Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star

For Matthew and BoBo I offer the following explanation. Hopefully you are able to comprehend. The "postage stamp" or "Iphone" sized object you are so in love with, is not going to cut the mustard, so to speak. Why don't you two think a tad bit larger. You both appear to admit it would take a space vehicle a bit larger than that. One person in this thread mentioned a "moon" sized space ship manufactured from materials harvested from the meteorite belt. I happen to like his/her thinking and boldness. Me, I am thinking even larger. Perhaps the scientific community here on earth could find a way to free the earth from the constraints of our sun so that the entire earth planet could be used as the space ship and set upon a course for your prized destination. Then we would have our cake and eat it also. Food source, atmosphere, why even your own bed to sleep in. All of the comfort of home while moving through space towards your goal. Impossible, you say? Why? If you are going to think big, why do you take such small postage sized leaps? You two are typical science types. Lets take tennie, tiny little bites at a time as that is the scientific way. On the other hand, if you want to think big, such as going into space a distance of 4 light years or more, then at least try to think in those terms. On "space ship earth" the sky is the limit, so to speak. That is assuming you accept the fact that the earth is a space ship in and of itself and currently provides for everyone's needs just fine. Why build an artificial spaceship when you are living on one. Just learn to control it! And then of course, clean the earth and our population problem enroute. It is midgets such as yourselves which keep us here, not forward thinking people. There is much more going on than simply Matthew and BoBo. Live with it, fools!
That was really ignorant thanks for wasting a minute I'll never get back.

Matthew. Imagine this guy in a room with a bunch of scientists. He'd be thrown out so fast.

Can you imagine asking why we would send an unmanned iPad size spaceship first? If you have to ask you probably shouldn't be having this discussion.

And to suggest we can pull the planet out of orbit and things would be just fine has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You've gone full retard

anotherlife, thank you for the response. My purpose in responding to Matthew and BoBo, was to rule out their false positions that I am against space exploration. I am not against these ventures and view them with importance. BoBo keeps saying that time on earth is limited when estimates by the science range from 10,000 to over millions of years. If he is as concerned as he indicates then I would assume he would favor doing something bold and daring as opposed to a small and piece meal approach. On the other hand, if a comet or large meteor impact with us it will reset the entire clock. Matthew on the other hand has never rejected any scientific snake oil salesman he ever met. As absurd as my proposal to use earth as the space ship that it is, offers a proposal of doing just that. Keep on keeping on , as we are with one exception, instead of orbiting in circles, we set earth on a course to arrive within a manageable distance of Alpha Centari and then explore all we want. Why waste our time on earth going in circles where our destruction is assured. I am aware my proposal is outlandish, however what is less outlandish with postage stamp sized space ships with sails. The truth is both proposals are "outta sight" and do nothing for our, man kinds, situation. However, having said that, if I am to travel 4 light years to another possibly habitable planet, I choose to do it in my own home, sleeping in my own bed while continuing to enjoy shopping at Kroger and eating fresh veggies and fresh eggs not to mention pork. Having my doctors along on the trip is no small matter either. Why settle for a abnormal life style when we can simply send the entire planet there doing as we have done this far into life. Then, again, why worry about it. As far as BoBo being in his twenties now, good for him. I was there, in my twenties, fifty plus years ago. Things moved much slower then, meteors were something rarely mentioned and automobiles traveling at 70 mph were rare. Life was good and the flowers smelled good. Gasoline cost less than a dollar a gallon. However todays pace is the norm. People expect things now, not ten minutes from now. Fair enough! We need to get our priorities in order and proceed. And, as an after thought, I do not see our solar system going away any time soon. Enjoy it while we have it. Thanks again for your interest and input. Have a nice day,:iagree:.
Baby steps bro! If we go with your plan we'll never get there.

They didn't first build a ship that could land on the moon. Have you seen the history of rockets? Are you suggesting you could have bipassed all that experimentation and you would have went right to building Apollo 1?

anotherlife, thank you for the response. My purpose in responding to Matthew and BoBo, was to rule out their false positions that I am against space exploration. I am not against these ventures and view them with importance. BoBo keeps saying that time on earth is limited when estimates by the science range from 10,000 to over millions of years. If he is as concerned as he indicates then I would assume he would favor doing something bold and daring as opposed to a small and piece meal approach. On the other hand, if a comet or large meteor impact with us it will reset the entire clock. Matthew on the other hand has never rejected any scientific snake oil salesman he ever met. As absurd as my proposal to use earth as the space ship that it is, offers a proposal of doing just that. Keep on keeping on , as we are with one exception, instead of orbiting in circles, we set earth on a course to arrive within a manageable distance of Alpha Centari and then explore all we want. Why waste our time on earth going in circles where our destruction is assured. I am aware my proposal is outlandish, however what is less outlandish with postage stamp sized space ships with sails. The truth is both proposals are "outta sight" and do nothing for our, man kinds, situation. However, having said that, if I am to travel 4 light years to another possibly habitable planet, I choose to do it in my own home, sleeping in my own bed while continuing to enjoy shopping at Kroger and eating fresh veggies and fresh eggs not to mention pork. Having my doctors along on the trip is no small matter either. Why settle for a abnormal life style when we can simply send the entire planet there doing as we have done this far into life. Then, again, why worry about it. As far as BoBo being in his twenties now, good for him. I was there, in my twenties, fifty plus years ago. Things moved much slower then, meteors were something rarely mentioned and automobiles traveling at 70 mph were rare. Life was good and the flowers smelled good. Gasoline cost less than a dollar a gallon. However todays pace is the norm. People expect things now, not ten minutes from now. Fair enough! We need to get our priorities in order and proceed. And, as an after thought, I do not see our solar system going away any time soon. Enjoy it while we have it. Thanks again for your interest and input. Have a nice day,:iagree:.
Im patient. It will only take 80,000 years to get to this new planet chugging along on earth.

I cant wait! Yep, these kinds of people have always been this way and probably would of limited humanity to the tree's of eastern africa if they had their way. Thankfully, they very rarely have the levers of power to hold humanity back for more then a few centuries.

The Jim web telescope will be capable of answering our question on rather this has a atmosphere based on this paper that came out today. http://arxiv.org/pdf/1608.07345.pdf
I heard some people just got out of a year simulation of living on Mars.

While usmb haters laugh and mock we will keep experimenting and advancing.

The only power they have is when they elect anti science Republicans

I cant wait! Yep, these kinds of people have always been this way and probably would of limited humanity to the tree's of eastern africa if they had their way. Thankfully, they very rarely have the levers of power to hold humanity back for more then a few centuries.

The Jim web telescope will be capable of answering our question on rather this has a atmosphere based on this paper that came out today. http://arxiv.org/pdf/1608.07345.pdf
Scientists Looking For Alien Life Investigate 'Interesting' Signal From Space

Do I understand you want to de-orbit Earth? The galaxy is full of rouge planets. Away and out of capture by any star's Goldie lock zone, these planets are dark and have the same temperature as the interstellar space, i.e. ~ 2 K = -271 C. That is 200 degrees colder than liquid nitrogen. This journey will need lots of winter coats.

Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
24 August 2016
Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star - Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
Astronomers using ESO telescopes and other facilities have found clear evidence of a planet orbiting the closest star to Earth, Proxima Centauri. The long-sought world, designated Proxima b, orbits its cool red parent star every 11 days and has a temperature suitable for liquid water to exist on its surface. This rocky world is a little more massive than the Earth and is the closest exoplanet to us — and it may also be the closest possible abode for life outside the Solar System. A paper describing this milestone finding will be published in the journal Nature on 25 August 2016.

Just over four light-years from the Solar System lies a red dwarf star that has been named Proxima Centauri as it is the closest star to Earth apart from the Sun. This cool star in the constellation of Centaurus is too faint to be seen with the unaided eye and lies near to the much brighter pair of stars known as Alpha Centauri AB.

During the first half of 2016 Proxima Centauri was regularly observed with the HARPS spectrograph on the ESO 3.6-metre telescope at La Silla in Chile and simultaneously monitored by other telescopes around the world [1]. This was the Pale Red Dot campaign, in which a team of astronomers led by Guillem Anglada-Escudé, from Queen Mary University of London, was looking for the tiny back and forth wobble of the star that would be caused by the gravitational pull of a possible orbiting planet [2].

Awesome and amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A earth like planet in the habital zone of our closes star!!!!!
Matthew, you vote for Democrats who hate NASA so we will never get to this planet, and it's your fault.

Do I understand you want to de-orbit Earth? The galaxy is full of rouge planets. Away and out of capture by any star's Goldie lock zone, these planets are dark and have the same temperature as the interstellar space, i.e. ~ 2 K = -271 C. That is 200 degrees colder than liquid nitrogen. This journey will need lots of winter coats.

Chilly to say the least. I figure we can task General Electric, Heating and Cooling Division, to take care of the comfort factors facing this venture since they will be along for the ride anyhow. On a serious note, if that is possible, your point is well taken. Feel free to contribute any time and should you wish you may head up the Environmental Division, of this mission. Assuming you are up to a 70,000 year mission. On the other hand, since an asteroid blind sided earth this past weekend as it was only detected the day before it zipped by and passed within a quarter of the distance to the moon, 60,000 miles, give or take, a 70,000 year mission may not be in the cards. If you have not heard about that incident yet, Google, August 28th near earth miss by asteroid. Mucho information on line in news reports, CBS,Fox and everyone else. Good talking to you, and have a nice day.

Chilly to say the least. I figure we can task General Electric, Heating and Cooling Division, to take care of the comfort factors facing this venture since they will be along for the ride anyhow. On a serious note, if that is possible, your point is well taken. Feel free to contribute any time and should you wish you may head up the Environmental Division, of this mission. Assuming you are up to a 70,000 year mission. On the other hand, since an asteroid blind sided earth this past weekend as it was only detected the day before it zipped by and passed within a quarter of the distance to the moon, 60,000 miles, give or take, a 70,000 year mission may not be in the cards. If you have not heard about that incident yet, Google, August 28th near earth miss by asteroid. Mucho information on line in news reports, CBS,Fox and everyone else. Good talking to you, and have a nice day.
Well, environmentally, all the plants will die in a few days for the darkness, and every animal too except maybe the ones that can hibernate. But can an animal hibernate forever? Anyway, I think we should check this with Satan. I recon that he will be okay with the darkness, but would have serious problems with the freezing part of the deal, unless GE offers him a really good discount.

24 August 2016
Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star - Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
Astronomers using ESO telescopes and other facilities have found clear evidence of a planet orbiting the closest star to Earth, Proxima Centauri. The long-sought world, designated Proxima b, orbits its cool red parent star every 11 days and has a temperature suitable for liquid water to exist on its surface. This rocky world is a little more massive than the Earth and is the closest exoplanet to us — and it may also be the closest possible abode for life outside the Solar System. A paper describing this milestone finding will be published in the journal Nature on 25 August 2016.

Just over four light-years from the Solar System lies a red dwarf star that has been named Proxima Centauri as it is the closest star to Earth apart from the Sun. This cool star in the constellation of Centaurus is too faint to be seen with the unaided eye and lies near to the much brighter pair of stars known as Alpha Centauri AB.

During the first half of 2016 Proxima Centauri was regularly observed with the HARPS spectrograph on the ESO 3.6-metre telescope at La Silla in Chile and simultaneously monitored by other telescopes around the world [1]. This was the Pale Red Dot campaign, in which a team of astronomers led by Guillem Anglada-Escudé, from Queen Mary University of London, was looking for the tiny back and forth wobble of the star that would be caused by the gravitational pull of a possible orbiting planet [2].

Awesome and amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A earth like planet in the habital zone of our closes star!!!!!
So what about the signal seti picked up from a star 95 light years away? A civilization that can do this are more advanced than us. They've better harnessed the energy of their host star.

They rank intelligence on the kardashev scale and they would rank higher than us. I'm glad they are 95 light years away.

Its not a matter of if but where and when will we find life elsewhere. And how smart is it. And can we live there?

24 August 2016

Matthew, you vote for Democrats who hate NASA so we will never get to this planet, and it's your fault.
Did you hear we detected a signal from 95 light years away? If that's a more advanced civilization, why did they bother first sending a signal? Could it be even for them 95 light years away is too far to travel in person?

24 August 2016

Did you hear we detected a signal from 95 light years away? If that's a more advanced civilization, why did they bother first sending a signal? Could it be even for them 95 light years away is too far to travel in person?
What message is contained in the signal?

24 August 2016

Phone home. Jk. It's saying hey look at us look what we can do

24 August 2016

Phone home. Jk. It's saying hey look at us look what we can do
So, you don't know.

If I was in charge of an alien planet, with a telescope powerful enough to observe the last 6,000 years of human history, I would outlaw all radio communications on my planet and do everything else I could to hide my planet from getting discovered by humans.

If I was in charge of an alien planet, with a telescope powerful enough to observe the last 6,000 years of human history, I would outlaw all radio communications on my planet and do everything else I could to hide my planet from getting discovered by humans.

Now THAT'S a possibility! lol

The reason humans will never discover other alien races is that they will do their utmost to avoid meeting us. We are a murderous, exploitive, genocidal race and any contacts we had with aliens would be extremely violent and an extinction event to the alien race involved. If any race of aliens do exist in the neighborhood, they will hide from us. If we go looking for them, they will have no choice but to exterminate us.

The reason humans will never discover other alien races is that they will do their utmost to avoid meeting us. We are a murderous, exploitive, genocidal race and any contacts we had with aliens would be extremely violent and an extinction event to the alien race involved. If any race of aliens do exist in the neighborhood, they will hide from us. If we go looking for them, they will have no choice but to exterminate us.

Well, if the Sumerians are to be believed, that's pretty much why they left.

Forum List

Back