Man seriously injured after accidentally shooting himself at Las Vegas sports bar

Everybody on this board that packs heat. We've had this discussion before and so far I'm the only poster that never chambers a round until I'm ready to fire.

You should follow my lead on this. No more accidental discharge issues for any reason.
And so, you cannot quantify your statement, with a source.

Like I said, you should follow my lead on this one. Never chamber a round until you're ready to fire. We'll all be safer. And the upside. The number of deaths & injuries from accidental discharge will take a huge nose dive.

Even the number suicides might possibly go down in dramatic fashion because after getting up the nerve to pull the trigger, all they get is a click. Instead of s bang.

Why should I listen to you?

I've been carrying legally since I was 21 and have always had a round in the chamber. I see no reason to change my habits

You're not actually listening to me. I'm just the messenger. You would be listening to my dad. He's the one that taught me to never chamber a round until ready to fire. And I took that to heart.

Why would I listen to your father?

I was taught to always have a round in the chamber and I have never once accidentally discharged a weapon.

But see I don't go around telling other people what to do like you do so if you think you aren't capable of safely carrying a gun with a round in the pipe then don't just don't tell me what to do

Well you know what, people like you are a drag on humanity. You don't give a shit about anybody but yourself.

And so, you cannot quantify your statement, with a source.

Like I said, you should follow my lead on this one. Never chamber a round until you're ready to fire. We'll all be safer. And the upside. The number of deaths & injuries from accidental discharge will take a huge nose dive.

Even the number suicides might possibly go down in dramatic fashion because after getting up the nerve to pull the trigger, all they get is a click. Instead of s bang.

I've been carrying legally since I was 21 and have always had a round in the chamber. I see no reason to change my habits

You're not actually listening to me. I'm just the messenger. You would be listening to my dad. He's the one that taught me to never chamber a round until ready to fire. And I took that to heart.

I was taught to always have a round in the chamber and I have never once accidentally discharged a weapon.

But see I don't go around telling other people what to do like you do so if you think you aren't capable of safely carrying a gun with a round in the pipe then don't just don't tell me what to do

Well you know what, people like you are a drag on humanity. You don't give a shit about anybody but yourself.
Tell me how will you be safer if I don't keep a bullet in the chamber of my concealed weapon?

I've been carrying concealed with a round in the pipe for over 25 years and it hasn't put you or anyone else in danger has it?

Like I said, you should follow my lead on this one. Never chamber a round until you're ready to fire. We'll all be safer. And the upside. The number of deaths & injuries from accidental discharge will take a huge nose dive
Chuckle...
How many deaths result from accidental discharges by people lawfully carrying a gun?
Please be sure to provide a cite.

Well we have close to 40, 000 gun deaths a year the last I heard. So I'm sure we can find quite a few. Far too many actually. And close to 100,000 wounded. No doubt a shitload of accidental discharge going on there. If you think I'm wrong; prove it.

Like I said, you should follow my lead on this one. Never chamber a round until you're ready to fire. We'll all be safer. And the upside. The number of deaths & injuries from accidental discharge will take a huge nose dive
Chuckle...
How many deaths result from accidental discharges by people lawfully carrying a gun?

Well we have close to 40, 000 gun deaths a year the last I heard. So I'm sure we can find quite a few. Far too many actually. And close to 100,000 wounded. No doubt a shitload of accidental discharge going on there. If you think I'm wrong; prove it.

So no hard numbers just more of your worthless speculation

Chuckle...

That is not true.....I will show you the actual figures from the CDC....did you get your number from an anti gun source?

Chuckle...

Here...accidental gun deaths up to 2014...

Broker Version 9.4

2013 ..... 505
2012 ..... 548
2011 ..... 591
2010 ..... 606
2009 ..... 554
2008 ..... 592
2007..... 613
2006..... 642
2005 ..... 789
2004 ..... 649
2003 ..... 730
2002 ..... 762
2001 ..... 802
2000 ..... 776
1999 ..... 824

Chuckle...

Non Fatal Gun accidents by year from the CDC........notice...as we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997......to 2016 with 357 million to 400 million guns in private hands and close to 15 million people carrying guns for self defense...both the fatal, and non fatal gun accidents went down, not up...

non Fatal gun accidents....
WISQARS Nonfatal Injury Reports
Non fatal gun injury stats from 1999......

Nonfatal and Fatal Firearm-Related Injuries -- United States, 1993-1997
CDC non fatal gun accident.....

1993... 104,390
1994... 89,744
1995... 84,322
1996... 69,649
1997... 64,207
2001.... 17,696

2002... 17,579

2003... 18,941

2004... 16,555

2005... 15,388

2006... 14,678

2007... 15,698

2008... 17,215

2009... 18,610

2010... 14,161

2011... 14,675

2012... 17,362

2013... 16,864

2014..... 15,928

Chuckle...

And here you are, from the FBI....gun murder....2015...

Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Gun murder....9.616

So, how do you get 40,000 gun deaths...oh...you include suicide.......which is dishonest of you considering that France, Japan, South Korea....who all have stricter gun control laws than we do....have higher suicide rates than we do.....

Chuckle...

And as more Americans bought and carried guns...our gun murder rate went down, not up...until 2015 and the Ferguson effect took over....

Murder by firearm….

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports - 2000

gun murder rate 1997 -2015

1997..... 10,729
1998..... 9,257
1999..... 8,480
2000..... 8,493
2001..... 8,719
2002... 9,369
2003.... 9,638
2004..... 9,385
2005.... 10,158
2006.... 10,225
2007 10,129
2008-- 9,528
2009-- 9,199
2010- 8,874
2011-- 8,653
2012-- 8,897
2013-- 8,454
2014-- 8,124
2015.....9,616 Due to Ferguson effect......

Chuckle...

And of all those statistics...not one of them compares to the crimes stopped and lives saved by Americans armed with guns....

Self defense with a gun:

The name of the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses each year.........also, which studies did not include police and military self defense....

Self defense with a gun......40 years of actual research...

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Last

Tell me how will you be safer if I don't keep a bullet in the chamber of my concealed weapon?

I've been carrying concealed with a round in the pipe for over 25 years and it hasn't put you or anyone else in danger has it?

My answer to that, it could become a problem. It just hasn't yet. But there's always tomorrow. Having said that, you take gun safety seriously which means you can talk the talk, and walk the walk. For a lot of people out there it's the walking the walk part that they struggle with, so they up in the news like the guy this thread is all about.

Let's help them stay out of the newspaper and hospitals by encouraging them to leave the chamber empty.

Back when I was 16, me and a friend went out for an early morning quail hunt before going to school. During our hunt, somewhere off in the distance, we heard a high powered rifle shot. Followed by a second shot about a minute later. We didn't give it to much thought. After completing our hunt we went to school arriving for our first class about a half hour late.

A few days later we learned that two hunters managed to get themselves killed trying to crawl through a four wire fence bordering a national forest to retrieve a small deer they had just shot. They were discovered tangled up in that fence along with their rifle the next day. Those were the same two shots we heard during our early morning bird hunt. There was about a mile across two very deep ravines separating us.

Last edited:

My answer to that, it could become a problem. It just hasn't yet. But there's always tomorrow. Having said that, you take gun safety seriously which means you can talk the talk, and walk the walk. For a lot of people out there it's the walking the walk part that they struggle with, so they up in the news like the guy this thread is all about.

Let's help them stay out of the newspaper and hospitals by encouraging them to leave the chamber empty.

Back when I was 16, me and a friend went out for an early morning quail hunt before going to school. During our hunt, somewhere off in the distance, we heard a high powered rifle shot. Followed by a second shot about a minute later. We didn't give it to much thought. After completing our hunt we went to school arriving for our first class about a half hour late.

A few days later we learned that two hunters managed to get themselves killed trying to crawl through a four wire fence bordering a national forest to retrieve a small deer they had just shot. They were discovered tangled up in that fence along with their rifle the next day. Those were the same two shots we heard during our early morning bird hunt. There was about a mile across two very deep ravines separating us.

It's not up to me to tell anyone else how to live their life.

I do what I do and have a 25 plus year safety record so quite frankly it's none of your or anyone else's business.
People have always done and will always do stupid things that can endanger others

It's a fact of life that you should accept and prepare for rather than futilely try to legislate out of existence

Chuckle...
Well we have close to 40, 000 gun deaths a year the last I heard.
The average yearly firearms deaths, 1999-2015, is 31,000

So I'm sure we can find quite a few. Far too many actually.
I asked for a cite. If examples that prove your claim are easy to find, so are citations.
Get busy.

Chuckle...

I asked for a cite. If examples that prove your claim are easy to find, so are citations.
Get busy.
and suicides don't count because suicide is a choice not a crime

Carrying a firearm in public implies a level of responsibility similar to that of operating a motor vehicle in public. If you have an accident while driving and it's found you are impaired you are, and should be, in serious trouble. The same circumstance should apply to carrying a firearm while impaired.

Chuckle...

Get busy.
Chuckle...

Get busy.

Not a problem. 35,000 killed. 73,000 wounded.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.23 per 100,000 U.S. citizens); 11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000); 21,175 suicides; 505 deaths due to accidental/negligent discharge of a firearm; and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined ...
Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Gun_violence_in_the...

Chuckle...

Get busy.
Chuckle...

Get busy.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.23 per 100,000 U.S. citizens); 11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000); 21,175 suicides; 505 deaths due to accidental/negligent discharge of a firearm; and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined ...

Yeah......don't use wikipedia...go to the actual CDC site.......I use the FBI for homicides since they specifically deal in gun murder...and they break it down by type as well...in 2014....non gun suicides out numbered gun suicides....

Chuckle...

Get busy.
Chuckle...

Get busy.

Yeah......don't use wikipedia...go to the actual CDC site.......I use the FBI for homicides since they specifically deal in gun murder...and they break it down by type as well...in 2014....non gun suicides out numbered gun suicides....

I'll keep that in mind for future use. I googled the words and picked out the first link to pop up

Chuckle...

Get busy.
and suicides don't count because suicide is a choice not a crime

Every gun death counts. Suicide by car wreck doesn't do much to help car wreck stats that's for sure.

Forum List

Back