Lockdowns Did Not Work

No one, not even the sports teams owners, are talking about reopening sporting events by packing fans into stadiums, so all you did was toss out a straw dog.

You're wrong.

The title of this thread is "LOCKDOWNS DID NOT WORK".

The hell they didn't! The lock downs worked better than expected...mainly because so many people cooperated and nobody thought they would (Americans are a a pesky bunch).

Then you have simple common sense. I have much much MUCH less of a chance catching a virus while sitting at home alone than I do being in a crowd (bus, train, plane, stadium, restaurant, etc.).

And finally...it's a "STRAW MAN"...not straw dog :)
There was interesting poll which asked the question, "What is it your greatest fear of the cornovirus?" I don't remember the percentages but the overwhelming number said, "giving the virus to my family or friends." "Not having money to provide for my family." came in second, and "Catching the virus. came in third. This epidemic is revealing that Americans have a strong social conscience. They really do care about others and will make sacrifices for them. This is why the shutdown and social distancing is working, not because of fear of being arrested.
It is guaranteed that as many as 5% of those who get the virus die.
"AS MANY AS"...that's not amorphous at all.
As many as 5% of? Octogenarians? Cancer patients? Immune compromised? Clowns? Yogis?

I included a link, but Trumptards don't need no links. Whatever Professor Tingle Ingergoober Bloober. :)
I know you did...unfortunately it's fucking USA Today. Where is the study? Not a story about the study.
Doc Dipshit.
Cause I would love to know the population that exhibited a 5% mortality rate.
Probably old...probably racked with existing conditions.
All you need to do is get the data for deaths for people under 30 years old,dying after being infected by COVID-19, and it's sure as hell not 5%

So you are saying that I have an equal chance of catching the virus if I'm at home alone or if I'm in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:

He’s saying you have an equal chance in a locked down state as with a free state

This is science NOT opinion.

The most basic way to test this thesis is by direct comparison. As of 6 April, seven US states had not adopted shelter-in place orders and their stats are in line with those that did even when adjusting for population density.

Open the country!

View attachment 326939
Oswlald is a rich celebrity and an idiot. I had the Virus it is not guaranteed death. Far from it. Nazis killed my people. That was guaranteed. Apples and oranges. You're an idiot.

It is guaranteed that as many as 5% of those who get the virus die. That makes it 50 times deadlier than the flu. To suggest that it wasn't that bad for you and therefore it isn't that bad period is misleading and frankly, kinda dangerous.

As of Wednesday, the United States had a 5.4% mortality rate based on a percentage of overall cases, according to the Johns Hopkins data.
We do not have enough data yet to make the claim that the fatality rate for those who catch COVID-19 is 5%. Maybe that is the death rate for people over 75 years old, with one or more comorbidity. But to say it's 5% across the board is silly.

NY state is testing the population for the antigen. About 20% of NYC population already has the antigen. That's getting close to two million New Yorkers who had the virus already, and prob didn't even know it at the time.
Current fatality rate in NY is just 0.58%. That is expected to go lower as more testing is done.
Are you referring to the new data that New York state has been accumulating and how many millions of people may have already caught the disease and now I have the antigen for the virus.

The press conference that I heard Governor Cuomo was saying that as much as 20% of New York City's population already caught the virus NR now now have the antigen. If those numbers hold, the mortality rate for this virus is going to plumet.
It also means two out of ten people can not get sick and re-transmit it. Herd immunity is when 1/2 the population becomes immune and the virus can not rage like it did when no one had imunities. Once we reach about 25% we can slowly open up the economy and go. Once we hit about 40% we open up full bore as we wont have to worry about overwhelming our medical systems.

At this point we focus on our elderly and those with underlying problems while allowing the majority to get back to work.

So you are saying that I have an equal chance of catching the virus if I'm at home alone or if I'm in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:

He’s saying you have an equal chance in a locked down state as with a free state
You will get this virus wherever you are. The whole point of locking down was to slow how fast it spread so that our hospitals were not overwhelmed with a massive influx. IT WORKED. Once we hit about 25% of the populace that has had and recovered from this virus we can slowly open up until it reaches around 40-50%. At that point you can open it totally up and run. The lock down served it purpose, now we have to slowly return to normal as people continue to get and recover from this virus.

This is science NOT opinion.

The most basic way to test this thesis is by direct comparison. As of 6 April, seven US states had not adopted shelter-in place orders and their stats are in line with those that did even when adjusting for population density.

Open the country!

Working in NZ and Australia. Curve is bottoming out...

The problem is that you are driven by money, not moral fortitude...

Moral fortitude costs money...usually other people’s.

You will get this virus wherever you are. The whole point of locking down was to slow how fast it spread so that our hospitals were not overwhelmed with a massive influx. IT WORKED. Once we hit about 25% of the populace that has had and recovered from this virus we can slowly open up until it reaches around 40-50%. At that point you can open it totally up and run. The lock down served it purpose, now we have to slowly return to normal as people continue to get and recover from this virus.

Everyone will be exposed to the China virus sooner or later. It will circulate from now on. Thanks China.

Exactly.

Sheltering in home was not supposed to prevent you from ever getting the virus, was not supposed to do anything to control the virus, it was simply and only to reduce the initial impact we were going to have on hospitals and health care workers so that they were not overwhelmed.

Now we begin Phase 2, which is observing mitigation practices and get on with our lives.

Obviously if you are in the age group suseptible to this virus, and or you have these comorbidities, then you're going to have to be extra careful.

But the average American can observe mitigation practices and go about their lives until we find a vaccine.

Either we do this, or we destroy our nation from within.

Appears all it did was saddle the taxpayer with a couple of trillion dollars more debt. ... :cool:

there’s that. I do believe it helped the medical community out, but that reasoning is fast becoming obsolete with each passing day.
Exactly, and I don't see how locking down States, producing another 10 million or more unemployed, and causing thousands more business to go bankrupt, and States governments themselves going bankrupt, is going to help the nation.

We could probably do almost the same thing in this shelter-in-place lockdown, if we just went out and did our business in public, as long as we observe mitigation practices. Sheltering in-house is nothing but a mitigation practice. It does nothing to cure the virus it does nothing to end virus it does nothing but prolong the effects of the virus

exactly. The idea was to not overwhelm hospitals. Got it, but we can’t do this indefinitely either. There’s a risk calculation here. So far, looks like the mortality rate is in line with the flu. So we need to start firing things back up because poverty everywhere is worse.

With the NY region already at 20% they need to begin allowing movement of healthy and young people so that the numbers who gain immunity can increase. NY is in a really good position to do it the right way and be totally back in business in about two months time.

Georgia is going to be an interesting animal with the jump right to close contact businesses. It could go bad very easily or it could get them to herd immunity very fast. I am going to watch the numbers very closely.

Exactly.

Sheltering in home was not supposed to prevent you from ever getting the virus, was not supposed to do anything to control the virus, it was simply and only to reduce the initial impact we were going to have on hospitals and health care workers so that they were not overwhelmed.

Now we begin Phase 2, which is observing mitigation practices and get on with our lives.

Obviously if you are in the age group suseptible to this virus, and or you have these comorbidities, then you're going to have to be extra careful.

But the average American can observe mitigation practices and go about their lives until we find a vaccine.

There is a group that does want to destroy the country. They are called “liberals”.

Everyone will be exposed to the China virus sooner or later. It will circulate from now on. Thanks China.
The scary scenario - is that it's possible we might not be able to find a working vaccine for this virus. It's also possible this virus could mutate like the seasonal flu making, vaccines even less effective.

I can't imagine what it would be like if this virus where to come back and hit us year after year, like a seasonal flu from hell. This would create a nightmare, which would eventully end up killing off just about all of our elderly population because we'd have no defense not even a vaccine.

I really hope neither of these posibilities never hapen.

Exactly.

There is a group that does want to destroy the country. They are called “liberals”.
Thats why they want to keep it locked down and on the government tit.. :laughing0301::bang3::bang3:

The scary scenario - is that it's possible we might not be able to find a working vaccine for this virus. It's also possible this virus could mutate like the seasonal flu making, vaccines even less effective.

I can't imagine what it would be like if this virus where to come back and hit us year after year, like a seasonal flu from hell. This would create a nightmare, which would eventully end up killing off just about all of our elderly population because we'd have no defense not even a vaccine.

This virus is a RNA single strand virus so IT WILL MUTATE.

The best thing we can do is set up our elderly with protections (UV light systems that kill viruses, proper nutrition, etc). Then as these things appear protect them. We can not afford to destroy ourselves. It sounds harsh and unfeeling but life is short. Do what we can and protect them (of which I am one) but you can not stop the world from turning. The alternative is the young killing themselves because they can not provide for themselves let alone their seniors.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Isn't it curious that the same Democrats and left-wing news media who were screaming bloody murder about how damaging a federal government shutdown was going to be, are now cheerleading for a shutdown of the private sector?

Even when they were screaming about the government shutdown, they weren't talking about the shutdown was going to cause 30 million unemployed and trillions added to our annual deficit. And yet here they are... cheerleading for another month with everyone being locked down, millions more unemployed, and thousands more business owners going bankrupt. Just more proof of the insaity on the left.

its a “novel” virus right now. Humans will develop immunity to it quickly. Even if it mutates the immune system won’t be completely naive to it. So in the future everyone will have been exposed to it by let’s say age 8.

Even right now the mortality rate is close to or less than the flu. It’s just an opportunity to advance leftist desires. All of the Democrat agenda in existence has been advanced in two ways...court order or under the guise of a crisis.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Isn't it curious that the same Democrats and left-wing news media who were screaming bloody murder about how damaging a federal government shutdown was going to be, are now cheerleading for a shutdown of the private sector?

Even when they were screaming about the government shutdown, they weren't talking about the shutdown was going to cause 30 million unemployed and trillions added to our annual deficit. And yet here they are... cheerleading for another month with everyone being locked down, millions more unemployed, and thousands more business owners going bankrupt. Just more proof of the insaity on the left.

Good catch. The media ran daily stories with government workers crying about their losses. It just depends on what agenda they have at the moment.

its a “novel” virus right now. Humans will develop immunity to it quickly. Even if it mutates the immune system won’t be completely naive to it. So in the future everyone will have been exposed to it by let’s say age 8.

Even right now the mortality rate is close to or less than the flu. It’s just an opportunity to advance leftist desires. All of the Democrat agenda in existence has been advanced in two ways...court order or under the guise of a crisis.
I read an interesting article the other day which said that people who were born after 1968 are more susceptible to the seasonal flu.

The first version of the virus, that people born before 1968 were exposed to, makes those peole more immune to the current flu. So it will be interesting if this covid-19 virus does mutate, and if it becomes seasonal, the people born after 2020 or 2021 maybe more susceptible to this flu, once again, if it becomes seasonal, while those of us who are alive today we remain more resistant to sussessive variants.

A number of doctors have said that keeping people cooped up indoors has only prolonged this whole thing or made it worse. But of course one of the agendas is to get the whole world to take the vaccine which will make the main crooks behind this whole thing a massive fortune.

Everyone should watch this. It's coming from a very different perspective. She is Australian, a vegan and lives off grid.

That is true, at least to some extent. Isolation of a population reduces the spread of the virus. If you could totally isolation ever person, the virus would cease to exist because it can not continue to exist without new hosts. Stay at home orders do not create total isolation because people have to leave their homes for various reasons and thus the virus spreads but at a slower rate.

Now, let's suppose we do the very opposite and carry on business as usually and the virus spreads rapidly until the vast majority of the people have been infected. At an infection rate of 60% to 80% of the population, the immunity from being infected reduces the potential hosts for the virus and it will die out (herd immunity). In the US, achieving herd immunity would cost the lives of millions of people.

Before modern medical science, herd immunity was often the only way of ending an epidemic. The reason we prolong the epidemic is not really to reach herd immunity but to allow time for our health system to prepare for outbreaks and for medical researchers to develop new treatments and preventive measures such as vaccines.

What makes the lockdowns a curious form of dark humor is the very things that should have been locked down was mass transit! Can you picture the "rube" on his Wyoming ranch wondering why the fool in New York doesn't want the ranch ten miles down the road to get a visit but lets the subways still run? The bus system is rolling along packed to the gills.

A hundred years from now historians will marvel at how civic leaders could be sooooo stupid. Or how the fuck anyone let these fools get away with it.
In most places, public transit has been reduced due to lack of riders. Without any public transit, many people in law enforcement, healthcare, and other essential services could not get to work. Lots of people depend on public transit to get their grocery store, medicine, and other medical services.

In the US, achieving herd immunity would cost the lives of millions of people.

giphy.gif

You've clearly bought into the fearmongering and lies from the crooks behind this who are using it as a pretext for numerous agendas.

Forum List

Back