[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

How can I block all the adds and stop being redirected to other forums? I use programs like AddBlocker but they have to work so hard on this site it slows the page down; sometimes I even have to wait for my typing to apper.

How do I make all that nonsense stop?
I use Chrome on Windows 7, Norton Security Suite, and the free version of AdBlock. I rarely see any ads on the this website. I don't have much problem with adware or any other malware.

The problems caused by malware comes mostly from downloading infected software. I never install anything on this computer that hasn't come from a reputable source. Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.

How can I block all the adds and stop being redirected to other forums? I use programs like AddBlocker but they have to work so hard on this site it slows the page down; sometimes I even have to wait for my typing to apper.

How do I make all that nonsense stop?

I have the same problem and I'm not going to get rid of my firewall or that. I don't use paypal , is it worth sending in money for a subscription to stop these ads?

What ads? ;)

I guess I'd best be sending in money then if you do not see the ads. My computer runs constantly on this site, no other.

I also use Adblocker and between that and the paid membership I never see any ads in this forum.

I did and it works, how nice. Thank you.

You are welcome! :D

Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
That's all I install. But I'm using Linux. It's better than Windows! (unless you're a gamer)
Is Linux fully compatible with Windows applications?
No. It is also extremely difficult to use if you are a plug and play type of PC user - Linux requires a certain understanding of how and why computers operate.

I use Chrome on Windows 7, Norton Security Suite, and the free version of AdBlock. I rarely see any ads on the this website. I don't have much problem with adware or any other malware.
I use a recently factory-reset computer with Chrome on Windows 8.1 with AdBlockPluse, Disconnect and Ghostery. These have blocked most of the adds but this website is super slow. It takes 30 seconds to load a page and the refresh rate is 2-6 seconds behind the keystroke. This is the only site I experience this problem on and I belong to a dozen discussion forums.

The problems caused by malware comes mostly from downloading infected software. I never install anything on this computer that hasn't come from a reputable source. Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
It's not a malware issue. Where is the server physically located, what are the server's specs, who is the IP and what kind of service package does the server have with the IP?

I use a recently factory-reset computer with Chrome on Windows 8.1 with AdBlockPluse, Disconnect and Ghostery. These have blocked most of the adds but this website is super slow. It takes 30 seconds to load a page and the refresh rate is 2-6 seconds behind the keystroke. This is the only site I experience this problem on and I belong to a dozen discussion forums.

It's not a malware issue. Where is the server physically located, what are the server's specs, who is the IP and what kind of service package does the server have with the IP?

Chrome doesn't play with plug-ins like Flash and a couple of others. I removed them and the performance is now optimal. If I need to view a video I just copy the URL to IE or Mozilla.

That's all I install. But I'm using Linux. It's better than Windows! (unless you're a gamer)
No but there are some virtual boxes you can run that run some Windows programs. But Windows does Windows better. If you need a specific Windows program you are better off with Windows unless you can get away from it.

There is open source software alternatives as good or better that Windows programs. Needs less overhead, install quicker, and are free. I run a business and use all Linux stuff. Libre Office is very good these days.

If it was, Iceweasel wouldn't have had to include the gamer disclaimer.
A gamer disclaimer? You think everyone uses a computer to play games? Even so one can get a Xbox, Playstation, Android tablet, etc.

I think one would be foolish to have a computer for important stuff and use it for intense gaming. I play cards and a few lightweight things on this one but would use another if I got into gaming.

No. It is also extremely difficult to use if you are a plug and play type of PC user - Linux requires a certain understanding of how and why computers operate.
That's not true today. I've installed boatloads of software programs and set up numerous computers and Linux is MUCH easier than Windows. I go to the software manager, pick a program (free) and select install. a few minutes later (if it was a huge program equivalent to Light Table) I select it from the menu and run it.

It's taken me a half hour or more, plus reboots for similar Windows stuff.

That's not true today. I've installed boatloads of software programs and set up numerous computers and Linux is MUCH easier than Windows. I go to the software manager, pick a program (free) and select install. a few minutes later (if it was a huge program equivalent to Light Table) I select it from the menu and run it.

Loathe installing new software. ...Those 3.5" disks are SO annoying. ;)

You won't believe this but somewhere I still have floppy disks from my Franklin 1200!!!!!

You won't believe this but somewhere I still have floppy disks from my Franklin 1200!!!!!

Don't have 5.25" floppies any more, but I do backup my bookmarks file onto 3.5" regularly. Worst-case, if I lose everything else, can rebuild it (in time) from bookmarks.

I have a hunch that somewhere there's someone who could take my old floppies and translate them into current word processors.

I have no idea where the server is actually located. However, I did trace the ping address of the server to Austin Texas. My experience is the opposite of yours. Response on this website is rarely more than a second. One thing I changed made a huge difference. I replaced my hard drive with a solid state drive. It now takes about 4 seconds to boot the computer, about 2 seconds to load chrome about a second to load USMB. The response time is very consistent. The only explanation I can think of is there are a number of dependent tasks some doing a lot of disk I/O and others are in a wait state.

Last edited:
If it was, Iceweasel wouldn't have had to include the gamer disclaimer.
A gamer disclaimer? You think everyone uses a computer to play games?

That is a scummy misrep of my post.

Vote: Iceweasel

Forum List

Back