It’s Official: 2012 Deficit Was $1.087T; $1T+ All 4 Yrs of Obama’s - See more at: htt

Fed Releases Discount-Window Loan Records During Crisis Under Court Order - Bloomberg

With little more than a phone call to one of 12 Federal Reserve banks, a bank anywhere in the country can ask for cash from the discount window. Banks typically have already given the Fed a list of unencumbered collateral that they use to pledge against the loans. The Fed gives the banks less than 100 cents on each dollar of collateral to protect itself from credit risk.
Discount-window lending was not the largest source of the Fed’s backstop aid during the crisis. Bernanke also devised programs to loan to U.S. government bond dealers, and to support the short-term debt financing of U.S. corporations.

comment

Bail out my ass. The ones who destroyed our economy got 9 Trillion in loans from the Federal Reserve at pennies on the dollar, aka Derivatives basically, from the Federal Reserve. Then paid off the loans from the Gov't and said, SEE WE PAID IT BACK, using the loans from the Federal Reserve to pay it.

GIANT SMOKE SCREEN and America bought the BS.

Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks $13 Billion Undisclosed to Congress - Bloomberg

No Clue
Lawmakers knew none of this.
They had no clue that one bank, New York-based Morgan Stanley (MS), took $107 billion in Fed loans in September 2008, enough to pay off one-tenth of the country’s delinquent mortgages. The firm’s peak borrowing occurred the same day Congress rejected the proposed TARP bill, triggering the biggest point drop ever in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. (INDU) The bill later passed, and Morgan Stanley got $10 billion of TARP funds, though Paulson said only “healthy institutions” were eligible.
Mark Lake, a spokesman for Morgan Stanley, declined to comment, as did spokesmen for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs.

Getting Bigger
Instead, the Fed and its secret financing helped America’s biggest financial firms get bigger and go on to pay employees as much as they did at the height of the housing bubble.
Total assets held by the six biggest U.S. banks increased 39 percent to $9.5 trillion on Sept. 30, 2011, from $6.8 trillion on the same day in 2006, according to Fed data.

What is your point? That has nothing to do with the spending problem and the government’s addiction to it. Your post is on another topic entirely and is not really connected to the discussion here. I bring up TARP as a spending item obscuring the 2009 overall numbers and the utter dishonesty in using those figures as Obama’s baseline to spending are true no matter how much it was a ‘smokescreen.’

Then by your logic Obama can't be held to account by the additions to the deficit caused by the bank bailout PLUS the lost tax revenues directly related to the recession PLUS the increases in mandatory spending directly related to the recession

since all of that occurs whether Obama is president or not.

What does all that reduce the 2009 deficit to?

Quit trying to blame Bush's bank bailout on Obama. That's where your made up calculations start.
No, they don’t because I have never made that claim.

FY2009 started in October 2008.

The bank bailout bill passed on Oct. 3, 2008.

What is your point? That is FY09 which is what we were discussing as that is the baseline that is used. The one that includes the bank bailouts.

It's simple:

You're trying to argue that Obama is bringing down government spending from a high baseline, namely FY2009, that Obama himself created.

That is not true.
No, I am not. You are making that up. You mad a specific claim – that spending peaked in 2009 and then continued to compare all Obama’s spending against that peak. I have pointed out why that is entirely dishonest. NO WHERE have I claimed FY09 had anything to do with Obama’s spending. Bush authorized 09. HOWEVER, the continual comparison between 09 spending and Obama’s spending as though 09 has any connection with what spending was like under the Bush years is completely dishonest. 09 represented damn near 20 percent increase in government spending in what 2was supposed to be temporary measures combating a recession. Instead, we have maintained that level of spending over the last 4 years – a level that should not have been maintained. All of the years after 09 are Obama’s responsibility, period.

1.6 trillion of the spending of the last 4 years was interest on the debt.

right, and as the debt gets larger the interest payments get larger. you do realize that we are ONLY paying the interest on the debt, nothing on the principal, right?

Do you libs think this can go on forever? Every time congress increases the debt ceiling, the problem gets worse. Why do you dem/libs support increasing the debt ceiling?

Adjusted for inflation, federal government spending PEAKED in FY 2009 (note that FY 2009 includes 3 months of 2008)

and has been lower than that peak year ever since.

No Republican president since Eisenhower has numbers like that.

Assuming that's true (that spending peaked in FY2009) that's nothing special if one explodes spending early on just to be able to claim "I've cut spending" later.

Fed Releases Discount-Window Loan Records During Crisis Under Court Order - Bloomberg

With little more than a phone call to one of 12 Federal Reserve banks, a bank anywhere in the country can ask for cash from the discount window. Banks typically have already given the Fed a list of unencumbered collateral that they use to pledge against the loans. The Fed gives the banks less than 100 cents on each dollar of collateral to protect itself from credit risk.
Discount-window lending was not the largest source of the Fed’s backstop aid during the crisis. Bernanke also devised programs to loan to U.S. government bond dealers, and to support the short-term debt financing of U.S. corporations.

comment

Bail out my ass. The ones who destroyed our economy got 9 Trillion in loans from the Federal Reserve at pennies on the dollar, aka Derivatives basically, from the Federal Reserve. Then paid off the loans from the Gov't and said, SEE WE PAID IT BACK, using the loans from the Federal Reserve to pay it.

GIANT SMOKE SCREEN and America bought the BS.

Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks $13 Billion Undisclosed to Congress - Bloomberg

No Clue
Lawmakers knew none of this.
They had no clue that one bank, New York-based Morgan Stanley (MS), took $107 billion in Fed loans in September 2008, enough to pay off one-tenth of the country’s delinquent mortgages. The firm’s peak borrowing occurred the same day Congress rejected the proposed TARP bill, triggering the biggest point drop ever in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. (INDU) The bill later passed, and Morgan Stanley got $10 billion of TARP funds, though Paulson said only “healthy institutions” were eligible.
Mark Lake, a spokesman for Morgan Stanley, declined to comment, as did spokesmen for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs.

Getting Bigger
Instead, the Fed and its secret financing helped America’s biggest financial firms get bigger and go on to pay employees as much as they did at the height of the housing bubble.
Total assets held by the six biggest U.S. banks increased 39 percent to $9.5 trillion on Sept. 30, 2011, from $6.8 trillion on the same day in 2006, according to Fed data.

What is your point? That has nothing to do with the spending problem and the government’s addiction to it. Your post is on another topic entirely and is not really connected to the discussion here. I bring up TARP as a spending item obscuring the 2009 overall numbers and the utter dishonesty in using those figures as Obama’s baseline to spending are true no matter how much it was a ‘smokescreen.’

TARP was a spending program which increased the debt so it is fair game and on topic.

Everytime I see it as an example of Gov't Spending I simply remind everyone that it was utter BS.

You see politicians saying LOOK IT'S PAID OFF, you see others go LOOK IT'S GOV'T DEBT.

Both are right and both are wrong. Which is exactly why attack TARP and the Lies it really covered up.

They didn't fully pay it back, and they borrowed from peter to pay paul for the funds re-payed. They would have gotten the money from the Reserve anyway, so the DEBT PART OF THAT wasn't even needed.

I agree with a showdown with the Libs on the Budget. Our Gov't is out of control and needs to be put on a leash. But I simply don't like the use of BS TARP in the discussion at all.

TARP was a spending program which increased the debt so it is fair game and on topic.

Everytime I see it as an example of Gov't Spending I simply remind everyone that it was utter BS.

You see politicians saying LOOK IT'S PAID OFF, you see others go LOOK IT'S GOV'T DEBT.

Both are right and both are wrong. Which is exactly why attack TARP and the Lies it really covered up.

They didn't fully pay it back, and they borrowed from peter to pay paul for the funds re-payed. They would have gotten the money from the Reserve anyway, so the DEBT PART OF THAT wasn't even needed.

I agree with a showdown with the Libs on the Budget. Our Gov't is out of control and needs to be put on a leash. But I simply don't like the use of BS TARP in the discussion at all.

?

It still has nothing to do with the topic. You brought up the ‘paid off’ line thought that is not even a point of contention because its current paid or not status has nothing to do with the fact that it obscured the numbers that single year. That is the only thing that really matters in the context of trying to compare Obama’s current spending to 09 levels.

What is your point? That is FY09 which is what we were discussing as that is the baseline that is used. The one that includes the bank bailouts.

The point is..that most of this stuff was "ordered" before Obama even took power.

And they left him with the check.

That is utterly false and blanket claim that the lefties like to make with nothing but lies to back them up. Things like the ‘Bush tax cuts’ are usually blamed for the massive deficits that we are running but then there are no more Bush tax cuts – they are now Obama tax cuts and have been for most of his tenure. The reality is that most programs are completely owned by Obama now and those that are from Bush he has made no effort to change. They are his.

That point was also never made in the posts that I was referring to so no; that was not the point given.

No it isn't.

And now you're losing the fight about deficits.

Because, much like under Clinton, it's going down.

Quit trying to blame Bush's bank bailout on Obama. That's where your made up calculations start.

It's simple:

You're trying to argue that Obama is bringing down government spending from a high baseline, namely FY2009, that Obama himself created.

That is not true.
No, I am not. You are making that up. You mad a specific claim – that spending peaked in 2009 and then continued to compare all Obama’s spending against that peak. I have pointed out why that is entirely dishonest. NO WHERE have I claimed FY09 had anything to do with Obama’s spending. Bush authorized 09. HOWEVER, the continual comparison between 09 spending and Obama’s spending as though 09 has any connection with what spending was like under the Bush years is completely dishonest. 09 represented damn near 20 percent increase in government spending in what 2was supposed to be temporary measures combating a recession. Instead, we have maintained that level of spending over the last 4 years – a level that should not have been maintained. All of the years after 09 are Obama’s responsibility, period.

What is dishonest about stating the simple fact that adjusted for inflation spending has come down from the 2009 peak,

a peak that was not set by Obama?

right, and as the debt gets larger the interest payments get larger. you do realize that we are ONLY paying the interest on the debt, nothing on the principal, right?

Do you libs think this can go on forever? Every time congress increases the debt ceiling, the problem gets worse. Why do you dem/libs support increasing the debt ceiling?

Adjusted for inflation, federal government spending PEAKED in FY 2009 (note that FY 2009 includes 3 months of 2008)

Assuming that's true (that spending peaked in FY2009) that's nothing special if one explodes spending early on just to be able to claim "I've cut spending" later.

The FY2009 budget was Bush's budget.

Yeah, and oddly, the last budget we've had. The do-nothing Dems & Barry Obumbler have been running the country with continuing resolutions for 4 years.

and that is the last government budget that the country has had. 5 obama years, no national budget. No budget votes in the senate, no house-passed budget bills allowed to be discussed in the senate, no conference committee on budgets.

its quite obvious that obama and the dems do not want a budget.

I also find it amusing that you libs continually use the logic that "bush did it, so its OK if obama does it". I did not realize that Bush was a role model for the left.

It's simple:

That is not true.

What is dishonest about stating the simple fact that adjusted for inflation spending has come down from the 2009 peak,

key words, the math that one uses to adjust for inflation can derive any result that you want.

In actual dollars, govt spending has gone up every year. Don't know about you but my budget is based on actual dollars in and actual dollars out.

questions for RW and sallow:

what was the national debt when obama took over?

what is the national debt today?

how much has obama paid down on the principal of our debt?

who is going to pay our debt and when?

what are we going to do when the interest on the debt takes 100% of govt revenue?

why don't the democrats in DC care about the national debt?

key words, the math that one uses to adjust for inflation can derive any result that you want.

In actual dollars, govt spending has gone up every year. Don't know about you but my budget is based on actual dollars in and actual dollars out.

Where are you buying your gasoline for 26 cents a gallon, because I'd like to fill up there.

That's what I paid when I had my first car.

That's what we'd be paying now if inflation was irrelevant.

and that is the last government budget that the country has had. 5 obama years, no national budget. No budget votes in the senate, no house-passed budget bills allowed to be discussed in the senate, no conference committee on budgets.

its quite obvious that obama and the dems do not want a budget.

I also find it amusing that you libs continually use the logic that "bush did it, so its OK if obama does it". I did not realize that Bush was a role model for the left.

We have had budgets. Continuing resolutions fund the government. They are de facto budgets.

what are we going to do when the interest on the debt takes 100% of govt revenue?

Bush abandoned PAYGO, which was doing more towards getting us fiscally straightened out than any other plan.

Bush abandoned PAYGO, which was doing more towards getting us fiscally straightened out than any other plan.

Then why, five years later, hasn't Barry Obumbler and his fellow Democrats returned to PAYGO if it were so great?

:lol:

Forum List

Back