🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Zone1 Question for scholars and students.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
How do you get "snake, serpent" and "upon your belly" from the Hebrew root words?

Last edited:
How do you get "snake, serpent" and "upon your belly" from the Hebrew root words?
First of all, I don't know. I cannot quite grasp the more in depth meanings may be conveying and are beyond my understanding.

I have read that God created the Serpent (sea monster is the English interpretation) first. In this we see God's dominion over the Serpent. The Snake seems to intertwine with listening attentively, learning, and apparently 'omen'.

There are two different Hebrew words for serpent and snake. In Exodus Moses/Aaron staff turns into a serpent that gobbles up the that the Egyptian's staff had turned into a snake.
The English uses 'snake' for both, but apparently the Hebrew uses the two separate words.

Apparently, the Serpent calls to mind the God's rule over the entire cosmos, while the snake calls to mind the creation that arose from the Earth. When the Serpent swallows the Snake (in Exodus) it shows to the Egyptians God's dominion over the Earth.

As for the snake crawling on its belly, some seem to see it as a symbol of the snake being confined to the earth, and separated from the cosmos.

I imagine there are other lessons/interpretations. A person of the Jewish faith probably has so much more insight and information, and I hope this can be taught in your thread. I waited a day so I wouldn't take things in an entirely different direction do to how little I do know/remember about this topic. Good luck!

First of all, I don't know. I cannot quite grasp the more in depth meanings may be conveying and are beyond my understanding.

I have read that God created the Serpent (sea monster is the English interpretation) first. In this we see God's dominion over the Serpent. The Snake seems to intertwine with listening attentively, learning, and apparently 'omen'.

There are two different Hebrew words for serpent and snake. In Exodus Moses/Aaron staff turns into a serpent that gobbles up the that the Egyptian's staff had turned into a snake.
The English uses 'snake' for both, but apparently the Hebrew uses the two separate words.

Apparently, the Serpent calls to mind the God's rule over the entire cosmos, while the snake calls to mind the creation that arose from the Earth. When the Serpent swallows the Snake (in Exodus) it shows to the Egyptians God's dominion over the Earth.

As for the snake crawling on its belly, some seem to see it as a symbol of the snake being confined to the earth, and separated from the cosmos.

I imagine there are other lessons/interpretations. A person of the Jewish faith probably has so much more insight and information, and I hope this can be taught in your thread. I waited a day so I wouldn't take things in an entirely different direction do to how little I do know/remember about this topic. Good luck!
Thanks for your interest. I waited too for a serious response.

The Hebrew root words for both snake and go on your belly do not support those translations and thus don't support the interpretation picturing a talking snake that is condemned to go on its belly, eating dirt.

I will wait a little longer for other serious responses before I offer my interpretation.

Serpent, nāḥāš, from nāḥaš, to hiss, or whisper.

John of Patmos harkens to this satan in 20:2 as ophis, an artful and malicious person.

"On your belly you shall go" is irrelevant, I think. That comes after the fact of the snake's existence. Or maybe it's metaphorical in that deceitful people crawl on their bellies, sneaking into places they don't belong.

the purpose is not for textural interpretations as a remedy for the correctness of the heavenly path to the everlasting - rather the correct text is made for the proper interpretation ... in which case obviously the moses story of paradise is flawed and never happened.

- could that be the subtle reason for the o p.

as a&e chose self detrmination for their admission as equals to the heavens and were set by the heavens on their journey for that purpose.

the purpose is not for textural interpretations as a remedy for the correctness of the heavenly path to the everlasting - rather the correct text is made for the proper interpretation ... in which case obviously the moses story of paradise is flawed and never happened.

- could that be the subtle reason for the o p.

as a&e chose self detrmination for their admission as equals to the heavens and were set by the heavens on their journey for that purpose.
The events in the garden were a reenactment of previous events and a rehearsal of things to come.

John of Patmos harkens to this satan in 20:2 as ophis, an artful and malicious person.

"On your belly you shall go" is irrelevant, I think. That comes after the fact of the snake's existence. Or maybe it's metaphorical in that deceitful people crawl on their bellies, sneaking into places they don't belong.

Serpent or snake is an anthropomorphism and an unfair one at that.
On your belly you shall go, and, you shall eat dirt, are vital to understanding who and what this being was.

Nachash: generic Hebrew name for any serpent. When translated into Greek (Konie)....i.e, the "Septuagint".....the term changes to "herpeton".........literally meaning any Creeping Reptile. Thus the "upon your belly". The Hebrews used the Septuagint Translation themselves between the 3rd and 1st century BC, because the original Hebrew language was quickly becoming a dead language to many......and the Rabbi/teachers/scholars did not want God's name to be taken in vain.......thus, God because Lord...another generic term for He that rules. I prefer..........I AM as that is how the Lord identified Himself to Moses. Meaning what? Men and their traditions place more importance on names and titles than does the Lord....the Lord simply said, ".......tell them that I AM sent you........" -- Ex. 3:14

Jesus Christ in the N.T often quoted the Law and the Prophets from the Septuagint translation.

As the Christ declared. "Why attempt to swallow camel and then coke on a gnat........." Much ado about nothing. If its important and changes the content by this small contextual argument........you need to prove that the Chapter loses its truth if this one term is misapplied because the original Hebrew text used a different type of alphabet and there are no vowels in the Torah. Actually the content, and subject matter self defines the context, et., al., Read the entire chapter and explain how its truth is changed because SNAKE, SERPENT, REPTILE is removing any truth from the original language.

Last edited:
What? The God of creation who spoke reality into existence from nothing.......is not capable of explaining a talking reptile?

God declared in scripture that this snake/reptile/fallen angel............is the god of this world (2 Cor. 4:4) And his greatest weapon is deceit, as he is the father of the original lie, "...go ahead and eat from the tree of forbidden knowledge.....you will not surely die, you will become LIKE GOD........" -- Genesis 3:4-5, John 8:44

Nachash: generic Hebrew name for any serpent. When translated into Greek (Konie)....i.e, the "Septuagint".....the term changes to "herpeton".........literally meaning any Creeping Reptile. Thus the "upon your belly". The Hebrews used the Septuagint Translation themselves between the 3rd and 1st century BC, because the original Hebrew language was quickly becoming a dead language to many......and the Rabbi/teachers/scholars did not want God's name to be taken in vain.......thus, God because Lord...another generic term for He that rules. I prefer..........I AM as that is how the Lord identified Himself to Moses. Meaning what? Men and their traditions place more importance on names and titles than does the Lord....the Lord simply said, ".......tell them that I AM sent you........" -- Ex. 3:14

Jesus Christ in the N.T often quoted the Law and the Prophets from the Septuagint translation.

As the Christ declared. "Why attempt to swallow camel and then coke on a gnat........." Much ado about nothing. If its important and changes the content by this small contextual argument........you need to prove that the Chapter loses its truth if this one term is misapplied because the original Hebrew text used a different type of alphabet and there are no vowels in the Torah. Actually the content, and subject matter self defines the context, et., al., Read the entire chapter and explain how its truth is changed because SNAKE, SERPENT, REPTILE is removing any truth from the original language.
The snake of Genesis is a literary invention, an anthropomorphism, based on only one of several meanings of the root word, none of which suggests a snake.

Because a snake was falsely envisioned the phrase go upon your belly is also a mistranslation to support the notion of a snake. The root words/phrases don't support this either. But the clincher is you shall eat dirt. Snakes don't deliberately eat dirt.

The truth is earth shattering and would turn Christianity, and Judaism, on its head. Ironically, I believe that Islam is well aware of the true meaning. Why they don't reveal it is puzzling.

The truth is also more mysterious than the traditional belief (Imo, of course).

Last edited:
God said he would put enmity between the descendants of Eve and the descendants of the 'serpent'. This can be seen early on between Sarah and Hagar. I don't think Hagar descended from a snake. This is also where the enmity between Gods soon to be chosen people and Satan's people began and has continued to this very day.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back