Zone1 I've been an atheist for 60 years and have never once been tempted to believe in any god

Status
Not open for further replies.
You condemn respect for Christians and seek to subordinate their faith.

It's not just Christianity I have equal contempt for all god based religions Don't forget religions and gods are not the same things.

And if you were secure in your faith then there would be no way anyone could subordinate it

When I was 10 years old, we had a dog named Silver. A sealyham - sort of a largish Westie. He had been struck by a car when I was much younger and that had left him blind in one eye. We adapted. He adapted. But whenever he entered an unfamiliar space (the furniture moved, for instance) he would collide with things. I felt bad for him. Like most children my age I believed what I was told was the truth by my parents and the church they took me to. So I prayed as fervently and selflessly as I could manage that God would restore his vision. But, as would happen in any bad movie, his poor vision led Silver to wandering out in front of another car where he suffered another concussion which left him completely blind. Now all dogs go to heaven because all dogs are innocent. Every non-human form of life is innocent of the many sins the Bible spells out. Initially, I was angry. How could God cause my innocent dog to suffer, regardless of his motive or intent? The standard "mysterious ways" line didn't help at all. What did help was the realization that the best explanation was not that god was mysterious or unknowable, but that he simply wasn't there. The existence of the god described by the Bible and by our preacher and the believers I would talk with was simply not possible; not only because it violated all the laws of nature but because absolutely no evidence I could find supported the idea. Every thing I could learn about the world and how it worked refuted the idea of a caring, personal god who had created miraculous humans and a miraculous Earth to be their home and was everpresent, watching over us and, on proper supplication, violating the laws that he himself had set in place - if he felt like it.

As the years went by I simply became more and more convinced that there is a great deal about the working of the universe we do not yet know, but the basics - the principal of uniformitarianism, holds, everywhere and everywhen. Nothing is supernatural. No will directs or inspires the stream of events taking place over the passage of time. Only physics.

What signs or signals should I have caught that might have lured me back to my childhood faith? And how might my life have been different had I done so? I have lots of friends and I'm pretty sure most of them think I'm a nice guy. I buy fully and heartily into the Golden Rule. I believe it to be the sole basis of human civilization. How do you think my complete lack of divine faith hurt me? Will your god throw into a lake of fire because I led a good life but failed to do him obeisance? That is, of course, precisely what scriptures tells us. Why would ANY of you believe, much less WORSHIP such a god? He seems a monster. Would anyone care to correct me?

So?

I don't think Buddhism is a religion but rather a philosophy for living. There are no gods, no sins no canonical laws. In its inception Buddhism was nothing but a man's search for a way to be free from suffering and it is a human solution not a divine one. All The Buddha ever said was "This worked for me. Try it"
And that is how people think of their faith--a philosophy for living. Don't fool yourself. There are institutions in Buddhism as well. There are "laws" for following the way of Buddha as well. To say they are not "canon" doesn't make them any less "law" (what one should do to reach the goal/nirvana).

What some don't realize is that the Bible uses so many forms of literature: Fables, Just-so stories, hyperbole, apocalyptic literature, metaphors, allegory, folklore, legends--and more. Those can be a distraction, and often are when one takes their eyes off the lesson(s) being taught. Our ancestors were brilliant at weaving stories around truths and lessons. They would have been proud of Aesop, but probably not so much of modern novelists.

You appear to be one of those who take the Bible literally--so much so that you believe you are superior to God (at least the way our ancestors worked to present the unknown). They would be dismayed that the way they presented God made it impossible for your to worship. They thought differently. They made their points differently. And they used a visual language with only a few thousand words. Interpreting and translating that language into subjective languages with many thousands of words....They worked within their own language, not ours.
another good post, meri, mich of our religious disagreement stems from the loud crowd that insists the scripture is literally true. exactly 7 24 hour days of creation, suns stopping in the sky and such are metaphors. these stories are "true" at a level beyond the words of their telling.

And that is how people think of their faith--a philosophy for living. Don't fool yourself. There are institutions in Buddhism as well. There are "laws" for following the way of Buddha as well. To say they are not "canon" doesn't make them any less "law" (what one should do to reach the goal/nirvana).

None of those later incarnations of Buddhism were established by Siddhartha. As with most simple ideas people of later generations complicate them by trying to interpret them into being something they never were in the first place which is why there are now different "schools" of Buddhism.

The path to enlightenment was always an achievable human endeavor and that's all the Buddha ever said it was.

There are no "laws" just as there are no "sins" in Buddhism.

And if you were secure in your faith then there would be no way anyone could subordinate it
The security of my beliefs in no way negates your contempt, mockery and attack of my faith. That's all on you and your failed behaviors.

So touting the historical accuracy of the bible is a little ridiculous.

It's a religious text produced with the express purpose of propagating a religion
The Bible teaches a way of life.

But see what you did? Instead of "A way of life", it became a "religious text for propagating an institution." That is prejudice. And short-sighted. The Book of Exodus--most likely the very book that drew you into your contempt of God--is all about a different way of life for a tribe of people living in the midst of other tribes. It's obvious, and shouldn't have passed over your head.

The security of my beliefs in no way negates your contempt, mockery and attack of my faith. That's all on you and your failed behaviors.

So what? Why is your faith above all question?

THAT is the flaw of the religious.

Anyone can question, criticize and condemn your religion you are not entitled to deem it otherwise.

Get real. Obviously you can read and most likely you are more than nine years old and you believe that stuff. Real stupid stuff.

So how does that make me an atheist?

Oh yeah it doesn't.

By definition.

What definition are you using ... the prefix a- usually means "against" ... apolitical, asocial, aseptic ... so atheist is "against theism" ...

The old religion included child sacrifice ... until one person decided to sacrifice a ram instead and see if he would get struck down by lightning ... well, he didn't get struck down by lightning and so he started a new religion that didn't involve child sacrifice ... that's how things were done 4,000 years ago ...

Christ made child support payments a matter of religious importance ... is that why you hate God? ... because you're just hating yourself and your children ... what does the Theory of Evolution do to the offspring that parents don't take care of? ...

Hint: they get eaten ...

When I was 10 years old, we had a dog named Silver. A sealyham - sort of a largish Westie. He had been struck by a car when I was much younger and that had left him blind in one eye. We adapted. He adapted. But whenever he entered an unfamiliar space (the furniture moved, for instance) he would collide with things. I felt bad for him. Like most children my age I believed what I was told was the truth by my parents and the church they took me to. So I prayed as fervently and selflessly as I could manage that God would restore his vision. But, as would happen in any bad movie, his poor vision led Silver to wandering out in front of another car where he suffered another concussion which left him completely blind. Now all dogs go to heaven because all dogs are innocent. Every non-human form of life is innocent of the many sins the Bible spells out. Initially, I was angry. How could God cause my innocent dog to suffer, regardless of his motive or intent? The standard "mysterious ways" line didn't help at all. What did help was the realization that the best explanation was not that god was mysterious or unknowable, but that he simply wasn't there. The existence of the god described by the Bible and by our preacher and the believers I would talk with was simply not possible; not only because it violated all the laws of nature but because absolutely no evidence I could find supported the idea. Every thing I could learn about the world and how it worked refuted the idea of a caring, personal god who had created miraculous humans and a miraculous Earth to be their home and was everpresent, watching over us and, on proper supplication, violating the laws that he himself had set in place - if he felt like it.

As the years went by I simply became more and more convinced that there is a great deal about the working of the universe we do not yet know, but the basics - the principal of uniformitarianism, holds, everywhere and everywhen. Nothing is supernatural. No will directs or inspires the stream of events taking place over the passage of time. Only physics.

What signs or signals should I have caught that might have lured me back to my childhood faith? And how might my life have been different had I done so? I have lots of friends and I'm pretty sure most of them think I'm a nice guy. I buy fully and heartily into the Golden Rule. I believe it to be the sole basis of human civilization. How do you think my complete lack of divine faith hurt me? Will your god throw into a lake of fire because I led a good life but failed to do him obeisance? That is, of course, precisely what scriptures tells us. Why would ANY of you believe, much less WORSHIP such a god? He seems a monster. Would anyone care to correct me?

I've found that few people think about God as much as so-called "atheists". You're further proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back