Religion/ A crutch created by man

To explain away the things they didn't understand.

And for whatever reason even when we started to understand things we didn't give up the crutch.

The ultimate fear, death, requires the ultimate crutch.

Death is scary... I've met people who need the hope they have in Jesus to remain stable.

What about those who have given their lives for their faith? This includes a long list of people from the disciples of Jesus who were all martyred except one to Christians being thrown to the lions in Rome to the poor souls in Egypt today. You could say that their crutch killed them or you could say that they grew a bigger sac than you whimpy boy.

All that means is that there are dumber Christians than Kosher Girl. :lol:

And for whatever reason even when we started to understand things we didn't give up the crutch.

How did man know that people worldwide would be fighting each other and that wars and rumor of wars would be happing 2,000 years ago?

How did man 2,000 years ago, know that the price of food would go up?.

Hmmm. how did they know 2000 years ago that in the future some people would still be stupid???

:wine:

"take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

Last edited:
Hmm. Taken from a website with an unlinked source for the copy and pasted opinion of somebody. Did you check out the Bibliography to see if it was in any way connected to the comments? I'm not gonna bother if you don't mind.

But let's assume she got it right. That means that the more than 90% of people who believe in some form of deity are subject to schizophenia but the less than 10% of people who say they don't believe in any form of god are perfectly healthy mentally?

I wonder if we can get the American Psychiatry Association to agree with that conclusion?
you asked for a link ,you got one. any other links are your job .
as to the last part ,judging from your reaction her conclusion troubles you some.

I didn't accuse you of not providing a link. I accused the person you linked us to of not providing a link or any other authority to what she obviously (at least to me) copied and pasted. Any of us can put a bibliography at the end of our post and make it look really official.

I also pointed out the illogic of her thesis in that post in that it would lead one to believe that religion was a huge factor in manifestations of schizophrenia. But having a family member and also a close friend who suffers from this cruel disorder, I'm pretty sure whoever compiled that essay was either desperate to do a dissertation on something or they made it up. Though it is possible that religious delusions appear along with just about everything else one can think of, a comprehensive study of the disease doesn't back up what your link suggested.

If you go to Schizophrenia.com, which I believe is the most reliable, thorough, and comprehensive source for information, and poke around, you'll have a hard time locating any concern about religious influence. If religion is a significant factor in the cause, manifestation, or diagnosis of the condition, they sure seem to be unaware of it.
Schizophrenia.com, Indepth Schizophrenia Information and Support

One interesting thing though is that you can read at this site that for those with the propensity for the disease, a dysfunctional family environment can increase the probability of developing the disease by 86%. Now we might want to look at whether those families who share a religious faith, worship together, and pray together are more or less dysfunctional than those who do not. And Schizophrenia.com sure recommends a lot of support groups who include significant religious faith in their programs.
you're singing to the choir about Schizophrenia....
on the other hand religious faith and prayer are no more effective than other types of support for dysfunctional families....

Death is scary... I've met people who need the hope they have in Jesus to remain stable.

What about those who have given their lives for their faith? This includes a long list of people from the disciples of Jesus who were all martyred except one to Christians being thrown to the lions in Rome to the poor souls in Egypt today. You could say that their crutch killed them or you could say that they grew a bigger sac than you whimpy boy.

Yeah...all Christians back to the time of Christ were just big dummies. Huggy's smarter than all of them.

Derideo uses faith and religion interchangeably.

That is the crux of argument with anti-christians...they are completely ignorant. They have no idea what it is they're talking about; they can't bother to learn.
bullshit! unless you were raised in a different faith..most of us were or exposed to Christianity..
your crack about complete ignorance is completely false..
Christianity is extremely easy to understand...

No, truly, you are ignorant. Psst..your first sentence doesn't make any sense.

If you say so... You are welcome to your view of the world. I have mine. I could easily say that religion fits nicely into your last statement. I don't think we need an excuse to be good especially when the excuse is based on nonsense. The fact that I won't be here to witness the future after I'm gone does not matter.

I don't know why you felt encouraged to twist my words. I was describing the inward thoughts of a Nihilist. Nihilism is the only logical end-all conclusion of the Atheist. If you believe there is meaningfulness and purpose to life, then this existence must be more than random to you. And if it's anything more than random, it has purpose, and therefore was created. If you believe it has purpose and was created, then voila, you are not an Atheist, but instead an Agnostic.

Voila! You are a moron. I am far from being a Nihilist. You claim purpose is created..by god I suppose. Nonsense. Man created god ... therefore man created purpose.

I'll take the purpose as a goal to a destination but without god or Jeebus. I won't polute my purpose with your idiotic myths and sky fairies.

PS.. you don't have authority to claim anything in regards to my purpose.
:clap2:
how does crediting god for purpose make it any different or better?

you asked for a link ,you got one. any other links are your job .
as to the last part ,judging from your reaction her conclusion troubles you some.

I didn't accuse you of not providing a link. I accused the person you linked us to of not providing a link or any other authority to what she obviously (at least to me) copied and pasted. Any of us can put a bibliography at the end of our post and make it look really official.

I also pointed out the illogic of her thesis in that post in that it would lead one to believe that religion was a huge factor in manifestations of schizophrenia. But having a family member and also a close friend who suffers from this cruel disorder, I'm pretty sure whoever compiled that essay was either desperate to do a dissertation on something or they made it up. Though it is possible that religious delusions appear along with just about everything else one can think of, a comprehensive study of the disease doesn't back up what your link suggested.

If you go to Schizophrenia.com, which I believe is the most reliable, thorough, and comprehensive source for information, and poke around, you'll have a hard time locating any concern about religious influence. If religion is a significant factor in the cause, manifestation, or diagnosis of the condition, they sure seem to be unaware of it.

One interesting thing though is that you can read at this site that for those with the propensity for the disease, a dysfunctional family environment can increase the probability of developing the disease by 86%. Now we might want to look at whether those families who share a religious faith, worship together, and pray together are more or less dysfunctional than those who do not. And Schizophrenia.com sure recommends a lot of support groups who include significant religious faith in their programs.
on the other hand religious faith and prayer are no more effective than other types of support for dysfunctional families....

I disagree. Certainly even religious families can be dysfunctional. I was born into and grew up in one. And certainly a secular family can be a successful family.

But from what I've experienced, read and observed and have been told, families of all socioeconomic circumstances who attend church together, who pray together, who share common values and place importance on their shared faith are far less likely to be dysfunctional or include toxic relationships than do those families that are completely secular. And those who share a faith are more likely to stay together and better weather the storms of life that come their way.

Last edited:
Really.

In what country is "unless you were raised in a different faith..most of us were or exposed to Christianity" a complete sentence?

You're an ignoramus. The best indication is that you cannot communicate effectively or intelligently, but there are other indications as well.

Evil is created by man, G-d is not evil...without G-d we see where man ends up and what he does..Evil is not of G-d that is man's doing

I humbly disagree. Evil is the absense of Good. Neither Good nor Evil could exist without the other. There needs to be opposition in all things.

God is by definition Good. God is also Eternal/Immortal. Since God has always existed, Good has always existed. If Good has always existed, then Evil must likewise have always existed.

Neither good nor evil were created. They've always existed.
wrong! good and evil are inexorably intertwined...
if you remove both you have a neutral state.
need is a man made concept, the "opposition" we see are part of birth and death cycle of existence.
there is no objective evidence for or against the existence of god.
so any statement you make about god's actions or attitudes is subjective..
btw god has not always been good.....

martyrdom takes no balls at all...

martyrdom takes no balls at all...

:eusa_eh::cuckoo::eusa_liar:

Yeah...all Christians back to the time of Christ were just big dummies. Huggy's smarter than all of them.
not all ... but you zealots sure make it seem that way!

I disagree. Certainly even religious families can be dysfunctional. I was born into and grew up in one. And certainly a secular family can be a successful family.

But from what I've experienced, read and observed and have been told, families of all socioeconomic circumstances who attend church together, who pray together, who share common values and place importance on their shared faith are far less likely to be dysfunctional or include toxic relationships than do those families that are completely secular. And those who share a faith are more likely to stay together and better weather the storms of life that come their way.
my experience is that one is no better than the other...

Your opinion built on your limited observation is less than meaningless:

"It's also true, researchers say, that people who regularly attend religious services enjoy a boost in their happiness. However, research findings don't agree on how much of the benefit is religious and how much derives from the benefits of social networking and being with other like-minded people.
There is overwhelming research evidence that people can live longer if they actively engage in formal religious activities and follow their faith's behavioral prescriptions."

"Regular and frequent religious attendance does seem to be one of the significant predictors of less stress and more life satisfaction," says Scott Schieman, a professor of sociology at the University of Toronto."
Religion Makes People Happier?But Why? - US News and World Report

Your opinion built on your limited observation is less than meaningless:

"It's also true, researchers say, that people who regularly attend religious services enjoy a boost in their happiness. However, research findings don't agree on how much of the benefit is religious and how much derives from the benefits of social networking and being with other like-minded people.
There is overwhelming research evidence that people can live longer if they actively engage in formal religious activities and follow their faith's behavioral prescriptions."

"Regular and frequent religious attendance does seem to be one of the significant predictors of less stress and more life satisfaction," says Scott Schieman, a professor of sociology at the University of Toronto."
Religion Makes People Happier?But Why? - US News and World Report
operative word : SEEM.

Forum List

Back