Listen to the exact words in the exact books Democrats want in our public school libraries

Well YOU obviously haven't read the Bible because it's full of adultery, incest, violence, and all manner of sexual deviance. Samson and Delilah, David and Bathsheba, Lot and his daughters. Women were stoned for adultery.

The first time I read the Bible from start to finish I was 14 and it was shocking to me the stuff I was reading.

So when you say there's nothing in the Bible that's salacious, I know that YOU haven't read the Bible at all.

Actually, one of the stories that shocked me in the bible was when David's son, Amnon, raped his sister, Tamar. He was then subsequently murdered by his brother Absolom, who led a revolt against David.

Then, there is the story in Judges 19, which is very similar to the story in Genesis 19. A Levite turns over his wife or concubine to an angry mob who gang rapes her to death. He then cuts her up to 12 pieces and sends one part off to each tribe. That instigates a genocide against the tribe of Benjamin.

He mentioned other books banned or restricted through the years: “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” by Maya Angelou; “The Handmaid’s Tale,” by Margaret Atwood; “Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass,” an autobiography; “A Raisin in the Sun,” by Lorraine Hansberry; “Beloved,” by Toni Morrison; and “Maus” by Art Spiegelman. Easels spread around the hearing room in the Hart Senate Office Building held pictures of those book covers.

According to a March report from the Chicago-based American Library Association, the vast majority of the most threatened books “were written by or about members of the LGBTQIA+ community and people of color.”

But what is going on now is not a literary debate or an organized peaceful clash over values. Librarians and teachers, Durbin said, “have been threatened with physical violence and criminal prosecution by a small group of zealots.”

Giannoulias, who as secretary of state also serves as the state librarian, told the committee: “Tragically, our libraries have become the Thunderdomes of controversy and strife across our nation, the like of which we’ve never seen before. Those radical attacks on our libraries have divided our communities, and our librarians have been harassed, threatened and intimidated for simply doing their jobs.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., the top Republican on the panel, said the Senate had no role in this local debate.

I don't often agree with Graham, but he's right.
Raisin in the motherfucking Sun?

That G-rated masterpiece has been banned/restricted?

These people are tragic & dangerous maniacs...

Actually, one of the stories that shocked me in the bible was when David's son, Amnon, raped his sister, Tamar. He was then subsequently murdered by his brother Absolom, who led a revolt against David.

Then, there is the story in Judges 19, which is very similar to the story in Genesis 19. A Levite turns over his wife or concubine to an angry mob who gang rapes her to death. He then cuts her up to 12 pieces and sends one part off to each tribe. That instigates a genocide against the tribe of Benjamin.

But is there gay stuff? :eek:

Raisin in the motherfucking Sun?

That G-rated masterpiece has been banned/restricted?

These people are tragic & dangerous maniacs...

Isn't that the book about preschoolers planting raisins, thinking they would grow grape plants?

That's what I heard. And you know that's right. Just accept it.

Lovely notion, but no.

The title is taken from a poem by the gay - :eek: - poet Langston Hughes, and references Black struggle.

I believe you, and this is part of why people like you shouldn't be dictating library policy. :)

See above.

Hey liar, not a single chapter and verse quoted by you in this thread.

Pony up. Where in the Bible are these things GLORIFIED? You said it repeatedly. Pony up.

Hey liar, not a single chapter and verse quoted by you in this thread.
I never said there were.

I referenced, and others cited.

Read this thread to learn more:

Pony up. Where in the Bible are these things GLORIFIED? You said it repeatedly. Pony up.
Look at posts by JoeB131 - he's the primary citer, though there are others:

Well, there's Genesis 19, where the whole town wanted to gay rape some angels... and God killed them for it except for Lot, who was so "righteous" he promptly had drunken sex with both his daughters.

Which begs the question, how drunk do you have to be to have sex with both your daughters and not remember it?

Well, there's Genesis 19, where the whole town wanted to gay rape some angels... and God killed them for it except for Lot, who was so "righteous" he promptly had drunken sex with both his daughters.

Which begs the question, how drunk do you have to be to have sex with both your daughters and not remember it?

Ask Joe about daughters

I never said there were.

I have him on ignore. YOU are making the claim, so YOU do the homework. It should be a simple matter of copy and paste.

I never said there were.

Oh I see he cited Genesis 19. Please cite where rape and murder is GLORIFIED because I'm not seeing it.

Really want to see chapter and verse on glorifying child rape too

No, not really, other than the story of Lot and the Angels, but many feel this is a mis-translation, that the real sins of Sodom was their refusal to welcome stangers, which basically sentenced them to death in the desert. The "intercourse" they asked for was to speak to the strangers to determine if they were to be welcomed or not.

The only time sex is mentioned as a sin is the 7th Commandment, which is the sin of adultery. Which somehow right wing Christians have taken to mean "If a man has sex with a woman who is engaged or married, this is adultery, but if a man who is married has sex with a single woman, it's not adultery.

Yes Christian religions have twisted the Bible into prohibiting all kinds of sex that neither God nor Jesus ever mentioned: premarital sex, homosexual sex. They claim masturbation is wrong because of Onan, but Onan's sin wasn't masturbation, it was disobeying God's order to impregnant his brother's widow, not masturbation.

One of the reasons why the invention of the printing press triggered the Great Reformation, was that people were able to read the Bible for themselves, and come up with their own interpretations of what it said, instead of following whatever the Catholic Church decreed be taught.

Mainstream Christianity, in this day and age, at least, is far to focussed on women's sexual sins, and not nearly focussed enough on the "Love one another as I have loved you" aspect, or "Treat others as you would like to be treated".

They also miss out on that whole "Judge not lest you be judged", and completely miss the second part of Jesus' admonition, which is whatever punishment you wish on others, will be visited on you.

And let's be honest here, who really wants to read about the trials of Job? And why would God do that to a man who loved him? Pustules in the mouth?????

Oh I see he cited Genesis 19. Please cite where rape and murder is GLORIFIED because I'm not seeing it.

Snap to. Get it now!!! Who died and made you Queen of the World?

Google works really well.

Lovely notion, but no.

The title is taken from a poem by the gay - :eek: - poet Langston Hughes, and references Black struggle.

I believe you, and this is part of why people like you shouldn't be dictating library policy. :)

See above.

By your reasoning, The Diary of Anne Frank GLORIFIES Nazis and GLORIFIES the Holocaust. Hey, it's in the book!

He made several posts.

You can check them, or the Bible, or Google.
I don't think you do, or you would have by now.

But I'm genuinely impressed that you're hanging in there, steeped in denial as you are.

Eventually, you're either going to have to face the reality of the Bible's extremely disturbing pedophilia-glorifying content - only (and just barely) appropriate for 12+ readers - or put me on ignore as well as anyone else who challenges your denial.

He made several posts.

You can check them, or the Bible, or Google.

I don't think you do, or you would have by now.

But I'm genuinely impressed that you're hanging in there, steeped in denial as you are.

Eventually, you're either going to have to face the reality of the Bible's extremely disturbing pedophilia-glorifying content - only (and just barely) appropriate for 12+ readers - or put me on ignore as well as anyone else who challenges your denial.

I got a call out thread for you. Go there. Certainly as many times as you have mentioned the Bible and "child rape", it's easy enough to find them. Don't you have Google?

By your reasoning, The Diary of Anne Frank GLORIFIES Nazis and GLORIFIES the Holocaust. Hey, it's in the book!
Does the Diary of Ann Frank ever suggest killing jews in the name of Hitler was a good thing? One of the very first stories in the Bible is about God commanding Abraham to sacrifice his son and treats his willingness to do so in the name of God as a blessing that is rewarded with his line being the seed for the Israelites.

Do you think these stories are GLORIFYING these things--or showing the horrendous consequences of sin?
Okay.

There's the thoughtful Sue I know. :)

I think they're doing one, the other, and/or both, depending.

Do you think the passage cited from Lawn Boy is glorifying anal sex?

Does The Godfather glorify violence and depravity?

I think it's very complicated - art, great literature and life - and that events may be, and often are, both debased and admired therein.

^ My thoughtful reply to your thoughtful inquiry.

Forum List

Back