🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obama: Vietnam Leader Ho Chi Minh Was Inspired by Founding Fathers

Ho Chi Minh was inspired by the US founding fathers. They both led independence movements.

Why is this a "scandal" ?

If US troops suffered at the hands of Ho Chi Minh's soldiers, IT'S BECAUSE THE US TROOPS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE.

Scandal is one word: COMMUNISM.

Simple. He was on the wrong side.

Ho Chi Minh was more for Vietnamese independence from French rule than communism. The communism was just to get Russian & Chinese support, which worked And they defeated and humiliated the US, which should have learned its lesson then, but had to relearn it in Iraq: Mind yer bidness, bully.

The right wing is now whining about doing nothing in Syria. IMO, were finally getting the policy right: We're staying out of it.

I'm sorry that Vietnam Vets suffered and died. The bullying US leadership is to blame for that, not the Vietnamese.

Any look at Vietnam today, and its clear that they weren't really communists. Ford Motors has a factory there, for crying out loud.

Ho Chi Minh was inspired by the US founding fathers. They both led independence movements.

Why is this a "scandal" ?

If US troops suffered at the hands of Ho Chi Minh's soldiers, IT'S BECAUSE THE US TROOPS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE.

Ho Chi Minh was more for Vietnamese independence from French rule than communism. The communism was just to get Russian & Chinese support, which worked And they defeated and humiliated the US, which should have learned its lesson then, but had to relearn it in Iraq: Mind yer bidness, bully.

The right wing is now whining about doing nothing in Syria. IMO, were finally getting the policy right: We're staying out of it.

I'm sorry that Vietnam Vets suffered and died. The bullying US leadership is to blame for that, not the Vietnamese.

Any look at Vietnam today, and its clear that they weren't really communists. Ford Motors has a factory there, for crying out loud.
Since the fall of Communist Russia? Duh...Russia has factories too...DUH...they learn from the err of their past ways, don't they?

As to Russia? One word...Putin...die hard Communist...

I digress back to Vietnam...at that time? They were mislead...Minh did what all Communists do...silence opposition, and murder.

Can't deny it. History shows it.

Since the fall of Communist Russia? Duh...Russia has factories too...DUH...they learn from the err of their past ways, don't they?

I digress back to Vietnam...at that time? They were mislead...Minh did what all Communists do...silence opposition, and murder.

History shows that Obama was right when pointing out the Ho Chi Minh was inspired by the US founding fathers. Minh wrote about this inspiration in a letter to Eisenhower. It's beyond dispute. Why is it controversial to point it out?

Man, you right wingers' unhinged rants and nonsense are at mouth-frothing fever pitch.

This is insanity. Is Obama that ignorant or just that determined to kiss the butts of dictators?

I thought Obama studied the constitution. How did he see it as a thumbs up to dictatorship?

Stirewalt believes that the comments were either a gaffe and that the president didn't know about the atrocities committed by Ho Chi Minh or that he was being "morally flexible" to make his guest feel at home.

Obama: Vietnam Leader Ho Chi Minh Was Inspired by Founding Fathers

Read more: President Obama Says That Vietnam?s Communist Dictator Ho Chi Minh Was Inspired by Founding Fathers | Fox News Insider

Uhhh ... except Ho Chi Minh was inspired by the founding fathers. You only have to read the first few lines of the Proclamation of Independence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proclamation_of_Independence_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_Vietnam
The compatriots of the entire country,

All men are created equal; they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights; among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
This immortal statement was made in the Declaration of Independence of the United States of America in 1776. In a broader sense, this means: All the peoples on the earth are equal from birth, all the peoples have a right to live, to be happy and free.

Its pretty obvious to anyone that can read that the speech was inspired by the U.S. Declaration of Independence. It pretty much explicitly states that, in fact.

The Vietnamese were fighting for independence from rule by a foreign power that gave them no voice in that foreign government. Does that sound familiar to you? I'm very sorry you got your wittle feewings stepped on that they were inspired by our Revolution.

What the fuck is wrong with you idiot teabaggers that you think its offensive for someone to mention historical fact that you don't like? Go fucking shoot some cans and rope some goats - thinking isn't something you do well.

Last edited:
Ho Chi Minh modeled the Vietnamese Declaration of Independence he pinned on the American model. Of course that was back in 1945 before the French we're given back it's former colonies.

SHHHHH!!!! That's history. Teabaggers find history offensive. They think it means you hate America and love communism and hitler if you talk about it. So please keep your historical facts to yourself. We wouldn't want a teabagger's head to explode.

Hey did any of you know that Yassar Arafat was inspired by Tom and Jerry cartoons? Did I just offend Warner Bros. by making that statement of historical fact?

Read the "Survivalist" post about hearts and minds in this thread. You don't want to look at what the communists did to the Vietnamese people. You don't want to admit that Ho was a butcher and a madman. You don't want to know he slaughtered half a million with "hearts and minds" enough to fight like tigers against his kind. I lived amongst the Bahnar tribesmen and know the stories. I saw their prison camps. I saw the body parts they left behind as warnings to those who resisted them, and I was fortunate enough to send several of them to their graves.....educate yourself for a change instead of swallowing what you're fed from those who hate the USA....particularly the muslim moron in the WH....what he said about Ho Chi Minh is even more offensive than bowing to the jap emperor.....there is no honor with him...no dignity.

You went there. You got your ass kicked. Get over it.

Not a very respectful way to address a Vietnam veteran.

just because he stole or paraphrased from a document means squat absent any tangible usage and or application of the platforms, axioms expressed there in, it was an idiotic and inane comparison, to the max.

Yeah its not like he fought in a war to end rule by a foreign power which gave the people in the colonies no voice in its government.

NEWSFLASH -

Practically every single overthrowing of a foreign oppressor that has happened since the American Revolution was inspired by the American Revolution. You'd think Americans would be honored by this fact - but instead they are offended by it. That's fucked.

I am seriously beginning to question the comprehension skills of a lot of people on this forum.

Are all of you so 'knee jerk' that anything Obama says is immediately attacked without taking a micro second to stop and think about what IS being said, NOT what you think he'll say?

I have every reason to dislike Obama, but come on people. It is a historical fact that Minh admired the US and its Constitution. Simply because he made poor choices in accepting help from Russia and China, and then became a brutal murderer does not reflect upon us, or Obama.

If Obama had said that he admired the career and methods of Minh, then we all would have issue.

Stop arguing simply for the sake of disagreement. If you can't do that, seek help.

But he turned into a murderer with his admiration...as it did with Pol Pot...History bears this out my friend...that is why the outrage by some regarding the O's comments and the comparison. The O is touting a murderer and likening him to our own Founders...there is no comparison...it's what you do with liberty that counts, Minh can roast in Hell.
Here is the problem. He was not likening them to our founding fathers. He was specifically addressing Minh's perception of America and our founding fathers. Yes, Minh turned into a brutal and savage killer of his own people. His evil has rarely been duplicated (thank the lord) and cannot be ignored.

However, it does not change the fact that prior to his going bat shit crazy and one of the worlds most brutal killers, he reached out to the United States because he admired our form of government.

In the end, that does not reflect upon us. It is just a historical fact.

the problem here is he did not qualify that within his remarks. If so. it could have been seen differently. If he truly felt he needed to even mention Minh, then he should have added how his later views were anything but like the US founders, due to the atrocities incurred by him. Just my take on it.

But he turned into a murderer with his admiration...as it did with Pol Pot...History bears this out my friend...that is why the outrage by some regarding the O's comments and the comparison. The O is touting a murderer and likening him to our own Founders...there is no comparison...it's what you do with liberty that counts, Minh can roast in Hell.
Here is the problem. He was not likening them to our founding fathers. He was specifically addressing Minh's perception of America and our founding fathers. Yes, Minh turned into a brutal and savage killer of his own people. His evil has rarely been duplicated (thank the lord) and cannot be ignored.

However, it does not change the fact that prior to his going bat shit crazy and one of the worlds most brutal killers, he reached out to the United States because he admired our form of government.

the problem here is he did not qualify that within his remarks. If so. it could have been seen differently. If he truly felt he needed to even mention Minh, then he should have added how his later views were anything but like the US founders, due to the atrocities incurred by him. Just my take on it.

All he said was they discussed it.
And why should he add a parting shot afterwards? We have been trying to improve our trade relations with Vietnam, not piss them off.

All he said was they discussed it.
And why should he add a parting shot afterwards? We have been trying to improve our trade relations with Vietnam, not piss them off.

No, he did not just say they discussed Ho Chi Mihn. He stated

At the conclusion of the meeting, President Sang shared with me a copy of a letter sent by Ho Chi Minh to Harry Truman. And we discussed the fact that Ho Chi Minh was actually inspired by the U.S. Declaration of Independence and Constitution, and the words of Thomas Jefferson. Ho Chi Minh talks about his interest in cooperation with the United States. And President Sang indicated that even if it's 67 years later, it's good that we're still making progress.
Why he could not state that through different times Vietnam has wished for cooperation between themselves and the United STates, rather than bringing all the other crap in to it, is beyond me. Very easily he could have kept the other out of the remarks he made.

Reminds me of Kerry and his inappropriate actions with Vietnam.

History shows that Obama was right when pointing out the Ho Chi Minh was inspired by the US founding fathers. Minh wrote about this inspiration in a letter to Eisenhower. It's beyond dispute. Why is it controversial to point it out?

Man, you right wingers' unhinged rants and nonsense are at mouth-frothing fever pitch.
And again...it's what one does with the librerty they persue. How many times do I have to point out Minh went down the wrong road regarding the liberty he sought? And thus why the comparison is invalid. Maybe Obama and YOU aren't as smart as you figured, eh?

And again...it's what one does with the librerty they persue. How many times do I have to point out Minh went down the wrong road regarding the liberty he sought? And thus why the comparison is invalid. Maybe Obama and YOU aren't as smart as you figured, eh?

We were the ones that went down the wrong road by getting all up in Vietnam's business. We should have left them alone. If we had, then Minh may have chosen to be more conciliatory to his enemies. I believe he would have.

We were the ones that went down the wrong road by getting all up in Vietnam's business. We should have left them alone. If we had, then Minh may have chosen to be more conciliatory to his enemies. I believe he would have.
WE went at the behest of the South Viet Namese that were afraid of being overrun. And when do WE turn down pleas from others to assist with them keeping their freedom?

Do you often turn your back on others when they seek liberty?

I've already addressed that.

its not an issue becasue you apparently don't apply much of a yardstick to the inane ramblings of our gov. officials. I posted commentary becasue it was imho, inane and frankly dumb.....I'll give you another example I spoke to in the same vein at the time;

Obama: “China is making investments in the future, they’re making investments in clean energy, they’re making investments in infrastructure…we used to have the best infrastructure in the world…had the best roads, the best airports, the best ports, the best highways, the best internet service, now we’re second, we’re third, we’re fifteenth, we’re twenty-first, we can’t win that way…listen Abraham Lincoln helped to build the intercontinental railroad in the middle of the Civil War...”

or;

"Right now China is building hundreds of thousands of miles of new roads. Over the next 10 years it plans to build dozens of new airports. Over the next 20 it could build as many as 170 new mass transit systems. Everywhere else they are thinking big, they are creating jobs today, but they are also planning to win tomorrow," said President Obama.

now thats fine as it goes, we need to bulk up infrastructure, I have no issue with that, but, why on earth mention china as some comparative value? they employ their own special brand of savage central planning and mgt. that doesn't recognize property rights, the rule of law as it applies re; wage and worker protection practices, has a complete disregard for the environment etc. ...china may think they are being fair, or give lip service to employing say, eminent domain, but please, theres no equivalence to how we employ same what so ever..... It was an inane comparison or benchmark and I feel same here, there is no equivalence, or connection between Ho's words and Jeffersonian principals etc. other than hot air and some document he posted those words upon..........*shrugs*
Why are we bringing up China now?
I said-

its not an issue becasue you apparently don't apply much of a yardstick to the inane ramblings of our gov. officials. I posted commentary becasue it was imho, inane and frankly dumb.....I'll give you another example I spoke to in the same vein at the time;

They discussed Ho Chi Minh, and having to be diplomatic Obama mentioned what they discussed. It's called being polite to foreign leaders. That is what Presidents do.
No matter what other examples you or QW mention it doesn't change that. QW can try to make up what I said, argue that the French were not apart of the August Revolution, or that Ho was more like Stalin. That all does not matter.
The President of Vietnam discussed how Ho was inspired by Jefferson and Obama mentioned they discussed it.

your idea of being 'polite' obviously differs from mine, I can think of a dozen things he could have said......imho, this was another example ala the Chinese one I posted where in I think he makes off kilter remarks that really, have very very little value or equivalence with the facts as they are borne out.....

Do you have a problem with diplomacy? Or should we just be assholes to everyone we trade with?

I think you could use a nice cold Fresca.....:cool:

be that as it may, he had that opportunity, he didn't and before we 'got there'......

He was in fact a stone cold communist from the late 20's and ......

actually the clear majority of ranting I see is from folks who don't appear to like the fact that some of us feel differently than they do on this issue...:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back