New Conservative Myth - Prayer not allowed in Schools

Mertex

Cat Lady =^..^=
Apr 27, 2013
Why are Republican Christians so adamant about perpetuating this myth? Political gain?

I received an e-mail from one of my Christian Republican friends with a video of some high-school kids claiming that the reason we have so many terrorist acts/shootings is because God was kicked out of the schools, public buildings and football games, when Prayer was taken out of the schools.

This is such a bald-face lie and wrong at so many levels.

Prayer was not taken out of the schools, public perfunctory prayer-time (moment of silence) was taken out of school. This was actually a good thing. Since the USA embraces people of so many religions, it would not be to my liking if Muslims, Buddhists, Shintoists, etc., demanded they be allowed to lead in a moment of silence....especially Muslims wanting every student to face east as a prayer is ushered to Allah several times a day.

There is no law preventing anyone, including children from praying, anytime, anywhere. If there is, please show me. If Christian Republicans are teaching their children that they cannot pray in schools, they are doing a disservice to their children as well as to their faith. They should instead be teaching their children, especially teens, that they need to pray, anywhere, anytime.

Also, God was not kicked out of schools, public buildings and football games. That's another bald face lie. True Christians know that when they accept Jesus, the Holy Spirit inhabits their spirit, so, as long as we have Christian children and Christian teachers in school, God (Holy Spirit) will be there also. So, how can they say God is no longer there? If God is not there, then there are no Christians there, either.

Romans 8:
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Also, why do conservative Christians relish this "public prayer" so much? Jesus was very clear in how we should pray.

Mathew 6
1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Last edited:
Atheists always whining about something they supposedly don't believe in.

Did you mean that those complaining that prayer has been taken out of schools are atheists? I would agree, except I happen to know some of them and they go to church.....or, did you find that you couldn't refute my thread, (no surprise there!). Why don't you put some muscle behind your gibberish, like facts?

Pray in school privately all day long. No problem. Lead an organized prayer service outloud with everyone there, whether they choose to be or not, problem. That's the right of a religious school, not a public one.

Where Faith Groups Stand…

Faith groups that support the First Amendment and oppose government-sponsored prayer in public schools include:

American Baptist Churches, USA
American Jewish Congress
Anti-Defamation League
Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs
Central Conference of American Rabbis
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Friends Committee on National Legislation (Quakers)
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
Mennonite Central Committee
National Council of Churches
National Council of Jewish Women
National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council
North American Council for Muslim Women
Presbyterian Church (USA)
Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association
Soka Gakkai International - U.S.A.
The Church of Christ, Scientist
The Episcopal Church, USA
The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
Union of American Hebrew Congregations
Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America
Unitarian Universalist Association
United Church of Christ
United Methodist Church
Women of Reform Judaism, The Federation of Temple Sisterhoods
Prayer And The Public Schools | Americans United

Political gain?

Exactly , it angers me when the politicians take on this "I am a christian" thing to suck up those votes.
Politicians praying on commercials, give me a break...People actually vote for them because of it.

Political gain?

Exactly , it angers me when the politicians take on this "I am a christian" thing to suck up those votes.
Politicians praying on commercials, give me a break...People actually vote for them because of it.
Worse, when they announce they are a Christian as if it was a qualification for public office.

Political gain?

Worse, when they announce they are a Christian as if it was a qualification for public office.

These lies happen on all political platforms but I found this to be the most disgusting ever, and it may apply on this thread. :cheeky-smiley-018:

Check out at 2:30

Last edited:
OMG" Leviticus calls for the death penalty for gays". The guy is screaming his head off!

"New Conservative Myth - Prayer not allowed in Schools"

Actually it's an old conservative myth, a ridiculous lie propagated for decades, that fails as a red herring fallacy.

The myth is the result of the failure of many conservatives to understand that the First Amendment concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private citizens.

Establishment Clause jurisprudence prohibiting conjoining church and state applies solely to government, in this case public schools, not teachers and students as private citizens acting in a non-governmental capacity; teachers and students are therefore at liberty to pray in public schools.

When teachers or school officials and administrators attempt to compel religious expression in an official capacity, or otherwise endorse, facilitate, or become excessively entangled in religious doctrine and dogma, then such acts violate the Framers' mandate that church and state remain separate, and are appropriately invalidated as being un-Constitutional by the courts, consistent with the First Amendment.

OMG" Leviticus calls for the death penalty for gays". The guy is screaming his head off!

I wonder why these same people don't obey Deuteronomy 21:21? If we were to do so, I'm sure many children would not be alive. They pick and choose verses from the Bible....specifically the Old Testament, which no longer applies to those who accept Jesus.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21King James Version (KJV)

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

I wonder why these same people don't obey Deuteronomy 21:21? If we were to do so, I'm sure many children would not be alive. They pick and choose verses from the Bible....specifically the Old Testament, which no longer applies to those who accept Jesus.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21King James Version (KJV)

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
Tough crowd...

Wrong.

What those free from faith believe in is separation of church and state, as originally intended by the Founding Generation and codified in the First Amendment.

And when those on the social right seek to violate Establishment Clause jurisprudence by conjoining church and state, persons free from faith believe in defending the rights of all Americans to believe as they see fit, in accordance with their own good conscience, free from unwarranted interference by government, and not being compelled to acknowledge religious dogma by government.

Wrong.

What those free from faith believe in is separation of church and state, as originally intended by the Founding Generation and codified in the First Amendment.

And when those on the social right seek to violate Establishment Clause jurisprudence by conjoining church and state, persons free from faith believe in defending the rights of all Americans to believe as they see fit, in accordance with their own good conscience, free from unwarranted interference by government, and not being compelled to acknowledge religious dogma by government.

Go post "composition fallacy" and then run away. Everyone is onto your stupid ass

Wrong.

Go post "composition fallacy" and then run away. Everyone is onto your stupid ass
The only one running away is you...I see you haven't attempted to refute my thread, but just continue to make meaningless drive-by comments......as usual.

I am not picking on you Sassy ~

I am a christian but I find when my faith is possibly used for the benefit of someone's presidential run, it bothers me..

Matthew chapter 6
Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them a otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.

Forum List

Back