Migrant kids outperform local kids

This is an over generalization, but... Illegal alien offspring take it for granted they get away with whatever, Legal immigrant kids are trying to live up to a higher standard. That is one of the differences between "immigrants" and illegal aliens. This is not a scientifically proven fact. Just my opinion.

I've read recently an interesting study on higher class whites dealing with increasing competition from higher class, especially Asian immigrants with an extremely competitive and education driven culture.

And I saw no benefit for America or Americans in the developments mentioned.

I don't WANT Americans to have to torture their children the way the freaking Japanese do in order for them to have a shot at getting into a top college.

That is not making this nation or the world a better place.

It's making it crappier.

Lazy losers like you are not what America is about.

I have pointed out the obvious truth, supported with links to article on South Korean laws and quotes from a South Korean, that high levels of competition have negative impacts on health and family life and detracts from other activities and happiness.....

I asked you if you'd ever been to South Korea, seen South Korean schools, met South Korean families and their children and gotten to know them personally. You ignored this question because the answer highlights your weak-minded clinging to stereotypes and ignorance.

I've been to South Korea...seen South Korean schools, ....even met South Korean families....and know them personalllll....

...Oh, wait....I am one!

I have pointed out the obvious truth, supported with links to article on South Korean laws and quotes from a South Korean, that high levels of competition have negative impacts on health and family life and detracts from other activities and happiness.....

I asked you if you'd ever been to South Korea, seen South Korean schools, met South Korean families and their children and gotten to know them personally. You ignored this question because the answer highlights your weak-minded clinging to stereotypes and ignorance.

I've been to South Korea...seen South Korean schools, ....even met South Korean families....and know them personalllll....

...Oh, wait....I am one!

So, what's your take on those highly competitive late night extra schooling classes? A good thing that you would love to see here, or a bad thing we don't want to import?

...Oh, wait....I am one!

So, what's your take on those highly competitive late night extra schooling classes? A good thing that you would love to see here, or a bad thing we don't want to import?

I am a strong.....strong.....believer in knowledge and learning.

I home school my children.

And I am certainly in favor of competition and extra schooling.

Are you aware of this?

1. " ...the Fujianese work like dogs, as do Chinese immigrants generally. In New York City, the Chinese are more likely than any other ethnic group to live in dual-earning households. ... women typically sewed in garment-factory sweatshops....clean hotel rooms or take care of the elderly.

2. Men typically bus tables and wash dishes in restaurants. Their hours are brutal: ten hours or more a day, six and often seven days a week. They’re less likely than unskilled native-born Americans to be unemployed.

a. If they can’t find work in New York, they “commute” elsewhere. The Chinese restaurant labor market is an interstate business....Restaurant owners in the South and Midwest advertise in employment offices in Manhattan’s Chinatown...Local Chinese entrepreneurs run bus companies that transport waiters and chefs to weeklong gigs in Tampa or Chicago, and then back for a single night with their families in Brooklyn.

3. Lacking English skills and fearful of deportation, these workers often endure terrible treatment. ... But the Fujianese aren’t likely to complain. ....in China, they could expect an annual income of $500 to $750; the lucky ones working a factory job might make $1,500 a year. In the U.S., a busboy can earn $1,500 a month, plus room and board; a chef, maybe $2,500 a month.... with smugglers to repay and families back home in dire need, parents see no choice but to work ferocious hours.

4. ....what happens to the famous Chinese family values? ....In fact, the Fujianese immigrants don’t have a family life, or at least not one that middle-class Americans would recognize. “I never saw my parents,” Mandy Wong told me. Wong graduated from Brooklyn Tech High School and is now a junior at Hamilton College. Her parents “worked from 10 AM to 1 AM.” ..... She had many chores, and by third grade, she was serving as primary caretaker for her younger brothers. She had few friends—not because she was unlikable but because friends were deemed an unnecessary waste of time..... “I was considered one of the lucky ones,” she says, “because I had grandparents to take care of me and didn’t have to spend all my time in the sweatshop.” She was referring to the many poor Fujianese kids with nowhere to go after school but their mothers’ steaming workplaces. .... children sometimes get enlisted as reduced-fee or even free labor.

5. .... in general, the Sunset Park kids appear on track to achieve the upward mobility that some say is no longer possible in New York’s bifurcated economy. An analysis by New York public radio station WNYC showed that Sunset Park and Borough Park zip codes had among the largest number of acceptances at the city’s specialized, competitive high schools. .... it’s a safe bet that, unlike their parents—not to mention their gender-studies-majoring peers—they won’t be waiting tables."
Brooklyn's Chinese Pioneers by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Spring 2014

6. "So what accounts for the poverty-defying trajectory of the Fujianese kids?
The answer is fourfold.

First is a cultural trait that has become a cliché in the model-minority discussion: a zealous focus on education. .... education for the next generation is close to a religion..... One recent college graduate, now a public school math teacher, told me that his mother would wake him at 5 AM to go over math problems—when he was in the first and second grade. ..
.... one kindergartner’s mother said, in faltering English: “My son must go Harvard.”

a. No matter how poor they are, parents find a way to get their fourth- or fifth-graders into test-prep classes. WNYC found one Sunset Park family who put aside $5,000 for classes for their three sons out of a yearly household income of just $26,000.
Ibid.

...Oh, wait....I am one!

Are you aware of this?

1. " ...the Fujianese work like dogs, as do Chinese immigrants generally. In New York City, the Chinese are more likely than any other ethnic group to live in dual-earning households. ... women typically sewed in garment-factory sweatshops....clean hotel rooms or take care of the elderly.

2. Men typically bus tables and wash dishes in restaurants. Their hours are brutal: ten hours or more a day, six and often seven days a week. They’re less likely than unskilled native-born Americans to be unemployed.

a. If they can’t find work in New York, they “commute” elsewhere. The Chinese restaurant labor market is an interstate business....Restaurant owners in the South and Midwest advertise in employment offices in Manhattan’s Chinatown...Local Chinese entrepreneurs run bus companies that transport waiters and chefs to weeklong gigs in Tampa or Chicago, and then back for a single night with their families in Brooklyn.

3. Lacking English skills and fearful of deportation, these workers often endure terrible treatment. ... But the Fujianese aren’t likely to complain. ....in China, they could expect an annual income of $500 to $750; the lucky ones working a factory job might make $1,500 a year. In the U.S., a busboy can earn $1,500 a month, plus room and board; a chef, maybe $2,500 a month.... with smugglers to repay and families back home in dire need, parents see no choice but to work ferocious hours.

4. ....what happens to the famous Chinese family values? ....In fact, the Fujianese immigrants don’t have a family life, or at least not one that middle-class Americans would recognize. “I never saw my parents,” Mandy Wong told me. Wong graduated from Brooklyn Tech High School and is now a junior at Hamilton College. Her parents “worked from 10 AM to 1 AM.” ..... She had many chores, and by third grade, she was serving as primary caretaker for her younger brothers. She had few friends—not because she was unlikable but because friends were deemed an unnecessary waste of time..... “I was considered one of the lucky ones,” she says, “because I had grandparents to take care of me and didn’t have to spend all my time in the sweatshop.” She was referring to the many poor Fujianese kids with nowhere to go after school but their mothers’ steaming workplaces. .... children sometimes get enlisted as reduced-fee or even free labor.

5. .... in general, the Sunset Park kids appear on track to achieve the upward mobility that some say is no longer possible in New York’s bifurcated economy. An analysis by New York public radio station WNYC showed that Sunset Park and Borough Park zip codes had among the largest number of acceptances at the city’s specialized, competitive high schools. .... it’s a safe bet that, unlike their parents—not to mention their gender-studies-majoring peers—they won’t be waiting tables."

The answer is fourfold.

First is a cultural trait that has become a cliché in the model-minority discussion: a zealous focus on education. .... education for the next generation is close to a religion..... One recent college graduate, now a public school math teacher, told me that his mother would wake him at 5 AM to go over math problems—when he was in the first and second grade. ..
.... one kindergartner’s mother said, in faltering English: “My son must go Harvard.”

a. No matter how poor they are, parents find a way to get their fourth- or fifth-graders into test-prep classes. WNYC found one Sunset Park family who put aside $5,000 for classes for their three sons out of a yearly household income of just $26,000.
Ibid.

Wouldn't it be better to craft policy so that upward mobility would be possible without such heavy sacrifices?

...Oh, wait....I am one!

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

Wouldn't it be better to craft policy so that upward mobility would be possible without such heavy sacrifices?

An example, please.

...Oh, wait....I am one!

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

Example ONe. Bring back manufacturing jobs that provide a good wage so that a father can provide for his family without working so much that he has no family life.

Secondary effects. With a core of better jobs, less competition for even Busing jobs improves wages and conditions for those jobs.

...Oh, wait....I am one!

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

Example ONe. Bring back manufacturing jobs that provide a good wage so that a father can provide for his family without working so much that he has no family life.

Secondary effects. With a core of better jobs, less competition for even Busing jobs improves wages and conditions for those jobs.

There are no examples there, Corry.....only some 'I can dream, can't I...." wishes.

Not only is there no gain without the commensurate effort, such as in my example of the efforts of the Sunset Park Chinese folks....
1. We live in a global economy. Jobs are in competition with far lower wage workers elsewhere.

2. Tariffs were, largely, the cause of the Depression

3. If we start awarding success to individuals, psychology and experience prove that they become worthless. The efforts put in are what make the rewards so meaningful.

BTW....know which group has the highest educational attainment, lowest crime rates, and highest income in the nation?
Yup....Asians.

There's no 'white privilege.'

And....beware, Corry.....your wishes come dangerously close to this: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need (or needs)

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

There are no examples there, Corry.....only some 'I can dream, can't I...." wishes.

Not only is there no gain without the commensurate effort, such as in my example of the efforts of the Sunset Park Chinese folks....
1. We live in a global economy. Jobs are in competition with far lower wage workers elsewhere.

3. If we start awarding success to individuals, psychology and experience prove that they become worthless. The efforts put in are what make the rewards so meaningful.

BTW....know which group has the highest educational attainment, lowest crime rates, and highest income in the nation?
Yup....Asians.

And....beware, Corry.....your wishes come dangerously close to this: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need (or needs)

1. We live in a "global economy" because of policy that makes it so. We don't have to have our workers in direct competition with far lower wage workers elsewhere.

2. We were a massive exporting nation then. Today we are exactly opposite.

3. I don't see how anything in my example was about awarding success.

3b Working 40 hours a week, if that is enough to pay the bills, is not going to make father feel less a sense of accomplishment. Will Asian culture really collapse if Dad has time to teach his son to ride a bike?

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

Yup....Asians.

1. We live in a "global economy" because of policy that makes it so. We don't have to have our workers in direct competition with far lower wage workers elsewhere.

3b Working 40 hours a week, if that is enough to pay the bills, is not going to make father feel less a sense of accomplishment. Will Asian culture really collapse if Dad has time to teach his son to ride a bike?

The accomplishments must be based on individual responsibility, not government regulations and statutes.

Are you suggesting things like minimum wage laws???

....walter e. williams:
  1. While legislative bodies have the power to order wage increases, they have not as of yet found a way to order commensurate increases in worker productivity that make the worker’s output worth the higher wage.
  2. Further, while Congress can legislate the wage at which labor transactions occur, it cannot require that the transaction actually be made, and the worker hired.

An example, please.

Yup....Asians.

The accomplishments must be based on individual responsibility, not government regulations and statutes.

....walter e. williams:
  1. While legislative bodies have the power to order wage increases, they have not as of yet found a way to order commensurate increases in worker productivity that make the worker’s output worth the higher wage.
  2. Further, while Congress can legislate the wage at which labor transactions occur, it cannot require that the transaction actually be made, and the worker hired.

Our current crappy manufacturing sector is not a result of individual responsibility, it is a result fo bad government trade policy.

If we have trade policy to encourage US manufacturing and immigration policy to reduce labor supply, minimum wage laws will become quickly irrelevant as wages rise well beyond them.

An example, please.

Yup....Asians.

....walter e. williams:

Our current crappy manufacturing sector is not a result of individual responsibility, it is a result fo bad government trade policy.

If we have trade policy to encourage US manufacturing and immigration policy to reduce labor supply, minimum wage laws will become quickly irrelevant as wages rise well beyond them.

"... bad government trade policy..."

Spot on!
Somehow, Liberals, Democrats, Progressives, Socialists, etc., have put their faith in the knowledge of self-proclaimed experts, rather than the wisdom of society itself.

"Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from birth what conservatives seem to be endowed with at birth: namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of government to do good."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"To conservatives, the fundamental problem with the Left is what Friedrich Hayek called the fatal conceit: the delusion that experts are wise enough to redesign society.

Conservatives distrust central planners, preferring to rely on traditional institutions that protect individuals’ “natural rights” against the power of the state. Leftists have much more confidence in experts and the state.

Engels argued for “scientific socialism,” a redesign of society supposedly based on the scientific method. Communist intellectuals planned to mold the New Soviet Man. Progressives yearned for a society guided by impartial agencies unconstrained by old-fashioned politics and religion.

Herbert Croly, founder of the New Republic and a leading light of progressivism, predicted that a “better future would derive from the beneficent activities of expert social engineers who would bring to the service of social ideals all the technical resources which research could discover.”
The Real War on Science

...Oh, wait....I am one!

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

This kind of flaccid fear of competition and hard work is un-American.

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

Not wanting 10 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week is hardly fear of hard work.

Are you aware of this?

The answer is fourfold.

Ibid.

An example, please.

Yes, it is. It's a disturbing sign of the pussification of society when some slack-ass loser feels justified in defending weakness, cowardice, and sloth rather than being properly shamed by it.

An example, please.

Yes, it is. It's a disturbing sign of the pussification of society when some slack-ass loser feels justified in defending weakness, cowardice, and sloth rather than being properly shamed by it.

Under 60 or 70 hours a week is hardly the definition of sloth.

That you can seriously claim otherwise is a sign of rigid dogma, not serious thought.

An example, please.

That you can seriously claim otherwise is a sign of rigid dogma, not serious thought

Whose decision is it as to how many hours one works???

This isn't France, where a maximum number of hours is mandated.

Get rid of the idea that government should mandate and regulate everyone's life.

1. Entrepreneurs of all types rate their well-being higher than any other professional group in America. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/the-self-employed-are-the-happiest/
  2. Think it’s because they’re making beaucoup bucks? Wrong. Small business owners make 19% less than government managers. http://www.cbsalary.com/calculators/
    1. Comparing Federal and Private Sector Compensation http://www.aei.org/papers/economics...ring-federal-and-private-sector-compensation/
    2. “WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Nearly half of self-employed Americans (49%) report working more than 44 hours in a typical work week, compared to 39% of American workers overall, 38% in government and in private business, …” Self-Employed Workers Clock the Most Hours Each Week
    3. The average small-business owner earns $44,576 per year. http://www.cbsalary.com/national-sa...Business+Development&jn=jn037&edu=&tid=105988
3 .So…income and happiness? Data taken over several decades indicates that people have gotten a lot richer….but not a lot happier. In 1972, about 30% of Americans reported that they were ‘very happy.’ The average American earned about $25,000 (2004 dollars), and by 2004 the average income had increased to $38,000- a 50% increase in real income. All income groups, from rich to poor, saw substantial income increases. Yet the percentage of very happy Americans remained virtually the same, at 31%.
http://dataarchives.ss.ucla.edu/da_catalog/da_catalog_titleRecord.php?studynumber=M195V1

a. How about lottery winners….initial happiness didn’t last! “As predicted, lottery winners were not happier than controls and took significantly less pleasure from a series of mundane events. “http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/690806

5. So….if it’s not money….what is it people desire? The answer is earned success....the ability to create value with your life, or in the lives of others. Term ‘profit’ means different things to different people.

Stop imagining you know what's best for everyone.

An example, please.

That you can seriously claim otherwise is a sign of rigid dogma, not serious thought.

This is what it's come to. Fragile little snowflakes sticking their little noses in the air and whining about how hard work and competition are just so scary and unfair!

Guess what, snowflake? Hard work and competition are what real Americans are all about, and what made this the greatest and strongest country on earth. Americans roll up their sleeves and get to work. Your ilk roll up your sleeves and beg for some Obama-Esque governmentdaddy to put a line in so you can lay back in helpless dependency.

That you can seriously claim otherwise is a sign of rigid dogma, not serious thought

Whose decision is it as to how many hours one works???

This isn't France, where a maximum number of hours is mandated.

Get rid of the idea that government should mandate and regulate everyone's life.

1. Entrepreneurs of all types rate their well-being higher than any other professional group in America. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/the-self-employed-are-the-happiest/
  2. Think it’s because they’re making beaucoup bucks? Wrong. Small business owners make 19% less than government managers. http://www.cbsalary.com/calculators/
    1. Comparing Federal and Private Sector Compensation http://www.aei.org/papers/economics...ring-federal-and-private-sector-compensation/
    2. “WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Nearly half of self-employed Americans (49%) report working more than 44 hours in a typical work week, compared to 39% of American workers overall, 38% in government and in private business, …” Self-Employed Workers Clock the Most Hours Each Week
    3. The average small-business owner earns $44,576 per year. http://www.cbsalary.com/national-sa...Business+Development&jn=jn037&edu=&tid=105988
3 .So…income and happiness? Data taken over several decades indicates that people have gotten a lot richer….but not a lot happier. In 1972, about 30% of Americans reported that they were ‘very happy.’ The average American earned about $25,000 (2004 dollars), and by 2004 the average income had increased to $38,000- a 50% increase in real income. All income groups, from rich to poor, saw substantial income increases. Yet the percentage of very happy Americans remained virtually the same, at 31%.
http://dataarchives.ss.ucla.edu/da_catalog/da_catalog_titleRecord.php?studynumber=M195V1

a. How about lottery winners….initial happiness didn’t last! “As predicted, lottery winners were not happier than controls and took significantly less pleasure from a series of mundane events. “http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/690806

5. So….if it’s not money….what is it people desire? The answer is earned success....the ability to create value with your life, or in the lives of others. Term ‘profit’ means different things to different people.

Stop imagining you know what's best for everyone.

I said nothing about mandating anything.

I said I want policy so a father CAN provide for his family on one full time job.

This is what it's come to. Fragile little snowflakes sticking their little noses in the air and whining about how hard work and competition are just so scary and unfair!

Guess what, snowflake? Hard work and competition are what real Americans are all about, and what made this the greatest and strongest country on earth. Americans roll up their sleeves and get to work. Your ilk roll up your sleeves and beg for some Obama-Esque governmentdaddy to put a line in so you can lay back in helpless dependency.

Nothing you said dealt with the reality that under 60 or 70 hours a week is not "sloth".

Forum List

Back