Racist groups vs Free Speech, i've converted...

It's been a crazy week and i've engaged in many heated discussions about the events of Charlottesville. I have to admit that i've been greatly conflicted about my anti-racist feelings and my support of free speech. I flirted dangerously close in many discussions to promoting the shutdown of speech for white supremacist groups. I saw them as threats, conveyers of hate speech and given their history which has resulted in millions of deaths I was ok with suppressing their speech and shutting down their causes by whatever means necessary. But, I've had a change of heart.

I think we can be smarter than that and not empower these assholes to strip us of our freedoms. It is a slippery slope once you start suppressing speech. We have legal censorship in a variety of areas which i'm fine with, but shutting down groups from holding rallies, having websites and protesting is only going to lead to bad things. Note that I in no way support any provocation of violence or destruction resulting from rallies or protests. If that happens then shut them down immediately and make arrests.

I would promote fighting these douchebags by ignoring them and minimizing them in a SMART way. Don't lower yourself to fight with them and fuel their cause. Take away their statues and flags that empower them in public forums and show them that our communities outright reject their hateful views. Or construct monuments and statues of civil rights leaders next to the confederate statues and tell the story about how we prevailed and fought agains their hate, and WE WON. Ignore their rallies and don't give them the exposure or attention that they crave. Speak louder and stronger for equality.

I still think that the Presidents comments that minimized the ugliness of the Nazi's and White Supremacists were wildly inappropriate. He tried to spread the blame to the left for the anti-protests and it deluded his message of condemnation that should have been crystal clear in opposition of the hate groups. He should have spread the message in a better way to fight against it. I don't want to relitigate Trumps actions in this OP but I did want to share my change of opinion and open up a discussion about productive ways to move forward that combats the hate and preserves our right of free speech.

by taking down those statues and removing those flags you are basically playing into their persecution complex and giving them nothing but fodder for recruiting more people to their cause.

There is no reason to remove statues or monuments other than some people just feel a sense of butt hurt when they think or look at them. It's the same revulsion I feel when i walk past some nimrod with a Che shirt on. However I don't feel a need to rip the shirt off or yell at them about it. I sneer, shake my head, and KEEP WALKING.
I disagree, that might be the short term play that they will attempt to capitalize on but in the long term it is removing a source of power and supremacy that exists. Many of those statues were constructed during the Jim Crow era as a check to the blacks that the values of the confederacy still exist. Like I said in the OP whether you take them down or minimize them with "counter" statues of civil rights leaders, I think either is a smart move to combat the hate.

Nazi Palousey has been walking by confederate statues in Statuary Hall every day for 30 years and just this week is suddenly concerned about removing them. Here's a couple of little known facts about slavery. The first person to have the supreme court commit him to a life time of servitude was black and his master was also black. 47% of slave owners in SC at the start of the civil war were black. Whites, indians and blacks were slaves in the us. So to portray it as a simple black/white issue is absurd. BTW who would be required to pay reparations on behalf of the black slave owners? Hummmmmmmm.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are ranting about. What's your point

My point, is all confederates weren't white and the commiecrat leadership is practicing dead fishes mantra, never let a crisis go to waste. It's all political theater. Our history is our history, it belongs to everyone who claims to be Americans. I heard an other interesting factoid tonight on a radio interview. Do you know 67 colleges don't even require American History studies to get a degree in history? It's not being taught K-12 and it's not taught in colleges, should Americans really have to go to museums to learn their history?
Who cares what color confederates were, how is that relevant? They were a group that waged war on our country and tried to succeed over the issue of slavery. What more needs to be said. Why do we need to have so many statues celebrating their generals? It is pretty obvious that they were erected during Jim Crow to remind the blacks who takes priority.

by taking down those statues and removing those flags you are basically playing into their persecution complex and giving them nothing but fodder for recruiting more people to their cause.

There is no reason to remove statues or monuments other than some people just feel a sense of butt hurt when they think or look at them. It's the same revulsion I feel when i walk past some nimrod with a Che shirt on. However I don't feel a need to rip the shirt off or yell at them about it. I sneer, shake my head, and KEEP WALKING.
I disagree, that might be the short term play that they will attempt to capitalize on but in the long term it is removing a source of power and supremacy that exists. Many of those statues were constructed during the Jim Crow era as a check to the blacks that the values of the confederacy still exist. Like I said in the OP whether you take them down or minimize them with "counter" statues of civil rights leaders, I think either is a smart move to combat the hate.

Nazi Palousey has been walking by confederate statues in Statuary Hall every day for 30 years and just this week is suddenly concerned about removing them. Here's a couple of little known facts about slavery. The first person to have the supreme court commit him to a life time of servitude was black and his master was also black. 47% of slave owners in SC at the start of the civil war were black. Whites, indians and blacks were slaves in the us. So to portray it as a simple black/white issue is absurd. BTW who would be required to pay reparations on behalf of the black slave owners? Hummmmmmmm.

My point, is all confederates weren't white and the commiecrat leadership is practicing dead fishes mantra, never let a crisis go to waste. It's all political theater. Our history is our history, it belongs to everyone who claims to be Americans. I heard an other interesting factoid tonight on a radio interview. Do you know 67 colleges don't even require American History studies to get a degree in history? It's not being taught K-12 and it's not taught in colleges, should Americans really have to go to museums to learn their history?
Who cares what color confederates were, how is that relevant? They were a group that waged war on our country and tried to succeed over the issue of slavery. What more needs to be said. Why do we need to have so many statues celebrating their generals? It is pretty obvious that they were erected during Jim Crow to remind the blacks who takes priority.

Ask the average black who the slave owners were before the civil war, I guarantee 99% will say only whites or who were the salves and they will say only blacks. Both of course are inaccurate. Accuracy, not propaganda, is important when it comes to understanding history. Obviously you have no problem pushing the propaganda.

Ask the average black who the slave owners were before the civil war, I guarantee 99% will say only whites or who were the salves and they will say only blacks. Both of course are inaccurate. Accuracy, not propaganda, is important when it comes to understanding history. Obviously you have no problem pushing the propaganda.

I don't push any of that shit because it is not relevant to the conversation. Who cares what race 99% of black people think owned slaves. It is not relevant. If you want to fund efforts for better education of history in our schools then go for it. I'll support you. But for this conversation it has zero relevance

It's been a crazy week and i've engaged in many heated discussions about the events of Charlottesville. I have to admit that i've been greatly conflicted about my anti-racist feelings and my support of free speech. I flirted dangerously close in many discussions to promoting the shutdown of speech for white supremacist groups. I saw them as threats, conveyers of hate speech and given their history which has resulted in millions of deaths I was ok with suppressing their speech and shutting down their causes by whatever means necessary. But, I've had a change of heart.

I think we can be smarter than that and not empower these assholes to strip us of our freedoms. It is a slippery slope once you start suppressing speech. We have legal censorship in a variety of areas which i'm fine with, but shutting down groups from holding rallies, having websites and protesting is only going to lead to bad things. Note that I in no way support any provocation of violence or destruction resulting from rallies or protests. If that happens then shut them down immediately and make arrests.

I would promote fighting these douchebags by ignoring them and minimizing them in a SMART way. Don't lower yourself to fight with them and fuel their cause. Take away their statues and flags that empower them in public forums and show them that our communities outright reject their hateful views. Or construct monuments and statues of civil rights leaders next to the confederate statues and tell the story about how we prevailed and fought agains their hate, and WE WON. Ignore their rallies and don't give them the exposure or attention that they crave. Speak louder and stronger for equality.

I still think that the Presidents comments that minimized the ugliness of the Nazi's and White Supremacists were wildly inappropriate. He tried to spread the blame to the left for the anti-protests and it deluded his message of condemnation that should have been crystal clear in opposition of the hate groups. He should have spread the message in a better way to fight against it. I don't want to relitigate Trumps actions in this OP but I did want to share my change of opinion and open up a discussion about productive ways to move forward that combats the hate and preserves our right of free speech.

What is a right? Is a right unlimited? No, it is not.

The right to free speech is limited. How is it limited? Well there are court cases, the most famous is about clear and present danger, shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater.

When you have a country which is built upon rights, and rights are considered the best, those who protest in order to trample on those rights are, in essence, protesting to destroy the country. Should they be given a free hand at demonstrating? Are they within the protection of rights? No, not really.

I don't push any of that shit because it is not relevant to the conversation. Who cares what race 99% of black people think owned slaves. It is not relevant. If you want to fund efforts for better education of history in our schools then go for it. I'll support you. But for this conversation it has zero relevance

It's very relevant to your regressive narrative, you folks treat most minorities like mushrooms, you know, keep'em in the dark and feed them shit. If they wise up you lose your base. Also why is it always throw more money at a problem, how about we go back to a curriculum that works.

It's very relevant to your regressive narrative, you folks treat most minorities like mushrooms, you know, keep'em in the dark and feed them shit. If they wise up you lose your base. Also why is it always throw more money at a problem, how about we go back to a curriculum that works.

How do you get curriculum that works?

Throw all the social crap our of the schools and concentrate on academics. Kids have moms and dads and extended family to address the social stuff.

The right to free speech is limited. How is it limited? Well there are court cases, the most famous is about clear and present danger, shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater.

When you have a country which is built upon rights, and rights are considered the best, those who protest in order to trample on those rights are, in essence, protesting to destroy the country. Should they be given a free hand at demonstrating? Are they within the protection of rights? No, not really.
What if people are protesting another groups right to shout "fire!" in a crowded theater? metaphorically speaking

Throw all the social crap our of the schools and concentrate on academics. Kids have moms and dads and extended family to address the social stuff.
How do you do that? Take me through the process

Take yourself on a trip thru history and see what kinds of school systems made us the wealthiest country in the history of the world. Where discipline and personal accountability were taught and no kid would ever consider attacking a teacher. You can trace the drastic decline in our education system to the removal of discipline. Just install that template in current schools. And don't throw around any crap about segregation, that is past, it's the principles that are important.

Take yourself on a trip thru history and see what kinds of school systems made us the wealthiest country in the history of the world. Where discipline and personal accountability were taught and no kid would ever consider attacking a teacher. You can trace the drastic decline in our education system to the removal of discipline. Just install that template in current schools. And don't throw around any crap about segregation, that is past, it's the principles that are important.

Are you ever going to get around to answering my question. You seem pretty full of insults and finger point but lacking in substance and productive ideas. So try again

What if people are protesting another groups right to shout "fire!" in a crowded theater? metaphorically speaking

Well there is no right to shout fire in a crowded theater, is there? No, how much force is to be used I would suppose depends on the severity of what they're shouting for.

When it came to Nazis taking over other countries in the 1940s, military force was deemed appropriate. If it were those who are just demanding something like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater then it would seem excessive to have military force, don't you think?

Are you ever going to get around to answering my question. You seem pretty full of insults and finger point but lacking in substance and productive ideas. So try again

It's funny when you see response to people you have on ignore. The same things come up time and again, insults etc. So I know I was right to stick them on ignore, and you probably should to, as this person, whoever they are, clearly has a track record of this sort of thing.

You've gotten all the answer you're going to get, I'm not you damn secretary.

It's funny when you see response to people you have on ignore. The same things come up time and again, insults etc. So I know I was right to stick them on ignore, and you probably should to, as this person, whoever they are, clearly has a track record of this sort of thing.

Only real pussies us ignore.

You've gotten all the answer you're going to get, I'm not you damn secretary.

I'm not asking you to act like a secretary. I'm asking you to act like a man and back up what you say. But when I ask direct questions you deflect and give non answers....

So you want schools to teach more accurate history but you don't want to spend any money and you don't know how to do it. Your goal is for people to understand that black people owned slaves in the civil war era because then they wouldn't want to take down conferderate statues.... did I get that right? Because that's what you've told me so far. Can you see why it's difficult to take you seriously?

I flirted dangerously close in many discussions to promoting the shutdown of speech for white supremacist groups. I saw them as threats, conveyers of hate speech and given their history which has resulted in millions of deaths I was ok with suppressing their speech and shutting down their causes by whatever means necessary. But, I've had a change of heart.

All sides have killed millions.

Furthermore much of what is described as 'White Supremacist" was merely just "Greed"

Slavery for example was about greed, it was a business for goodness sake.

But, the elites have brainwashed the idiotic masses into thinking slavery is White Supremacist.

Oh really? When was the last time that a true White Supremacist wanted to import Blacks into his own backyard like Slave-masters did?
Well you had Nazi's chanting about eradicating Jews from our country just last weekend and you have the KKK and other groups fighting for the right to segregate and live in communities and run businesses that only include whites. You don't find that as reprehensible?

What about multiculturalism which will obviously eradicate both Jews, and Whites?

The fact that the love hormone Oxytocin causes racism, morality, generosity, cuddles, love, trust, and honesty.

Then, no I don't think most racists are bad people, I think racists are usually passionate.

Your side seems to be the cold blooded side, who doesn't care about their heritage.
Why is heritage so important to you? My fathers side is English and Scottish and my mothers side is potuguise Spanish and Sicilian. That think that is awesome, I can relate to people from all those countries

So, you don't think it's sad if Scottish, English, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese heritages disappear?

Ah, so you disagreed with the college students who impeded Ann Coulter's right to speak.
The Coulter moron has every right to speak......UNLESS, she/he is demanding the school's money to spew her stupidity; then students have a right to tell her to go shave around her Adam's apple.
Or they could just let her speak to those who would like to listen.

You don't have to be afraid of words.

No conundrum at all. Let people speak. If we can't beat people in the arena of ideas, we don't deserve to.

Freedom of expression is about speech we DON'T like, not speech we DO like.

So, you're in full agreement that radical Muslim recruitment should NOT be curtailed or hindered by us, correct?

recruiting people to join a terrorist action is a crime, a criminal conspiracy.....hating on the U.S. is not a crime. Free speech for everyone, and even "hate speech" is protected...in fact, it is specifically protected.
They just want opposing speech shut down.

They'll trot out any number of excuses, but that's always the bottom line.

They are not liberals.

[QU

recruiting people to join a terrorist action is a crime, a criminal conspiracy.....hating on the U.S. is not a crime. Free speech for everyone, and even "hate speech" is protected...in fact, it is specifically protected.

The Alt Left defines "hate speech" as being anything that doesn't support their vile destructive agenda.

Forum List

Back