Obama to send U.S. Troops to Moscow to March in Parade Celebrating Stalins Red Army.

Its all moot.

We had nukes at the end of the war and they didn't. Yes, we could have invaded, yes we could have won.
Then what?
Winning the peace is still harder. By 1945, the US was tired of war as was most of the world. Entering into a prolonged war with the Soviets would have cost a million soldiers for no benefit.
Compared to the Soviets, the US suffered little in WWII. Invading the USSR would have brought the suffering to the US and would not have been tolerated by a country tired of war

I don't disagree with that.

I am pointing out that the Soviets were not the world beaters a lot of people seem to think they are.

Had the US used Nukes and fought that war, its likely a new Russian civil war would have erupted, Ukraine would have declared its indepenance and the Soviets would have broken up, after millions of Soviets and former Soviet citizens fought it out.

But we would not have fought that war for the reasons I gave way back in this thread. And, no, we would not have won it if we had been foolish enough to try it.

Over the long run, we would not have won. The Soviets proved that they are tough mother f'ckers in WWII. They had a willingness to fight to the last man that the US would never match. Especially for a war of ideologies.
Once the US dead started to pile up, the homefront would not have tolerated the invasion

Patton was wrong

I am pointing out that the Soviets were not the world beaters a lot of people seem to think they are.

Had the US used Nukes and fought that war, its likely a new Russian civil war would have erupted, Ukraine would have declared its indepenance and the Soviets would have broken up, after millions of Soviets and former Soviet citizens fought it out.

But we would not have fought that war for the reasons I gave way back in this thread. And, no, we would not have won it if we had been foolish enough to try it.

Over the long run, we would not have won. The Soviets proved that they are tough mother f'ckers in WWII. They had a willingness to fight to the last man that the US would never match. Especially for a war of ideologies.
Once the US dead started to pile up, the homefront would not have tolerated the invasion

Patton was wrong
No , Patton was right. We should have invaded them. Also with the dropping of the atom bomb on the Japs we could have used that as a threat to them if they wouldn't comply. If after several attemps at getting them to surrender failed I would have at least nuked one of their cities to show we meant business so we could dictate terms to them and end the communist madness before it spread.

Patton was wrong
No , Patton was right. We should have invaded them. Also with the dropping of the atom bomb on the Japs we could have used that as a threat to them if they wouldn't comply. If after several attemps at getting them to surrender failed I would have at least nuked one of their cities to show we meant business so we could dictate terms to them and end the communist madness before it spread.

Of course you would have....but you are a blood thirsty insane person....along the lines of your hero, Hitler.

I don't think you understand, retired. We could not have done it that way. If we waited to attack the Russians until after Japan surrendered, the Russians would not have been in the least awe of us.

One, they knew we had no more nukes available for some time.

Two, they knew we had to garrison and rebuild western Europe and Japan.

Three, they had an entire summer to rearm, retrain, and reinforce their armies and air forces.

Fourth, to prepare an invasion to the east would have required massive planning in terms of time and resources that we did not have. The Normandy landings took two years of planning, and we still almost did not get it right.

[No , Patton was right. We should have invaded them. Also with the dropping of the atom bomb on the Japs we could have used that as a threat to them if they wouldn't comply. If after several attemps at getting them to surrender failed I would have at least nuked one of their cities to show we meant business so we could dictate terms to them and end the communist madness before it spread.

And what good would that have served us, compared to what did happen?

Patton was wrong

Thank god you no longer represent our country

All of these what if..scenarios, my head is swimming. Oh well the Soviet Union fell and lost the cold war...having had potato soup 3 times a day for years, the youth became fed up and now their hot women live among us here in the states, now this is what really matters.

These guys that made a Dresden slaughterhouse and barbarous inhumanity of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as an act of demonstration of power, mainly for the Soviet Union was supposed to give Americans the opportunity to dictate their own terms with the postwar redistribution of the world.

Military and economic assistance of the USSR 1941-1945 Britain and the United States, accounted for only about 4%, and overall contribution to the victory in WW2 was about 16%.

Patton was wrong
In the long run the USA would have won compeletly, with massive Soviet dead and the Soviet union laid waste.

This was the WWII era, not the post war UN era.

These guys that made a Dresden slaughterhouse and barbarous inhumanity of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki,

Tell us all about barbarous inhumanity.

Russia has ignored a series of judgments by the European Court of Human Rights on Chechnya, fueling unchecked violence in the North Caucasus, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Following the recent murders of human rights defenders there, the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly will decide on September 28, 2009 whether to schedule a debate to focus on the dangerous conditions for human rights defenders in the North Caucasus.

The 38-page report, "‘Who Will Tell Me What Happened to My Son?': Russia's Implementation of European Court of Human Rights Judgments on Chechnya," examines Russia's response to European Court judgments on cases from Chechnya. In almost all of the 115 rulings, the court concluded that Russia was responsible for extrajudicial executions, torture, and enforced disappearances, and that it had failed to investigate these crimes. In the 33 cases researched by Human Rights Watch, Russia has still not brought a single perpetrator to justice, even in cases in which those who participated in or commanded the operations that led to violations are named in the European Court judgments.

Russia: Complying With European Court Key to Halting Abuse | Human Rights Watch
pic2.jpg

Patton was wrong
In the long run the USA would have won compeletly, with massive Soviet dead and the Soviet union laid waste.

No, it would not have been fought to the bitter end. It already had been against the fascists and was being finished against the Japanese militarists. Patton was wrong, Truman and Eisenhower were right, and the world moved along.

Patton was wrong

No, it would not have been fought to the bitter end. It already had been against the fascists and was being finished against the Japanese militarists. Patton was wrong, Truman and Eisenhower were right, and the world moved along.

The Soviets would have been fighting for Mother Russia while the US would have been fighting over ideology. The Russians had already lost 30 million people and already showed a willingness to fight to the death. If the US lost another 100,000 soldiers we would have packed up and gone home as the war had no benefit for the US

Patton was a fool

Invading the Soviet Union would have been a massive, massive mistake. How does anyone think the West, let alone the US by itself, could have held down the Soviets when contemporary Western forces can't even quell Iraq properly? You'd have to be delusional to think the Soviet Union could have been invaded and occupied by the West.

Why do people still actually believe that America won WWII by itself? Is it ignorance or lying to yourself?

Russia was the country that lifted the heavy burden in WWII.

People are once again getting thier panty's in a wad over nothing.

No, it would not have been fought to the bitter end. It already had been against the fascists and was being finished against the Japanese mstrategic planning.ilitarists. Patton was wrong, Truman and Eisenhower were right, and the world moved along.

The Soviets would have been fighting for Mother Russia while the US would have been fighting over ideology. The Russians had already lost 30 million people and already showed a willingness to fight to the death. If the US lost another 100,000 soldiers we would have packed up and gone home as the war had no benefit for the US

Patton was a fool

Lol...everyone is a Monday morning quarterback. He wasn't a fool, he was a brilliant tactician, just had no strategic patience. This is why we have echeloned senior combatant commanders now.

No, it would not have been fought to the bitter end. It already had been against the fascists and was being finished against the Japanese mstrategic planning.ilitarists. Patton was wrong, Truman and Eisenhower were right, and the world moved along.

Patton was a fool

Lol...everyone is a Monday morning quarterback. He wasn't a fool, he was a brilliant tactician, just had no strategic patience. This is why we have echeloned senior combatant commanders now.

Patton was a fool for advocating we attack the Soviets. By any political, military or tactical means....it made no sense

I actually think it kind of cool. I do think they should make a point that VE day is May 7th.

May 9 was just Stalin being a jerk ass making them surrender all over again.

But May 9th for the Russians is a Very Big Deal. I just wish it (May 7) were a big deal here as well. Official VJ day is in Sept I think, but end of fighting was August 14? I should know this.

I actually think it kind of cool. I do think they should make a point that VE day is May 7th.

May 9 was just Stalin being a jerk ass making them surrender all over again.

But May 9th for the Russians is a Very Big Deal. I just wish it (May 7) were a big deal here as well. Official VJ day is in Sept I think, but end of fighting was August 14? I should know this.

VJ is in August. My state is the only one who still celebrates it. It's August 14th.

Patton was a fool

Patton was a fool for advocating we attack the Soviets. By any political, military or tactical means....it made no sense

He had no strategic patience; his choice to attack the Soviets was a foolish one. Broad generalizations make your claim sound juvenile.

Forum List

Back