Might as well be a democrat...

So how many years do you Republicrats figure a person has to spend in politics to become a "career politician"?
36 years is obviously enough, especially when you're only 63. That means he was 27 when he first went into politics. A paper route was probably his only private sector job.
Er.. Um Reagan started working in politics at the age of 37 (as a New Deal worshiping left winger no less) and spent the next 40 years in the field so he's got Kasich beat on the years of political experience front; and FYI Kasich worked in the private sector @ Fox News, Lehman Brothers and working on the boards of several other companies for 8 years.... so the difference between "career politician" Kasich and "not career politician" Reagan still remain unclear.

Reagan didn't become governor of California, his first elective office, until 1967. since he was born in 1911, that means he was 56 when he started in politics, not 27. In other words, he was more than twice Kasich's age.
OIC, so it's not working in the politics (as Reagan started doing in the late 40's) that counts it's holding elected office...... Wow this whole "career politician" equation is more complicated than I thought.

So by this new calculus, Karl Rove isn't a "career politician" because he's never held elected office?

"Working in politics" isn't a career unless you are getting paid. That means holding office. Rove is getting paid for what he does. Reagan didn't get paid for being president of the screen actors guild.
Okay so let me see if I got this straight now, working in politics doesn't count toward being a "career politician", holding elected office doesn't count toward being a "career politician" but getting paid for working in politics DOES count toward being a "career politician" , but wasn't Reagan a paid staffer on the Eisenhower Campaign in 1952?

Hmmm...... the smoke thickens.....

This country has tried career politicians for a better part of 100 years, all epic fails.... Lol
What about Ronald Reagan ? I thought Republicans liked him, Wasn't he a "career politician" (Governor turned President)?

Nope. A career politician would be like those in Congress who never held a real job in their life. Ronald Reagan was an actor and union president.
Yes and Kasich also worked in the private sector (i.e. he held a "real job") so why is he a considered a "career politician" by many Republicans and Ronald Reagan isn't?

Kasich served 18 years in the House, and is in his second term as governor of Ohio. That makes him a career politician in most people's book.

By contrast, Reagan was governor of California. Just about 2 decades difference, don't you think?

Nope. A career politician would be like those in Congress who never held a real job in their life. Ronald Reagan was an actor and union president.
Yes and Kasich also worked in the private sector (i.e. he held a "real job") so why is he a considered a "career politician" by many Republicans and Ronald Reagan isn't?

He's been a politicians since 1979. That's 36 years, practically a lifetime.
So how many years do you Republicrats figure a person has to spend in politics to become a "career politician"?
36 years is obviously enough, especially when you're only 63. That means he was 27 when he first went into politics. A paper route was probably his only private sector job.
Er.. Um Reagan started working in politics at the age of 37 (as a New Deal worshiping left winger no less) and spent the next 40 years in the field so he's got Kasich beat on the years of political experience front; and FYI Kasich worked in the private sector @ Fox News, Lehman Brothers and working on the boards of several other companies for 8 years.... so the difference between "career politician" Kasich and "not career politician" Reagan still remain unclear.

Apparently, the difference is only unclear to you.

Actually it's perfectly clear to me, it's a matter of completely subjective semantics, both Reagan and Kasich are/were career politicians by any reasonable definition of the phrase, 'twas entertaining and proves my theory that people will attempt to twist themselves into logical tesseracts in order justify their support for bizarre candidates like the Donald for elected office.

Actually it's perfectly clear to me, it's a matter of completely subjective semantics, both Reagan and Kasich are/were career politicians by any reasonable definition of the phrase, 'twas entertaining and proves my theory that people will attempt to twist themselves into logical tesseracts in order justify their support for bizarre candidates like the Donald for elected office.

Before being president, Reagan held office as governor of California for a total of 8 years.

Kasich, on the other hand, spent 18 years in Congress and has been governor of Ohio for the past 5 years.

That's 8 years versus 23 years. That's simple math, not semantics.

Sorry, but that's obvious bullshit. Kasich held his first office when he was 27. Reagan was almost 60 before he held elective office. If you can't see the difference it's because you're deliberately stupid.

Before being president, Reagan held office as governor of California for a total of 8 years.
Uh-huh and then he was President for another 8 years ....... feel free to use a calculator if you need to.

That's simple math, not semantics.
OIC
X + Y = 1 unless of course X + Y = 0 supports my "argument" .... in which case X + Y = 0 ..... must be that new common core math everybody loves so much. :rolleyes:

Uh-huh and then he was President for another 8 years ....... feel free to use a calculator if you need to.

That's simple math, not semantics.
OIC
X + Y = 1 unless of course X + Y = 0 supports my "argument" .... in which case X + Y = 0 ..... must be that new common core math everybody loves so much. :rolleyes:

Do you have a farm to spread all of that manure?

Intentional stupidity is not a good character trait.

Reagan didn't become governor of California, his first elective office, until 1967. since he was born in 1911, that means he was 56 when he started in politics, not 27. In other words, he was more than twice Kasich's age.
OIC, so it's not working in the politics (as Reagan started doing in the late 40's) that counts it's holding elected office...... Wow this whole "career politician" equation is more complicated than I thought.

So by this new calculus, Karl Rove isn't a "career politician" because he's never held elected office?

"Working in politics" isn't a career unless you are getting paid. That means holding office. Rove is getting paid for what he does. Reagan didn't get paid for being president of the screen actors guild.
Okay so let me see if I got this straight now, working in politics doesn't count toward being a "career politician", holding elected office doesn't count toward being a "career politician" but getting paid for working in politics DOES count toward being a "career politician" , but wasn't Reagan a paid staffer on the Eisenhower Campaign in 1952?

Hmmm...... the smoke thickens.....

Well, when he ran and lost against Ford in the 1970’s he wasn’t getting paid for running so technically he was a retired professional politician for that period of time….pensions don’t count; see. Rick Perry isn’t even a politician since he was technically a retired State Employee while pulling down a salary and a pension while governor of Texas. Seriously, is this you first campaign?

Forum List

Back