President Trump nixes federal workers pay raises,leftists lose their minds

I too would cut across the board until it hurts, then cut a bit more.
The military/police/fire is an necessary, Civilian federal employees are not necessary.
The private sector can do everything better, more efficient and are far less corrupt

Much too broad of a statement.

When I was a young Staff Sergeant running a Flight Clarence section for MCAS Yuma we "privatized" much of the base services to civilians. Not only was the service far worse, it cost more.

One afternoon our Base Operations frequency went down, it is required by FAA regulations. I called the proper people to get it fixed, but seeing as it was almost 1600, I was told the Base CO would have to approve the OT if I wanted it fixed. Thus I spent the next 30 minutes tracking him down to get his approval. While this was happening the technician as sitting in his office making overtime, but not working...just waiting for my response. In the end it took 15 minutes to fix and the man got an hour of overtime. And his salary was more than 40% above the Marine that used to do the job.
So basically what you’re saying in the civilian federal government is not too large... lol
Exactly. Because we all know Libertarians love the bloated government lol
The nanny state needs an oversized, overbearing federal government to cover up it’s total Incompetence....

At least there is one person in DC who notices what W and O have done to the US Federal balance sheet.

Thank you, Mr. Prez, for putting patriotism over using the US taxpayer's money to buy favors for your side, which is what O did for 8 years.

...I'm saying federal wages are far more than their counterparts in the public arena...
And I am saying that you are wrong.

Here is a link to the 2018 US Federal Government General Schedule for Pay, with Locality adjustments for the Washington, DC area...

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/18Tables/html/DCB.aspx

...Ex: basic office employees in the IRS,SS and Welfare office's make between 48 - 80k a year. Which is double to triple the wages of the private sector. Then you add in benefits,bonuses etc.
Most clerical staff in the Federal government are at the GS-4 through GS-6 levels.

And the locality-specific pay scale that I chose to serve-up as a concrete example is 22% higher than the OPM base; adjusted for the high cost of living in D.C.
"Employees for the federal government earn far more than their counterparts in the private sector, according to a new study by the Cato Institute.

Federal workers’ pay and benefits were 78 percent higher than private employees, who earned an average of $52,688 less than public sector workers last year."

Study conducted 2015
The CATO Institute? That bastion of Libertarian Fantasies? Uhhhhh... yeah.... now... go spec-out the average clerical position in the private sector in the DC area, and then go compare that against the DC-locality-adjusted pay-scale for a GS-4 or -5 or -6, and you tell us what the differences are, eh? ( nice try at a quick snapshot Google, though, I'll grant ya that )

...You're lost in the 70's. Very few companies allow you to retire with a pension in 25 or 30 years. That was basically an old union thing. Today, government is just about the only entity that still has union workers..
True.

...There is nothing wrong with people who get to retire early and take on another job in good economic times. However in bad times, that's one less job available for somebody else.
Sounds like you're nudging dangerously-close to the government deciding who gets to draw a pension and hold a job simultaneously.

Laissez faire, yes?

So long as your (side's) Corporate Robber Barons get to rape the economy and exploit the American worker...

I'm not going to begrudge the occasional agency-jumper who puts in 25-30 years in one place, then serves equally well in a second.

In large part, we see that most frequently with veterans who have honorably served for a couple of decades before moving on.

I have no intention of telling such public servants that they can't have two careers back-to-back.

I doubt that any sane politician worth his-or-her salt is going to do that either; terrible optics, if nothing else.

Last edited:
I too would cut across the board until it hurts, then cut a bit more.
The military/police/fire is an necessary, Civilian federal employees are not necessary.
The private sector can do everything better, more efficient and are far less corrupt

Much too broad of a statement.

When I was a young Staff Sergeant running a Flight Clarence section for MCAS Yuma we "privatized" much of the base services to civilians. Not only was the service far worse, it cost more.

One afternoon our Base Operations frequency went down, it is required by FAA regulations. I called the proper people to get it fixed, but seeing as it was almost 1600, I was told the Base CO would have to approve the OT if I wanted it fixed. Thus I spent the next 30 minutes tracking him down to get his approval. While this was happening the technician as sitting in his office making overtime, but not working...just waiting for my response. In the end it took 15 minutes to fix and the man got an hour of overtime. And his salary was more than 40% above the Marine that used to do the job.
So basically what you’re saying in the civilian federal government is not too large... lol
Exactly. Because we all know Libertarians love the bloated government lol

I am the only one here that has presented a plan for making the Fed Govt smaller. All of you statist just blather on without a solution. Typical of those that rely on the government for their every thought.

Let's have a 4% across the board Federal layoff. Trim the fat first, then we can talk about raises for those that make the cut.

I say 10% over three years. Let each agency choose how to implement it and do it over 3 years to avoid harming the economy. This include the Military as well.

Always good to hear I’ve “lost my mind” especially on something I have not heard about… Hope it doesn’t include the military; we can’t pay those folks enough.

No, in the OP, it's clearly stated that it doesn't include the military.

What the OP didn't say is how much it will save taxpayers. I heard on the Michael Medved show it would save us 38 billion dollars. That's a lot of hotdogs.

The Dems cry about the raises, but ignore the fact this is something many Americans face every year in the private sector. If a company is in the hole, they don't give out raises. WTF should our government not stick to those standards as well? It's not like we have a surplus in our budget or something.

Why not include the military? They are fed employees.

Let's have a 4% across the board Federal layoff. Trim the fat first, then we can talk about raises for those that make the cut.
OK, so long as we can start by cutting 4% of White House staff, and 4% of Trump appointees... done... deal.

Trump already beat you to it.

Over $20 million in taxpayer funds could be saved at the end of President Donald Trump’s first term in office due to his leaner White House operation.

A new report on the White House office personnel revealed that Trump has a significantly smaller staff than his predecessor did at this time, according to an analysis by Open the Books, a government watchdog organization that focuses on spending.

Trump White House Has Smaller Staff, Spends Less on Salaries Than Obama White House

Private sector takes penalties from the federal government for retiring early and cashing in their 401k's.
You did not answer the question, but I expected that.
Double dipping is unethical and shady. The federal and state governments give the private sectors penalties for such. Why is it then okay for government to practice it?

Always good to hear I’ve “lost my mind” especially on something I have not heard about… Hope it doesn’t include the military; we can’t pay those folks enough.

No, in the OP, it's clearly stated that it doesn't include the military.

What the OP didn't say is how much it will save taxpayers. I heard on the Michael Medved show it would save us 38 billion dollars. That's a lot of hotdogs.

The Dems cry about the raises, but ignore the fact this is something many Americans face every year in the private sector. If a company is in the hole, they don't give out raises. WTF should our government not stick to those standards as well? It's not like we have a surplus in our budget or something.

Why not include the military? They are fed employees.

Because then the would give leftist losers ammo to attack Trump.

Private sector takes penalties from the federal government for retiring early and cashing in their 401k's.
Double dipping is unethical and shady. The federal and state governments give the private sectors penalties for such. Why is it then okay for government to practice it?

There are more than 600,000 veterans in the Fed Govt, you really should be complaining to your elected officials about them double dipping.

Sounds like you're nudging dangerously-close to the government deciding who gets to draw a pension and hold a job simultaneously.

Laissez faire, yes?

I don't know how you got that out of my comment. I just think that we taxpayers should expect the same thing out of our government workers that we live with for ourselves. If you can retire at 50 or 55 in the private sectors with pension and medical benefits, fine with me. The company is willing to give you that. But as a taxpayer, I don't want government workers to be able to retire ten years earlier than me because I'm one of the people paying for it. That is outside of our military of course.

So when we talk about pay freezes, I really have little sympathy. Because I'm sure there are a lot of working people in the private sector that would love to retire at 55 or earlier and would trade jobs with them any day of the week.

There are more than 600,000 veterans in the Fed Govt, you really should be complaining to your elected officials about them double dipping.
Actually Federal employees..Just like the private sector should receive a 15 to 25 % penalty for receiving retirement money early. They see it and use it as compensation. Not retirement benefits.

Forum List

Back