It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

I got to ride in one. It was amazing. Now I like HP but I will get to that later. He got on the car and there was no noise, no fuss. no anything, it just pinned you into your seat. The car remained perfectly level, no wheel spin, no anything. Just amazing speed. It was really cool.

Now I like horsepower. I like the sound, but I also really like the electric cars also.......I don't understand why people get so upset over the choices of others. In 1.5 years my daughter will be out of college and we will look for a new car. Will it be electric? I don't know, it might, it might not. Either way I'll keep my Pontiac.

View attachment 590045
Been driving electric and ICE forklifts for over 40 years, big deal I hate electric forklifts for comparison...

EV vs American sports car

A Tesla Model S P100D with Ludicrous + mode engaged just set a new 4-door production sedan world record with a 10.72 second run down the 1/4-mile strip.

This Is How Fast The 2020 Corvette C8 Will Hit The 1/4-Mile time of 11.3 seconds,

One guy orders an electric car, and another an ICE car and you get upset.
Because the guy with the ICE car pays taxes on a gallon of gas for roads the electric car does not. Not besides poor people walking subsidize the guy with the EV

Been driving electric and ICE forklifts for over 40 years, big deal I hate electric forklifts for comparison...

I have an electric lawn mower. I love it. It's far quieter and weighs a lot less.

Because the guy with the ICE car pays taxes on a gallon of gas for roads the electric car does not. Not besides poor people walking subsidize the guy with the EV

There are yearly charges that electric car owners pay to pay for roads. I certainly do not know the laws of every state but there you are.

I got to ride in one. It was amazing. Now I like HP but I will get to that later. He got on the car and there was no noise, no fuss. no anything, it just pinned you into your seat. The car remained perfectly level, no wheel spin, no anything. Just amazing speed. It was really cool.

Now I like horsepower. I like the sound, but I also really like the electric cars also
An electric vehicle isn't for everybody. But even the gearheads will love EV's. I i'm still looking it up, but they may be the fastest street legal car for street racing (1/8th mile)

The Lamborghini Hurricane will take it in the 1/4 mile, but the 1/8th, the Tesla probably has them beat.

Not when you have 300 million EVs charging at night, like I said
Just the opposite. Charging at night, means that you can run the power plants at constant output, rather than using peaking generators to handle the daytime load (businesses, AC etc)

An electric vehicle isn't for everybody. But even the gearheads will love EV's. I i'm still looking it up, but they may be the fastest street legal car for street racing (1/8th mile)

The Lamborghini Hurricane will take it in the 1/4 mile, but the 1/8th, the Tesla probably has them beat.

Absolutely. Unfortunately there is money and power in trying to divide people over stupid things.

Just the opposite. Charging at night, means that you can run the power plants at constant output, rather than using peaking generators to handle the daytime load (businesses, AC etc)
So no solar or wind..

Check.

A Tesla charger will plug into a standard 240 outlet just like your dryer. Now that charger isn't going to charge your car 80% in 20 minutes like a fast charger but it most certainly will overnight in your garage.
Well for starters, there are no "standard" 240 outlets in a home other than ones put there for a reason.
Your home is wired for a certain max number of amps. Depending on your supply. Most modern homes have at least 100 amps.
Many 200 amps.
EV chargers use anywhere from 25 (the cheap ones) to 45 amps. In many homes that is almost half the amount the home can supply. If you put in charger and it's use, while say your dryer is on while you are blow drying your hair at the same time you are cooking a chicken... if installed incorrectly, it could overheat the homes wiring and cause a fire.
Edit that - it HAS caused fires.
A good EV charger, properly installed by someone knowing what they are doing is perfectly safe. No more danger than an electric furnace running for decades. But this is not what a lot of people do. And there are a lot of DIY folks who think they know what they are doing. Similar to wall gas furnaces. Lots of fires caused by them. Because the person who put it in didn't know what they were doing.

Well for starters, there are no "standard" 240 outlets in a home other than ones put there for a reason.

So yeah, standard 240 outlets. Should someone with no idea how to install one have an electrician do it? Sure, but it's a pretty basic install.

Wrong. Standard power going into a home

The 240 volts enters your house through a watt-hour meter, which measures your electrical consumption so the power company can charge you for putting up all of those wires. In the past, meter readers would periodically check your meter to record your usage.

So yeah, standard 240 outlets. Should someone with no idea how to install one have an electrician do it? Sure, but it's a pretty basic install.
figure_6-620x583.jpg

Standard power coming into the house is 2 wire 240 volts. They grab neutral from a waterpipe ground to get two 115 volt legs A and B.
240 just involves using both A and B 115v legs.

Forum List

Back