Never tell me America is racist: An open letter to protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how racism works in 2020 and you know it.

Are you telling me that racism should work in only the ways YOU want it to?

Is that what I'm getting?
I don't want racism to work at all. You just made a dumb ass comment.
Temp is a study in deflecting away from his original point. Its his "tell". You slice his bullshit up and he starts talking about everything but his point. I'm still waiting for him to show my how racism or racists are gone from the US.
Does electing a black man potus twice mean anything?
No. Do you want to know why?
I suspect it helps you explain your race’s failures.

Are you African-American? Because I have to say that the only way you can make your claim credible is if you're black. Otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass.

Your arrogance and condescension are incredible.

I don't need to be an African American to have pity for the plights you and your ancestors were put through, but I will not have you revising history and telling me to accept it because "I'm black, and I say so." Nor will I have you impugning me for the color of my skin or for the actions of my ancestors.

If I know nothing about being black, you know absolutely nothing about being white.

Be off with that.
The only plight he's been through is a course in black studies at his university.
I wouldn't doubt that for a second.
Wow, from your response, I guess that you assume that I'm African-American. As a matter of fact, I know all about being white. In fact, I know all about being white and privileged. So why did you assume that I'm black?

I'm not sure what I posted that you consider "revising history and telling [you] to accept it because 'I'm black, and I say so.'" Especially since I'm not black. Is it so beyond your understanding that you can't even conceive that a white person could empathize with a black person?

A white man who knows what it is to be black. I'm sure IM2 would love to hear all about it.

iu

Hate to break it to you....America is racist. Its even in the original document used to form it

Curious, you obviously missed how many people died to end it during the Civil War. A white man abolished it. Abraham Lincoln. A white man signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Lyndon Johnson.

The document didn't change, the interpretation of it did.

America isn't racist.
The civil war was about much more than slavery.

Are you African-American? Because I have to say that the only way you can make your claim credible is if you're black. Otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass.

Your arrogance and condescension are incredible.

I don't need to be an African American to have pity for the plights you and your ancestors were put through, but I will not have you revising history and telling me to accept it because "I'm black, and I say so." Nor will I have you impugning me for the color of my skin or for the actions of my ancestors.

If I know nothing about being black, you know absolutely nothing about being white.

Be off with that.
The only plight he's been through is a course in black studies at his university.
I wouldn't doubt that for a second.
Wow, from your response, I guess that you assume that I'm African-American. As a matter of fact, I know all about being white. In fact, I know all about being white and privileged. So why did you assume that I'm black?

I'm not sure what I posted that you consider "revising history and telling [you] to accept it because 'I'm black, and I say so.'" Especially since I'm not black. Is it so beyond your understanding that you can't even conceive that a white person could empathize with a black person?

A white man who knows what it is to be black. I'm sure IM2 would love to hear all about it.
Since he did not say he knew what it is to be black, or have I ever read any of his postings suggesting such, along with the fact that he has never told me he knows as much about being black ad I do or any other black person here, don't get the case of butthurt when I show him the respect you won't get. Empathizing and direct knowledge are 2 different things.

Temp is a study in deflecting away from his original point. Its his "tell". You slice his bullshit up and he starts talking about everything but his point. I'm still waiting for him to show my how racism or racists are gone from the US.
Since the root cause of our problems is white racism perhaps it is your races failures that are the problem.

Since the root cause of our problems is white racism perhaps it is your races failures that are the problem.
Will your race’s problems end when white racism ends?

Actually we have disproved every claim you have made. You're dreadfully ignorant.

I would LOOOOVE to see that.
You show us the date that racism actually ended in America and peer reviewed evidence of it's elimination.

Dates. And sure.

April 12, 1861 - The Civil War begins with the
Confederate bombardment of Fort Sumter. South Carolina.

January 1, 1863 - Abraham Lincoln issues Proclamation 95, The Emancipation Proclamation

April 9, 1865 - Robert E. Lee surrenders at Appomattox Court House

May 5, 1865 - Jefferson Davis dissolves the Confederacy in Washington, Georgia

May 10, 1865 - Jefferson Davis is captured by Union troops

April 9, 1866 - The Civil Rights Act of 1866 is passed by congress, but was not enforced due to lack of constitutional power by congress to enforce it.

August 20, 1866 - President Andrew Johnson declares an official end to the Civil War

July 9, 1868 - Ratification of the 14th Amendment

February 3, 1870 - Ratification of the 15th Amendment, opened the way for the Civil Rights Act of 1866 to be legally enforced

May 31, 1870 - Ulysses S. Grant signs the Enforcement Act of 1870, subsequently enforcing the CRA of 1866

April 3, 1944 - In Smith v. Allwright, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the "White primary," which excluded blacks from voting, was unconstitutional.

May 3, 1948 - In Shelley v. Kraemer, the United States Supreme Court ruled that lower courts could not enforce restrictive housing covenants.

July 26, 1948 - President Harry S. Truman signed Executive Order 9981, which stated, "It is hereby declared to be the policy of the President that there shall be equality of treatment and opportunity for all persons in the armed services without regard to race, color, religion, or national origin."

May 17, 1954 - In Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, the United States Supreme Court ruled unanimously that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal" and that "the plaintiffs and others similarly situated… are … deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment." The decision outlawed segregation in all public schools in the United States.

September 25, 1957 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower ordered federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, after unsuccessfully trying to persuade Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus to give up his efforts to block desegregation at Central High. Faubus and a mob of whites were forced to allow nine African American children to attend school on this day.

May 6, 1960 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the Civil Rights Act of 1960, which prohibited intimidation of black voters and gave judges the power to appoint referees to oversee voter registration.

March 6, 1961 - President John F. Kennedy issued Executive Order 10925, which created the President's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity and mandated that projects financed with federal funds "take affirmative action" to ensure that hiring and employment practices are free of racial bias.

January 23, 1964 - The 24th Amendment is ratified, abolishing the poll tax, which had been instituted in southern states after Reconstruction to make it difficult for poor blacks to vote.

July 2, 1964 - President Lyndon Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act

June 4, 1965 - In a speech to the graduating class at Howard University, President Lyndon B. Johnson frames the philosophy underlying affirmative action, making the assertion that civil rights laws alone were not enough to remedy the effects of past discrimination.

August 6, 1965 - President Lyndon Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965

June 12, 1967 - Loving v. Virginia, the United States Supreme Court rules that prohibiting interracial marriages was unconstitutional.

August 30, 1967 - Thurgood Marshall becomes the first African American to serve as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

April 11, 1968 - President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Fair Housing Act, prohibiting racial discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of most housing units in the country.

April 20, 1971 - The United States Supreme Court, in Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, upholds busing as a legitimate means for achieving the integration of public schools.

Want more?

I can give you more. Or you can bow out. Gracefully.
Racism did not end on any of those dates.

Lincoln signed words on a piece of paper but were those words actually honored?

Not really.

At the time of "emancipation" 80 percent of Americas GNP was tied to slavery. America, not just the south. Blacks got none of the money. In January of 1865, Special Field Order 15 was issued. Special Field Orders No. 15 - Wikipedia In July 1865, Circular 13, Resource Sheet #7 was issued by General Howard which fully authorized the lease of 40 acres of land to the newly freed slaves. As a result of this action 40,000 former slaves began work on several hundred thousand acres of land.

President Andrew Johnson killed that by his doing so removed those 40,000 blacks off that land and destroyed any income they could make. Meanwhile Johnson advocated for the homestead act and wanted to take plantation land and distribute it to whites without money.

Johnson pardoned most of the confederate leaders and they regained their prior positions of state leadership. By doing this, Johnson unleashed a reign of terror on blacks that really was nothing short of attempted ethnic cleansing. Blacks were beaten, scalped, killed, set on fire with their bodies left in the streets to rot.

A representative from the Johnson administration traveled the south and reported seeing black women scalped, or had their ears cut off, thrown into rivers and drowned. Black men and boys were clubbed, beaten, shot, some chained on trees and burned to death. State to state this man witnessed the stench of dead decomposing black bodies hanging from tree limbs, lying in ditches, and piled up on the roadways.

But blacks were free, right?

Three months after Sherman issued his Field Orders, No. 15, the U.S. Congress created the Freedmen's Bureau for the purpose of ensuring the welfare of millions of slaves being freed by the war.

One task of the Freedmen's Bureau was to be the management of lands confiscated from those who had rebelled against the United States. The intent of Congress, led by the Radical Republicans, was to break up the plantations and redistribute the land so former slaves could have their own small farms.

Andrew Johnson became president following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in April 1865. And Johnson, on May 28, 1865, issued a proclamation of pardon and amnesty to citizens in the South who would take an oath of allegiance.

As part of the pardon process, lands confiscated during the war would be returned to white landowners. So while the Radical Republicans had fully intended for there to be a massive redistribution of land from former slave owners to former slaves under Reconstruction, Johnson's policy effectively thwarted that.

And by late 1865 the policy of granting the coastal lands in Georgia to freed slaves had run into serious roadblocks. An article in the New York Times on December 20, 1865 described the situation: the former owners of the land were demanding its return, and the policy of President Andrew Johnson was to give the land back to them.

It has been estimated that approximately 40,000 former slaves received grants of land under Sherman's order. But the land was taken away from them.

Sharecropping Became the Reality for Freed Slaves
Denied the opportunity to own their own small farms, most former slaves were forced to live under the system of sharecropping.

Life as a sharecropper generally meant living in poverty. And sharecropping would have been a bitter disappointment to people who once believed they could become independent farmers.

Sharecropping was a system of agriculture instituted in the American South during the period of Reconstruction after the Civil War. It essentially replaced the plantation system which had relied on slave labor and effectively created a new system of bondage.

Under the system of sharecropping, a poor farmer who did not own land would work a plot belonging to a landowner. The farmer would receive a share of the harvest as payment.

So while the former slave was technically free, he would still find himself bound to the land, which was often the very same land he had farmed while enslaved. And in practice, the newly freed slave faced a life of extremely limited economic opportunity.

Generally speaking, sharecropping doomed freed slaves to a life of poverty. And the system of sharecropping, in actual practice, doomed generations of American in the South to an impoverished existence in an economically stunted region.

Beginning of the Sharecropping System
Following the elimination of slavery, the plantation system in the South could no longer exist. Landowners, such as cotton planters who had owned vast plantations, had to face a new economic reality. They may have owned vast amounts of land, but they did not have the labor to work it, and they did not have the money to hire farm workers.

The millions of freed slaves also had to face a new way of life. Though freed from bondage, they had to cope with numerous problems in the post-slavery economy.

Many freed slaves were illiterate, and all they knew was farm work. And they were unfamiliar with the concept of working for wages.

Indeed, with freedom, many former slaves aspired to become independent farmers owning land. And such aspirations were fueled by rumors that the U.S. government would help them get a start as farmers with a promise of "forty acres and a mule."

In reality, former slaves were seldom able to establish themselves as independent farmers. And as plantation owners broke up their estates into smaller farms, many former slaves became sharecroppers on the land of their former masters.

Yes. Will yours?

Yes. Will yours?
I think white racism has mostly ended, but your race is desperate to keep it alive. I suspect you guys do this to excuse your race’s failures.

America is racist. The younger whites are marching because they see it.

That within itself disproves the idea that America is racist.
How so? Younger whites are saying america is racist

But yeah, America is racist.
Worse. You've seen the pics. I know you were in that thread last night.
View attachment 347291

And no, I don't recall seeing this picture in particular.

What thread are you referring to exactly?

Let me continue.

In the Civil Rights Cases of 1883, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the Civil Rights Act of 1875, which had prohibited racial discrimination in hotels, trains, and other public places, was unconstitutional.

In an 8-1 decision, the court ruled that the 13th and 14th amendments to the Constitution did not give Congress the power to regulate the affairs of private individuals and businesses.

Background
During the post-Civil War Reconstruction Period between 1866 and 1877, Congress passed several civil rights laws intended to implement the 13th and 14th amendments.

The last and most aggressive of these laws, the Civil Rights Act of 1875, imposed criminal penalties against the owners of private businesses or modes of transportation that restricted access to their facilities because of race.

The law read, in part:

“(A)ll persons within the jurisdiction of the United States shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, and privileges of inns, public conveyances on land or water, theaters, and other places of public amusement; subject only to the conditions and limitations established by law, and applicable alike to citizens of every race and color, regardless of any previous condition of servitude.”
Many people in both the South and the North objected to the Civil Rights Act of 1875, arguing that the law unfairly infringed on personal freedom of choice. Indeed, the legislatures of some Southern states had already enacted laws allowing separate public facilities for whites and African Americans.

Details of the Cases
In the Civil Rights Cases of 1883, the Supreme Court took the rare route of deciding five separate but closely related cases with one unified ruling.

The five cases (United States v. Stanley, United States v. Ryan, United States v. Nichols, United States v. Singleton, and Robinson v. Memphis & Charleston Railroad) reached the Supreme Court on appeal from the lower federal courts and involved suits filed by African American citizens claiming they had been illegally been refused equal access to restaurants, hotels, theaters, and trains as required by the Civil Rights Act of 1875.

Decision and Reasoning
In an 8-1 opinion written by Justice Joseph P. Bradley, the Supreme Court found the Civil Rights Act of 1875 to be unconstitutional. Justice Bradley declared that neither the 13th nor the 14th Amendment granted Congress the power to enact laws dealing with racial discrimination by private citizens or businesses.

Of the 13th Amendment, Bradley wrote, “The 13th Amendment has respect, not to distinctions of race … but to slavery.” Bradley added,

“The 13th Amendment relates to slavery and involuntary servitude (which it abolishes); ... yet such legislative power extends only to the subject of slavery and its incidents; and the denial of equal accommodations in inns, public conveyances and places of public amusement (which is forbidden by the sections in question), imposes no badge of slavery or involuntary servitude upon the party, but at most, infringes rights which are protected from State aggression by the 14th Amendment.”
Justice Bradley went on to agree with the argument that the 14th Amendment applied only to the states, not to private citizens or businesses.

He wrote:

“The 14th Amendment is prohibitory upon the States only, and the legislation authorized to be adopted by Congress for enforcing it is not direct legislation on the matters respecting which the States are prohibited from making or enforcing certain laws, or doing certain acts, but it is corrective legislation, such as may be necessary or proper for counteracting and redressing the effect of such laws or acts.”
The Lone Dissent
Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote the only dissenting opinion in the Civil Rights Cases. Harlan’s belief that the majority’s “narrow and artificial” interpretation 13th and 14th Amendments led him to write,

“I cannot resist the conclusion that the substance and spirit of the recent amendments of the Constitution have been sacrificed by a subtle and ingenious verbal criticism.”
Harlan wrote that the 13th Amendment did far more than “to prohibit slavery as an institution,” it also “established and decreed universal civil freedom throughout the United States.”

In addition, noted Harlan, Section II of the 13th Amendment decreed that “Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation,” and had thus been the basis for the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which granted full citizenship to all persons born in the United States.

Harlan contended that the 13th and 14th amendments, as well as the Civil Rights Act of 1875, were constitutional acts of Congress intended to ensure African Americans the same rights to access and use of public facilities that white citizens took for granted as their natural right.

In summary, Harlan stated that the federal government had both the authority and the responsibility to protect citizens from any actions that deprive them of their rights and to allow private racial discrimination would “permit the badges and incidents of slavery” to remain.

Impact
The Supreme Court’s decision in the Civil Rights Cases virtually stripped the federal government of any power to ensure African Americans equal protection under the law.

Stop now before I put my foot so far up your ass that you will be used as a shoe. You posted a bunch of cases but what you didn't post was how whites reacted to those decisions. You have to abide by a law to make it count. Whites circumvented federal decisions by the use of states rights.

At least 31 percent of white Americans today hold racist views according to a IPSOS Poll for Thomson Reuters and the University of Virginia Center for Politics, that was conducted online from Aug. 21 to Sept. 5, 2017.

“Thirty-one percent of Americans polled strongly or somewhat agreed that ‘America must protect and preserve its White European heritage.”

White people are the majority of the U.S. population, totaling about 245,532,000 or 77.7% of the population as of 2017. Non-Hispanic whites are 62.6% of the country's population. According to this poll, we are looking at potentially 76 million whites that continue to share the views of white supremacists. These numbers equal approximately 1/5th of the American population at that time. It is safe to say these numbers have not reduced.

Yes. Will yours?
I think white racism has mostly ended, but your race is desperate to keep it alive. I suspect you guys do this to excuse your race’s failures.
You're white and whites like you cant handle the truth. Our failures are due to things caused by white racism. Turn black and try living then tell me how it's not so. Your opinion is like a man telling a woman labor pains aren't real.

After slavery ended whites went on a killing spree in an attempt at ethnic cleansing in the south. But that was not all.

The Slaughter-House Cases, 83 U.S. (16 Wall.) 36 (1873), was a U.S. Supreme Court decision that held that the Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution only protects the legal rights that are associated with federal citizenship, not those that pertain to state citizenship. The decision consolidated two similar cases.

Seeking to improve sanitary conditions, the Louisiana legislature and the city of New Orleans had established a corporation charged with regulating the slaughterhouse industry. Members of the Butchers' Benevolent Association challenged the constitutionality of the corporation, claiming that it violated the Fourteenth Amendment. That amendment had been ratified in the aftermath of the American Civil War with the primary intention of protecting civil rights of millions of newly emancipated freedmen in the Southern United States, but the butchers argued that the amendment protected their right to "sustain their lives through labor."

In the majority opinion written by Associate Justice Samuel Freeman Miller, the Court held to a narrower interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment than the plaintiffs urged, ruling that it did not restrict the police powers exercised by Louisiana because the Privileges or Immunities Clause protected only those rights guaranteed by the United States, not individual states. In effect, the clause was interpreted to convey limited protection pertinent to a small minority of rights, such as the right to seek federal office.

In a dissenting opinion, Associate Justice Stephen J. Field wrote that Miller's opinion effectively rendered the Fourteenth Amendment a "vain and idle enactment." Though the decision in the Slaughter-House Cases minimized the impact of the Privileges or Immunities Clause on state law, the Supreme Court would later strike down state laws on the basis of other clauses in the Fourteenth Amendment, including the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause.

Slaughter-House Cases - Wikipedia

Basically this was the beginning of states rights. States rights allowed whites to nullify or ignore federal laws such as the 13th and 14th amendments.

Blacks were supposed to have been given the right to vote by the fifteenth amendment.

The Fifteenth Amendment (Amendment XV) to the United States Constitution prohibits the federal government and each state from denying a citizen the right to vote based on that citizen's "race, color, or previous condition of servitude." It was ratified on February 3, 1870, as the third and last of the Reconstruction Amendments.

Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia

But alas, the constitution didn't matter to whites.

Minor v. Happersett, U.S. Supreme Court case in which the court ruled unanimously in 1874 that the right of suffrage was not protected by the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

In its decision the Supreme Court declared that the privileges and immunities of citizenship are not defined by the U.S. Constitution; thus, individual states’ enfranchisement of male citizens only was not necessarily a violation of the citizenship rights of women. This finding effectively put an end to attempts to win voting rights for women through court decree. Subsequent efforts in the woman suffrage movement in the United States focused on the revision of voting laws of individual states and on the ratification of a separate amendment to the Constitution.

Minor v. Happersett | law case

Now before the excuses start from the racists about how this only applied to women:

United States v. Reese, 92 U.S. 214 (1876), was a voting rights case in which the United States Supreme Court narrowly construed the 15th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which provides that suffrage for citizens can not be restricted due to race, color or the individual having previously been a slave.

This was the Supreme Court's first voting rights case under the Fifteenth Amendment and the Enforcement Act of 1870. A Kentucky electoral official had refused to register an African‐American's vote in a municipal election and was indicted under two sections of the 1871 act: section 1 required that administrative preliminaries to elections be conducted without regard to race, color, or previous condition of servitude; section 2 forbade wrongful refusal to register votes where a prerequisite step “required as foresaid” had been omitted.

The Court held that the Fifteenth Amendment did not confer the right of suffrage, but it prohibited exclusion from voting on racial grounds. The justices invalidated the operative section 3 of the Enforcement Act since it did not repeat the amendment's words about race, color, and servitude. They ruled that the section exceeded the scope of the Fifteenth Amendment. This ruling was the grounds for which the Ku Klux Klan was invented, as it provided white southerners with legal reassurance.

United States v. Reese - Wikipedia

This was an 8-1 SCOTUS decision whereby the court decided that,"the 15th amendment did not guarantee the right to vote but it just prevented states from giving preference to one citizen over another on account of race or color." Chief Justice Morrison Waite, a REPUBLICAN, decided that the right to vote was decided by the states.

Let us continue with the years after slavery and what it meant for blacks.

Thus far we see that whites went on a killing spree that can only be described as attempted ethnic cleansing. After that, the supreme court pretty much killed the 13th,14th, and 15th amendments by saying that issues of racial discrimination was not a federal concern. So let us move forward with more of the stone cold truth.

The Colfax Massacre (1873)

The Colfax Massacre occurred on April 13, 1873. The battle-turned-massacre took place in the small town of Colfax, Louisiana as a clash between blacks and whites. Three whites and an estimated 150 blacks died in the conflict.

The massacre took place against the backdrop of racial tensions following the hotly contested Louisiana governor’s race of 1872. While the Republicans narrowly won the contest and retained control of the state, white Democrats, angry over the defeat, vowed revenge. In Colfax Parish (county) as in other areas of the state, they organized a white militia to directly challenge the mostly black state militia under the control of the governor.

One incident however, touched off the Colfax massacre. On March 28, local white Democratic leaders called for armed supporters to help them take the Colfax Parish Courthouse from the black and white GOP officeholders on April 1. The Republicans responded by urging their mostly black supporters to defend them. Although nothing happened on April 1, the next day fighting erupted between the two groups.

On April 13, Easter Sunday, more than 300 armed white men, including members of white supremacist organizations such as the Knights of White Camellia and the Ku Klux Klan, attacked the Courthouse building. When the militia maneuvered a cannon to fire on the Courthouse, some of the sixty black defenders fled while others surrendered. When the leader of the attackers, James Hadnot, was accidentally shot by one of his own men, the white militia responded by shooting the black prisoners. Those who were wounded in the earlier battle, particularly black militia members, were singled out for execution The indiscriminate killing spread to African Americans who had not been at the courthouse and continued into the night.

All told, approximately 150 African Americans were killed, including 48 who were murdered after the battle. Only three whites were killed, and few were injured in the largely one-sided battle of Colfax.

The Colfax Massacre (1873) •

So what did the US government do to provide equal protection to newly freed blacks?

U.S. v. Cruikshank

March 27, 1876
The Cruikshank case arose from the 1873 Colfax Massacre, in which a group of armed whites killed more than a hundred African American men as a result of a political dispute. Three men convicted of violating the 1870 Enforcement Act – a law aimed primarily at curbing Ku Klux Klan violence that forbade conspiracies to deny the constitutional rights of any citizen – appealed on the grounds that their indictments were insufficient. When the case reached the Supreme Court, the Court sided with the defendants, holding that the rights they were alleged to have violated were not enforceable in this case. The First and Second Amendment rights to assembly and the bearing of arms were, according to the Court’s ruling, intended only to restrict the actions of the federal government and did not apply to the states or private citizens, and the Fourteenth Amendment rights to due process and equal protection applied only to state action and again, not to the actions of individuals.

https://www.fjc.gov/history/timeline/us-v-cruikshank

Once again Chief Justice Waite, a REPUBLICAN:

Chief Justice Morrison Waite overturned the convictions of the defendants, holding that the plaintiffs had to rely on state courts for protection. Waite ruled that neither the First Amendment nor the Second Amendment applied to the actions of state governments or to individuals. He further ruled that the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applied to the actions of state governments, but not to individuals. The decision left African Americans in the South at the mercy of increasingly hostile state governments dominated by white Democratic legislatures, and allowed groups such as the Ku Klux Klan to continue to use paramilitary force to suppress black voting.

United States v. Cruikshank - Wikipedia

You don’t get it. If there is racism and there is then deal with it. If Store A hates Jews, I ll go to Store B. It’s not overly difficult. We have millions marching, we have millions more talking about it. What more do you want?

I just cited a few things. For example
The discussion isnt about who owns the issue. The discussion is about if it exists

I never said it was nonexistent. Even OldLady understood that, and we couldn't be further apart on racial issues.

Racism exists everywhere, but not in the quantities you seem to think it does.

You live in ignorance and are comfortable with it.
There is no such thing as an acceptable quantity of racism.

I never said there was an 'acceptable quantity' of racism.

I am simply pointing out your and Asclepias' paranoia on the subject. Racism isn't prominent in America anymore. Does it exist as a practice? Yes of course. But a great deal of America's population disapproves of it.

Therefore, America is not racist. It has atoned for its sins and transformed into a racially tolerant country. You can keep claiming otherwise, or you can succumb to reality and accept the facts as they stand.
We are not paranoid, nor do we fall for racial gaslighting. Racism is still a a huge problem and until it reaches zero we don't stop trying to end it.

At least 31 percent of white Americans today hold racist views according to a IPSOS Poll for Thomson Reuters and the University of Virginia Center for Politics, that was conducted online from Aug. 21 to Sept. 5, 2017.

That same year.0046 percent of all Americans died from murder. We don't to trying to enf morder at less than 1/2 of 1 percent but we want to ignore a problem that 31 percent of white Americans have. Why is that templar? It is because you benefit from it.

Whites like you are always trying to tell us how racism is gone. It is not gone. That is the facts as they stand. Full stop.

May 3, 1948 - In Shelley v. Kraemer, the United States Supreme Court ruled that lower courts could not enforce restrictive housing covenants.

May 17, 1954 - In Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, the United States Supreme Court ruled unanimously that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal" and that "the plaintiffs and others similarly situated… are … deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment." The decision outlawed segregation in all public schools in the United States.

September 25, 1957 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower ordered federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, after unsuccessfully trying to persuade Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus to give up his efforts to block desegregation at Central High. Faubus and a mob of whites were forced to allow nine African American children to attend school on this day.

The fact Eisenhower had to send troops to stop segregation in a state shows that laws were not followed. I can do this to every one of these junior. Just because a law is passed doesn't mean anything has ended. A segment of White society has been notorious for finding ways to go around laws they don't want to follow.

Actually we have disproved every claim you have made. You're dreadfully ignorant.

I would LOOOOVE to see that.
You show us the date that racism actually ended in America and peer reviewed evidence of it's elimination.

Dates. And sure.

April 12, 1861 - The Civil War begins with the
Confederate bombardment of Fort Sumter. South Carolina.

January 1, 1863 - Abraham Lincoln issues Proclamation 95, The Emancipation Proclamation

April 9, 1865 - Robert E. Lee surrenders at Appomattox Court House

May 5, 1865 - Jefferson Davis dissolves the Confederacy in Washington, Georgia

May 10, 1865 - Jefferson Davis is captured by Union troops

April 9, 1866 - The Civil Rights Act of 1866 is passed by congress, but was not enforced due to lack of constitutional power by congress to enforce it.

August 20, 1866 - President Andrew Johnson declares an official end to the Civil War

July 9, 1868 - Ratification of the 14th Amendment

February 3, 1870 - Ratification of the 15th Amendment, opened the way for the Civil Rights Act of 1866 to be legally enforced

May 31, 1870 - Ulysses S. Grant signs the Enforcement Act of 1870, subsequently enforcing the CRA of 1866

April 3, 1944 - In Smith v. Allwright, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the "White primary," which excluded blacks from voting, was unconstitutional.

July 26, 1948 - President Harry S. Truman signed Executive Order 9981, which stated, "It is hereby declared to be the policy of the President that there shall be equality of treatment and opportunity for all persons in the armed services without regard to race, color, religion, or national origin."

May 6, 1960 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the Civil Rights Act of 1960, which prohibited intimidation of black voters and gave judges the power to appoint referees to oversee voter registration.

March 6, 1961 - President John F. Kennedy issued Executive Order 10925, which created the President's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity and mandated that projects financed with federal funds "take affirmative action" to ensure that hiring and employment practices are free of racial bias.

January 23, 1964 - The 24th Amendment is ratified, abolishing the poll tax, which had been instituted in southern states after Reconstruction to make it difficult for poor blacks to vote.

July 2, 1964 - President Lyndon Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act

June 4, 1965 - In a speech to the graduating class at Howard University, President Lyndon B. Johnson frames the philosophy underlying affirmative action, making the assertion that civil rights laws alone were not enough to remedy the effects of past discrimination.

August 6, 1965 - President Lyndon Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965

June 12, 1967 - Loving v. Virginia, the United States Supreme Court rules that prohibiting interracial marriages was unconstitutional.

August 30, 1967 - Thurgood Marshall becomes the first African American to serve as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

April 11, 1968 - President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Fair Housing Act, prohibiting racial discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of most housing units in the country.

April 20, 1971 - The United States Supreme Court, in Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, upholds busing as a legitimate means for achieving the integration of public schools.

Want more?

I can give you more. Or you can bow out. Gracefully.
Racism did not end on any of those dates.

Lincoln signed words on a piece of paper but were those words actually honored?

Not really.

At the time of "emancipation" 80 percent of Americas GNP was tied to slavery. America, not just the south. Blacks got none of the money. In January of 1865, Special Field Order 15 was issued. Special Field Orders No. 15 - Wikipedia In July 1865, Circular 13, Resource Sheet #7 was issued by General Howard which fully authorized the lease of 40 acres of land to the newly freed slaves. As a result of this action 40,000 former slaves began work on several hundred thousand acres of land.

President Andrew Johnson killed that by his doing so removed those 40,000 blacks off that land and destroyed any income they could make. Meanwhile Johnson advocated for the homestead act and wanted to take plantation land and distribute it to whites without money.

Johnson pardoned most of the confederate leaders and they regained their prior positions of state leadership. By doing this, Johnson unleashed a reign of terror on blacks that really was nothing short of attempted ethnic cleansing. Blacks were beaten, scalped, killed, set on fire with their bodies left in the streets to rot.

A representative from the Johnson administration traveled the south and reported seeing black women scalped, or had their ears cut off, thrown into rivers and drowned. Black men and boys were clubbed, beaten, shot, some chained on trees and burned to death. State to state this man witnessed the stench of dead decomposing black bodies hanging from tree limbs, lying in ditches, and piled up on the roadways.

But blacks were free, right?

Three months after Sherman issued his Field Orders, No. 15, the U.S. Congress created the Freedmen's Bureau for the purpose of ensuring the welfare of millions of slaves being freed by the war.

One task of the Freedmen's Bureau was to be the management of lands confiscated from those who had rebelled against the United States. The intent of Congress, led by the Radical Republicans, was to break up the plantations and redistribute the land so former slaves could have their own small farms.

Andrew Johnson became president following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in April 1865. And Johnson, on May 28, 1865, issued a proclamation of pardon and amnesty to citizens in the South who would take an oath of allegiance.

As part of the pardon process, lands confiscated during the war would be returned to white landowners. So while the Radical Republicans had fully intended for there to be a massive redistribution of land from former slave owners to former slaves under Reconstruction, Johnson's policy effectively thwarted that.

And by late 1865 the policy of granting the coastal lands in Georgia to freed slaves had run into serious roadblocks. An article in the New York Times on December 20, 1865 described the situation: the former owners of the land were demanding its return, and the policy of President Andrew Johnson was to give the land back to them.

It has been estimated that approximately 40,000 former slaves received grants of land under Sherman's order. But the land was taken away from them.

Sharecropping Became the Reality for Freed Slaves
Denied the opportunity to own their own small farms, most former slaves were forced to live under the system of sharecropping.

Life as a sharecropper generally meant living in poverty. And sharecropping would have been a bitter disappointment to people who once believed they could become independent farmers.

Sharecropping was a system of agriculture instituted in the American South during the period of Reconstruction after the Civil War. It essentially replaced the plantation system which had relied on slave labor and effectively created a new system of bondage.

Under the system of sharecropping, a poor farmer who did not own land would work a plot belonging to a landowner. The farmer would receive a share of the harvest as payment.

So while the former slave was technically free, he would still find himself bound to the land, which was often the very same land he had farmed while enslaved. And in practice, the newly freed slave faced a life of extremely limited economic opportunity.

Generally speaking, sharecropping doomed freed slaves to a life of poverty. And the system of sharecropping, in actual practice, doomed generations of American in the South to an impoverished existence in an economically stunted region.

Beginning of the Sharecropping System
Following the elimination of slavery, the plantation system in the South could no longer exist. Landowners, such as cotton planters who had owned vast plantations, had to face a new economic reality. They may have owned vast amounts of land, but they did not have the labor to work it, and they did not have the money to hire farm workers.

The millions of freed slaves also had to face a new way of life. Though freed from bondage, they had to cope with numerous problems in the post-slavery economy.

Many freed slaves were illiterate, and all they knew was farm work. And they were unfamiliar with the concept of working for wages.

Indeed, with freedom, many former slaves aspired to become independent farmers owning land. And such aspirations were fueled by rumors that the U.S. government would help them get a start as farmers with a promise of "forty acres and a mule."

In reality, former slaves were seldom able to establish themselves as independent farmers. And as plantation owners broke up their estates into smaller farms, many former slaves became sharecroppers on the land of their former masters.
In case you aren't aware of it, the Constitution prevents the confiscation of land from its owners without compensation.

The U.S. has been in existence for 243 years and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which I presume you're referring to has only been in existence for less that 25% of the lifetime of the United States. That means that for 182 years people of African descent were relegated legislatively, via numerous court judgments and enforced by law enforcement into 2nd class citizen status, that is after we obtained recognition that the rights the U.S. Constitution afforded everyone else also extended to us.

Your chronological argument is invalid.

You dismiss any efforts by this country to reform itself between its inception and the passage of the Civil Rights Act. You are too focused on the distant past.

There is a difference between "effort" and "results".

Yes, slavery ended and was replaced by Jim Crow. Yes, there are non black people demonstrating beside black people now, just as there were back in the 1960's.
I was here during that era, and was present at civil rights marches in the south and saw many courageous white people stand up for what is right.

At the same time, I also saw my own parents and grandparents have feces and urine thrown on them by just as many of those who wanted the institution of separate but UNEQUAL segregation and second class citizenship to stay in effect.

As long as there are those who subscribe to the belief system of inherent superiority based upon race, and there are those in power who directly or indirectly remain silent over that fact, there will be a segment of the population that will be marginalized, and until that changes, the country as a whole is not free of racism nor has it earned the designation of being non racist.

Yes. Will yours?
You're white and whites like you cant handle the truth. Our failures are due to things caused by white racism. Turn black and try living then tell me how it's not so. Your opinion is like a man telling a woman labor pains aren't real.
Black failure to integrate into society is due to themselves and the welfare system that coddles them. Blacks were steadily climbing the economic ladder until Johnson's great society programs were implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back