🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Please critique my proposed policy to ensure an honest vote

As far as you know it won't be allowed into the system.

No, I know it won't be allowed.

In a previous election I requested a mail-in ballot and then decided to vote-in person. I had to turn over the mail-in ballot so the unique identifier could be accounted for.

Computer tracking systems have come a long way. Hell know you can track your ballot request through the whole process from requesting a ballot, it being mailed out, it being received, the returned ballot being processed by the USPS, the ballot being delivered the the Election Clerks office, and the ballot being counted.

WW

You probably signed the envelope containing the absentee ballot, but not the ballot itself. My ballots were always contained in an envelope, which was signed by me and then placed in an outer envelope for the postal system. My ballot could be verified by matching the signature to my voter registration signature. If it did not match, it was thrown out!

That is the way it should be done.

As to your multiple ballots, voter rolls should be annotated by your county clerk to show tat you voted. Any ballots after that would be thrown out as an attempt at fraud.

When I voted in person in my former state, my driver's license signature had to match the signature on the voter registration. This was always checked BEFORE I ever received a ballot at the polling precinct. No ID without a signature, no voting for you! There was a virtually foolproof system.
Photo ID is an absolute must for election integrity but too many, all or mostly Democrats, reject Photo ID saying it 'disenfranchises' people which is utterly ridiculous.

And yes, I signed the envelope that the ballot was mailed back in. The problem was I could have returned multiple ballots with different names had I been dishonest and/or anybody can forge anybody's name and there would not be time or personnel anywhere to detect those forgeries. That is why my proposed policy suggests that signatures going with absentee ballots be notarized and that they stay with the ballot in case a recount is needed. It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the election.

That is correct. Therefore show PROOF of identify with a certified photo ID at the polling place when you sign in and if you vote absentee have your signature notarized.

Signature matching isn't done at the polling place. I hand them my ID, I state my name and address, they check me into the system, print out a approval label that I take over to another table to get a ballot, then vote.

No signature provided.

WW

During the pandemic, I needed a medical power of attorney notarized. It took me almost 6 months to find someone to do it. It is not as easy as it sounds.
I didn't say it was easy. But I do believe it is necessary. Every bank in the country has a notary on premises. Every law office. And there are also many others.

I am sorry that you have issues with motor skills, but most humans can do it, baring some type of illness. I have an aunt that is 100 years old. Her handwriting has never changed.
Well good for you. And I apologize for my terrible motor skills. Such is life.

I love the way we do it in Canada. When I file my Federal income tax, there's a check box authorizing the CRA to share my information with Election Canada, the independent body overseeing Federal elections. They in turn share with the Provincial election body. Unless I moved between filing and election day, I'm registered to the correct address.
That sounds great!

When I registered to vote in my new state, I used the motor-voter system. That way they had my verified current address for the purpose of registering me. I just received my voter registration in the mail in a few weeks, and that was delayed because they could not issue it before the local primary election.

I didn't say it was easy. But I do believe it is necessary. Every bank in the country has a notary on premises. Every law office. And there are also many others.
My bank was not willing to do notary services during the pandemic. My credit union which I used primarily was 3 states away.

Photo ID is an absolute must for election integrity but too many, all or mostly Democrats, reject Photo ID saying it 'disenfranchises' people which is utterly ridiculous.

And yes, I signed the envelope that the ballot was mailed back in. The problem was I could have returned multiple ballots with different names had I been dishonest and/or anybody can forge anybody's name and there would not be time or personnel anywhere to detect those forgeries. That is why my proposed policy suggests that signatures going with absentee ballots be notarized and that they stay with the ballot in case a recount is needed. It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the election.

Regarding: "It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the election." as it pertains to mail-in voting.

That is your opinion, that is not the only way. Now I agree, that signature only is a poor stand alone method. But there is also adding two factor authentication as a factor in the process.

WW

No, I know it won't be allowed.

In a previous election I requested a mail-in ballot and then decided to vote-in person. I had to turn over the mail-in ballot so the unique identifier could be accounted for.

Computer tracking systems have come a long way. Hell know you can track your ballot request through the whole process from requesting a ballot, it being mailed out, it being received, the returned ballot being processed by the USPS, the ballot being delivered the the Election Clerks office, and the ballot being counted.

WW
You trust computers more than most of us do. I want everybody to be able to trust the system.

My bank was not willing to do notary services during the pandemic.

That and notaries charge for their services.

(Now when I was voting overseas, I seem to remember in the 80's having to have my mail-in ballot notarized. The Squadron Legal Officer did it for us no charge.)

WW

Regarding: "It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the election." as it pertains to mail-in voting.

That is your opinion, that is not the only way. Now I agree, that signature only is a poor stand alone method. But there is also adding two factor authentication as a factor in the process.

WW
If you don't like my proposed policy, offer your own.

That and notaries charge for their services.

(Now when I was voting overseas, I seem to remember in the 80's having to have my mail-in ballot notarized. The Squadron Legal Officer did it for us no charge.)

WW
Very true. I believe the rule is any officer O-4 and above could witness your ballot as a notary.

We already have an honest vote

Show any US elections that have been fixed
I’m in cybersecurity so I take a vulnerability and risk assessment perspective in the voting policies, process, and infrastructure. Our voting system is replete with vulnerabilities that need to be addressed as outlined in the OP proposal.

Very true. I believe the rule is any officer O-4 and above could witness your ballot as a notary.

In general you are correct. There are some additional authorizations for people in specific rolls. For example our Squadron Legal Officer was always an O-3, but he could still to notaries since he was the SLO.

WW

In general you are correct. There are some additional authorizations for people in specific rolls. For example our Squadron Legal Officer was always an O-3, but he could still to notaries since he was the SLO.

WW
Yeah, we didn't have those types.

What types of rolls are we talking? Crescent, Kaiser, onion, dinner, sub, hamburger, French, hoagie, Italian, sweet, etc. :abgg2q.jpg:

Decades ago there was cheating and hanky panky in elections, but never did we have an electorate as suspicious and convinced of malfeasance or as fearful that elections can be stolen as we have now. Without faith that elections are fair and honest, it is unlikely that our constitutional republic will survive.

So I propose what I believe is a system/policy that, if implemented, will ensure roughly 99.9% honest and fair elections. Do you agree? If not please state your reason why it would be bad policy.

PHOTO ID:
Any person who is unable to secure a certified Driver's License w/photo or other valid photo ID may provide proof of citizenship and residence and apply for a free photo ID in the city or county where the person resides.

All U.S. citizens who are not felons and who are sufficiently mentally competent to register to vote via their own intentional effort should go to the city or county clerk's office where they reside and:
1. Provide certified photo ID, proof of citizenship, proof of home residency, proof of age.
2. Anyone who moves out of his/her precinct must re-register in order to be allowed to vote.
3. Voter registration must be done 2 to 6 weeks prior to the election so that the person can be added to the official voter rolls.
4. Any person not voting in either the primary or general election in any given election year will be dropped from the voter rolls and must re-register to vote.
5. Some provision will be made for those who otherwise qualify but cannot physically go to the city or county clerk's office to register but the registration must be taken by a person with the city or county clerk's office.
5. Anyone falsifying his/her voter registration or knowingly accepting or creating fake registrations is subject to prosecution for a felony offense and, if convicted, will be subject to fine and/or imprisonment.

ELECTIONS:
1. All persons physically able must go to the polls in their assigned precinct personally and present positive certified photo ID and certify under oath that they live at the address shown on their voter registration. Early voting if allowed in any state may not exceed ten days prior to election day and must include all safeguards in place on election day.
2. Those who must or need to vote absentee will apply for an absentee ballot with a signed and notarized application.
3. The completed absentee ballot must be delivered to the precinct polling location no later than the close of the polls on election day. No ballots will be accepted from any source after the polls close. Every absentee ballot should be able to be matched with a notarized application for the ballot. No person having been issued an absentee ballot may vote by any means other than that absentee ballot.
4. Anyone voting in somebody else's name or hindering the timely delivery of absentee ballots to the polling place or discouraging or hindering people's ability to get to the polls will be subject to prosecution for a felony with penalties fines and/or imprisonment.
5. Only properly registered persons living within the United States and/or its territories are eligible to vote.

COUNTING THE VOTE:
1. All interested parties must be allowed to have representatives present and able to observe the counting process. Those representatives must be allowed to remain until the counting is completed and will be given a certified document verifying what the final count is.
2. All ballots will be via paper ballots and hand counted. Counting will continue without interruption, even if people have to be replaced, until all ballots are counted and the results provided to the city or county officials as well as to the poll watchers.

Recognizing that for every rule, there can be necessary exceptions for truly valid reasons such as natural disasters or whatever, the above should insure that never again will any person have to wonder whether an election was stolen.
Your plan will certainly reduce voter turnout. I question whether the lost in voter partisipation in elections is worth assuring a minority of voters who happen to be almost all republicans that our elections are free of election fraud.

Forum List

Back