Putting the Catholic Church in my rear view window...

I met someone last night.

It was our first date, but something clicked between us and I think she may be the person I spend the rest of my life with.

But, even if it doesn't end up being her, someone will come along eventually because I'm on three dating services and I'm searching very diligently because I hate being alone.

So, it's time to put the Catholic Church in my rear view window.

Now you can say, get an annulment. The Catholic Church offers that.

But I think it's total bullshit to ask the Catholic Church to say I wasn't really married to a woman I spent thirty years with and is the mother of my three children.

I looked into the Episcopalians.

Being an Episcopalian would be like going to a church that looks Catholic in every way, except the priests don't really care if you even believe in God so long as you put money in the basket.

Or I could just not go to any church on Sunday and work things out just between me and God.

Please don't come on this thread and tell me this isn't really a problem.

It's a problem for me.

I've been Catholic all my life and giving up Catholicism would be worse than giving up my right arm.
Well it sounds as if you have made your choice and have come on here only for possible support or condemnation to further torture yourself with guilt as I've seen many Catholics do.

But your belief that the Catholic church is the ONLY true church I think is misguided, especially because the church of Christ flourished for hundreds of years prior to the Catholic church even existing. You should instead focus on the words of Christ which prompted Martin Luther to call out heresy within the church.

I believe the sanctity of marriage is predicated on the splitting of spirit into it's male and female halves. That there is only spirit. That spirit contains the essence of femininity and masculinity. And that male and female halves only exist apart in the material world. That marriage is the joining of the two halves that were split apart. Maybe if more people understood this there would be less bad marriages in the first place.

I believe the sanctity of marriage is predicated on the splitting of spirit into it's male and female halves. That there is only spirit. That spirit contains the essence of femininity and masculinity. And that male and female halves only exist apart in the material world. That marriage is the joining of the two halves that were split apart. Maybe if more people understood this there would be less bad marriages in the first place.

I agree - but nevertheless grey are all theories. I am a so called "remarried Catholic". To leave my first wife was necessary, the divorce unevitable - and to find my second wife was a wonder. She had been in a very similiar situation than I had been and so we did not need many words to understand each other, although we are both chatterboxes.

But you'd have to find 2 halves that fit, that's why a lot of marriages fail. Well, that and the fact that most everyone is a fucking idiot.

I agree - but nevertheless grey are all theories. I am a so called "remarried Catholic". To leave my first wife was necessary, the divorce unevitable - and to find my second wife was a wonder. She had been in a very similiar situation than I had been and so we did not need many words to understand each other, although we are both chatterboxes.
I make no judgments either way.

To believe some of these things that you have to believe that the Catholic Church is the supreme arbiter of your relationship with God.

It isn't. It is an organization made of people and nothing else and that organization is deeply flawed, to say the least. Your relationship with God is not dependent on your relationship with the Church. They're a middle man, at best and a very self-serving entity at worst.

Just my personal opinion on that, of course. They completely lost any respect I had for them after the pedo revelations and that will never return.

Good luck with your decision.

CHRIST died because HE gave up HIS life HIMSELF. No one took it from HIM.
Go too far with that and you have Christ killing himself. Several played a role in his death. Jesus knew his message would be unwelcome by some. It did not stop him from presenting it even though it led to his death. It was his gift to all.

One is first drawn towards becoming a disciple. One doesn't become a disciple and then is drawn. Yes, once an individual makes the choice to trust CHRIST, then one is changed and goes through a metamorphosis that is an ongoing process initiated by the HOLY SPIRIT towards becoming more in-tune with CHRIST. The work for man isn't the salvation process. The work is the faith and that is spurred on by the HOLY SPIRIT. This is why one cannot lose his salvation once he acquires it. What he can lose is his spiritual growth and the heavenly rewards such accumulates through that maturing process.
My point is that discipleship, by definition, involves action.

Are you on new meds? :biggrin:

When was the last time you felt obligated to bow and kiss the ring of a servant? A bit ironic isn't it?
Sorry, never kissed a ring. Besides, it is not a belonging of the wearer. It represents the message, and you know what that message is. Symbolism.

¿Judgement?

the truth is the events of the 1st century were not the - selfishness as described - through (legaly bound) marriage but the liberation of the individual from those very artificial constraints as the life of that individual they wrote about exemplified but misconstrued in their book. as well misrepresented through the centuries. and oddly the reverse concern of the o p and their thread.

from the 1st century, there would never be a legal document only spiritual consent between couples for their duration without bounds.

Christ died because he was ratted out. Now you know.
He died because a certain number wanted him dead. The question is, Why did they want him dead? He certainly wasn't ratted out because he had a talent for telling great parables. Telling parables wasn't why anyone wanted him gone.
Jesus was ratted on then crucified by the Romans. He didn't do any of that himself
HE knew it was coming and who would be involved.

Christ died because he was ratted out. Now you know.
He died because a certain number wanted him dead. The question is, Why did they want him dead? He certainly wasn't ratted out because he had a talent for telling great parables. Telling parables wasn't why anyone wanted him gone.
Jesus was ratted on then crucified by the Romans. He didn't do any of that himself
HE knew it was coming and who would be involved.
Did he know that they were going to nail him to wood with his shlong hanging out? Because they didn't have the diaper thing he is always shown with.

Are you on new meds? :biggrin:
So you want me to judge :dunno:

¿Judgement?
Yes.

Forum List

Back