Make America Great Again ?

winterfeld

Rookie
Feb 19, 2016
Hmmmm. I keep hearing let's make America great again. I'm struggling to understand exactly when that was. Let's see, for the 1st 240 years or so, America legally enslaved other human beings based on the color of their skin. The next 60 years or so America instituted Jim Crow which solidified the underdevelopment and impoverishment of an entire race. Following that the decade of the 60's rolled in with civil unrest resulting from overt racism, climaxing in the death of Dr Martin Luther King Jr. Here we are today many decades after her 1776 official birth; standing at the precipice of political, economic, domestic and international unrest. To be fair, there absolutely have been terrific moments in American history but usually those celebratory moments were enjoyed by only a segment of her citizens... not all. It seems it would be hard to systematically and institutionally neglect a huge part of its citizens and expect them to clearly see her greatness. So I don't know, maybe it's just [my lens] but I'm not sure what time they're referring to. Do you?

For me, a great country is one which is a good place to live in.

That means low crime, good education, good healthcare, good infrastructure, a place where the govt treats people equally, and people can be left alone to live their lives.

The US is better than a lot of countries in the world, but I wouldn't call it great. Crime is the biggest issue in the US for why it's not great. Parts of the US are safe, really safe, but other parts simply aren't. Healthcare is something that causes people a lot of worries, mainly if they're going to get it or not, other countries don't have these worries and it leads to a better life.

Patriotism, nationalism and all the invading and bombing that goes with it don't make my life better in any way at all.

Well, first off, you have the freedom here to spew such tripe and not be locked up for making statements critical of the state. Also, there was a time where our national defense was so strong that it created a buffer between us and the rest of the world, many people of which wanted to destroy us. That buffer allowed shitheads like you the opportunity to spew your bullshit, get an education and a job and build a life for yourself. Obama has, of course, diminished this. We used to not be $19 trillion in debt. We used to be a relatively unified nation, unlike today.

So, we had national unity, economic and military strength, and freedom to practice and enjoy our civil liberties, all much more so than today.

Then there was the past when we had a manufacturing based economy that created wealth. Now we have converted to a service based economy, which diminishes our wealth.
Being to again export oil on the world market is a big step forward. Maybe if we apply the same paradigm to other commodities when can regain some of our manufacturing and increase our GDP.

America IS GREAT.

Where else can you grow up in fostercare & group homes. Then goto juvenile prison. Then escape & commit more crimes & get sent to adult prison.

Then get out, goto college & start a business that has been rated number one for ten straight years on Angie's List.

Fuck you America haters

Then there is the PC cancer that has metastasized in our country which divides and alienates the population, fostering fear, distrust and anger. This is relatively new. Certainly we will not be a great country again until we eradicate PC culture.

We used to stimulate the economy by maintaining a low capital gains tax so to encourage investment. When the cg tax was lowered under Reagan it fueled a tremendous amount of transactional movement that spurred a tremendous economic revival with 4-5% growth. It allow generated far more tax revenue that the hire rates because there are more taxing events that occur when the capital gains rate is lowered. Imp, the CG rate should never exceed 10%.

Well, first off, you have the freedom here to spew such tripe and not be locked up for making statements critical of the state. Also, there was a time where our national defense was so strong that it created a buffer between us and the rest of the world, many people of which wanted to destroy us. That buffer allowed shitheads like you the opportunity to spew your bullshit, get an education and a job and build a life for yourself. Obama has, of course, diminished this. We used to not be $19 trillion in debt. We used to be a relatively unified nation, unlike today.

So, we had national unity, economic and military strength, and freedom to practice and enjoy our civil liberties, all much more so than today.

Except that you're missing stuff out here.

Some people had the freedom to enjoy their civil liberties, not all. For the first 180 years blacks did not have all such civil liberties, for the first 224 years gay people did not have such liberties.

Economic strength is being weakened, not because of Obama, but because the US has no direction, doesn't know which road to take. Some talk about getting a manufacturing base back again, without understanding that these things need direction. The Germans decided to go for quality goods, they have the education in place to make this happen, yet still they realize that the service sector is also important. Other countries have let the manufacturing base go, because people want to earn more than cheap labor. The US hasn't done anything, it's directionless and has been for decades, through many presidents and congresses.

Then there is the PC cancer that has metastasized in our country which divides and alienates the population, fostering fear, distrust and anger. This is relatively new. Certainly we will not be a great country again until we eradicate PC culture.

Yeah, the country wasn't alienated under segregation, no sireeeee. The blacks knew their place. Now they're trying to take over... right? There weren't riots before, there weren't problems between races before Obama.. right?

Oh puhhhhleeeeeaseeee

Some people had the freedom to enjoy their civil liberties, not all. For the first 180 years blacks did not have all such civil liberties, for the first 224 years gay people did not have such liberties.

Economic strength is being weakened, not because of Obama, but because the US has no direction, doesn't know which road to take. Some talk about getting a manufacturing base back again, without understanding that these things need direction. The Germans decided to go for quality goods, they have the education in place to make this happen, yet still they realize that the service sector is also important. Other countries have let the manufacturing base go, because people want to earn more than cheap labor. The US hasn't done anything, it's directionless and has been for decades, through many presidents and congresses.
Obama did promise change.

Would you care to join the rest of us in the 21st century?I know the past is a great place to hang out when you're a democrat with no ideas for the future but give modern times a try!

Yeah, ok, I get it. The op is baiting and has no intention to discuss anything. Why don't YOU explain how Obama has transformed America into a better place. I dare you, moron.

Change has been happening for a long time, in fact it's never really stayed still. America's demise is due, mostly, to the rise of other countries who have stop the US going in and causing problems for their own benefits. You have to live with that, you have to put things in place to make things better, the US isn't doing that, everyone's fighting it out among themselves for the power, treating foreign countries like military targets, and forgetting that these countries can take US jobs because the US doesn't have the workforce that has the right attributes for what is required.

Obama promised change, what else was there going to be? I mean, even Trump is saying Dubya was useless and people agree with him, from his own party.

Change has been happening for a long time, in fact it's never really stayed still. America's demise is due, mostly, to the rise of other countries who have stop the US going in and causing problems for their own benefits. You have to live with that, you have to put things in place to make things better, the US isn't doing that, everyone's fighting it out among themselves for the power, treating foreign countries like military targets, and forgetting that these countries can take US jobs because the US doesn't have the workforce that has the right attributes for what is required.

Obama promised change, what else was there going to be? I mean, even Trump is saying Dubya was useless and people agree with him, from his own party.
Then it's about time we got away from old habits and try Trumps way. It wouldn't hurt. Or stick with Hillary or Sanders and continue flushing.

Silly teabagger. You think being insulting and crude is somehow opposing being PC. They are not the same, but I guess you'e too dumb to know that.

I thought Donald Trump used it first. America is the greatest country in the world. But other countries are planning to prove they are better in ways that I hope we are all ready for when that time comes.

Then it's about time we got away from old habits and try Trumps way. It wouldn't hurt. Or stick with Hillary or Sanders and continue flushing.

The funny thing is, I've heard this argument before.

UKIP in the UK, I was following their election progress at the last General Election there, and people said the same thing.

It wouldn't hurt? Actually it could hurt and it could hurt quite badly. The way Trump is going about things, it wouldn't bode well. I mean, that sort of attitude was the sort that got Dubya elected, I mean, he wasn't Clinton, he was a nice guy who didn't sleaze around, "It wouldn't hurt", but the hurting is getting worse every year, what with ISIS and the right is going more to the right and trying to take freedom away from people in order to "protect" their freedom.

Hmmmm. I keep hearing let's make America great again. I'm struggling to understand exactly when that was. Let's see, for the 1st 240 years or so, America legally enslaved other human beings based on the color of their skin. The next 60 years or so America instituted Jim Crow which solidified the underdevelopment and impoverishment of an entire race. Following that the decade of the 60's rolled in with civil unrest resulting from overt racism, climaxing in the death of Dr Martin Luther King Jr. Here we are today many decades after her 1776 official birth; standing at the precipice of political, economic, domestic and international unrest. To be fair, there absolutely have been terrific moments in American history but usually those celebratory moments were enjoyed by only a segment of her citizens... not all. It seems it would be hard to systematically and institutionally neglect a huge part of its citizens and expect them to clearly see her greatness. So I don't know, maybe it's just [my lens] but I'm not sure what time they're referring to. Do you?
Lets see.
the first 240 years
then the next 60 years of Jim Crow
then the 60s rolled around, Its now 2016 so that would be 56 more years
so,, 356 years?

Forum List

Back