🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Opinions about the beheaded American?

My opinion: we are seeing medieval barbarians behave like medieval barbarians....and should do everything in our power to destroy them and prevent their spread into civilization.

It's not our problem. Think about the French or the Japanese sending troops to Ferguson to clean up injustice that Americans can't deal with.

This is a regional problem that needs to be addressed by those in the region. It's not the job of America to right every wrong in the world.

As for Foley, he met his death with some dignity, no crying or whimpering or begging for mercy which means he showed more bravery and character than most people would in the same circumstances. His bravery though wasn't total. He submitted to his death, he didn't fight, he denounced his brother and country. He was emotionally vanquished and allowed himself to be used as a pawn. Why? He was brave enough to die with dignity so why did he permit them to have power over him to lead him to submit and denounce? This brought shame onto him in the last moments of his life.

He gave his executioners power and glory. Not glory by western standards but glory within the realm of Islam. These men are fighting to bring change to that region, horrible as the change is. That has to be acknowledged. For the followers of Islam, especially the young disaffected men, this execution video will be a powerful statement. A Muslim has broken a Western man, made him submit to his own death and had him renounce family and country.This paints the West as weak and Islam as strong.

In the end, Foley was like Rachel Corrie, a misguided liberal interfering in affairs that weren't his and he paid the price for his meddlesome nature.

What do you mean by this (the part I put in bold)? Care to explain? :D

A reporter is not really just a chronicler of events, Foley had a point of view, he advanced that point of view in his reports and his choices of which events to write on, and with that involvement comes risk. One shouldn't expect to have freedom to influence events while simultaneously being shielded from the consequences which arise from one's reporting. It's like Rachel Corrie - she went to Gaza to influence events and got herself flattened by a bulldozer. Closer to home are the journalists in Ferguson - they've been instrumental in inflaming the situation and then they cry pretty tears when they get swept up by police efforts to control the situation.

My opinion: we are seeing medieval barbarians behave like medieval barbarians....and should do everything in our power to destroy them and prevent their spread into civilization.

It's not our problem. Think about the French or the Japanese sending troops to Ferguson to clean up injustice that Americans can't deal with.

This is a regional problem that needs to be addressed by those in the region. It's not the job of America to right every wrong in the world.

As for Foley, he met his death with some dignity, no crying or whimpering or begging for mercy which means he showed more bravery and character than most people would in the same circumstances. His bravery though wasn't total. He submitted to his death, he didn't fight, he denounced his brother and country. He was emotionally vanquished and allowed himself to be used as a pawn. Why? He was brave enough to die with dignity so why did he permit them to have power over him to lead him to submit and denounce? This brought shame onto him in the last moments of his life.

He gave his executioners power and glory. Not glory by western standards but glory within the realm of Islam. These men are fighting to bring change to that region, horrible as the change is. That has to be acknowledged. For the followers of Islam, especially the young disaffected men, this execution video will be a powerful statement. A Muslim has broken a Western man, made him submit to his own death and had him renounce family and country.This paints the West as weak and Islam as strong.

In the end, Foley was like Rachel Corrie, a misguided liberal interfering in affairs that weren't his and he paid the price for his meddlesome nature.

A reporter is not really just a chronicler of events, Foley had a point of view, he advanced that point of view in his reports and his choices of which events to write on, and with that involvement comes risk. One shouldn't expect to have freedom to influence events while simultaneously being shielded from the consequences which arise from one's reporting. It's like Rachel Corrie - she went to Gaza to influence events and got herself flattened by a bulldozer. Closer to home are the journalists in Ferguson - they've been instrumental in inflaming the situation and then they cry pretty tears when they get swept up by police efforts to control the situation.

I'm not sure I agree. As far as I'm aware, he was just a journalist, but I'm not too familiar with him. Was he embedded with the terrorists?

I'm not sure I agree. As far as I'm aware, he was just a journalist, but I'm not too familiar with him. Was he embedded with the terrorists?

"Just a journalist." No such thing. He was writing about atrocities of the Assad regime, he was lending his support to the forces of Democracy - his viewpoint mirrored that of the Obama Administration. His work helped readers understand the Obama, or even the Western, viewpoint. That's taking sides.

To put it another way - he was a tool of the West. His viewpoint was Western. He was at odds with the goals of Muslims. He pushed for Nato intervention, he tweeted about how American Right Wing movements were as much a threat as Al Queda. He was a political animal and he was in a political battle in an arena (the Middle East-North Africa) where there are a lot of battles going on and he used words and propaganda as his weapon rather than bullets and bombs.

Soldiers try to change events on the ground by killing opponents and taking control of territory and wordsmiths try to influence events by using their skills with language. He was there trying to change things, just like soldiers on the ground try to change things. He was not "just a journalist."

"Just a journalist." No such thing. He was writing about atrocities of the Assad regime, he was lending his support to the forces of Democracy - his viewpoint mirrored that of the Obama Administration. His work helped readers understand the Obama, or even the Western, viewpoint. That's taking sides.

To put it another way - he was a tool of the West. His viewpoint was Western. He was at odds with the goals of Muslims. He pushed for Nato intervention, he tweeted about how American Right Wing movements were as much a threat as Al Queda. He was a political animal and he was in a political battle in an arena (the Middle East-North Africa) where there are a lot of battles going on and he used words and propaganda as his weapon rather than bullets and bombs.

Soldiers try to change events on the ground by killing opponents and taking control of territory and wordsmiths try to influence events by using their skills with language. He was there trying to change things, just like soldiers on the ground try to change things. He was not "just a journalist."

I've heard nothing of this. There is such thing as a journalist too, those who just report the events as they unfold. I don't think it's even necessary to take sides. Everyone with half a brain knows that this ISIS group is made up of a bunch of extremist nut jobs.

I've heard nothing of this. There is such thing as a journalist too, those who just report the events as they unfold. I don't think it's even necessary to take sides. Everyone with half a brain knows that this ISIS group is made up of a bunch of extremist nut jobs.

"Just a journalist." OK, the reporter who gets sent to the ball game to report the score. The reporter who gets sent to the local flower show. Anytime a reporter gets to pick and choose how to craft a story, which sources to quote and which to ignore, what angle to emphasize and what angle to ignore, he is shaping events, not merely reporting on them. Foley was trying to shape events. He didn't favor the Assad regime. That's picking a side.

As for ISIS, they're an anti-Western competing ideology and that has a lot of appeal to people in the region. The look at life in the west and reject many things that we hold dear. They have their own vision of how society should be structured. They fight by old standards of combat, not Geneva Convention standards. If they were nutjobs, then they'd still be stuck in looney-bins somewhere rather than actually conquering territory and defeating local armies.

"Just a journalist." OK, the reporter who gets sent to the ball game to report the score. The reporter who gets sent to the local flower show. Anytime a reporter gets to pick and choose how to craft a story, which sources to quote and which to ignore, what angle to emphasize and what angle to ignore, he is shaping events, not merely reporting on them. Foley was trying to shape events. He didn't favor the Assad regime. That's picking a side.

As for ISIS, they're an anti-Western competing ideology and that has a lot of appeal to people in the region. The look at life in the west and reject many things that we hold dear. They have their own vision of how society should be structured. They fight by old standards of combat, not Geneva Convention standards. If they were nutjobs, then they'd still be stuck in looney-bins somewhere rather than actually conquering territory and defeating local armies.

Interesting. I never thought of it like that.

Sorry, but I think anyone that can saw a person's head off with a rusty old knife is a nut job. That is appalling.

This whole beheading incident doesn't make sense to people in the West but it resonates with people in the region due to historical precedents. Look up how Islam came to be dominant so quickly after its creation. Warfare is a central theme to Islam. Look at all of the Western Muslims flocking to join ISIS. Westerners are befuddled by the appeal. This tells us that Islam has a stronger influence on these Western Muslims than does Western culture. In that tug of war contest, the ancient appeal is stronger than the modern appeal of Lady Gaga.

I'm going to assume that this is in reference to the journalist part of my comment. This analysis is at the ehart of the Right's charges of media bias in American news reporting. There are all sorts of stories bubbling in the Rights' minor leagues of media which is actually news but doesn't get covered by the mainstream media.

Here's a real world example - when those Danish cartoons were published, not one media outlet in America published them. This decision meant that they were taking a side. Recall why they were published in Denmark - cartoonists and the publisher believed that there was too much self-censorship going on with respect to Islam and so they took a stand and said "we're not going to silence ourselves." Did American media stand with the fight for press freedom or the side of not offending American Muslims? The fact that the decision was so uniform across the land drove home the point of how overwhelming is the liberal bias in media. If it was a 50/50 type of affair, that would gut the charge of liberal bias, of shaping a story, but when it was a 100/0 affair, well.

Sorry, but I think anyone that can saw a person's head off with a rusty old knife is a nut job. That is appalling.

Americans have lives divorced from brutal violence in their lives. Plenty of people around the world have such violence in their lives and are used to it.

The best way, in my opinion, to understand that mindset is to look back into history and the brutality we find there. Look at the gladiator games in Rome - people going to cheer men killing each other in the arena. Look at public beheadings in France - a family affair, an afternoon's entertainment.

The West has grown soft, other regions haven't. You can call them nutjobs, but for the right audience of Islamic men, those who don't think of themselves as soft, that video shows strength, power, glory, righteousness, etc. To understand that appeal you need to have the correct cultural and religious foundation. The West is in the post-Enlightenment era, our signals and cultural foundations lead us in a different direction. The Islamic world hasn't had its own reformation or enlightenment yet.

I'm going to assume that this is in reference to the journalist part of my comment. This analysis is at the ehart of the Right's charges of media bias in American news reporting. There are all sorts of stories bubbling in the Rights' minor leagues of media which is actually news but doesn't get covered by the mainstream media.

Here's a real world example - when those Danish cartoons were published, not one media outlet in America published them. This decision meant that they were taking a side. Recall why they were published in Denmark - cartoonists and the publisher believed that there was too much self-censorship going on with respect to Islam and so they took a stand and said "we're not going to silence ourselves." Did American media stand with the fight for press freedom or the side of not offending American Muslims? The fact that the decision was so uniform across the land drove home the point of how overwhelming is the liberal bias in media. If it was a 50/50 type of affair, that would gut the charge of liberal bias, of shaping a story, but when it was a 100/0 affair, well.

Americans have lives divorced from brutal violence in their lives. Plenty of people around the world have such violence in their lives and are used to it.

The best way, in my opinion, to understand that mindset is to look back into history and the brutality we find there. Look at the gladiator games in Rome - people going to cheer men killing each other in the arena. Look at public beheadings in France - a family affair, an afternoon's entertainment.

The West has grown soft, other regions haven't. You can call them nutjobs, but for the right audience of Islamic men, those who don't think of themselves as soft, that video shows strength, power, glory, righteousness, etc. To understand that appeal you need to have the correct cultural and religious foundation. The West is in the post-Enlightenment era, our signals and cultural foundations lead us in a different direction. The Islamic world hasn't had its own reformation or enlightenment yet.
IMO this sort of state funded murder put America in the mix for the barbarian of the year award. Some Examples of Post-Furman Botched Executions Death Penalty Information Center

The first bolded: that was a truly stupid statement. Just a little research on your part would have told you that it is common practice under those muslim bastards to tell someone they plan to kill via beheading that they will either spare his life of the life of yet another captive should he recite the text they give him. So, more than likely, what Foley did was to say another life, even if only for a short while. I call that extremely brave. Anyone with even the slightest ability to read body english can see that Foley did not mean what he said, that he was coerced.

And you are disgusting for deciding to ruin his memory in this way. Thanks again for showing the true face of Conservatism.

Second bolded: that is just partisan-hack crap, nothing more.

The first bolded: that was a truly stupid statement. Just a little research on your part would have told you that it is common practice under those muslim bastards to tell someone they plan to kill via beheading that they will either spare his life of the life of yet another captive should he recite the text they give him. So, more than likely, what Foley did was to say another life, even if only for a short while. I call that extremely brave. Anyone with even the slightest ability to read body english can see that Foley did not mean what he said, that he was coerced.

And you are disgusting for deciding to ruin his memory in this way. Thanks again for showing the true face of Conservatism.

Hey moron, I'm not the face of Conservatism. Do you believe that the rioters in Ferguson are the face of the Democratic Party?

The problem for your assessment is that other hostages don't play along - they don't submit, they don't permit themselves to be debased. They attach value to principles which are greater than the value they attach to life - they believe in something greater than themselves. We see that with soldiers who die rather than give up secrets, we see that with religious martyrs. There's no way I'd denounce my family before the world, even if it meant someone else would be killed. First, I have respect for my family. Second, I have respect for myself. At the moment of my death I want to know that my life stood for something and submission would stain my soul (if I believed I had a soul)

I wouldn't expect a soft liberal pantywaist like you to understand the notion of dying for a greater cause. Go get your pedicure now.

Point #2: Foley's twitter feed:
  • New Syrian opposition coalition hailed by Britain, France and Germany, but where are the guns?
  • Meet the Exile Tracking the Death Toll- lone man behind Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
  • jealousy spat potentially to take down 2nd four star general = we should really speed up that withdrawal from #Afghan
  • Syrian Opp says should get promised military aid as they've presented unified front per request, the West dithers
  • excited 4 #Obama mandate, but how explain #Syrians we spent 6 Bil on TV ads but won't stop the daily slaughter here
  • Why Islamists Winning Elections Is Good for Democracy and the War on Terrorism
  • #Libyans are the nicest mujahed #Aleppo. "Allah is my No Fly Zone!"
  • Dear #Syrians don't believe that Romney will help you acquire surface to air missiles. He's just saying that to prove Obama's "weak".
That's advocacy. Plenty of Obama worship which I didn't include here. My point stands. He had an agenda and was using his reporting to advance his agenda. That's a dangerous game to play.

Hey moron, I'm not the face of Conservatism. Do you believe that the rioters in Ferguson are the face of the Democratic Party?

The problem for your assessment is that other hostages don't play along - they don't submit, they don't permit themselves to be debased. They attach value to principles which are greater than the value they attach to life - they believe in something greater than themselves. We see that with soldiers who die rather than give up secrets, we see that with religious martyrs. There's no way I'd denounce my family before the world, even if it meant someone else would be killed. First, I have respect for my family. Second, I have respect for myself. At the moment of my death I want to know that my life stood for something and submission would stain my soul (if I believed I had a soul).
I hope you never find yourself in the same situation as John McCain but if you do its not staining your soul you will be worrying about.

The problem for your assessment is that other hostages don't play along - they don't submit, they don't permit themselves to be debased. They attach value to principles which are greater than the value they attach to life - they believe in something greater than themselves. We see that with soldiers who die rather than give up secrets, we see that with religious martyrs. There's no way I'd denounce my family before the world, even if it meant someone else would be killed. First, I have respect for my family. Second, I have respect for myself. At the moment of my death I want to know that my life stood for something and submission would stain my soul (if I believed I had a soul)

I wouldn't expect a soft liberal pantywaist like you to understand the notion of dying for a greater cause. Go get your pedicure now.

Point #2: Foley's twitter feed:
  • New Syrian opposition coalition hailed by Britain, France and Germany, but where are the guns?
  • Meet the Exile Tracking the Death Toll- lone man behind Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
  • jealousy spat potentially to take down 2nd four star general = we should really speed up that withdrawal from #Afghan
  • Syrian Opp says should get promised military aid as they've presented unified front per request, the West dithers
  • excited 4 #Obama mandate, but how explain #Syrians we spent 6 Bil on TV ads but won't stop the daily slaughter here
  • Why Islamists Winning Elections Is Good for Democracy and the War on Terrorism
  • #Libyans are the nicest mujahed #Aleppo. "Allah is my No Fly Zone!"
  • Dear #Syrians don't believe that Romney will help you acquire surface to air missiles. He's just saying that to prove Obama's "weak".
That's advocacy. Plenty of Obama worship which I didn't include here. My point stands. He had an agenda and was using his reporting to advance his agenda. That's a dangerous game to play.

Not a bit of what you wrote is "Obama worship". That is just batshit crazy. Typical for Righties like you.

And so you pull up one article about one italian who was murdered by those bastards who resisted - and that was TEN YEARS AGO, and then you decide to besmirch the memory of an American by calling him a coward. What you forget to realize, probably because you are too fucking stupid to know, is that each situation is different.

You are an Right Wing extremist American Taliban political hack, nothing more and nothing less.

My opinion on Radical Islam has never changed since the 70's. They are barbarian scum. This is just another example of who and what they are and have been for quite some time. There is no negotiation with this scum. They can only be wiped from the face of the earth so they can no longer infect the earth with their disease.

You can't fight them with a bunch of rules. You can't stop all the collateral damage that comes with War. Because unless you are a dumb ass, War is Hell on Earth. Right now there are Wars and violence all over the globe because of Radical Islamic sects. The disease is spreading, especially across Africa where poverty is rampant. They use the impoverished as cannon fodder for a dang bowl of rice.

Countries support this BS. And because they say the terrorist have no real Nation to claim, but are Nationless............the supporting countries never pay a price for their involvement. Until they pay a price for supporting terror there will be no change and these type of barbaric acts will continue.

To end this, we need to get brutal, and stop playing by a bunch of rules that have no place in Warfare. The only rule is to win the War, or destroy the enemy. Radical Islam is the enemy as are the nations who support it.

To the main OP. Yes I am disgusted with the ritual beheading by these heathens, as I have been disgusted over the decades by similar incidents around the globe for decades. I'm also disgusted that ISIL actually Crucified men in Northern Iraq. I'm also disgusted by those Iraqi's lined up in a ditch and shot into it. Reminding me of images of WWII. Nothing has really changed over there. It is full of Hard Lined Radicals hell bent on nothing but destruction to any who do not agree with them.

And so it continues...........

Sorry but I don't get worked up about it when foreigners get grabbed in hot war zones. They knew the risk, they were making money being there, shit happens. In the case of a reporter presumedly producing pieces decidely against ISIS, he was a defacto enemy combatant producing critical propaganda against them, as such a perfectly valid target.

Don't wanna get got, don't go to war zones to cover terror groups who aren't real big observers of international laws and treaties. Journalists in war zones are essentially intelligence assets, not by any stretch of the imagination 'innocent bystanders.'

To the recent posts of political nature. No one here can say that in the end they wouldn't say things that they didn't mean while being tortured and killed. These words of someone under captivity are to be disregarded, because it is done under conditions that are beyond our understanding. The words and tweets of Foley were coerced and that is all.

I also understand that if captured I will only give my name rank and serial number. I understand that oath, and would Honor that oath to the best of my ability. Yet again, no one here can know the torture bestowed to Foley or the limits of his ability to resist the torture, and finally he was a reporter and not military. So the point is mute.

To Obama and his policies. I do believe he has potentially armed these people. His policies have made this worse. Libya is in Chaos. We've had to evacuate our people from the embassies there. Economic production is at a near stand still. To top it off, the arms for the FSA have fallen to ISIS in Syria further destabilizing the region. Assad is a POS, but he is a Dictator and whether you like him or not ( I don't) he keeps a lid on the powder keg in Syria. And old Marine once told me, Some people need a boot on their neck for their own good.

To the recent posts of political nature. No one here can say that in the end they wouldn't say things that they didn't mean while being tortured and killed. These words of someone under captivity are to be disregarded, because it is done under conditions that are beyond our understanding. The words and tweets of Foley were coerced and that is all.

I also understand that if captured I will only give my name rank and serial number. I understand that oath, and would Honor that oath to the best of my ability. Yet again, no one here can know the torture bestowed to Foley or the limits of his ability to resist the torture, and finally he was a reporter and not military. So the point is mute.

To Obama and his policies. I do believe he has potentially armed these people. His policies have made this worse. Libya is in Chaos. We've had to evacuate our people from the embassies there. Economic production is at a near stand still. To top it off, the arms for the FSA have fallen to ISIS in Syria further destabilizing the region. Assad is a POS, but he is a Dictator and whether you like him or not ( I don't) he keeps a lid on the powder keg in Syria. And old Marine once told me, Some people need a boot on their neck for their own good.

Easy to say you'd only give your name, rank, and ssn sitting at our computers. Arabs know how to torture, and compared to us, are masterfully good at it. So give captives the benefit of the doubt and a pass for anything they may divuldge, sign, or do when in captivity.

Sorry but I don't get worked up about it when foreigners get grabbed in hot war zones. They knew the risk, they were making money being there, shit happens. In the case of a reporter presumedly producing pieces decidely against ISIS, he was a defacto enemy combatant producing critical propaganda against them, as such a perfectly valid target.

Don't wanna get got, don't go to war zones to cover terror groups who aren't real big observers of international laws and treaties. Journalists in war zones are essentially intelligence assets, not by any stretch of the imagination 'innocent bystanders.'

It's War, and I'd agree that he knew the risks. Reporters are targets in the hot zones. Yet to see the ritual killing still makes me want to feed these vermin to wild hogs.

Easy to say you'd only give your name, rank, and ssn sitting at our computers. Arabs know how to torture, and compared to us, are masterfully good at it. So give captives the benefit of the doubt and a pass for anything they may divuldge, sign, or do when in captivity.

You didn't read my dang post completely did you. I said no one knows their real ability to resist the torture. You just skipped by all that didn't you.

I stated the code of the military, which was the oath we served under. I would honor that code to the best of my ability, but again I don't and you don't really know the limits of our ability to resist..........

Perhaps next time you'll read my whole dang post.
:lame2:

It's War, and I'd agree that he knew the risks. Reporters are targets in the hot zones. Yet to see the ritual killing still makes me want to feed these vermin to wild hogs.

As intended. So don't let it get ya upset. Upset people make bad decisions. Have to assume emotional responses were they're intent, so deny them what they sought. Could beheaded him off-camera, they didn't, ergo they're seeking to cause fear, anger, and goade the west into making a bad tactical decision.

Forum List

Back