Zone1 I've been an atheist for 60 years and have never once been tempted to believe in any god

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Good or evil depends on the intention why to use a lie and on the effects of such a lie. You do not have to risk a heart attack by telling someone what's a lie ... or what's true. Love is the most important.

Telling a lie is strictly self-serving ... the opposite of love ... it's certainly easier to tell you "go ahead and eat all the salt you want" and just let you have that heart attack ... the intentions of the lie is to avoid yet another fight ... so here's the salt shaker, go ahead and use it ... I'm taking the selfish route and not arguing with you anymore about it ...

14 - And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
15 - Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
-- 2 Thessalonians chap. 3

If you love someone, you tell them The Truth ... even if they don't want to hear it ... or don't call yourself a Christian ...

The Bible teaches a way of life.

But see what you did? Instead of "A way of life", it became a "religious text for propagating an institution." That is prejudice. And short-sighted. The Book of Exodus--most likely the very book that drew you into your contempt of God--is all about a different way of life for a tribe of people living in the midst of other tribes. It's obvious, and shouldn't have passed over your head.

A way of life to be judged by the whims of a god.

That's the because I said so part or rather the because a god says so part

The Bible was authored by the church for the church and the RCC in particular appointed itself the sole arbiter of its interpretation

All that makes the bible just another tool of those institutions listed earlier

That's not the point. You believe things that are unbelievable. Why do you do that?
In fairness to Ding, he isn't saying that he's a believer. He's a conditional believer, meaning that he believes the bibles to not be the word of his god.

This confusion is caused by the Catholic church's backsliding on creation and now accepting Darwinian evolution.

That, as well as their pope now recognizing same sex couples as legitimate in the eyes of the Catholic church.

Ding has difficulties with some of the necessary changes in attitude of his church, but let's just say that he's adapting with modern demands placed on his religion.

So now you have moved to acceptance. That's progress.
Nope.

I can question, impugn and criticize any religion I want to since religions have nothing to do with gods and everything to do with how humans interpret those gods.

A person can believe in gods and not believe any human made religion is valid

But that's just another concept that you can't grasp

and once again we see you resorting to taking things out of context as the entire post said this

So what? Why is your faith above all question?

THAT is the flaw of the religious.

Anyone can question, criticize and condemn your religion you are not entitled to deem it otherwise.

You'll note the existence of gods was not the subject of that post

In fairness to Ding, he isn't saying that he's a believer. He's a conditional believer, meaning that he believes the bibles to not be the word of his god.

This confusion is caused by the Catholic church's backsliding on creation and now accepting Darwinian evolution.

That, as well as their pope now recognizing same sex couples as legitimate in the eyes of the Catholic church.

Ding has difficulties with some of the necessary changes in attitude of his church, but let's just say that he's adapting with modern demands placed on his religion.
I rather he speaks for himself

The security of my beliefs in no way negates your contempt, mockery and attack of my faith. That's all on you and your failed behaviors.
Ding please! Raising questions on the Catholic church's backsliding away from asking the flock to be literal believers in what we both agree is nonsense in a modern world, is not attacking!

Constructive criticism is due if done politely!

Surely the Catholic church must have prepared for the backlash by true believers.

What definition are you using ... the prefix a- usually means "against" ... apolitical, asocial, aseptic ... so atheist is "against theism" ...

The old religion included child sacrifice ... until one person decided to sacrifice a ram instead and see if he would get struck down by lightning ... well, he didn't get struck down by lightning and so he started a new religion that didn't involve child sacrifice ... that's how things were done 4,000 years ago ...

Christ made child support payments a matter of religious importance ... is that why you hate God? ... because you're just hating yourself and your children ... what does the Theory of Evolution do to the offspring that parents don't take care of? ...

Hint: they get eaten ...

I have never once said anything other than I do not know if gods exist or not therefore by definition I am not an atheist

A way of life to be judged by the whims of a god.

That's the because I said so part or rather the because a god says so part

The Bible was authored by the church for the church and the RCC in particular appointed itself the sole arbiter of its interpretation

All that makes the bible just another tool of those institutions listed earlier
All incorrect. I choose not to pursue the lies posted.

When I was 10 years old, we had a dog named Silver. A sealyham - sort of a largish Westie. He had been struck by a car when I was much younger and that had left him blind in one eye. We adapted. He adapted. But whenever he entered an unfamiliar space (the furniture moved, for instance) he would collide with things. I felt bad for him. Like most children my age I believed what I was told was the truth by my parents and the church they took me to. So I prayed as fervently and selflessly as I could manage that God would restore his vision. But, as would happen in any bad movie, his poor vision led Silver to wandering out in front of another car where he suffered another concussion which left him completely blind. Now all dogs go to heaven because all dogs are innocent. Every non-human form of life is innocent of the many sins the Bible spells out. Initially, I was angry. How could God cause my innocent dog to suffer, regardless of his motive or intent? The standard "mysterious ways" line didn't help at all. What did help was the realization that the best explanation was not that god was mysterious or unknowable, but that he simply wasn't there. The existence of the god described by the Bible and by our preacher and the believers I would talk with was simply not possible; not only because it violated all the laws of nature but because absolutely no evidence I could find supported the idea. Every thing I could learn about the world and how it worked refuted the idea of a caring, personal god who had created miraculous humans and a miraculous Earth to be their home and was everpresent, watching over us and, on proper supplication, violating the laws that he himself had set in place - if he felt like it.

As the years went by I simply became more and more convinced that there is a great deal about the working of the universe we do not yet know, but the basics - the principal of uniformitarianism, holds, everywhere and everywhen. Nothing is supernatural. No will directs or inspires the stream of events taking place over the passage of time. Only physics.

What signs or signals should I have caught that might have lured me back to my childhood faith? And how might my life have been different had I done so? I have lots of friends and I'm pretty sure most of them think I'm a nice guy. I buy fully and heartily into the Golden Rule. I believe it to be the sole basis of human civilization. How do you think my complete lack of divine faith hurt me? Will your god throw into a lake of fire because I led a good life but failed to do him obeisance? That is, of course, precisely what scriptures tells us. Why would ANY of you believe, much less WORSHIP such a god? He seems a monster. Would anyone care to correct me?
I’ve never been tempted to believe in Zeus either, but I don’t feel so insecure in my lack of faith in Greek gods to start OP’s proclaiming it.

Nope.

I can question, impugn and criticize any religion I want to since religions have nothing to do with gods and everything to do with how humans interpret those gods.

A person can believe in gods and not believe any human made religion is valid

But that's just another concept that you can't grasp

and once again we see you resorting to taking things out of context as the entire post said this

So what? Why is your faith above all question?

THAT is the flaw of the religious.

Anyone can question, criticize and condemn your religion you are not entitled to deem it otherwise.

You'll note the existence of gods was not the subject of that post
Be patient with Ding, he's adapting to his church springing changes to the gospel that comes as a surprise nearly every day.

Yesterday it was in style for his church to condemn same sex couples. Today anything goes even though it's meant to accommodate the priests?

A rose that does not carry the threat of divine retribution is just a rose

sin is a violation of religious law there is no such thing in Buddhism
The definition of sin is, "Missing the target." (Again, it comes from a language that uses pictures. It is not subjective.) If one fails in an aspect/element of the Buddhist way, has one missed the target or have they hit the target dead on, even though they failed in that specific instance?

Have you not heard of divine mercy? Why are you focused on retribution?

The definition of sin is, "Missing the target." (Again, it comes from a language that uses pictures. It is not subjective.) If one fails in an aspect/element of the Buddhist way, has one missed the target or have they hit the target dead on, even though they failed in that specific instance?

Have you not heard of divine mercy? Why are you focused on retribution?

a
: an offense against religious or moral law

I have never once said anything other than I do not know if gods exist or not therefore by definition I am not an atheist
Actually, it means you are. None of these people say they know if gods exist or not either:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back