Religious Freedom Reestablished!

The state religion of France prior to their revolution was Catholicism. The tithe was compulsory, to support the First Estate of the Realm. The anti-religious sentiment that followed was due to the abuses that always characterize any collusion between church and state.

Yours is a shockingly flimsy understanding of the French Revolution.

The short explanation is that... Blah, blah, blah bluhhhhh.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you require further remediation.

Any genuine "student of history" knows that the Catholic Church was instrumental in the oppression of the French people and upheld the "divine right of kings" to have absolute unfettered rule over the populace. Since the CC chose to side with the aristocracy in order to preserve it's own power and wealth it is little wonder that it suffered a backlash. Had it sided with the people none of the above would have happened. Understanding context is crucial to understanding history. Simply wallowing in the gory details for the sake of trying to score political points doesn't get you anywhere.

Yeah, what is worse than ignorance, is believing that a falsehood is true.

The position of men like the Abbe Sieyès was the same as the more religious American patriots;
"that the better proof of reverence for that holy name wd be not to profane it by making it a topic of legisl. discussion, & particularly by making his religion the means of abridging the natural and equal rights of all men, in defiance of his own declaration that his Kingdom was not of this world" -- James Madison; from Detached Memoranda

Last edited:
Those who respect the Constitution understand the meaning of the Free Exercise Clause, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.."
Governor Perry of Texas certainly does...

1. "Texas Gov. Rick Perry signs ‘Merry Christmas bill’ into law

5. ....I'm proud that we're standing up for religious freedom in this state,” Perry said at a “Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

Can I get an "Amen"!!!

Not really.

Frankly, I have to wonder, why do you guys need to insert your fairy stories into schools? Don't you have enough time to do that in the churches?

For equal time, are the Atheists allowed to go into churches and point out that Luke and Matthew have completely contradictory stories about when Jesus was born? Or under what circumstances?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oli0DTmPmGU&list=PLC767D1EB39788E5B&index=10]The Unreliable Birth Story of Jesus - YouTube[/ame]

Those who respect the Constitution understand the meaning of the Free Exercise Clause, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.."
Governor Perry of Texas certainly does...

1. "Texas Gov. Rick Perry signs ‘Merry Christmas bill’ into law

5. ....I'm proud that we're standing up for religious freedom in this state,” Perry said at a “Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

Can I get an "Amen"!!!

Not really.

Frankly, I have to wonder, why do you guys need to insert your fairy stories into schools? Don't you have enough time to do that in the churches?

For equal time, are the Atheists allowed to go into churches and point out that Luke and Matthew have completely contradictory stories about when Jesus was born? Or under what circumstances?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oli0DTmPmGU&list=PLC767D1EB39788E5B&index=10]The Unreliable Birth Story of Jesus - YouTube[/ame]

1. The only fairy tale on display is this one: "why do you guys need to insert your fairy stories into schools."

2. And as for this burnishing your title, 'Erroneous Joe,' if religious folk had the time and depth and propagandization by the media and celebrities, i.e., "For equal time, are the Atheists...blah, blah, blah...."

...I, for one would be more than satisfied.

Secularization by you Leftists is an affront to our history, and our Founders.

“52 of the 56 signers of the declaration and 50 to 52 of the 55 signers of the Constitution were orthodox Trinitarian Christians.” David Limbaugh

[

1. The only fairy tale on display is this one: "why do you guys need to insert your fairy stories into schools."

2. And as for this burnishing your title, 'Erroneous Joe,' if religious folk had the time and depth and propagandization by the media and celebrities, i.e., "For equal time, are the Atheists...blah, blah, blah...."

And where are they doing that? Which big time celebrity is out there "propagandizing" atheism?

If anything, the Media accommedates the religious nuts too much. Never in December have I seen the "Jesus was a Fake" Christmas special. In fact, we get the oppossite, the whole "Let's do a Disneyfied version of the Bible". (Because, the ACTUAL stories in the Bible are so horrible that they'd probably create more atheists if they are played straight.).

What I'd like to see. A bible stories TV show that actually dramatized some of the real horrible stories in the Bible.

I'd love to see them spin Judges 11. You know, the one where Jephthah butchered his virgin daughter as a burnt offering to the Sky Pixie because he made a foolish vow.

“52 of the 56 signers of the declaration and 50 to 52 of the 55 signers of the Constitution were orthodox Trinitarian Christians.” David Limbaugh

Again, I don't look to Founding Slave Rapists for guidence on anything practical, and not sure why you are. I'm guessing you don't go out for a bleeding when you get sick like Geo. Washington did.

[

And where are they doing that? Which big time celebrity is out there "propagandizing" atheism?

If anything, the Media accommedates the religious nuts too much. Never in December have I seen the "Jesus was a Fake" Christmas special. In fact, we get the oppossite, the whole "Let's do a Disneyfied version of the Bible". (Because, the ACTUAL stories in the Bible are so horrible that they'd probably create more atheists if they are played straight.).

What I'd like to see. A bible stories TV show that actually dramatized some of the real horrible stories in the Bible.

I'd love to see them spin Judges 11. You know, the one where Jephthah butchered his virgin daughter as a burnt offering to the Sky Pixie because he made a foolish vow.

Again, I don't look to Founding Slave Rapists for guidence on anything practical, and not sure why you are. I'm guessing you don't go out for a bleeding when you get sick like Geo. Washington did.

" I don't look to Founding Slave Rapists for guidence on anything practical, and not sure why you are."

Amazing that you are so bereft of a knowledge of history that you rely on fabricating slander, as above.

It seems that, with metronomic regularity, I have to teach you history.

1. Usually, the ‘Founders’ refers to these six: Madison, Jefferson and Washington, Adams, Hamilton, and Franklin.

a. The three non-Southerners worked tirelessly against slavery.

b.In Ron Chernow’s book "Alexander Hamilton," one learns that Hamilton was a strong advocate for the abolition of slavery. During the 1780s, Hamilton was one of the founders of the New York Society for Promoting the Manumission of Slaves, which was instrumental in the abolition of slavery in the state of New York.
Alexander Hamilton and the New York Manumission Society | Angelolopez's Weblog

c. Many of the other Founding Fathers were activists like Alexander Hamilton. In 1787 Benjamin Franklin agree to serve as president of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society, which set out to abolish slavery and set up programs to help freed slaves to become good citizens and improve the conditions of free African Americans.

On February 12, 1790, Benjamin Franklin and the Pennsylvania Abolition Society presented a petition to the House of Representatives calling for the federal government to take steps for the gradual abolition of slavery and end the slave trade.

As a young lawyer, Thomas Jefferson represented a slave in court attempting to be set free and during the 1770s and 1780s, Jefferson made several attempts to pass legislation to gradually abolish slavery and end the slave trade.

John Jay was the first president of the New York Manumission Society and was active in Society’s efforts to abolish slavery. Ibid.

More?

2. . An excellent read on the matter is a brilliant book called "Miracle in Philadelphia", by Catherine Drinker Bowen, which recounts the actual history and debates around the Constitutional Convention in 1787.

a. The Founder’s compromise was to count each slave as 3/5 of a man for the purposes of apportionment, and when that passed after a great deal more debate and lobbying, legislators from the slave states were permanently limited to a minority. With that one stroke, the state was set for slavery’s eventual demise, and the proof of how effective it was came in 1804, when the slave states were powerless to stop Congress from outlawing the importation of slaves to the new nation.
Breitbart News: Big Journalism

Bet you feel like a dunce, don't you.

Let me know if you require any other instruction.

Before I get into ripping this shit apart, duly noted Bizarro Girl couldn't cite one example of how a major celebrity or media organization was pushing the Atheist Agenda.

[

" I don't look to Founding Slave Rapists for guidence on anything practical, and not sure why you are."

Amazing that you are so bereft of a knowledge of history that you rely on fabricating slander, as above.

Sweetie, I've got a degree in history...What do you have?

Usually, the ‘Founders’ refers to these six: Madison, Jefferson and Washington, Adams, Hamilton, and Franklin.

Yes. Thomas Jefferson. Who raped the shit out of sally Hemmings. For years.

And how'd that work out? Oh, wait. Slavery continued LONG after they were dead.

On how to be stupid apologist tool? Or Funditardism 101.

We built this country on racism, genocide and exploitation. LIke it or not, that's the history.

Sooner we own up to it, sooner we can get about fixing things.

Before I get into ripping this shit apart, duly noted Bizarro Girl couldn't cite one example of how a major celebrity or media organization was pushing the Atheist Agenda.

[

Usually, the ‘Founders’ refers to these six: Madison, Jefferson and Washington, Adams, Hamilton, and Franklin.

We built this country on racism, genocide and exploitation. LIke it or not, that's the history.

"Thomas Jefferson. Who raped the shit out of sally Hemmings. For years."

Proof?

Actually there is none.

But....the weight of all factors considered leads on to the unshakable conclusion that you know zero about most of the things you post about.

Thus, if any institution actually gave you a degree in history, that institution should be closed and reopened as a bar and grill.

There is as much evidence that Thomas Jefferson fathered Hemming's children as there is of Obama directing the IRS to harass Tea Party groups.

"Since then, a committee commissioned by the Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society, after reviewing essentially the same material, reached different conclusions, namely that Sally Hemings was only a minor figure in Thomas Jefferson's life and that it is very unlikely he fathered any of her children. This committee also suggested in its report, issued in April 2001 and revised in 2011, that Jefferson's younger brother Randolph (1755-1815) was more likely the father of at least some of Sally Hemings's children."
Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: A Brief Account « Thomas Jefferson?s Monticello

Would you like another opportunity to answer the question?

'Bet you feel like a dunce, don't you.'

[

"....couldn't cite one example of how a major celebrity or media organization was pushing the Atheist Agenda."

1. Video: Atheist Agenda? | Fox News Video

2. S.E.Cupp says that the media uses three methods to spread the message of liberalism and secularism.
Target the Christian majority, because the majority never feels threatened.
Unfairly target Christians and propagating untruths against them by breaking the media's promise to be "fair and balanced."
Use the opinion media to to spew ugly invective against Christians by forsaking all virtues of decency, dignity, and tolerance.
Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity - RationalWiki

3. LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS AGAINST CATHOLICS AGAIN
Liberal Media Bias Against Catholics Again

4. It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
Barack Obama

5. The Atheist and the Materialist
those who have no need for gods and some who have no need for the supernatural
Douglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Fred Armisen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Paul Erdős, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Michael Kinsley, Keira Knightley, John Landis, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernst Mach, Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Trey Parker, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Joe Rogan, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Adam Savage, Brian Sapient, Erwin Schrödinger, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Matt Stone, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Gore Vidal, Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak, HUNDREDS MORE.
Celebrity Atheist List

So THAT'S why you're called 'Erroneous Joe.'

[

Proof?

Actually there is none.

But....the weight of all factors considered leads on to the unshakable conclusion that you know zero about most of the things you post about.

Thus, if any institution actually gave you a degree in history, that institution should be closed and reopened as a bar and grill.

There is as much evidence that Thomas Jefferson fathered Hemming's children as there is of Obama directing the IRS to harass Tea Party groups.

"Since then, a committee commissioned by the Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society, after reviewing essentially the same material, reached different conclusions, namely that Sally Hemings was only a minor figure in Thomas Jefferson's life and that it is very unlikely he fathered any of her children. This committee also suggested in its report, issued in April 2001 and revised in 2011, that Jefferson's younger brother Randolph (1755-1815) was more likely the father of at least some of Sally Hemings's children."
Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: A Brief Account « Thomas Jefferson?s Monticello

The Jefferson DNA in the Hemmings descendants is proof. Furthermore none of the 4 visits of Randolph Jefferson coincided with Hemming's 6 children.

Jefferson?Hemings controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since 1998, critics of the conclusions about Jefferson paternity have suggested his younger brother Randolph Jefferson as a candidate, or another of the eight Jefferson males who lived within 20 miles of Monticello.[45] The Monticello Jefferson-Hemings Report, examining Randolph as a candidate, found that Randolph made only four recorded visits to Monticello (in September 1802, September 1805, May 1808, and sometime in 1814); none were related to Sally Hemings' conceptions. In August 1807, a probable conception time for Eston Hemings, Thomas Jefferson wrote to his brother about visiting, but there is no evidence that the younger man arrived. Similarly, no documentation of a Randolph visit appears at the probable conception time for Madison Hemings.[46]

DNA study[edit]

In 1998 Dr. Eugene Foster with researchers at the University of Leicester tested the Y-DNA of male-line descendants of the Jefferson, Carr and Eston Hemings lines in an attempt to determine whether Thomas Jefferson or one of the Carrs had fathered Sally Hemings' children. Questions raised by the analysis of Annette Gordon-Reed prompted re-evaluation of the issue. There are no living male-line descendants of Madison Hemings, and Beverley Hemings' descendants have been lost to history. Descendants of Madison Hemings declined to have the remains of his son William Hemings disturbed to extract DNA for testing (he was buried in 1910 in a VA cemetery), just as Wayles-Jefferson descendants declined to have Thomas Jefferson's remains disturbed.[47]

Researchers tested Y-chromosomal DNA from living male claimed descendants of Hemings and of Jefferson's uncle Field Jefferson.[42] The study concluded that the descendant of Eston Hemings had a Y-chromosome that matched the Y-chromosome of the Jefferson male line. Given historic evidence supporting Thomas Jefferson's paternity, according to the report of the study in Nature, the team concluded he was the likely father of Eston, and probably the other Hemings children. Eight weeks later, in Science, Foster was reported to have "made it clear that the data establish only that Thomas Jefferson was one of several candidates for the paternity of Eston Hemings."[48]

The president's grandson and granddaughter had identified one of his Carr nephews as the biological father of Hemings' children. Three Carr male-line descendants of Peter and Samuel Carr, the nephews in question, were tested. The results showed a consensus Carr haplotype for the male line. It was conclusively different from that of the Hemings descendant and the Jefferson male line. Foster said, "The simplest and most probable explanations for our molecular findings are that Thomas Jefferson, rather than one of the Carr brothers, was the father of Eston Hemings Jefferson".[49]

[

"....couldn't cite one example of how a major celebrity or media organization was pushing the Atheist Agenda."

2. S.E.Cupp says that the media uses three methods to spread the message of liberalism and secularism.
Unfairly target Christians and propagating untruths against them by breaking the media's promise to be "fair and balanced."
Use the opinion media to to spew ugly invective against Christians by forsaking all virtues of decency, dignity, and tolerance.

4. It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
Barack Obama

Douglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Fred Armisen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Paul Erdős, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Michael Kinsley, Keira Knightley, John Landis, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernst Mach, Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Trey Parker, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Joe Rogan, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Adam Savage, Brian Sapient, Erwin Schrödinger, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Matt Stone, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Gore Vidal, Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak, HUNDREDS MORE.
Celebrity Atheist List

Fox "News" is a self confessed entertainment channel that admitted in court that it lies to it's viewers. It has zero credibility.

Daily Kos: Fox News admits they lie and distort the news, so why so pissy?

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre’s threat to report the station’s actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida’s whistle blower statute, because Florida’s whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted “law, rule, or regulation." In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a "law, rule, or regulation," it was simply a "policy." Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly. (Anybody surprised this happened in Florida?)

During their appeal, FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so.

Proof?

Actually there is none.

The Jefferson DNA in the Hemmings descendants is proof. Furthermore none of the 4 visits of Randolph Jefferson coincided with Hemming's 6 children.

Since 1998, critics of the conclusions about Jefferson paternity have suggested his younger brother Randolph Jefferson as a candidate, or another of the eight Jefferson males who lived within 20 miles of Monticello.[45] The Monticello Jefferson-Hemings Report, examining Randolph as a candidate, found that Randolph made only four recorded visits to Monticello (in September 1802, September 1805, May 1808, and sometime in 1814); none were related to Sally Hemings' conceptions. In August 1807, a probable conception time for Eston Hemings, Thomas Jefferson wrote to his brother about visiting, but there is no evidence that the younger man arrived. Similarly, no documentation of a Randolph visit appears at the probable conception time for Madison Hemings.[46]

DNA study[edit]

In 1998 Dr. Eugene Foster with researchers at the University of Leicester tested the Y-DNA of male-line descendants of the Jefferson, Carr and Eston Hemings lines in an attempt to determine whether Thomas Jefferson or one of the Carrs had fathered Sally Hemings' children. Questions raised by the analysis of Annette Gordon-Reed prompted re-evaluation of the issue. There are no living male-line descendants of Madison Hemings, and Beverley Hemings' descendants have been lost to history. Descendants of Madison Hemings declined to have the remains of his son William Hemings disturbed to extract DNA for testing (he was buried in 1910 in a VA cemetery), just as Wayles-Jefferson descendants declined to have Thomas Jefferson's remains disturbed.[47]

Researchers tested Y-chromosomal DNA from living male claimed descendants of Hemings and of Jefferson's uncle Field Jefferson.[42] The study concluded that the descendant of Eston Hemings had a Y-chromosome that matched the Y-chromosome of the Jefferson male line. Given historic evidence supporting Thomas Jefferson's paternity, according to the report of the study in Nature, the team concluded he was the likely father of Eston, and probably the other Hemings children. Eight weeks later, in Science, Foster was reported to have "made it clear that the data establish only that Thomas Jefferson was one of several candidates for the paternity of Eston Hemings."[48]

The president's grandson and granddaughter had identified one of his Carr nephews as the biological father of Hemings' children. Three Carr male-line descendants of Peter and Samuel Carr, the nephews in question, were tested. The results showed a consensus Carr haplotype for the male line. It was conclusively different from that of the Hemings descendant and the Jefferson male line. Foster said, "The simplest and most probable explanations for our molecular findings are that Thomas Jefferson, rather than one of the Carr brothers, was the father of Eston Hemings Jefferson".[49]

Ready for a lesson?

1. In late 1998, the scientific journal Nature conducted DNA testings which proved that Thomas Jefferson had fathered a child with Sally Hemings. But, the original Nature article had reported that Thomas Woodson--the child that oral traditions claim was born of Sally when she was fifteen or so--the child born shortly after her return from France--was not sired by Jefferson:

President Jefferson was accused of having fathered a child, Tom, by Sally Hemings. Tom was said to have been born in 1790, soon after Jefferson and Sally Hemings returned from France where he had been minister. Present-day members of the African-American Woodson family believe that Thomas Jefferson was the father of Thomas Woodson, whose name comes from his later owner. No known documents support this view.
Dr. Eugene A Foster, et al, "Jefferson Fathered Slave's Last Child," NatureNovember 5, 1998.

2.. This was the non-paternity results of the DNA testing.
So much for the oral tradition that indicted Jefferson. It was reported in several places: Gene Edward Veith, "Founder's DNA revisited," World, February 20, 1999; also Dinitia Smith and Nicholas Wade, "DNA Tests Offer Evidence that Jefferson Fathered A Child With His Slave," New York Times on the Web,November 1, 1998.

3. Nature, however, after exonerating Jefferson in the birth of Thomas Woodson, claimed that the DNA evidence proved that Eston Hemings--the youngest of Sally's children--was fathered by Thomas Jefferson. It was this story which swept the nation.

But, eight weeks after releasing this story, Nature issued a retraction, admitting, "The title assigned to our study was misleading."
Dr. Eugene A Foster, et al, "The Thomas Jefferson Paternity Case," Nature,January 7, 1999.

4. Why? Because after proving that Jefferson had not fathered Woodson, it was revealed that their paternity conclusions about Jefferson fathering Eston were based on inaccurate and incomplete information, both scientifically and historically.

5. While the researchers did find Jefferson genes present in the descendants of Eston Hemings, the researchers could not say that they were the genes of Thomas Jefferson, for they had not tested the DNA of any of Thomas' descendants. They tested only the genes of the descendants of Thomas' uncle, Field Jefferson, and of his nephews, Samuel and Peter Carr! There were twenty-six Jefferson males living in the central Virginia vicinity at that time. The researchers failed to eliminate the other lines.
"Experts have noted the total absence of accurate Jefferson ancestry charts in the study."
Press release by Jefferson family historian and genealogist, Herbert Barger, on January 2, 1999.

6. Herbert Barger, the Jefferson family historian and genealogist who assisted in the original DNA study for Nature (and who strenuously objected to the conclusions published in the original story) explained:
'My study indicates to me that Thomas Jefferson was not the father of Eston or any other Hemings child. The study indicates that Randolph [Thomas' younger brother] is possibly the father of Eston and the others.'
Herbert Barger, Jefferson Family Historian, February 12, 1999.

7. Even Nature conceded:
"It is true that men of Randolph Jefferson's family could have fathered Sally Hemings' later children." Dr. Eugene A. Foster, et al, "The Thomas Jefferson paternity case,"Nature, January 7, 1999

8. The reputation of Jefferson has been permanently tarnished by "scientific evidence" which actually did not prove that Thomas Jefferson fathered any illegitimate child. But, as the Wall Street Journal noted, "Of course, the backtracking comes a little late to change the hundreds of other headlines fingering Jefferson."
"Founding Fatherhood," Wall Street Journal, February 26, 1999, sec. W, p. 15.

9. In short....there are folks who simply live to downgrade the United States, and its Founders. And they will latch on to any level of 'evidence.'
"Defective scholarship is difficult to recall."
Gene Edward Veith, "Founder's DNA revisited," World, February 20, 1999

Barack Obama

Celebrity Atheist List

Fox "News" is a self confessed entertainment channel that admitted in court that it lies to it's viewers. It has zero credibility.

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre’s threat to report the station’s actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida’s whistle blower statute, because Florida’s whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted “law, rule, or regulation." In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a "law, rule, or regulation," it was simply a "policy." Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly. (Anybody surprised this happened in Florida?)

During their appeal, FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so.

How about I prove that your risible link, "February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States" is a lie?

If I prove same, as I can, how about you change your handle to the far more appropriate "Nit Wit."

Deal?

Say the word, NW.....ready when you are.

The Framers as rapists…

Given the idiocy of the OP this thread has progressed to an appropriate place.

Depends largely upon the context.

Did Sally Hemmings have the right to refuse the advances of Jefferson? If the nature of her servitude was such that she did not have said right then it is possible to argue that even "consensual" intercourse under that circumstances is coercive.

The is no doubt that rape was probably a means by which slave owners asserted their "property rights" during that era. However that does not mean that every instance was forcible rape for the purpose of oppression.

However not all slaveowners were the same. The actual relationship between Jefferson and Hemmings is not well known probably because it would have been scandalous for Jefferson to have treated Hemmings as his spouse.

The term rape might apply in a purely legalistic sense given the owner/slave relationship but the actual relationship might have been something else entirely.

Proof?

Actually there is none.

DNA study[edit]

All the DNA proves is that there was a relationship between someone at some point in the past. If you knew enough about math to count you would understand just how little that actually means. Even if the relationship was between Tomas and Sally it doesn't say a damn thing about when it began, or if it was consensual.

The Framers as rapists…

Given the idiocy of the OP this thread has progressed to an appropriate place.

Depends largely upon the context.

Did Sally Hemmings have the right to refuse the advances of Jefferson? If the nature of her servitude was such that she did not have said right then it is possible to argue that even "consensual" intercourse under that circumstances is coercive.

The is no doubt that rape was probably a means by which slave owners asserted their "property rights" during that era. However that does not mean that every instance was forcible rape for the purpose of oppression.

However not all slaveowners were the same. The actual relationship between Jefferson and Hemmings is not well known probably because it would have been scandalous for Jefferson to have treated Hemmings as his spouse.

The term rape might apply in a purely legalistic sense given the owner/slave relationship but the actual relationship might have been something else entirely.

Did you miss post #94, little fella?

Or is this an admission that your charge about Fox was the expression of a bubblebutt?

Barack Obama

Celebrity Atheist List

How about I prove that your risible link, "February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States" is a lie?

If I prove same, as I can, how about you change your handle to the far more appropriate "Nit Wit."

Deal?

Genuine "news" organizations ALWAYS provide retractions whenever they are wrong about something. It is how they retain their credibility. Fox "news" has been repeatedly shown to have broadcast fabrications and does not provide retractions.

Fox "news" even admits on it's own website that it is for ENTERTAINMENT.

Terms of Use | Fox News

Description of FOX News Services and Acceptance of Terms of Use

Welcome to this Fox News Network, L.L.C. Site, which is owned and operated by Fox News Network, L.L.C. ("FOX News" or "we"). The services offered by FOX News include foxnews.com, foxbusiness.com, foxnation.com, foxnews.mobi, m.foxbusiness.com, the FOX News iPhone application, the FOX Business iPhone application, and any FOX News - branded URL, WAP site and mobile application (collectively, the "Site"), FOX News messaging services, video services, RSS feeds, podcasting services, mobile services, and any other feature, content, or applications offered from time to time by FOX News in connection with FOX News' business (collectively, the "FOX News Services"). FOX News is based in the United States and the FOX News Services are hosted in the United States. FOX News is a part of the United States based operations of News Corporation.

FOX News furnishes the Site and the FOX News Services for your personal enjoyment and entertainment.

Now post whatever makes you happy. It won't change the FACTS about what Fox "news" really is one iota.

Deal?

Genuine "news" organizations ALWAYS provide retractions whenever they are wrong about something. It is how they retain their credibility. Fox "news" has been repeatedly shown to have broadcast fabrications and does not provide retractions.

Fox "news" even admits on it's own website that it is for ENTERTAINMENT.

Terms of Use | Fox News

Description of FOX News Services and Acceptance of Terms of Use

Welcome to this Fox News Network, L.L.C. Site, which is owned and operated by Fox News Network, L.L.C. ("FOX News" or "we"). The services offered by FOX News include foxnews.com, foxbusiness.com, foxnation.com, foxnews.mobi, m.foxbusiness.com, the FOX News iPhone application, the FOX Business iPhone application, and any FOX News - branded URL, WAP site and mobile application (collectively, the "Site"), FOX News messaging services, video services, RSS feeds, podcasting services, mobile services, and any other feature, content, or applications offered from time to time by FOX News in connection with FOX News' business (collectively, the "FOX News Services"). FOX News is based in the United States and the FOX News Services are hosted in the United States. FOX News is a part of the United States based operations of News Corporation.

FOX News furnishes the Site and the FOX News Services for your personal enjoyment and entertainment.

Now post whatever makes you happy. It won't change the FACTS about what Fox "news" really is one iota.

You're tap-dancing, NW.....

You posted this: "In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States."

Is it a fact or a lie?

I can prove it is a lie....."It won't change the FACTS"

Running as fast as you can?

Forum List

Back