[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

In the OKIE Po-Po thread It appears that one of my posts shows up as winterbornes?

Does that make sense or am I seeing things?

EDIT:
and now I don't even see the thread anymore....
I do NOT drink..

In the OKIE Po-Po thread It appears that one of my posts shows up as winterbornes?

EDIT:
I do NOT drink..
flacaltenn fixed it. winetrborne seems to have inadvertently messed up the quotes.

EDIT:
I do NOT drink..
flacaltenn fixed it. winetrborne seems to have inadvertently messed up the quotes.

Yes, I see that. Thanks. Sorry for my confusion.

When doing a mouse roll-over on a thread title, it's nice how the little window pops up. Butt (and that's a big butt), if the thread title is near the top of a page you can't see the pop-up box because it's off the page. Is the software not designed to recognize this and open the window BELOW the thread title? :dunno:

Hey CK, since I can't respond to your post in the Gold/Silver member thread, I have a question I would have already paid my $15 for my Silver member status (I got the bumper sticker about six months ago) so if I wanted to become a Gold member, does this mean I only have to pay another $10, and then when it comes time to renew my member status, pay the full $25?

There's a difference between bugs and unpleasant functionality.

Quotes are working as intended (not a bug), but layering to the nth degree has the unintended consequence of jacking up small screens.

...and large screens alike. Nesting of more than 2-4 quotes becomes rather annoying. Especially with the already decreased main body width due to the sidebar. Add on top of that when some people find the need to write an entire novel which the next five people find worthy to quote. :lol:

Also, why does the quote box have to be so narrow? Some vertical page space could be saved by making the quote box wider. Just a thought.

...I do like the absence of a publicly visible editing notation in edited posts, though. :thup:
If you mean the small note at the bottom that used to say "Last Edited by..." and the editor and date/time.

If liked that feature. Kept people honest. Without it people can go back and change their posts and say "Hey, I never said that..." and ya there have been people that have done that. With the edit stamp they were busted.

Yeah, to each their own.

The OCD perfectionist in me really hated seeing that little sign of imperfection in my own posts.

I'll go ahead and concede that your reasoning on the matter is far more rational than mine, for what it's worth. :redface:

Actually I think we have the best of both worlds here. You have a limited amount of time to correct that misspelled word or fix the awkward syntax or otherwise fix a flawed post--I'm guessing maybe 60 seconds--without having to show the post was edited. After that it WILL show up with the 'edited' notation. And after I believe C_K said 90 minutes, the ability to edit goes away entirely.

Was trying to read a thread this morning where stat and bugger were replying to each other and the nested quotes went on forever and looked pretty much like this:

n
o
Y
o
a
r
a
b
I
g
F
a
t
p
o
o
p
y
h
E
A
d
n
o
Y
o
U

For pages and pages on my ipad. Got so tired of scrolling I decided I didn't need to go running.

Gave up on the bless you thread.

Was trying to read a thread this morning where stat and bugger were replying to each other and the nested quotes went on forever and looked pretty much like this:

n
o
Y
o
a
r
a
b
I
g
F
a
t
p
o
o
p
y
h
E
A
d
n
o
Y
o
U

For pages and pages on my ipad. Got so tired of scrolling I decided I didn't need to go running.

Tsk, tsk, you poor thing, you. I hope no permanent damage ensued.

@cereal_killer

Might wanna buy some additional bandwidth for the site. Noticing a huge increase in how long it takes to display a full thread of replies I watched my connection speed. Out of about 600KB/sec down max (4800Kb/sec) at 6am presumedly low-usage time of day the max rate was a burst of 1200Mb/sec. This resulted in a full page (30 replies) taking 48s to display. And that was a very fast loadtime relative to the new interface. But it was still no where near my max possible and I'm just on DSL.

Better hosting site, or more bandwidith is probably going to become a necessity as this interface is profoundly slower than vBulletin.

Bells and whistles are great. But first and foremost this is a discussion site. The primary functions being reading posts, replying to posts. You need to take a lesson from computer game design: framerate, framerate, framerate. If bells and whistles cause triple the load time, ditch them.

@cereal_killer

Might wanna buy some additional bandwidth for the site. Noticing a huge increase in how long it takes to display a full thread of replies I watched my connection speed. Out of about 600KB/sec down max (4800Kb/sec) at 6am presumedly low-usage time of day the max rate was a burst of 1200Mb/sec. This resulted in a full page (30 replies) taking 48s to display. And that was a very fast loadtime relative to the new interface. But it was still no where near my max possible and I'm just on DSL.

Better hosting site, or more bandwidith is probably going to become a necessity as this interface is profoundly slower than vBulletin.

Bells and whistles are great. But first and foremost this is a discussion site. The primary functions being reading posts, replying to posts. You need to take a lesson from computer game design: framerate, framerate, framerate. If bells and whistles cause triple the load time, ditch them.

Now, that is amazing, for over here on the other side of the big drip, the site is running decidedly faster.

I just don't get what is tripping some people up.

Maybe I am misinterpreting things, but it seems to me admin has fixed the nested quote problem? If I am seeing that correctly, KUDOS to the tech team because that is definitely a reasonable compromise. Surely if the nesting goes on so long it redevelops the problem, we all are smart enough to cut out sufficient content for context purposes and start a new string? But if it is working like I think it is working I'm a happy camper about that.

Now some additional things on my wish list for future tech projects--maybe for a rainy day when you're all bored? :):

1. I would like some way to easily access my most current threads as the old UserCP feature allowed me to do. UNREAD WATCHED THREADS doesn't do it because if I use it to access say the Coffee Shop, read the content, and then return to make a post, the Coffee Shop is no longer listed in the unread watched threads until somebody posts there. YOUR CONTENT doesn't do it on the profile page because all posts are shown there and you might have to scroll a long way to find one in the thread you want to visit.

2. I would like the members currently on line to be shown in text instead of avatars. The avatars are too small to be useful even if you know what to look for, and having to hover over each one to find somebody is irritating and too time consuming.

3. I would like today's birthdays listed on the home page as they were before. We try to celebrate those and no longer have any way to find out who is having one.

Out of curiosity, it seems active threads in the Flame Zone are showing up in active topics but threads in the Lounge are not? Is that a marketing strategy?

Time limit to edit your posts goes from ninety (90) minutes to five (5) hours!

this is not the case - went back to edit a post after about an hour and no option was available .... or even to just delete it.

as an observation, this still is not working - the 5 hours ... maybe even the 90 minutes ?

also, is it possible to have the "PREVIEW" tab in the first window as before without first having to click "more options" ?

n
o
Y
o
a
r
a
b
I
g
F
a
t
p
o
o
p
y
h
E
A
d
n
o
Y
o
U

That's because they apparently don't have the common courtesy to clean them up before hitting post.

Forum List

Back