No Evidence

I know what luminescence is....Tell me...do you think the IR emitted by your body is spontaneous? Or perhaps, do you think work has to be done in order for your body to emit said IR?

My body emits spontaneous black body radiation all the time... summer or winter. That is not luminance.

However chemical work is continually being done in my body. But I really think there is a lack of it being done in your brain.

Since you are such a dodge....I guess I have to put a fine point on my question...and then you will still dodge if you feel like the answer is in conflict with your beliefs.

"does the IR your body emits that is due to a temperature above the ambient temperature happen spontaneously, meaning..will it continue after you die, or does the warmth you emit result from work being done?

Me dodge? Your questions use physics terminology in bizarre ways and it's hard to tell what you think.

The heart, lungs, etc are always doing work while you are alive. So yes, the warmth your body emits results from the work in the sense that the warmth is a byproduct of the inefficiency of that work, ie, your metabolism. The radiation of that heat happens spontaneously. The moment you die, your heat still dissipates spontaneously and you loose thermal energy until you reach equilibrium.

You ask an EITHER/OR question, but both either and or are true.

The heart, lungs, etc are always doing work while you are alive. So yes, the warmth your body emits results from the work in the sense that the warmth is a byproduct of the inefficiency of that work, ie, your metabolism.

So you misspoke when you said that the radiation you emit is spontaneous..it is due to work having been done, therefore not spontaneous....ditto for radiation being emitted by any other living creature...whether it be IR or light.

You simply don't understand what the term means and therefore, the truth is beyond your comprehension....and since the truth would challenge your beliefs, you aren't likely to even try to understand where you went off the tracks.

The heart, lungs, etc are always doing work while you are alive. So yes, the warmth your body emits results from the work in the sense that the warmth is a byproduct of the inefficiency of that work, ie, your metabolism.

So you misspoke when you said that the radiation you emit is spontaneous..it is due to work having been done, therefore not spontaneous....ditto for radiation being emitted by any other living creature...whether it be IR or light.

You simply don't understand what the term means and therefore, the truth is beyond your comprehension....and since the truth would challenge your beliefs, you aren't likely to even try to understand where you went off the tracks.

Irony is ironic.

How do you define work? Physics defines it as a force moving through a distance. Your heart and lungs are doing that, but your skin is not doing work while it radiates. It is simply eliminating excess heat.

How do you define work? Physics defines it as a force moving through a distance. Your heart and lungs are doing that, but your skin is not doing work while it radiates. It is simply eliminating excess heat.

Do you believe your skin would have heat to radiate if there were not work going on in you body? And physics also defines chemical work that has little to do with physical movement...You would be room temperature and only emitting energy if your surroundings were cooler than yourself if there were not work going on to produce that energy.....therefore any energy your body emits that is at a frequency above the ambient of your surroundings is the result of work being done...and therefore it is not spontaneous.

Try using your brain for just a minute and ask if your skin is producing the energy it is radiating?

The work your body performs is not CREATED by heat.

But the heat your body emits is produced by work you blithering idiot..

But the heat your body emits is produced by work you blithering idiot.

Science 24 May 1963:
Vol. 140 no. 3569 pp. 870-877
DOI: 10.1126/science.140.3569.870

In a practical situation and room-temperature setting, humans lose considerable energy due to thermal radiation. However, the energy lost by emitting infrared light is partially regained by absorbing the heat flow due to conduction from surrounding objects, and the remainder resulting from generated heat through metabolism. Human skin has an emissivity of very close to 1.0 . Using the formulas below shows a human, having roughly 2 square meter in surface area, and a temperature of about 307 K, continuously radiates approximately 1000 watts. However, if people are indoors, surrounded by surfaces at 296 K, they receive back about 900 watts from the wall, ceiling, and other surroundings, so the net loss is only about 100 watts.

So is the heat emitted by the walls, ceiling and other surroundings in this 1963 article.

Do you believe your skin would have heat to radiate if there were not work going on in you body? And physics also defines chemical work that has little to do with physical movement...You would be room temperature and only emitting energy if your surroundings were cooler than yourself if there were not work going on to produce that energy.....therefore any energy your body emits that is at a frequency above the ambient of your surroundings is the result of work being done...and therefore it is not spontaneous.

Try using your brain for just a minute and ask if your skin is producing the energy it is radiating?

Try using your brain for just a minute and ask if the Sun's surface is producing the energy it is radiating?

This is the form of the second law you always quote:
It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.​

Since you say any radiation your skin emits is a result of work being done, then the human body can always radiate to a colder surround because of the work.

It would seem in your weird physics if a rock was warmed in a camp fire on a bitter cold day, the rock would radiate because chemical work is being done. As soon as the rock is removed from the fire it would stop radiating to the colder air because no work is being done on it.

How can a warm rock distinguish between being warmed and not being warmed? Your physics is pretty bizarre.

This is the form of the second law you always quote:
It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.​

Since you say any radiation your skin emits is a result of work being done, then the human body can always radiate to a colder surround because of the work.

It would seem in your weird physics if a rock was warmed in a camp fire on a bitter cold day, the rock would radiate because chemical work is being done. As soon as the rock is removed from the fire it would stop radiating to the colder air because no work is being done on it.

How can a warm rock distinguish between being warmed and not being warmed? Your physics is pretty bizarre.

I repeat...what is the frequency of energy radiating from a radioactive rock compared to the frequency of any energy in the IR band? Generally we are talking about IR...but if you think you can get around the second law by bringing in radioactive material, then we aren't talking about IR any more are we? There is no getting around the second law...ever in any fashion....try as you might, you can't do it...

This is a fine example of your tedium....

I repeat...what is the frequency of energy radiating from a radioactive rock compared to the frequency of any energy in the IR band? Generally we are talking about IR...but if you think you can get around the second law by bringing in radioactive material, then we aren't talking about IR any more are we? There is no getting around the second law...ever in any fashion....try as you might, you can't do it...

I think you are bored because you don't understand it. It doesn't matter whether it''s gamma emission, alpha emission, neutrinos or neutrons etc. Radioactivity from cold ore is an example of energy moving from a cold object to a warmer surround.

I think you are bored because you don't understand it. It doesn't matter whether it''s gamma emission, alpha emission, neutrinos or neutrons etc. Radioactivity from cold ore is an example of energy moving from a cold object to a warmer surround.

No..I am bored because we already went over this...again and again...you lost the point, moved on to some other topic which we also had been over and over, which you lost and moved on and this is just yet another repeat... Entropy..energy always moves from a more organized state to a less organized state...is the radiation your rock emitting more or less organized than it was while still contained within the rock...

Refer to the second law of thermodynamics and radioactive decay...tedious in the extreme.

Let me know when you have something new....otherwise, I am going to just refer you to the previous incarnations of this same old discussion.

Refer to the second law of thermodynamics and radioactive decay...tedious in the extreme.

Radioactive decay spontaneously releases organized energy into less organized energy. Therefore even if it comes from cold ore to a warmer substance radioactivity follows the entropy definition of the SLoT.

It is tedious for you because your brain is strained trying to understand why radiation is energy from cold to warm, yet also follows the SLoT. Physics is not boring unless you are snowed by it.

Radioactive decay spontaneously releases organized energy into less organized energy. Therefore even if it comes from cold ore to a warmer substance radioactivity follows the entropy definition of the SLoT.

It is tedious for you because your brain is strained trying to understand why radiation is energy from cold to warm, yet also follows the SLoT. Physics is not boring unless you are snowed by it.

Refer to the first 3 times you lost this point...I will no longer support you in your juvenile belief that if you keep recycling the same old lost points, that somehow the outcome of recycling them again will be different.

I will note how tragic it is for one to be so stupid that he thinks he can discuss radioactivity in the same terms as infrared.

Last edited:

Refer to the first 3 times you lost this point...I will no longer support you in your juvenile belief that if you keep recycling the same old lost points, that somehow the outcome of recycling them again will be different.

I will note how tragic it is for one to be so stupid that he thinks he can discuss radioactivity in the same terms as infrared.

Radioactive emission has nothing to do with IR. How can you be so stupid? The point is that it is a counterexample to your contention that no energy can move spontaneously from a cold object to a warmer surround.

However radioactive decay doesn't violate the 2nd law as defined by entropy because the internal state of the rock is less ordered after the emission. Don't you still believe in entropy?

Oh...the tedium...refer to any of the previous times you recycled the failed point.

Oh...the tedium...refer to any of the previous times you recycled the failed point.
Ha. Another non-answer. Just a lie. You always failed to answer. Now you are pretending tedium. That's one way of running and hiding from principles of physics.

Forum List

Back