Quick: Name a "Democracy"

You're denying the existence of Jeffersonian Democracy, as a principle? As a guiding principle for Jefferson, one of our founders, and all who have then and since agreed with him?

lol

No. I'm saying that our form of government is a republic. It is termed as such in the Constitution, and that's how it will remain. Elections are something akin to a representative democracy. The two work hand in hand to temper one another.

dimocraps can't get past 'informal logic' fallacies.

All Republics are democracies.

Therefore, all democracies must be Republics.

Which of those statements is false.

Which of those statements are true.

Are both false.

Or, are both true.

crazy clown time

That is so much nonsense. You talk as though the Constitution came out of nowhere. The Constitution was ratified by majority votes.

Slavery could be brought back by amending the Constitution. All it would take would be large enough majorities to make the amendments. The minority in that case would be powerless to say otherwise.

It was by majority, not minority, action that slavery was abolished in the first place.

The majority establishes the rights of the minorities.

“All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression.”

-Thomas Jefferson in his first inaugural address, March 4, 1801

And next you'll want to tell me that Jefferson above is NOT the Jefferson referred to in the very widely used term, and concept:

"Jeffersonian Democracy"

or is it??

lol checkmate.

That was the name of his Political Party, not the form of government.

In a Republic, each individual has rights.

In a democracy, 51% beats 49% and the minority has only those privileges granted by the majority.

In a Republic, the Individual is sovereign. In a democracy, only the group has sovereignty.

In a Republic, the group has only advisory capacities and the sovereign individual is free to reject the majority group-think.

Ergo, Republicans believe in individuality. dimocraps are, well... They're dimocraps

Sad how so many Conservatives make up definitions for what a Republic is.

A Republic is a nation without a monarchy.

That's all folks.

Sad how so many Conservatives make up definitions for what a Republic is.

A Republic is a nation without a monarchy.

That's all folks.

So the USA and Nazi Germany had the same form government?

Interesting

In a democracy, 51% beats 49% and the minority has only those privileges granted by the majority.

In a Republic, the Individual is sovereign. In a democracy, only the group has sovereignty.

In a Republic, the group has only advisory capacities and the sovereign individual is free to reject the majority group-think.

Ergo, Republicans believe in individuality. dimocraps are, well... They're dimocraps

Every minority right in this country that is legally protected is so because majority made it so.

The slaves did not free themselves. It took majority rule to declare them free under the law.

Every minority right in this country that is legally protected is so because majority made it so.

The slaves did not free themselves. It took majority rule to declare them free under the law.

I apologize for picking on you.

Clearly, you are handicapped

You're denying the existence of Jeffersonian Democracy, as a principle? As a guiding principle for Jefferson, one of our founders, and all who have then and since agreed with him?

lol

No. I'm saying that our form of government is a republic. It is termed as such in the Constitution, and that's how it will remain. Elections are something akin to a representative democracy. The two work hand in hand to temper one another.

Since you're willing to cite wikipedia, so am I:

A democratic republic is a country that is both a republic and a democracy.

Democratic republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feel free to prove that definition invalid.

lol

Sure.

Article 4 Section 4 of the US Constitution

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

So many quote Thomas Jefferson and think that we are a Democracy when we are not.
But they never quote him about this ;

Thomas Jefferson's 1st Inaugural address 1801
I know, indeed, that some honest men fear that a republican government can not be strong, that this Government is not strong enough; but would the honest patriot, in the full tide of successful experiment, abandon a government which has so far kept us free and firm on the theoretic and visionary fear that this Government, the world's best hope, may by possibility want energy to preserve itself? I trust not.

I apologize for picking on you.

Clearly, you are handicapped

If the Constitution is what makes us NOT a democracy, because it protects minorities from the majority...

1. why was slavery legal for the first 80 years of our constitutional republic?

2. why were women denied the right to vote for the first 130 years of our constitutional republic?

Sure.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

Your post proves nothing because you cannot prove that democracy and republic are mutually exclusive.

As long as it remains unrefuted that a nation can exist as both a democracy and a republic,

you have lost this argument.

"“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.”

-Theodore Roosevelt

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of The United States of America, and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

-Pledge of Allegiance

Last edited:

Sure.

Your post proves nothing because you cannot prove that democracy and republic are mutually exclusive.

As long as it remains unrefuted that a nation can exist as both a democracy and a republic,

I didn't lose anything, Carbine. The founders acknowledged the existence of a Republic when they drafted the Constitution.

More acknowledgements of this being a Republic:

“The future of this republic is in the hands of the American voter”

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"“That book [Bible], sir, is the rock on which our republic rests.”

-Andrew Jackson

“A democracy is as really a republic as on oak a tree, or a temple a building”

-John Adams

“Our constitution works. Our great republic is a government of laws, not of men.”

-Gerald R. Ford

“The hopes of the Republic cannot forever tolerate either undeserved poverty or self-serving wealth.”

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited:
It is because we are a Constitutional Republic , where minorities have rights, that the South had the power to keep slavery legal.
8% of American Families owned slaves, 92% did not.

It was also our Republican form of government that Women eventually was able to get the right to vote though our right to petition the government for redress of grievances.

Sure.

I didn't lose anything, Carbine. The founders acknowledged the existence of a Republic when they drafted the Constitution.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

-Andrew Jackson

-John Adams

“Our constitution works. Our great republic is a government of laws, not of men.”

-Gerald R. Ford

“The hopes of the Republic cannot forever tolerate either undeserved poverty or self-serving wealth.”

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

All these quotes you're posting to supposedly prove your point are useless because they are dependent on the absolutely false premise that a republic cannot be a democracy.

That is simply wrong.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

-Andrew Jackson

-John Adams

-Gerald R. Ford

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

All these quotes you're posting to supposedly prove your point are useless because they are dependent on the absolutely false premise that a republic cannot be a democracy.

That is simply wrong.

You say it's wrong, but you cannot prove me wrong. Come on, hotshot, you were all balls just a few minutes ago.

Forum List

Back