My 8 year old is more logical than half of America

One of my coworkers' sons is going to juvenile court next week for assault because he smacked a classmate in the head for repeatedly calling him a faggot. Kid warned him but the other kid wouldn't stop. So my coworker's son hit him. Kid wasn't hurt--no blood or bruises. His parents pressed charges and the D.A. decided to "make an example of him" because they were getting sick of the fights at the high school. So this kid, who is really not a bad kid and definitely not a bully, is going to have a juvenile record. The most ironic part is, this past week while they were on break, the two boys were back to hanging out together. No issues. If only his parents could let the storm clouds pass like that.

being called a "faggot" is essentially assault - any good lawyer should be able to win this case

what state are you in?

I would be counter suing the school for enabling a culture of intimidation - would be a million dollar suit

I'm in Alabama, I would win my suit, or they would drop the charges

I would also counter sue the parents

again, I am in Bham, I would win no issue - your friend needs to be proactive & find a good lawyer - counter sue the other parents and the district

seriously
I'm sure they have an advocate, but they aren't the types to make the matter worse with a counter suit. They also want their son to curb his impulses; they feel he needs to understand the lesson--but NOT WITH JUVIE! That seems like overkill.

Like many here have said, calling a kid names does not necessitate violence. Especially not at school. I feel bad for this kid and I hope either the parents have cooled off or the kid's mental health advocate can help everyone see sense.
I brought it up to point out that if you encourage your child to solve disputes with their fists, honorable or not, there can be serious consequences in this day and age.

Words are not a reason to get violent, guys. Don't you guys say that all the time about protestors and muslims and shit? And look at you right now!
I'll disagree with you. some words drive kids to suicide. so that is just flat out wrong.
If words drive a kid to suicide, they had problems anyways, honestly. Kids should understand words don't harm you. YOU let words harm you.
sometimes words are evil. that is just a fact. They can cut a kid to the bone.
The kids parents should make them understand words mean nothing.
Until "words" like "racist" and "sexist" are thrown at them, right?

Words are not a reason to get violent, guys. Don't you guys say that all the time about protestors and muslims and shit? And look at you right now!
I'll disagree with you. some words drive kids to suicide. so that is just flat out wrong.
If words drive a kid to suicide, they had problems anyways, honestly. Kids should understand words don't harm you. YOU let words harm you.

If you let them.

Again, I teach little kids, but I am already facing the hurtful words issues. "Sam called me a baby!" To which I reply, "Well, is that true? Are you a baby?" And they say, "No." Then I tell the child to go back, tell Sam they are not a baby, and find a nicer friend to play with.

It works for little kids, but I also think it starts building a foundation to not believe or take to heart everything someone tells you.

What a load of flaccid, meterosexual self-indulgence the OP is. Somebody's gotta cut back on the estrogen injections.

NO REASON to put their hands on another child.

you would be wrong

sometimes, telling the teacher makes things worse

kid needs to learn discernment - I agree that violence is a last resort, but, if a kid were hitting a girl and I found out my son didn't step in, he'd get in trouble for that

my son would also be in trouble with me if another kid hit him & he ran away to go cry to the teacher; a trip to the priciple's office is FAR BETTER than having the other kids think you are weak & easy prey...

that's 2 situations where violence is warranted and the most appropriate reaction

I teach young children, who literally have no time where there isn't an adult nearby. They don't have the capacity to decide when "enough is enough" at that age. Like I said, telling the teacher isn't frowned upon at this age.
that's true. But it will be in middle school.

Yeah, well, there's a reason why I don't teach middle school. Telling becomes "snitching", it's cool to hate school (and teachers), and they smell bad. :badgrin:
If you don't teach middle school, then you are literally missing half the battle.

Bullying in elementary school and kindergarten is harmless compared to that.

I know!

you would be wrong

kid needs to learn discernment - I agree that violence is a last resort, but, if a kid were hitting a girl and I found out my son didn't step in, he'd get in trouble for that

my son would also be in trouble with me if another kid hit him & he ran away to go cry to the teacher; a trip to the priciple's office is FAR BETTER than having the other kids think you are weak & easy prey...

that's 2 situations where violence is warranted and the most appropriate reaction

I teach young children, who literally have no time where there isn't an adult nearby. They don't have the capacity to decide when "enough is enough" at that age. Like I said, telling the teacher isn't frowned upon at this age.
How old?

Are they special needs?

Like I said earlier, context is everything...

Being very sensitive myself, I disagree. Words can hurt, a lot. I'd rather get a slap in the face or a coke poured in my lap than some of the awful words that have been hurled at me.
Words can definitely hurt some people a lot and if you can teach your kids not to care, that's great, but it won't work with all kids.

So he told me one of his friends at school was getting picked on by a bigger kid. He sat idle for a while but got tired of it and hit him in the face.
I sat him down and explained that he should never use violence to protest violence or bullying. It only leads to more violence. I appreciate the loyalty, bravery and friendship, but he handled the situation wrong.
He told me I was right. Here is some exact words "you are right daddy. It doesn't make much sense to fight meanness with more meanness." I told him its put him on the same level that he is fighting against.
In fact, he has no problem admitting when he is wrong. Ever. And I think that is fucking GREAT.
I thought to myself, this boy is intellectually honest and logical. He is fucking smarter than half the country.
Im talking to YOU you fascist nut jobs! My second grader is smarter than you. How does that make you feel?
Hypocrisy solves NOTHING. Grow up America.

You always wanted a girl, and that's how you're raising "her".

See the doctor immediately, ask for puberty blockers for your kid and hormone therapy for you.
so because my kid is a boy, he should go around and beat people up? STFU you idiot

Your kid knows he's a boy, just you don't. According to your advice, it's OK to be bullied and not to defend yourself (or others), because violence is not solution to a violence. Sometimes is not, but in this case, it's the right option.

By the way, where have I said he should go around and beat people up?

you would be wrong

How old?

Are they special needs?

Kindergarten. Some have special needs.

Being very sensitive myself, I disagree. Words can hurt, a lot. I'd rather get a slap in the face or a coke poured in my lap than the some of the awful words that have been hurled at me.
Words can definitely hurt some people a lot and if you can teach your kids not to care, that's great, but it won't work with all kids.

And you come to THIS board?

It took me a long time to grow a thicker skin. But it's necessary.

So he told me one of his friends at school was getting picked on by a bigger kid. He sat idle for a while but got tired of it and hit him in the face.
I sat him down and explained that he should never use violence to protest violence or bullying. It only leads to more violence. I appreciate the loyalty, bravery and friendship, but he handled the situation wrong.
He told me I was right. Here is some exact words "you are right daddy. It doesn't make much sense to fight meanness with more meanness." I told him its put him on the same level that he is fighting against.
In fact, he has no problem admitting when he is wrong. Ever. And I think that is fucking GREAT.
I thought to myself, this boy is intellectually honest and logical. He is fucking smarter than half the country.
Im talking to YOU you fascist nut jobs! My second grader is smarter than you. How does that make you feel?
sometime the weaker kids need others to stand up for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Your entire premise is in error. Your son did something another kid will find helpful in life. That is what we're all about in the US. That is why we went to germany. It's why there is war abroad. To help those who cannot help themselves. Sorry dude, you're wrong.
One of my coworkers' sons is going to juvenile court next week for assault because he smacked a classmate in the head for repeatedly calling him a faggot. Kid warned him but the other kid wouldn't stop. So my coworker's son hit him. Kid wasn't hurt--no blood or bruises. His parents pressed charges and the D.A. decided to "make an example of him" because they were getting sick of the fights at the high school. So this kid, who is really not a bad kid and definitely not a bully, is going to have a juvenile record. The most ironic part is, this past week while they were on break, the two boys were back to hanging out together. No issues. If only his parents could let the storm clouds pass like that.
I have a grandson going through the same thing. He ended up punching that kid for constantly calling him a fking retard. My grandson has Cerebral Palsey. The kid was pushing him and taunting him in class. At times, it is necessary to make a point. Even if the point is a punch. It is to gain leverage back that you lose to the taunt.

The bully kid hasn't gone after him again.

There had to be more to your coworkers story.

See, the difference..your grandson had hands laid upon him.

You get to defend yourself.

You don't get to punch people in the face for calling names. Sorry.
sure you do. why do you suppose some kids commit suicide? you have to come out and play once and awhile to see the world correctly. words can hurt as much as a punch.
Or worse

You are spot on here brother

If you let them.

Again, I teach little kids, but I am already facing the hurtful words issues. "Sam called me a baby!" To which I reply, "Well, is that true? Are you a baby?" And they say, "No." Then I tell the child to go back, tell Sam they are not a baby, and find a nicer friend to play with.

It works for little kids, but I also think it starts building a foundation to not believe or take to heart everything someone tells you.
That only works when they are younger and the "bullies" aren't really trying to do damage.

Being called a "baby" in preschool is harmless compared to being called a "baby" in middle school when you are being assaulted and you are depressed about it.

sometime the weaker kids need others to stand up for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Your entire premise is in error. Your son did something another kid will find helpful in life. That is what we're all about in the US. That is why we went to germany. It's why there is war abroad. To help those who cannot help themselves. Sorry dude, you're wrong.
I have a grandson going through the same thing. He ended up punching that kid for constantly calling him a fking retard. My grandson has Cerebral Palsey. The kid was pushing him and taunting him in class. At times, it is necessary to make a point. Even if the point is a punch. It is to gain leverage back that you lose to the taunt.

sure you do. why do you suppose some kids commit suicide? you have to come out and play once and awhile to see the world correctly. words can hurt as much as a punch.

They commit suicide because they aren't allowed to punch people in the face?
Then they have mental issues and probably should be institutionalized.

And while words may hurt as much as a punch, if you let them, the pure fact is that it's illegal to punch people in the face for speaking words that *hurt* you.

Being very sensitive myself, I disagree. Words can hurt, a lot. I'd rather get a slap in the face or a coke poured in my lap than the some of the awful words that have been hurled at me.

And you come to THIS board?

It took me a long time to grow a thicker skin. But it's necessary.
No one here really knows me. It makes a big difference.

I teach my children that violence is always the answer. To all life's problems. Teacher assigns too much homework? Beat that ass! McD's forgot your nuggets? Beat that ass! Old lady taking too much time at the store for lottery tickets? Yup, you guess it! Beat that ass!

If you let them.

That only works when they are younger and the "bullies" aren't really trying to do damage.

Being called a "baby" in preschool is harmless compared to being called a "baby" in middle school when you are being assaulted and you are depressed about it.

If you let that bother you. Sorry, but that's the case. Verbal abuse shouldn't be tolerated at school, but violence isn't the cure for it.

They commit suicide because they aren't allowed to punch people in the face?
Then they have mental issues and probably should be institutionalized.

And while words may hurt as much as a punch, if you let them, the pure fact is that it's illegal to punch people in the face for speaking words that *hurt* you.
Jesus Christ, Koshergirl. You'll have everyone institutionalized before long!

you would be wrong

How old?

Are they special needs?

Kindergarten. Some have special needs.
Bullying really doesn't even exist yet at that stage.

It is really more about having power over weaker kids than physically or emotionally hurting them.

Elementary school is when the malicious thoughts start, and by middle school you are perfectly capable of causing suicides.

Forum List

Back