On the Pleasure of Hating.

Yes, but do you like the answers?

I can carry on like this as long as you can carry on like that. The choice is yours.

Did you ever see those movies?
What movies?

Please don’t have a cow because I asked another clarifying question.

The Carry On movies.

On second thoughts, you wouldn't get the humour.
Nope. I have never seen The Carry On movies.

You might be surprised what I would get. I’m surprised by how many assumptions people are willing to make.

I'm not.
What? Surprised that people make so many assumptions?

You do know you are bad about that, right?

Whatever they are, you keep answering them. :321:

I can carry on like this as long as you can carry on like that. The choice is yours.

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

So what do you think about my assertion (God forbid I use the term argument) that we hate in others what we most hate in ourselves and that if we fix the problems with ourselves we will hate less what we see in the world around us?

Could well be. In some instances. I've not given it much thought.

But I've just been given a book, 'The Psychology of Self Deception'. Maybe I'll come across the notion in there.

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

You might be surprised what I would get. I’m surprised by how many assumptions people are willing to make.

I'm not.

Now you are making an assumption.

Whatever they are, you keep answering them. :321:

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

So what do you think about my assertion (God forbid I use the term argument) that we hate in others what we most hate in ourselves and that if we fix the problems with ourselves we will hate less what we see in the world around us?
The assertion is absurd, if youre a caring parent.

If youre a parent, typically the folks youd hate the most are folks that seek to do harm to children.

Thats what I personally hate the MOST, and its certainly not within myself as a trait to seek to harm children.

What do you think you hate the most in others? Murder, rape, lying - molestation?

I wouldnt accuse you of those.

Thats what I personally think of your assertion.

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

Could well be. In some instances. I've not given it much thought.

But I've just been given a book, 'The Psychology of Self Deception'. Maybe I'll come across the notion in there.
T.S. Elliot touched on this point, albeit obliquely, in his novel The Cocktail Party.

It’s a very powerful concept that allows one to take back control.

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

I'm not.

No. It’s an observation. Would you like me to explain?

The Carry On movies.

I'm not.

Not really. I'm fading away, it's past my bedtime; and I can't give you my undivided attention.

I'm not.

Not really. I'm fading away, it's past my bedtime; and I can't give you my undivided attention.
Well... you are 98 years old.

If that helps you.

Do you expect me to stay up all night, just for you?

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

If youre a parent, typically the folks youd hate the most are folks that seek to do harm to children.

Thats what I personally hate the MOST, and its certainly not within myself as a trait to seek to harm children.

What do you think you hate the most in others? Murder, rape, lying - molestation?

It’s not really me you are disagreeing with it’s Marian Keyes and Carl Jung you are disagreeing with. I just happen to agree with them.

Why It’s Important To Understand That We Hate Others For What We Hate About Ourselves

Furthermore, devaluing others makes us feel better. It’s the dunning effect all over again.

We See in Others What We Fear in Ourselves

So I can easily see why it is easy to hate others. But I don’t see how it is productive or helpful. I think it is detrimental.

If that helps you.

That stick of yours is buried deep.

If that helps you.

You're so unkind.

“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” Hermann Hesse

If that helps you.

You're so unkind.
Sometimes.

If that helps you.

You're so unkind.
I was literally making a joke that I thought you would find funny. But instead you made an assumption which was skewed by your perception of me.

“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” Hermann Hesse

So because Herman Hesse says it.......
No. Because it is true.

But if you don’t want to believe it then don’t. But in my opinion you would be missing out on a very powerful tool. According to Karl Jung, “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

It’s not really me you are disagreeing with it’s Marian Keyes and Carl Jung you are disagreeing with. I just happen to agree with them.

Why It’s Important To Understand That We Hate Others For What We Hate About Ourselves

Furthermore, devaluing others makes us feel better. It’s the dunning effect all over again.

So I can easily see why it is easy to hate others. But I don’t see how it is productive or helpful. I think it is detrimental.
I made points. Instead of addressing them directly, you made 2 non sequiturs.

If its not ok to disagree with your, or their, idea - cool bro.

What movies?

The Carry On movies.

I don’t have to address your points to validate mine.

Like I told the OP, if you don’t want to believe that what we hate in others is what we hate about ourselves, then don’t.

The Carry On movies.

I don’t have to address your points to validate mine.
My points invalidated yours. Thats the issue.

I dont hate "most" in me my desire to hate children.

Forum List

Back