🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Liberalism

Good link, very good.

It uses the metaphor right at the beginning, "Coke versus Pepsi". Exactly. Good cop/bad cop.

Like the target of that metaphor, the Coke and Pepsi companies are in much more a collusion than the competition they pretend in their propaganda; they know full well that an advertisement for either one is an advertisement for the idea of drinking brown fizzy cola water with a quarter ton of sugar dumped into it -- and therefore serves the interests of both. But try to introduce RC Cola or a third party, and watch them unite to keep them away.

They know full well, as do the two party, that given meaningless pseudodistinctions you can always count on the proles to miss the forest and get all hung up on the trees.

Though the point is well taken, it's off topic, since the topic is Liberalism, not the two party. Political philosophies are grounded, whereas political parties bend with the wind.

Political philosophies might be grounded but they find expression and implementation through the political parties.

There may be little difference between democrats and republicans concerning foreign policy, fiscal policy, many aspects of domestic policy – but when it comes to social policy and civil law, there are in fact differences.

For example, there is no collusion between republicans and democrats with regard to denying same-sex couples their right to equal protection of the law when such couples seek to marry, that 's solely the purview of republicans. And republicans alone are hostile to privacy rights for women and due process rights for immigrants. Indeed, with regard to the former, a Federal court just this Tuesday blocked a Mississippi statute seeking to deny women their right to privacy, where a provision of that law manifested an undue burden on women to exercise the right to privacy – a law written by a republican lawmaker and enacted into law by a republican legislative majority.

“A plague on both your houses” might have some merit, but to perceive both major political parties as 'identical' is simply not accurate.

your version of US history is very inaccurate.

No one wants to deny gays the right to make a binding legal committment to each other. The difference is that such a committment is not a marriage.

Those who use the term 'liberal' as a pejorative, are those who live by this code: "I've got mine, fuck the rest of you".

Thus, anyone who roots for the underdog, wants to see their tax dollars aid and assist those in need (children, the aged, the infirm and those who struggle every day without health insurance; work two or more jobs, but earn less than necessary to properly eat, clothe and shelter themselves and their dependents) and not be spent to provide tax breaks to corporations or on military adventurism are the enemy within, aka liberals.

Of course, liberals support human rights without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender or sexual orientation, and that too is cause for a self righteous conservative to modify the word to "liberal scum" or "libtard".

You'll notice many on the far right are barely literate, most of their posts are against someone or something and usually limited to a sentence, liberally (ironic huh?) filled with various uses of the word "fuck".

In other words, "All traits that are good and virtuous are possessed by my side. None by the opposition. No traits that are bad or morally repugnant are possessed by my side. All are possessed by the opposition."

All of us tend to agree with those who think the same way we do. Frustration from the perceived blindness of those who disagree sometimes boils over into rage and name calling. Some people are closer to the edge to begin with and easily tip beyond. Others are calmer by nature and rarely get riled up enough to become unbalanced. Pretending that either side has a monopoly on either sort is just biased head-in-sand ignorance.
I have always felt that the argument that BOTH sides are the same was just a corollary to "They started it." It appears to be an attempt to cover over the faults and failings of their party by saying the two parties are the same. They are not. There is no way in hell you can prove to me that the behavior of the current House republicans and the behavior of the Democrats is the same. IF it were the same there would be agreement and working together on bills. THAT has not happened. In fact that is the reason we currently have have the worst Congress in history. In fact, during my lifetime I have never seen as much obstructionism as I am seeing now. Most Democrats did not like gwb but they still tried to work with him. As far as republicans working with Obama there is not even a pretext of doing so. Their only goal is to try to stop everything Obama does and if you cannot see that you are blind as well as stupid.

In fact, House Dems and Repubs do manage to hammer out legislation which dies when it reaches the Dem controlled Senate.

Those who use the term 'liberal' as a pejorative, are those who live by this code: "I've got mine, fuck the rest of you".

Thus, anyone who roots for the underdog, wants to see their tax dollars aid and assist those in need (children, the aged, the infirm and those who struggle every day without health insurance; work two or more jobs, but earn less than necessary to properly eat, clothe and shelter themselves and their dependents) and not be spent to provide tax breaks to corporations or on military adventurism are the enemy within, aka liberals.

Of course, liberals support human rights without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender or sexual orientation, and that too is cause for a self righteous conservative to modify the word to "liberal scum" or "libtard".

You'll notice many on the far right are barely literate, most of their posts are against someone or something and usually limited to a sentence, liberally (ironic huh?) filled with various uses of the word "fuck".

In other words, "All traits that are good and virtuous are possessed by my side. None by the opposition. No traits that are bad or morally repugnant are possessed by my side. All are possessed by the opposition."

All of us tend to agree with those who think the same way we do. Frustration from the perceived blindness of those who disagree sometimes boils over into rage and name calling. Some people are closer to the edge to begin with and easily tip beyond. Others are calmer by nature and rarely get riled up enough to become unbalanced. Pretending that either side has a monopoly on either sort is just biased head-in-sand ignorance.
I have always felt that the argument that BOTH sides are the same was just a corollary to "They started it." It appears to be an attempt to cover over the faults and failings of their party by saying the two parties are the same. They are not. There is no way in hell you can prove to me that the behavior of the current House republicans and the behavior of the Democrats is the same. IF it were the same there would be agreement and working together on bills. THAT has not happened. In fact that is the reason we currently have have the worst Congress in history. In fact, during my lifetime I have never seen as much obstructionism as I am seeing now. Most Democrats did not like gwb but they still tried to work with him. As far as republicans working with Obama there is not even a pretext of doing so. Their only goal is to try to stop everything Obama does and if you cannot see that you are blind as well as stupid.

You might want to try reading my post again. Perhaps you meant to reply to a different post than mine.

I did not say that the parties are the same. I said that, as humans, members of both parties are subject to the same human frailties. Again, claiming that one side is immune to human frailty is ignorant.

Start with the dictionary. If you have any human decency at all, they will call you liberal scum.
No, but we will call YOU liberal scum.

and SJ makes a fool of hiomself again ... opens mouth insert dick
Not only are you an illiterate moron, you're also a homosexual.

BTW, why didn't you show up to claim your prize for "Dumbest Liberal On USMB"? Couldn't tear yourself away from the bath house? :lol:

Forum List

Back