Obama's Best Words

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I know there are a lot of threads on the eulogies given at McCain's funeral yesterday, but I don't want this to start out in a thread where the OP is bashing Obama, at least. So I hope you understand me adding one more.

I listened to his whole remarks, and I thought a couple things:

- He kept the Trump bashing to a minimum--and actually the brief sally into "political discourse nowadays" was words that could apply to both sides of the argument.
- From Obama's perspective, McCain was no RINO. lol

And then, my absolute favorite part:

We would talk about policy and we'd talk about family and we'd talk about the state of our politics. And our disagreements didn't go away during these private conversations. Those were real and they were often deep. but we enjoyed the time we shared away from the bright lights and we laughed with each other and we learned from each other and we never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team. For all of our differences, we shared a fidelity to the ideals for which generations of Americans have marched and fought and sacrificed and given their lives.

And that, folks, is what it is supposed to be about. A Democratic Republic is essentially one concept on how the country is structured and led. For all the talk of making America great again, are we missing the "America" part altogether? Although we can disagree on policy or who our favorite leader-to-be is, the idea that we are ultimately in the same boat, keeping our ship in the channel together, is a crucial one.

That's all.

Worst President of all time, elected by the stupidest people of all time

upload_2018-9-2_8-19-54.jpeg

I know there are a lot of threads on the eulogies given at McCain's funeral yesterday, but I don't want this to start out in a thread where the OP is bashing Obama, at least. So I hope you understand me adding one more.

- He kept the Trump bashing to a minimum--and actually the brief sally into "political discourse nowadays" was words that could apply to both sides of the argument.

We would talk about policy and we'd talk about family and we'd talk about the state of our politics. And our disagreements didn't go away during these private conversations. Those were real and they were often deep. but we enjoyed the time we shared away from the bright lights and we laughed with each other and we learned from each other and we never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team. For all of our differences, we shared a fidelity to the ideals for which generations of Americans have marched and fought and sacrificed and given their lives.

And that, folks, is what it is supposed to be about. A Democratic Republic is essentially one concept on how the country is structured and led. For all the talk of making America great again, are we missing the "America" part altogether? Although we can disagree on policy or who our favorite leader-to-be is, the idea that we are ultimately in the same boat, keeping our ship in the channel together, is a crucial one.

That's all.

Talk works pretty damn well as long as saying things is what you want to accomplish. Otherwise, it's just talk, but I'm glad you could find comfort in it.

When obongo said we were all on the same team

he wasn’t talking about America……………….

mcstain was a snake in the grass…..

He screwed over the people that supported him….

That's all.
But we aren’t on the same team! Your team has publicly declared themselves as the opposition team. So while your words are noble your actions.........not so much.

That's all.

Talk works pretty damn well as long as saying things is what you want to accomplish. Otherwise, it's just talk, but I'm glad you could find comfort in it.
That's more like a Zen koan.
I don't know that I found comfort in it. It was a reminder. I wonder how many people heard it?

That's all.

Nope.
Sad to say in today's thinking cooperation = only when you agree with me.
And Obama certainly epitomized that statement. He regularly painted anyone who disagreed with him as "something wrong with them".
He was a divider.

That's all.
But we aren’t on the same team! Your team has publicly declared themselves as the opposition team. So while your words are noble your actions.........not so much.
I don't have a "team." But if I did, the fact that you and I disagree should not mean that we forget we are all in favor of a functioning democracy that allows us to choose our course.

Also I know there are 1000 threads on the McCain service, my 2 cents is it just once again showed who McCain is. And that is someone who for many years hid his true politics to remain in office. He was also a very divisive, and mean spirited. Always was.

That's all.
I don't have a "team." But if I did, the fact that you and I disagree should not mean that we forget we are all in favor of a functioning democracy that allows us to choose our course.

I concur 100%.
But that is not how America operates today.
You are either with me 100% or against me. That is the political motto of this decade. It was by design, and it is working flawlessly.
Welcome to the American Plutocratic Corporatocracy.

That's all.

Nope.
And Obama certainly epitomized that statement. He regularly painted anyone who disagreed with him as "something wrong with them".
He was a divider.
We all have the strength of our convictions. So did McCain. So do you. So do I. I don't remember Obama saying that, but I didn't follow politics very closely then. To me, he wasn't a divider except in that he enacted policies and stood up for convictions that Republicans didn't share. So they are now saying "There was something wrong with him."

That's all.

I concur 100%.
But that is not how America operates today.
You are either with me 100% or against me. That is the political motto of this decade. It was by design, and it is working flawlessly.
Welcome to the American Plutocratic Corporatocracy.
We are the ones who choose it to be that way. No one can choose our decisions and actions for us. Not in this place.

Think about it. I think that is what Obama was trying to say. He mentioned McCain's favorite saying by Hemingway, "Today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today."

That's all.

Nope.
He was a divider.
We all have the strength of our convictions. So did McCain. So do you. So do I. I don't remember Obama saying that, but I didn't follow politics very closely then. To me, he wasn't a divider except in that he enacted policies and stood up for convictions that Republicans didn't share. So they are now saying "There was something wrong with him."

That's not me.
Obama was a bad President IMO because he was/is a globalist, an elitist and a corporatist. It is way,way beyond me how ANY liberal could possibly believe othewise. During his presidency the rich got richer at a rate never seen before. He misused the TARP funds grossly to enrich a very select few. Not in modern times was there a President who was a greater friend to the investor class as Barrack Obama. Not even close.

Forum List

Back