Obama says he has the authority to kill civilians

The use of drones is not different than the use of Bombs against Dresden in WW II, Big Boy dropped on Hiroshima and Cruise Missiles used against Saddam's sons in Iraq - Collateral damage was the result. In fact Bush and Obama used more precise weapons and both did so in undeclared wars vis a vis FDR & Truman.

Presidents have to make difficult decisions and those made by a Commander-in-Chief are many times life and death ones. It is easy to be an armchair QB, I personally support the use of drones when used against the command and control leadership of those who have dedicated their life to killing Americans.

While I don't support Capital Punishment, per se, I have no problem with executing those who are not in custody and actively engaged in planning the death of our citizens.

Rule of law be damned. Planning the death of Americans? Can you back that up with any evidence. Lets talk about the 16 year old boy who was assassinated. Was he actively planning to kill americans?

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, the 16-year old, wasn't assassinated. His death was collateral damage, the intended target was Ibrahim al-Banna.

U.S. airstrike that killed American teen in Yemen raises legal, ethical questions - The Washington Post

>>>>

The use of drones is not different than the use of Bombs against Dresden in WW II, Big Boy dropped on Hiroshima and Cruise Missiles used against Saddam's sons in Iraq - Collateral damage was the result. In fact Bush and Obama used more precise weapons and both did so in undeclared wars vis a vis FDR & Truman.

Presidents have to make difficult decisions and those made by a Commander-in-Chief are many times life and death ones. It is easy to be an armchair QB, I personally support the use of drones when used against the command and control leadership of those who have dedicated their life to killing Americans.

While I don't support Capital Punishment, per se, I have no problem with executing those who are not in custody and actively engaged in planning the death of our citizens.

Rule of law be damned. Planning the death of Americans? Can you back that up with any evidence. Lets talk about the 16 year old boy who was assassinated. Was he actively planning to kill americans?

I don't know the details re a 16 year old boy. But, how about Kadafi's (sic?) infant daughter killed when Reagan ordered our planes attack Libya? You may consider thus an apples and oranges comparison, I don't unless much more detail is known.

I know this is like asking a snake to change its habits, but how about not being a hypocrite so often?

Of course you dont know the details. And bringing up republicans like Reagan with me is laughable. I dont wear your blue donkey or red elephant stripes. They are both guilty of extrajudicial punishment. You on the other hand, would probably be screaming bloody murder if we had an R in the white house making these arbitrary decisions about who gets assassinated as an American citizen.

Last edited:

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, the 16-year old, wasn't assassinated. His death was collateral damage, the intended target was Ibrahim al-Banna.

U.S. airstrike that killed American teen in Yemen raises legal, ethical questions - The Washington Post

>>>>

Oh, that makes it a lot better then. So the kid was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thank goodness! :rolleyes:

U.S. military teams, intelligence deeply involved in aiding Yemen on strikes

After the Sept. 11 attacks, Bush gave the CIA, and later the military, authority to kill U.S. citizens abroad if strong evidence existed that an American was involved in organizing or carrying out terrorist actions against the United States or U.S. interests, military and intelligence officials said. The evidence has to meet a certain, defined threshold. The person, for instance, has to pose "a continuing and imminent threat to U.S. persons and interests," said one former intelligence official.

why was it OK when Bush did it?

>>>>

Oh, that makes it a lot better then. So the kid was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thank goodness! :rolleyes:

Not saying it was OK, any unfortunate loss of life is regrettable.

What I did though is correct your inaccurate statement that he was assassinated, which was untrue as that would have require for him to be the target for the missile - which he wasn't.

>>>>

>>>>

What I did though is correct your inaccurate statement that he was assassinated, which was untrue as that would have require for him to be the target for the missile - which he wasn't.

>>>>

Semantics. Technically, by definition:

as·sas·si·nate (-ss-nt)
tr.v. as·sas·si·nat·ed, as·sas·si·nat·ing, as·sas·si·nates
1. To murder (a prominent person) by surprise attack, as for political reasons.
2. To destroy or injure treacherously: assassinate a rival's character.

And the loss is so unfortunate that officials have just kept quiet except to say (according to your own link):

Officials throughout the U.S. government, however, have refused to answer questions for the record about how or why Awlaki was killed Oct. 14 in a remote part of Yemen, along with eight other people.

But when U.S. forces kill civilians or operations go awry in traditional war zones such as Afghanistan or Iraq, the military routinely conducts official investigations. The results are often declassified and released as public records.

And

The official silence about the death of the American teenager contrasts with the Obama administration’s eagerness to trumpet another airstrike in Yemen two weeks earlier. In that case, armed drones controlled by the CIA killed the teen’s father, Anwar al-Awlaki, a dual Yemeni-American citizen who worked as a propagandist for al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

In the case of Awlaki’s son, however, U.S. officials have been willing to talk only on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.

Am I the only one who feels like this convo is extremely Orwellian?

Obama memo justifies drone-war killing of Americans | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Obama claims and orders that he has the authority to kill American civilians anywhere outside the Country any time he decides it is needed. All without Judicial, military or legal opinions actions or considerations.

His policy allows high level officials to simply say a person might be a threat and can not be captured, then with no consolation with the Military or Judiciary or Congress a drone attack to KILL that person can be ordered. A US Citizen, deprived of due process and all his Constitutional rights based solely on the Opinion of the President or high ranking officials.

Go ahead Obama supporters explain to us how this is legal or Constitutional. Show us you support the outright murder of anyone Obama feels like killing for just about any reason.,

If they are the enemy? You are damned right he does.

Are you suggesting that if DOJ lawyers say it's lawful, then it is in fact lawful and thats the end of it?

You're a professional psychopaths dream sycophant, Dainty.

I guess the invasion of Iraq was lawful too. Shit, our government can do whatever it wants!!!

WOOHOOO!

Retard.

>>>>

And the loss is so unfortunate that officials have just kept quiet except to say (according to your own link):

And

The official silence about the death of the American teenager contrasts with the Obama administration’s eagerness to trumpet another airstrike in Yemen two weeks earlier. In that case, armed drones controlled by the CIA killed the teen’s father, Anwar al-Awlaki, a dual Yemeni-American citizen who worked as a propagandist for al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

In the case of Awlaki’s son, however, U.S. officials have been willing to talk only on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.

Not to mention how the Administration tried to lie when it first happen and claim that Abdulrahman was a 21 year old "insurgent."

U.S. military teams, intelligence deeply involved in aiding Yemen on strikes

After the Sept. 11 attacks, Bush gave the CIA, and later the military, authority to kill U.S. citizens abroad if strong evidence existed that an American was involved in organizing or carrying out terrorist actions against the United States or U.S. interests, military and intelligence officials said. The evidence has to meet a certain, defined threshold. The person, for instance, has to pose "a continuing and imminent threat to U.S. persons and interests," said one former intelligence official.

why was it OK when Bush did it?

Clinton tortured innocent US citizens to death without trial before Bush.

>>>>

were US ships justified in shooting down 15 year old japanese kamakzis?

>>>>

And

Not to mention how the Administration tried to lie when it first happen and claim that Abdulrahman was a 21 year old "insurgent."

Links?

Posted by Ravi
Exactly. I tried to warn you idiots when Bush was given the power to deem anyone a terrorist. But did you listen? Of course not.

Dont go including me into your list of idiots...I like many was against the Patriot Act from its inception.

But dont blame Bush alone in this, also blame every single Congressman and Senator who voted in favor of it...they are just as much to blame as the man who signed it into law...and dont forget to blame Obama & the Congressman & the Senators who made a temporary law permanent.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back