Jodi Arias Penalty

Wow! I am shocked the jury was not aware that if the didn't come to a decision that there would be a mistrial. Maybe he thinks it's a mistrial on the whole case? He seemed so disappointed about that and said they were all so upset about learning that fact. It really almost seemed that he thought it was a mistrial for the whole case but I'm sure they asked the judge about it and got clarification.

I had not seen that interview Tink, so thanks!

Oh wow I really didn't think about that I hope he knows its not a mistrial for whole case

I like him, too. Didn't he seem so upset about not being aware of the consequences of not reaching a decision? He mentioned it a couple of times. Also, in most states, there is no sentencing re-trial option. If they can't decide unanimously for DP then it automatically reverts to life and the judge decides with or without parole. I'm just surprised he was surprised. You'd think the judge makes the jury aware of the process but I guess not. Hmmm.

I wonder if that 8-4 number is even right because he is not verifying it and says they promised they wouldn't say. Interesting.

I like him, too. Didn't he seem so upset about not being aware of the consequences of not reaching a decision? He mentioned it a couple of times. Also, in most states, there is no sentencing re-trial option. If they can't decide unanimously for DP then it automatically reverts to life and the judge decides with or without parole. I'm just surprised he was surprised. You'd think the judge makes the jury aware of the process but I guess not. Hmmm.

Yeah he did seem upset. I was going to say what did he expect but you are right maybe he thought it reverted to life, but if that's the case and that's what they thought why not all come back with life? Did they just not want it to be on them? I wonder what the sealed questions were? Maybe some thing to do with that? I like that he took his responsibility so seriously and recognized that it is a tragedy for both families.

I thought the jury could decide on life or LWOP? Its one of their options...its why both sides argued it so intensely. They make their recommendation and the judge goes with it. Thats why if they dont decide, then the judge decides on life or LWOP, but only if both jurys deadlock.

They have to unanimously decide on something, but not necessarily death.

Last edited:
But I wouldn't be surprised if that was the split. Sounds right to me. I think the majority would have gone for DP. I thought there was a good chance she'd get it.

Yeah he did seem upset. I was going to say what did he expect but you are right maybe he thought it reverted to life, but if that's the case and that's what they thought why not all come back with life? Did they just not want it to be on them? I wonder what the sealed questions were? Maybe some thing to do with that? I like that he took his responsibility so seriously and recognized that it is a tragedy for both families.

I think they genuinely could not agree. Neither side would change their votes. So I think they thought it would be split, the DP would not be imposed, and the judge would sentence LWP or LWOP.

The whole thing about life was very unclear. This is all just speculating. But maybe since they didn't know it would be a mistrial they were dead locked on the 2 life possibilities and figured let the judge decide?

I can't remember but in the closings didn't Wilmott only argue that it would be LWOP and then JM said that it was possible for her to parole and Wilmott objected?

I thought the jury could decide on life or LWOP? Its one of their options...its why both sides argued it so intensely. They make their recommendation and the judge goes with it. Thats why if they dont decide, then the judge decides on life or LWOP, but only if both jurys deadlock.

They have to unanimously decide on something, but not necessarily death.

I don't think so. They would have had to all agree life or all agree death, true. But if they all agreed life, then it would be up to the judge to decide whether LWP or LWOP. Actually no one argued about the parole issue. The defense attorneys were just arguing for life.

I could have sworn Wilmott said she will spend the REST of her life in prison, the only difference is whether it is shortened or not. And Juan said something about being eligible for parole I can't remember exactly what but Wilmott jumped up pissed about it.

I thought they could recommend one or the other of life sentences. Maybe they couldn't even agree on that?

I don't know how they will find another unbiased jury. After hearing him speak I really think this was the fairest shot she had.

I can't remember but in the closings didn't Wilmott only argue that it would be LWOP and then JM said that it was possible for her to parole and Wilmott objected?

Yes, that's true. But that was misleading on her part. Juan could have objected at that point but he chose not but to clear it up during his closing. Juan got up and told the truth, that there are no guarantees that life means LWOP. Willmott objected on the grounds that the jury is not supposed to consider what will happen after they make their decision which was just to decide life or death. It was gamesmanship. Willmott knew she was trying to slip something in and Juan let her, only to clear it up later.

I dont understand this juror at all...he didnt know that it would be a mistrial? How is it a mistrial for one? And what did he expect with a hung jury? Hes the damn foreman and he doesnt know the consequence of the decision...he blames it on the instructions...then you leave the courthouse and still arent clear on it. Lord!!! This is why legal experts should be jurors, not plumbers trying to learn the legal system over night. Its what I cant stand about our legal system.

Then he doesnt even say what the split was....geez dude its not like you came to a decision...you hung so give the splits.

Last edited:
I could have sworn Wilmott said she will spend the REST of her life in prison, the only difference is whether it is shortened or not. And Juan said something about being eligible for parole I can't remember exactly what but Wilmott jumped up pissed about it.

I thought they could recommend one or the other of life sentences. Maybe they couldn't even agree on that?

I don't know how they will find another unbiased jury. After hearing him speak I really think this was the fairest shot she had.

Neither of them should have spoken about the parole issue. Willmott opened the door and did her bit of editorializing since she has her hunch the severity of this crime would lead to LWOP but she should not have mislead the jury into thinking that was a foregone conclusion. Juan elaborated on it and, I think, put egg on Willmott's face for saying that. Neither of them should be speaking to the jury about anything that is not their job to decide. I am quite certain the judge is the only one to make the parole decision. Not sure if that's true everywhere but def in AZ.

I don't know about the odds of her getting the DP with another jury.

I agree, he could have divulged the split. But he did say they learned how much public emotion there is about the case and I think they didn't want people speculating who wanted what as some type of insulation or protection. Not sure.

I agree, he could have divulged the split. But he did say they learned how much public emotion there is about the case and I think they didn't want people speculating who wanted what as some type of insulation or protection. Not sure.

Yeah, he talked about it being a personal decision. But to me, that kind of information would be good for the family to know and the prosecution. I guess what goes around comes around...they had information withheld from them and now they can do the same...lol.

Forum List

Back