Obama open to name change for Washington Redskins

Is that considered an Irish person or a mythical leprechaun?

Its typical of the basic irish sterotype of a fisty brawler, it even leans on the more simean portrayals of the irish from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

I'm 1/2 irish, and this doesnt offend me, although it is culled from various Irish sterotypes.

This is a good example of it.

Scientific_racism_irish.jpg

Funny how things make a little more sense when looking at past propaganda. Wow. I just read the caption. I cant believe they admitted Africans once populated Europe.

Last edited:

Its typical of the basic irish sterotype of a fisty brawler, it even leans on the more simean portrayals of the irish from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

I'm 1/2 irish, and this doesnt offend me, although it is culled from various Irish sterotypes.

Funny how things make a little more sense when looking at past propaganda.

To use the venacular, the Irish have always been seen as the "*******" of Europe.

Its no worse than this.

irish.gif

Do the Irish object to the ND mascot?

I guarantee you can find some who do, the thing is we ignore those people, as we should with the people bitching about the Redskins.

Its a sports team...just a game

If a team is offending a large portion of an ethnic group, why do it?

Native Americans feel a lot of what sports teams do, mock their culture. A tomahawk chop while you chant Woo...woo....wooo......woo
A racist cartoon of a grinning Indian
A racist term related to the color of their skin

It is easy to say, It doesn't offend me, so it shouldn't offend you

I was not aware that Barack Obama had a shareholder stake in the Washington Redskins, or the NFL...

Or that he controlled Fan Dollars in supporting a local team...

Ya learn sumfin' new every day...
tongue_smile.gif

Its no worse than this.

irish.gif

I guarantee you can find some who do, the thing is we ignore those people, as we should with the people bitching about the Redskins.

No need to ignore them if its offensive to them. If its no big deal then change the name. Doesnt cost the fan any money and earns the owner some good will. The imagery counts as it is the most powerful medium to convey social norms.

Last edited:

Native Americans feel a lot of what sports teams do, mock their culture. A tomahawk chop while you chant Woo...woo....wooo......woo

its actually from the red warpaint worn by certain Northeastern tribes, but don't let pesky things like facts get in the way of your bleeding liberal heart.

And according to most surveys, its only a small portion of an ethnic group that is offended.

And the chant is more oooohh oh oh.....ooooooohhhh. oh oh...

The reason not to do it is sooner or later everyone will be offended by everything, and when we start letting small groups of people who get butthurt over everything define the language, we lose the language.

No need to ignore them if its offensive to them. If its no big deal then change the name. Doesnt cost the fan any money and earns the owner some good will.

Its not earning goodwill, its caving to a small minority within a minority that gets butthurt when the sun rises.

This PC bullshit has to stop.

No need to ignore them if its offensive to them. If its no big deal then change the name. Doesnt cost the fan any money and earns the owner some good will.

Its not earning goodwill, its caving to a small minority within a minority that gets butthurt when the sun rises.

What do you mean by caving? It takes a man to give up that which he could care less for to another man that does cares for it. Otherwise you are acting like a kid that is bored with his GI Joe but doesn't want to let the other kid to play with it.

What do you mean by caving? It takes a man to give up that which he could care less for to another man that does cares for it. Otherwise you are acting like a kid that is bored with his GI Joe but doesn't want to let the other kid to play with it.

Why should the team change its name just because a few people are sensitive ninnys?

Alot of people care about the Redskins team name. A few people are butthurt over it. Why should the butthurt people's view hold sway?

And your comparison doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

As a baseball fan, I'll note that the "tomahawk chop" and that inane chant they do IS offensive. Not for anything racial or ethnic, just because they look so damn stupid doing it. Especially when you're on TV, where they play it up for drama.

Exactly twenty years ago when the Braves' string of playoff seasons was being interrupted at the climax of the NLCS, when it became obvious that the Phillies were about to win the series and send the Braves home losers, the local fans spontaneously started their own gesture, using the same "tomahawk" chant but with a different gesture using the arms and elbow -- an Italian idiom.

It was to die for. :lmao:

Last edited:

Can you post more source info on that graphic? I can't even read it.

I'm interested because I wonder if they're conflating the "Black Irish" population said to come from invasions of the Spanish Armada. That's part of my heritage.

TIA.

I don't why Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben changed their imagery on their packages....catering to a small whiney minority like that.

They still use the "Uncle Ben" character.

The Older Aunt Jemima ones, yeah those were pretty bad, but they didnt get rid of the character entirely.

And there is nothing offensive about the Redskin's logo, the indian used looks pretty badass.

Can you post more source info on that graphic? I can't even read it.

I'm interested because I wonder if they're conflating the "Black Irish" population said to come from invasions of the Spanish Armada. That's part of my heritage.

TIA.

Thats the best one I found via google. Googling again may find a better one.

Why should the team change its name just because a few people are sensitive ninnys?

Alot of people care about the Redskins team name. A few people are butthurt over it. Why should the butthurt people's view hold sway?

Because those ninnies are offended. What is it that is as pressing to the people who want the present name other than saying they won?

I fail to see what the fuss is about...

If the Washington Redskins changed their name there are plenty of other names available to them

The Cheap Jews
The Drunken Irishmen
The Greasy Italians
The Stupid Polocks

Because those ninnies are offended. What is it that is as pressing to the people who want the present name other than saying they won?

They get to keep thier favorite teams name?

I fail to see what the fuss is about...

If the Washington Redskins changed their name there are plenty of other names available to them

The Cheap Jews
The Drunken Irishmen
The Greasy Italians
The Stupid Polocks

Drunken irishmen is already taken. See the fighting irish guy.

and the proper term is "greeesey." try to get your stereotypes right.

Forum List

Back