Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

bitching.gif

Last time people were so worried about who didn't post as much as they thought they should, it made people like me suspicious of them because they kept hounding them.
I don't see that as a very good way to find scum.

We don't have a sound method of finding scum. I think it may be because the people involved in our games are unique, we don't follow standard protocols for mafia games. So what is typically considered anti-town behavior could simply be, for example, mani being a dick (Couldn't resisist;))

I know I am having a more difficult time discerning who is actually being scummy just from the sheer fact that we have so many people saying so many things and alot of unnecessary drama.

Drama is a part of Mafia. It's uncommon for a game to resolve without personal feelings influencing logical, game-related decisions.

Hell, I once killed a player for getting fresh with me in another game. You ARE allowed to do whatever you want with your abilities, for whatever reasons. The counterbalance for anti-Town behavior is the ever-present policy lynch.

On the main site there's something called "Wisdom of the Crowds," in which players in signup can complain to the mod and try to convince him not to let Bobby or Karen play. I don't really do that, because I've been WotC'd by a handful of players who got their feathers ruffled, crimped, and torn off by me in one past game. I can be extremely aggressive in these games, and aggression (sans incivility) is a subject of intense debate. Throw ADHD into the mix, and you've got a nut. :D

Last edited:

That must be sameech's childhood photo. :D

Oh look one of Eve's three faces made a funny. Now if only one of them could play the game we could be all the better for it because so far prentending to be unavailable while posting elsewhere on the site and crying to Wake for rule changes are about the best contribution we have had out of them so far. :eusa_boohoo:

That must be sameech's childhood photo. :D

Oh look one of Eve's three faces made a funny. Now if only one of them could play the game we could be all the better for it because so far prentending to be unavailable while posting elsewhere on the site and crying to Wake for rule changes are about the best contribution we have had out of them so far. :eusa_boohoo:

Poor Sameech. His whining just never ends. :D

Last time people were so worried about who didn't post as much as they thought they should, it made people like me suspicious of them because they kept hounding them.

We don't have a sound method of finding scum. I think it may be because the people involved in our games are unique, we don't follow standard protocols for mafia games. So what is typically considered anti-town behavior could simply be, for example, mani being a dick (Couldn't resisist;))

I know I am having a more difficult time discerning who is actually being scummy just from the sheer fact that we have so many people saying so many things and alot of unnecessary drama.

I don't know. I think it was R.D. who mentioned in game, "factions". I was unsure what she meant at first, until I was playing this game. I believe I have seen some old rivalries come up and affect the game and not necessarily reasoning and game logic behind a vote. I thought I may see personalities clashing from past differences. I may be wrong, but this is what I gathered. I don't think this true of all votes, just reading the game(s) give me that vibe.

I don't know if this is the same on other Mafiascum sites. Here people have political differences and or differences on the other forums available. I don't know if there are forums where people can get into it on Mafiascum. But I wonder, are they able to play the game without the past interfering with their perceptions of who is who, or who is scum vs. town. If there are no forums on Mafiascum where one can fight about whatever the flavor du jour is, perhaps judgments may be less clouded- if indeed it has been. I could be far off the mark.

Some can't get over the fact that it is a game. Nothing said during the game means anything outside the game. Some of the more experienced players are name-calling and it doesn't bother me, but I sense that some of the players are getting offended inside and outside of the game and that's too bad. They need to get over it or not play.

CaféAuLait;9448778 said:

I don't know. I think it was R.D. who mentioned in game, "factions". I was unsure what she meant at first, until I was playing this game. I believe I have seen some old rivalries come up and affect the game and not necessarily reasoning and game logic behind a vote. I thought I may see personalities clashing from past differences. I may be wrong, but this is what I gathered. I don't think this true of all votes, just reading the game(s) give me that vibe.

I don't know if this is the same on other Mafiascum sites. Here people have political differences and or differences on the other forums available. I don't know if there are forums where people can get into it on Mafiascum. But I wonder, are they able to play the game without the past interfering with their perceptions of who is who, or who is scum vs. town. If there are no forums on Mafiascum where one can fight about whatever the flavor du jour is, perhaps judgments may be less clouded- if indeed it has been. I could be far off the mark.

The problem is that so many people phone in their votes, just parroting what someone else has already said. Like with the current mislynch, there has to be at the very least 5 town in on that, everyone just stacked up behind SR's meta argument, and it makes it impossible to sort through that analytically because everybody stood on SR's convictions and analysis and not their own as I had suggested on more than one occasion that town offer up. When they do crap like this, it just puts town further and further out of reach of winning because they make it impossible to sift through the wreckage of mislynches.

There are so many bad habits here that it is increasingly pointless to even try to play. I suspect that most of the people barely scan a few pages of the threads if that. The only reason I let Wake lure me in was because I had never played a 20 person game and the appeal of that caused me to forget why I never wanted to play here again.

Wake doesn't want us discussing the game here.....best the comments be saved for Day 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
CaféAuLait;9448778 said:

The problem is that so many people phone in their votes, just parroting what someone else has already said. Like with the current mislynch, there has to be at the very least 5 town in on that, everyone just stacked up behind SR's meta argument, and it makes it impossible to sort through that analytically because everybody stood on SR's convictions and analysis and not their own as I had suggested on more than one occasion that town offer up. When they do crap like this, it just puts town further and further out of reach of winning because they make it impossible to sift through the wreckage of mislynches.

There are so many bad habits here that it is increasingly pointless to even try to play. I suspect that most of the people barely scan a few pages of the threads if that. The only reason I let Wake lure me in was because I had never played a 20 person game and the appeal of that caused me to forget why I never wanted to play here again.

Well sameech, you could help us with that in the game instead of taking your frustrations out on others outside of it.

Wake doesn't want us discussing the game here.....best the comments be saved for Day 3.

It is a mafia discussion thread and we are discussing the bigger picture issues. When I tried discussing these things in the Game #2 thread, people's ego's got all bruised about me trying to tell them what to do when I was doing what Wake had asked me to do.

If Wake doesn't like discussing the systemic problems by pointing to a mathematical truth in the current situation as illustration, then Wake can modkill me. 9 votes-4 scum max=at least 5 town members.

CaféAuLait;9448778 said:

By factions I was talking about the game, that town players may have different win conditions.

Players that can't play without becoming personal or carry the game outside are really just not cut out for this, imnsho. Taunts are all a part of it.

Forum List

Back