O'Reilly Backs Electric Cars. What An Idiot

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Last night I was watching Bill O'Reilly for the first time in a week and one of the first topics of discussion was his support of electric cars. The Tesla was the car he focused on the most.

He said it's all good because an electric car doesn't pollute. Well, not immediately, but he's ignoring a glaring fact about electric cars.

We just went through one of the coldest Winters in the last 20 years. How does he expect a car that runs on a battery to run when the ambient temperature drops below 20 degrees. How does this car provide heat for the occupants and not die in the middle of a trip to work?

Anyone who knows about batteries knows that they become unable to produce much of a charge in extremely cold weather. Turn on the heater and a car that has a max range of 50 miles dies at 15 or 20 miles. Next thing you know we have thousands of people stranded in a cold car in a blizzard.

O'Reilly is such an idiot.

Last night I was watching Bill O'Reilly for the first time in a week and one of the first topics of discussion was his support of electric cars. The Tesla was the car he focused on the most.

He said it's all good because an electric car doesn't pollute. Well, not immediately, but he's ignoring a glaring fact about electric cars.

We just went through one of the coldest Winters in the last 20 years. How does he expect a car that runs on a battery to run when the ambient temperature drops below 20 degrees. How does this car provide heat for the occupants and not die in the middle of a trip to work?

Anyone who knows about batteries knows that they become unable to produce much of a charge in extremely cold weather. Turn on the heater and a car that has a max range of 50 miles dies at 15 or 20 miles. Next thing you know we have thousands of people stranded in a cold car in a blizzard.

Do you know for a fact that the engineers of the tesla have not overlooked this and designed for it?

Fill us in on your tesla engineering research

Do you know for a fact that the engineers of the tesla have not overlooked this and designed for it?

Ohm's law says otherwise.

You need a motor on it to recharge the battery.

A hybrid in other words. Nothing wrong with hybrids.

So you already know the miles before needing a recharge when the heat is on full blast, on a Tesla?

What's it at, lettuce snow.

This sounds reasonable, but would they make a car that would not start in cold weather. This seems improbable.

An Average American drives 32.877 miles per day.

A fully charged Tesla Battery runs for 300 miles, or 912% higher than the average person is driving.

When the heat is on full blast, it will drop the battery's life by 25 miles over the 300 mile life, or 275 miles, or 836.45% more than an Average Citizen drives.

Hopefully that addresses your concerns why O'Reilly would endorse such a car.

offhandedly i believe a battery loses 6 percent for every 10 degrees F dropped

they may use the waste heat from the electric motor for some compartment heating

but is that enough to compensate for the humidity produced by breathing

or does the inside of the windshield frost up

they may use the waste heat from the electric motor for some compartment heating

These aren't questions anymore.

They're answered, if you cared to look them up.

A fully charged Tesla Battery runs for 300 miles, or 912% higher than the average person is driving.

When the heat is on full blast, it will drop the battery's life by 25 miles over the 300 mile life, or 275 miles, or 836.45% more than an Average Citizen drives.

Nope. I don't believe it.

I noticed you didn't bother to mention ambient temperature, or sub-zero temperatures in the equation, or provide a link.

Last edited:
fingers in ears and lalalalalala? I love that!

all I had to do was simple research, something so basic a normal person would do before they created a thread to whine about something that they're later found to not have a fuggin clue about

These aren't questions anymore.

They're answered, if you cared to look them up.

they are not answered

tesla has not released its winter performance results

those that have tested it

loss as much as 40 percent of it life

I noticed you didn't bother to mention ambient temperature, or sub-zero temperatures in the equation, or provide a link.

He provided a link, it was right beside yours. Don't know how you missed it. :dunno:

the consumer reports i read

they called 45 degrees "chilly"

and reported a loss of 15 percent

fingers in ears and lalalalalala? I love that!

all I had to do was simple research, something so basic a normal person would do before they created a thread to whine about something that they're later found to not have a fuggin clue about

I found a link to the Tesla site.

Even they said they didn't test the car in extreme cold with the heater going full blast. Read it for yourself..... http://www.plugincars.com/video-tesla-tests-model-s-snow-and-sub-zero-temperatures-120246.html

He provided a link, it was right beside yours. Don't know how you missed it. :dunno:

Didn't miss it because he didn't provide it. No link.

This winter Model S took a trip to Baudette, Minnesota, one of the coldest places in the continental United States. Tesla engineers worked for days in sub-zero weather in order to put Model S through a rigorous set of demanding winter driving tests.

"The Automotive Enviro Testing facility offered us 820 acres of snow and ice and 19 different courses of varied winter terrain. This allowed us to fully evaluate Model S vehicle dynamics, durability, range and performance under the most extreme conditions. After days of rigorous testing, we left more confident than ever that Model S will set the standard for premium performance—no matter what's in the forecast."

Of course, its well known that electric vehicles often perform admirably in the snow and that cold temperatures barely affect the overall performance of battery-only machines. But what's unknown at this point is whether or not the Model S' range will drop off dramatically when driven by owners with the heat on full blast in real-world conditions.

Paragraph 2 and the ending sentence of paragraph three don't seem compatible, whoever wrote this is a dipshit.

There are hours of forum posts of "real world" drivers conveying their experiences. Happy reading, if you even cared to begin with.

Electric cars will continue to remain a commuter/2nd car niche until they find a way of charging a spent battery in less than 15 minutes.

winter cold weather takes its toll

on performance

Winter chills limit range of the Tesla Model S electric car

They were talking past each other a bit. I'm all for electric cars and hope they get them fine tuned soon. They aren't ready to replace gas fuel autos yet. One big hurdle is that power grids are often strained as it is and thanks to 'some people' power plants have not been built to keep up with demand. More nuclear plants would have helped a bunch.

I imagine heaters would be installed for extreme cold and they would need to be plugged in. That would limit autos parked on the street or parking lots. Maybe charging stations that accept Visa?

Forum List

Back