“Raise the Wage Act”, (H.R. 582) would have increased most USA’s wage-earning families’ incomes.

First, Neither the Executive Branch or Congress has never relied on the Preamble alone as the basis for a claimed power to enact a law, and the Supreme Court has never relied on the Preamble as the sole basis for any constitutional decision. It is NOT a source of power or authority for any branch of gov't to do anything. They have probably referred to it, but in fact it does not define any govt right to do anything.

Re the minimum wage, there are always consequences to any gov't action. If you require a substantial increase in the minimum wage then you are forcing businesses to adjust one way or another to deal with the higher labor costs of doing business. Generally, businesses will raise prices if they can, or reduce employee benefits, or cut hours or the number of employees. Usually the people most affected are those entering the work force for the 1st time, because they don't yet have the skills necessary to be worth the higher wage. In some cases, businesses will automate whatever they can which of course means fewer employees. Many they'll move to another state where taxes are lower or the regulations are a little cheaper to meet. And finally some may just go out of business because the time and effort to run the business just isn't worth the money.

I'll make anyone a deal. We end the Federal Reserve and I'll quit sticking up for the poor.

Why should we end the Federal Reserve?
How is making unskilled workers permanently unemployable "sticking up for the poor"?

Trump said we had full employment so I have no idea what you are talking about. The work still needs done whether it's $8 or $12.

The work still needs done whether it's $8 or $12.

Why will $8 work still be done at $12?

awesome. I look forward to bread costing 75 bucks a loaf.
TNHarley, regarding the minimum wage rate and inflation of the U.S. currency's value:
The minimum rate’s proportional effect upon a product’s price is dependent upon the proportion of the price that’s attributable to direct or indirect labor, and the proportional differences between those labor costs that are attributable to higher or lower wage rates. (The minimum rate bolsters other wage rates, but it much more beneficial to lower rather than higher wage rate earners.)

Because a fraction multiplied by another fraction produces a consequential product lesser than the two multiplied factors, the minimum wage rate has never been among the primary drivers of U.S. dollar’s inflation. Any proportional increases of aggregate prices that could be attributable to increases of the federal minimum wage rate are proportionally extremely much less than the increase of aggregate wage incomes that could also be attributable to that rate increase.

Respectfully, Supposn

(The minimum rate bolsters other wage rates, but it much more beneficial to lower rather than higher wage rate earners.)

Prove it.

Show how much wages would increase at the $100,000 level, if the Federal Minimum Wage
went from $7.25 up to $8.25. Do the same for the $50,000 level. Thanks!!!

First he said it bolsters other wage rates and it will. When we finally embarrass politicians enough to get it done it's going to be at a 4 figure rate. ($10 plus). Those making $10 now will also get a boost. Whatever wage it gets boosted to will get a boost also. Does it reach those making $100,000? No.

But you knew this.
/----/ Raising minimum wage limits opportunities for teens looking for their first job, but you already knew this. That's why you push it. Make teens the victim of Capitalism.

That's a 1970's argument. Unfortunately adults have to take the jobs teens once did because of automation and off shoring.
/-----/ Bullshyt. Up until the Covid businesses couldn't fil the job openings they had. If an adult has to take a minimum wage job, it's on them for not having the skills for something better.

BTW - your gun-grabber arguments are for the 1970s and that doesn't shut you clowns up.

None of these jobs were decent paying jobs. They are overseas.
/—-/ Prove it or STFU with your TDS.

Are you saying Trump is wrong? Are good paying jobs haven't went overseas? This is all political bluster on his part?
/—-/ Prove it or STFU with your TDS

I'll make anyone a deal. We end the Federal Reserve and I'll quit sticking up for the poor.

How is making unskilled workers permanently unemployable "sticking up for the poor"?

Trump said we had full employment so I have no idea what you are talking about. The work still needs done whether it's $8 or $12.
/——/ If your landscaper said he’d do your lawn for $25, would you say that’s not a living wage and pay him $50?

Because it would be the law.

/——/ If your landscaper said he’d do your lawn for $25, would you say that’s not a living wage and pay him $50?

No but if the workers did a good job I very well may tip them. We just had a piano moved. Three guys. I gave them $20 each because they did a great job.

No but if the workers did a good job I very well may tip them. We just had a piano moved. Three guys. I gave them $20 each because they did a great job.

And that was your choice, as it should be. The gov't didn't tell you you had to give them the $20 apiece whether they did a good job or not, did they? But you think that's a good idea, right?

And that was your choice, as it should be. The gov't didn't tell you you had to give them the $20 apiece whether they did a good job or not, did they? But you think that's a good idea, right?

There is nothing new here. We aren't getting rid of the minimum wage no matter how much you argue and it is going to go up.

$8 of labor and $10 of raw materials turned into $20 of finished product may happen.
$12 of labor and $10 of raw materials turned into $20 of finished product won't happen.

No matter how many laws an ignorant legislature may pass.

You should definitely go into business and prove me wrong........

$8 of labor and $10 of raw materials turned into $20 of finished product may happen.
$12 of labor and $10 of raw materials turned into $20 of finished product won't happen.

Of course not. I would never claim that.

Prices have been going up. The minimum wage has not. It's going to.

You mean you wouldn't claim that again?

LOL!

Probably.
Just because they don't make sense economically doesn't stop bad ideas from being implemented.

/——/ “You should definitely go into business and prove me wrong........”
Libtards don’t open businesses, they loot and burn them down.

LOL!

Probably.
Just because they don't make sense economically doesn't stop bad ideas from being implemented.

I never did claim it.

LOL!

Probably.

I never did claim it.

LOL!

Probably.

I never did claim it.

I get tired of having to provide an answer over and over.

How would raising the minimum wage make the Poor, "permanently unemployable"?

Higher paid Labor create more in demand and pay more in taxes in every long run equilibrium.

We need a rise in the minimum wage but it also must be noted that the Democrats had eight years under Obama and did absolutely nothing in this regard.
In right wing fantasy, you can just make stuff up as you go along and still believe you are Right.

Yeah? When did the minimum wage get raised under the Obama administration?

The Minimum Wage Fairness Act (S. 1737) is a bill that would amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA) to increase the federal minimum wage for employees to $10.10 per hour over the course of a two-year period.[1] The bill was strongly supported by President Barack Obama and many of the Democratic Senators, but strongly opposed by Republicans in the Senate and House.[2][3][4]--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_Wage_Fairness_Act#Background
Right Wingers simply prefer to hate on the Poor while lavishing the Richest with corporate welfare.

I addressed this already. There is no way the GOP would have turned down a minimum wage hike in return for Obama extending the Bush tax cuts (which he extended). There is also no way they could have blocked a rise in Obama first two years.

Obama did nothing.
Right wing fantasy is all you have. The republicans had nothing but repeal for all of those shovel ready jobs, and they knew it. They did not want the black guy to have better numbers, so they could complain about "low growth" under his administration.

Nobody should take the right wing seriously about economics, the law, morals, or political solutions to our national problems.

Forum List

Back