Need a new mower for 5 acres...

Got a zero turn mower and cut the mowing time by more than half.

Not necessary for the money unless you have a bunch of trees and flower beds to mow around.
There's not a lot to mow around but it's nearly four acres that is oddly shaped, sort of like a gourd. Plus the neighbors all share in keeping the roadside mowed. I'll never mow with anything else.

If ya had ten acres ya wouldnt think that way.
A zero turn doesnt help you in the least unless you have a bunch of crap you need to mow around.
The 8 acres I had to cut was on slopes and flats where the zero turn made it a bitch,it's a constant battle to keep a straight line on a slope.
The few obstacles I had to mow around were trees and they were easy to cut around in your second pass.

You callin me a cracker???:1peleas:

I ain't never seen what you do with cows. :icon_sjung:

iu

Actually I don't have any :crybaby:not enough yard for that...….wish I did though. :cow:

Kinda drives me nuts when people with acreage don't utilize it to the full advantage :102:

It's easier to let someone graze some cattle on your property for the Ag exemption. No cost to you and your taxes are dirt cheap.

Oh...and the guy who's grazing cattle on your property has to pay you for the privilege knocking down your tax burden even further.

Maybe......but I'd like to own a few of those cattle myself :thup:

Than trade the grazing price for a side off beef once a year.

I ain't never seen what you do with cows. :icon_sjung:

iu

Actually I don't have any :crybaby:not enough yard for that...….wish I did though. :cow:

Kinda drives me nuts when people with acreage don't utilize it to the full advantage :102:

It's easier to let someone graze some cattle on your property for the Ag exemption. No cost to you and your taxes are dirt cheap.

Oh...and the guy who's grazing cattle on your property has to pay you for the privilege knocking down your tax burden even further.

yabbit, still not the same...…….I'd still love to put my theories into practice......kinda like that Amish organic thing.

But too many broken fences, escapees, predator attacks, possible disease......THEN I'd look into renting or leasing the land to someone else's troubles.

yabbit, still not the same...…….I'd still love to put my theories into practice......kinda like that Amish organic thing.

But too many broken fences, escapees, predator attacks, possible disease......THEN I'd look into renting or leasing the land to someone else's troubles.

It's on the renter to keep the fence up. After all they aint your cows.
You can also make a deal with the renter to keep a cow for your exclusive use and you can feed it what you want at your expense or his,depending on the deal you make.

Hey guys, I'm looking at a John Deere 1023e.
Do you guys think it's worth it to spend 10k on this machine? Or spend a quarter of that amount and get a 25 hp Cub Cadet or Husqvarna...
I appreciate your input please. Thanks.

Buy some goats, build a fence and a nice chair and watch the grass grow; then all you need to do is pick up the digested grass left in piles.

It's on the renter to keep the fence up. After all they aint your cows.
You can also make a deal with the renter to keep a cow for your exclusive use and you can feed it what you want at your expense or his,depending on the deal you make.

We used to sponsor FFA kids in high school for a portion of the end results at the time of sale.
Ya can get some bad ass beef or pork and help your local chapter of the FFA.

John Deere Deere decks are of a proper mil.

You could probably get it done with whatever my neighbor has. Like $1300 or so.

What about New Holland? Oh man, one of my good friends loved his New Holland.

He welded a hook to the bucket, nothing made him happier than when I rigged up a couple of big old logs and he curled them up with that bucket and put them in a pile. He absolutely beamed carrying them logs. :113:

God bless him! He taught me how to tie a running bowline with chain.

Watching him go..you could just hear "She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her on". :auiqs.jpg:

We did weeks of that stuff. Good times. :)

My Uncle had a New Holland and he raved about it.
From what I read stay away from the Kubota because they have a bad rep when it comes to warranty work.
I say just get a Deer and you wont have to worry about warranty work....there wont be any.

I don't know about the current versions as I have not kept up with them, but the first generations of Kubota products could be a pain in the ass to work on for some things as so much was encased in the frames. You had to pull the entire engine just to reach the transmission for instance.

He welded a hook to the bucket, nothing made him happier than when I rigged up a couple of big old logs and he curled them up with that bucket and put them in a pile. He absolutely beamed carrying them logs. :113:

Watching him go..you could just hear "She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her on". :auiqs.jpg:

From what I read stay away from the Kubota because they have a bad rep when it comes to warranty work.
I say just get a Deer and you wont have to worry about warranty work....there wont be any.

I don't know about the current versions as I have not kept up with them, but the first generations of Kubota products could be a pain in the ass to work on for some things as so much was encased in the frames. You had to pull the entire engine just to reach the transmission for instance.

There's a Youtuber named ChuckE something or another that has a welding channel that bought one new and had nothing but problems with it.
If a guy with a somewhat popular Youtube channel cant get Kubota to honor their warranty I'd say stay away.

There's a Youtuber named ChuckE something or another that has a welding channel that bought one new and had nothing but problems with it.
If a guy with a somewhat popular Youtube channel cant get Kubota to honor their warranty I'd say stay away.

My dad had a tractor for a bit. It had some plastic piece in the transmission and the transmission was set inside the frame and they had to pull the engine to repair. He didn't have a problem with warranty as there is a local company that sold it that fixed it. His bigger complaint was the gearing. The low range was a lot of too slow speeds and the high range were too fast highway speeds. There was no good mid speed gears on it. He ended up trading it in on a Case IH

I like my kubota bushhogging/tiller/auger/etc. It runs on diesel fuel. (use yellow storage cans)

And I love my husqvarna zero turn. If your land has irregular places, get about 3-6 springs, which break when you get high-centered on clay soil. It runs on cheapest gas. (use red storage cans.)

I have had Husq mowers. Have a big chainsaw by them getting a smaller one too soon. 455 Rancher too big for limbing! I used a regular mower took me 4 hrs to mow. With the zero I do it 1.5 hrs!

Hey guys, I'm looking at a John Deere 1023e.
Do you guys think it's worth it to spend 10k on this machine? Or spend a quarter of that amount and get a 25 hp Cub Cadet or Husqvarna...
I appreciate your input please. Thanks.
No way.
For 10 k you could find a good zero° turn mower for half that.

You want the toughest fastest mower around ? Get a 27 hp 60"cut Dixie Chopper.
$4500

1588633478821.png

Last edited:
If you want to spend $10k, get a 72 " and cut 5 acres in about an hour.
1588634291754.png

Dixie choppers popular here. I paid $4200 for the Hustler Raptor 6 years ago, 0 down, 0 interest. Runs awesome but took a while to get used to sticks don't return to neutral. Found it OK though. Set one stick, use the other you can smoke a cig, pick your nose or whatever.

Who makes that 0 with shocks, Simplicity?

Idk what to say in 2019. I'll be purchasing a skid steer of some sort, with the claw. That's not for mowing grass. What about cows? :eek:

hey, don't knock the cow idea......if you got the room, why not? As I said, you'd end up with a freezer full of organic grass fed beef and possibly a few bucks in your pocket to boot......and if you keep a small herd going, you'll have that for years to come.

I'd rather change the oil in a tractor than pay for the vet bills.

Raise em right and there shouldn't be any
Sheep.
433a8a232b2ed95a20001dc409058214.jpg

Forum List

Back