Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star

I'd volunteer to head for the new planet if they could get us there in a rapid period of time. Gotta get away from this looney Islam somehow.
At the speed we can go we can get there in 80,000 years. I think we need to first build a moon size ship that travels slowly but safely. The humans on this ship know they will die on the ship and many many generations will die before this ship ever reaches its destination.

We harvest the meteor belt to make this moon size ship.

As technology advances we will build faster ship that will eventually pass this ship but it will serve as a rest stop for people traveling faster in smaller ships.

The only waste of time is to do nothing. Humans can live long after this planet is gone and our sun dies. If we don't escape the human race is doomed just like dinosaurs.

Hawking’s Team is Planning a Flyby Mission to Proxima B, Earth’s Closest Alien Planet
Hawking's Team is Planning a Flyby Mission to Proxima B, Earth's Closest Alien Planet

UCSB Experimental Cosmology Group
In Brief
Breakthrough Starshot, the ambitious spacefaring initiative led by Stephen Hawking and Yuri Milner, is looking at Proxima b as a candidate for a flyby mission by the probes.

Combining Plans
Back in April, Stephen Hawking and billionaire space enthusiast Yuri Milner announced an ambitious long-term program: Breakthrough Starshot. The venture aims to send small, postage-stamp sized probes outfitted with sails out to the Alpha Centauri star system in around 20-30 years.

Hawking’s Team is Planning a Flyby Mission to Proxima B, Earth’s Closest Alien Planet
Hawking's Team is Planning a Flyby Mission to Proxima B, Earth's Closest Alien Planet

In Brief
Breakthrough Starshot, the ambitious spacefaring initiative led by Stephen Hawking and Yuri Milner, is looking at Proxima b as a candidate for a flyby mission by the probes.

Combining Plans
Back in April, Stephen Hawking and billionaire space enthusiast Yuri Milner announced an ambitious long-term program: Breakthrough Starshot. The venture aims to send small, postage-stamp sized probes outfitted with sails out to the Alpha Centauri star system in around 20-30 years.

I am assuming this project will be designed along the idea of "Air Mail Special Delivery" program of yesteryear? I wish I knew whether to laugh or cry. Postage stamp indeed! What will be really heartbreaking is if the stamp returns bearing an "Insufficient Postage, address unknown" mark in a few thousand years, give or take. Matthew, you are the champion of "accountable government. Get with it, fella. As someone asked earlier on, who and what are going to engrave the millions of lines of information required on the postage stamp sized piece of silicone pulling this off? And a "bunny battery" is not going to hack it either. Maybe we should simply clean up earth and it's population. "We" are the problem after all.

In Brief

Combining Plans

I am assuming this project will be designed along the idea of "Air Mail Special Delivery" program of yesteryear? I wish I knew whether to laugh or cry. Postage stamp indeed! What will be really heartbreaking is if the stamp returns bearing an "Insufficient Postage, address unknown" mark in a few thousand years, give or take. Matthew, you are the champion of "accountable government. Get with it, fella. As someone asked earlier on, who and what are going to engrave the millions of lines of information required on the postage stamp sized piece of silicone pulling this off? And a "bunny battery" is not going to hack it either. Maybe we should simply clean up earth and it's population. "We" are the problem after all.
Yes, the matrix did tell the truth after all that humans are mostly like a virus.

In Brief

Combining Plans

Yes, the matrix did tell the truth after all that humans are mostly like a virus.

If you believe this then all life is. Anything with any kind of ability to change its environment.

Me, I have a higher regard of humanity and believe he is at his best when he is exploring and innovating.

Welcome back to my ignore. How is it America's problem to clean up other peoples messes? America should keep its high standards and lead the world in science as it does best.

We'd be unwelcomed in most of the world as we're already are. So why not better ourselves and invest in our children as we certainly can do.

Last edited:

In Brief

Combining Plans

I heard they are the size and cost of a iPad. And Steven Hawking and some rich dude are behind it so don't worry about your precious taxes going towards this.

Funny you righties say you worry about future generations but then doesn't it bother you this planet has an expiration date?

In Brief

Combining Plans

I'm hoping we evolve and stop multiplying like rabbits. Imagine if we developed a birth control where in the slums of America, South America, Africa, India and every other poor place, imagine if there were never anymore unplanned pregnancies.

You go to the doctor and they insert an IUD if you don't want to get pregnant. You don't have it removed unless you want children.

I know they already have this technology so why aren't we using it? I think the rulers of the world like the poor having kids. I think churches like it too.

My goal is to shrink the population, consume less resources and better quality of life.

In the future no one should cut lawn. Robots do that.

If we sent 1000 people to this new planet and how long until that 1000 is a billion

In Brief

Combining Plans

I heard they are the size and cost of a iPad. And Steven Hawking and some rich dude are behind it so don't worry about your precious taxes going towards this.

Funny you righties say you worry about future generations but then doesn't it bother you this planet has an expiration date?

They bitch about such things about working on our own planet(assuming our poor and environment) but then support zero investment into education, science, or infrastructure. The fact that they do makes their words hollow and idiotic.

And even if they did care about those things. Why shouldn't we explore our universe? By doing so more people will want to go into fields that pay good money and that would help improve things here.

In Brief

Combining Plans

They bitch about such things about working on our own planet(assuming our poor and environment) but then support zero investment into education, science, or infrastructure. The fact that they do makes their words hollow and idiotic.

And even if they did care about those things. Why shouldn't we explore our universe? By doing so more people will want to go into fields that pay good money and that would help improve things here.
And listen to how idiotic he sounded when he said,"what message are you going to put on this postage stamp?" Apparently he's not heard of nano technology.

And what grinds my gears is they are so negative. Im sure if you traced their ancestors back to before we got spaceships into outer space their relatives were the same way. They thought it was a waste of time.

And their ancestors laughed at the guy rubbing two sticks together feverously for hours.

In Brief

Combining Plans

I heard something about arriving in 2080. I would be 90 years old. I don't think I'll see it but I'm excited about what I will see.

I don't worry about what happens to me after I die. I suspect it's a lot like what it was like before I was born. But I do worry about the planet and the human species. I hope we become space travelors long before the planet expires. Wed be stupid not to try.

Couldn't a meteor take us out just like that? Couldn't a super volcano? Couldn't a nuclear war? Couldn't we cause so much global warming we make it un inhabitable? We need a plan b

I cant wait! Yep, these kinds of people have always been this way and probably would of limited humanity to the tree's of eastern africa if they had their way. Thankfully, they very rarely have the levers of power to hold humanity back for more then a few centuries.

The Jim web telescope will be capable of answering our question on rather this has a atmosphere based on this paper that came out today. http://arxiv.org/pdf/1608.07345.pdf

For Matthew and BoBo I offer the following explanation. Hopefully you are able to comprehend. The "postage stamp" or "Iphone" sized object you are so in love with, is not going to cut the mustard, so to speak. Why don't you two think a tad bit larger. You both appear to admit it would take a space vehicle a bit larger than that. One person in this thread mentioned a "moon" sized space ship manufactured from materials harvested from the meteorite belt. I happen to like his/her thinking and boldness. Me, I am thinking even larger. Perhaps the scientific community here on earth could find a way to free the earth from the constraints of our sun so that the entire earth planet could be used as the space ship and set upon a course for your prized destination. Then we would have our cake and eat it also. Food source, atmosphere, why even your own bed to sleep in. All of the comfort of home while moving through space towards your goal. Impossible, you say? Why? If you are going to think big, why do you take such small postage sized leaps? You two are typical science types. Lets take tennie, tiny little bites at a time as that is the scientific way. On the other hand, if you want to think big, such as going into space a distance of 4 light years or more, then at least try to think in those terms. On "space ship earth" the sky is the limit, so to speak. That is assuming you accept the fact that the earth is a space ship in and of itself and currently provides for everyone's needs just fine. Why build an artificial spaceship when you are living on one. Just learn to control it! And then of course, clean the earth and our population problem enroute. It is midgets such as yourselves which keep us here, not forward thinking people. There is much more going on than simply Matthew and BoBo. Live with it, fools!

In Brief

Combining Plans

If you believe this then all life is. Anything with any kind of ability to change its environment.

Me, I have a higher regard of humanity and believe he is at his best when he is exploring and innovating.
I like space exploration too and all the sciences. I think they are detrimental though. It is a lot easier to defend yourself against a Stone Age enemy than against a drone, because stones are plenty and easy to pick up, but how many hackers can you hire to stop a drone?

In Brief

Combining Plans

I'm hoping we evolve and stop multiplying like rabbits. Imagine if we developed a birth control where in the slums of America, South America, Africa, India and every other poor place, imagine if there were never anymore unplanned pregnancies.

You go to the doctor and they insert an IUD if you don't want to get pregnant. You don't have it removed unless you want children.

I know they already have this technology so why aren't we using it? I think the rulers of the world like the poor having kids. I think churches like it too.

My goal is to shrink the population, consume less resources and better quality of life.

In the future no one should cut lawn. Robots do that.

If we sent 1000 people to this new planet and how long until that 1000 is a billion
I agree, even ww1-2 would not have happened if Western Europe had not had its population explosion. But population reduction is a very tricky science. Usually it is controlled by national communist and other centralized unitary governments. So the result of it is usually a slow moving genocide and not an actual population headcount reduction. For that, the ethnic numbers would need to get equalized first, but this has never happened. Would be unchanged if exported to another planet.

For Matthew and BoBo I offer the following explanation. Hopefully you are able to comprehend. The "postage stamp" or "Iphone" sized object you are so in love with, is not going to cut the mustard, so to speak. Why don't you two think a tad bit larger. You both appear to admit it would take a space vehicle a bit larger than that. One person in this thread mentioned a "moon" sized space ship manufactured from materials harvested from the meteorite belt. I happen to like his/her thinking and boldness. Me, I am thinking even larger. Perhaps the scientific community here on earth could find a way to free the earth from the constraints of our sun so that the entire earth planet could be used as the space ship and set upon a course for your prized destination. Then we would have our cake and eat it also. Food source, atmosphere, why even your own bed to sleep in. All of the comfort of home while moving through space towards your goal. Impossible, you say? Why? If you are going to think big, why do you take such small postage sized leaps? You two are typical science types. Lets take tennie, tiny little bites at a time as that is the scientific way. On the other hand, if you want to think big, such as going into space a distance of 4 light years or more, then at least try to think in those terms. On "space ship earth" the sky is the limit, so to speak. That is assuming you accept the fact that the earth is a space ship in and of itself and currently provides for everyone's needs just fine. Why build an artificial spaceship when you are living on one. Just learn to control it! And then of course, clean the earth and our population problem enroute. It is midgets such as yourselves which keep us here, not forward thinking people. There is much more going on than simply Matthew and BoBo. Live with it, fools!
If you are sticking to the science of this space travel proposal, then you don't need to go as far as size, because whatever the size, the object would have to travel like 4 light years. Even if you can accelerate it to as high as 1 % of the speed of light, it would then take 400 years to arrive one way. And above the 1 % you get relativistic distortions. In fact you already get relativistic slow down measured from GPS and other network time satellites as is today. Then let's consider how both Voyager space crafts are slowing down as they travel to the outer solar system.

anotherlife, thank you for the response. My purpose in responding to Matthew and BoBo, was to rule out their false positions that I am against space exploration. I am not against these ventures and view them with importance. BoBo keeps saying that time on earth is limited when estimates by the science range from 10,000 to over millions of years. If he is as concerned as he indicates then I would assume he would favor doing something bold and daring as opposed to a small and piece meal approach. On the other hand, if a comet or large meteor impact with us it will reset the entire clock. Matthew on the other hand has never rejected any scientific snake oil salesman he ever met. As absurd as my proposal to use earth as the space ship that it is, offers a proposal of doing just that. Keep on keeping on , as we are with one exception, instead of orbiting in circles, we set earth on a course to arrive within a manageable distance of Alpha Centari and then explore all we want. Why waste our time on earth going in circles where our destruction is assured. I am aware my proposal is outlandish, however what is less outlandish with postage stamp sized space ships with sails. The truth is both proposals are "outta sight" and do nothing for our, man kinds, situation. However, having said that, if I am to travel 4 light years to another possibly habitable planet, I choose to do it in my own home, sleeping in my own bed while continuing to enjoy shopping at Kroger and eating fresh veggies and fresh eggs not to mention pork. Having my doctors along on the trip is no small matter either. Why settle for a abnormal life style when we can simply send the entire planet there doing as we have done this far into life. Then, again, why worry about it. As far as BoBo being in his twenties now, good for him. I was there, in my twenties, fifty plus years ago. Things moved much slower then, meteors were something rarely mentioned and automobiles traveling at 70 mph were rare. Life was good and the flowers smelled good. Gasoline cost less than a dollar a gallon. However todays pace is the norm. People expect things now, not ten minutes from now. Fair enough! We need to get our priorities in order and proceed. And, as an after thought, I do not see our solar system going away any time soon. Enjoy it while we have it. Thanks again for your interest and input. Have a nice day,:iagree:.

Nothing has increased the standards of living MORE for humanity then science and tech. Humanity should continue to explore and advance as we've always done.

It makes me proud to see so many awesome discoveries...

That is simply wonderful and goosebumply. I stand by my previous statements and positions. You may continue to urinate into the wind with my best regards.

Forum List

Back