Reparations Poll - vote for or against

Do you support or oppose "reparations"

• Support

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Oppose

Votes: 105 93.8%

• Total voters
Much like “Native American” it’s the white mans term... Political correctness is for pussies

As far as I am concerned,I am as much a Native American as anyone else. I was born in this country, have lived all my life here, will surely die here,and what disposition is made of my mortal remains will be made here; as has been the case for all of my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. My nearest ancestors to have immigrated from anywhere else are great-great-grandparents, and I have at least one ancestral line that is known to have been here since some time in the 1600s.

To what place am I native, if not America? Certainly not Europe. As far as is known, that's where all my distant ancestors came from, but I have never set foot there, and probably never will.

I can't blame you for wanting to keep it quiet, but this is the result of the whole substance of the Democratic Party being identity politics, so candidates have to go out and invent ridiculous causes like reparations to have something to talk about. How long can the Democratic Party survive without dealing with real issues?

I can't blame you for wanting to keep it quiet, but this is the result of the whole substance of the Democratic Party being identity politics, so candidates have to go out and invent ridiculous causes like reparations to have something to talk about. How long can the Democratic Party survive without dealing with real issues?

Trump rode the wall to victory in 2016. Nobody cared about it before he mentioned it. Of course, it’s not about security or jobs or drugs or defining our nation; it’s a way to stick it to brown people.

Ten months away from Iowa; reparations won’t be part of the discussion. Anymore than the talk about ethanol that gets brought up every time there is a caucus and is forgotten by Super Tuesday.

Every election cycle we have some democrats trotting out the "free money" promise to supporters via "reparations". Any type of "reparations" have zero chance of becoming Law. The 2020 elections cycle is heating up and Kamala and Warren both support reparations.
Reparations for Slavery: Symbolism over Substance | National Review
Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren reportedly say they support reparations for black Americans affected by slavery

This is what reparations could actually look like in America

Reparations for Slavery Reading - Constitutional Rights Foundation

Rep. John Conyers hopes Americans are finally ready to talk about reparations
Every election cycle the reprehensible right contrives ridiculous lies about Democrats – this thread being one of many examples.
here is something that aint a lie jones....your are to afraid to defend the shit you put up.....go ahead prove me wrong....

Every election cycle the reprehensible right contrives ridiculous lies about Democrats – this thread being one of many examples.
I do realize how much you like to issue blanket denials of the obvious, but from the New York Times, Reuters and the Daily Kos:
I'm certainly not expecting you to ever rise above insults and platitudes, but it might be smarter for you to just not comment.

Just a thought there, of course. Your call.
, but it might be smarter for you to just not comment.
i dont think you have worry about that Mac.....

Every election cycle we have some democrats trotting out the "free money" promise to supporters via "reparations". Any type of "reparations" have zero chance of becoming Law. The 2020 elections cycle is heating up and Kamala and Warren both support reparations.
Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren reportedly say they support reparations for black Americans affected by slavery

here is something that aint a lie jones....your are to afraid to defend the shit you put up.....go ahead prove me wrong....
This thread is an example.

NO Presidential candidates are talking about reparation payments. In fact they are simply responding to QUESTIONS.

As has been admitted previously by numerous posters...Republicans are trying to conflate some fuzzy "affirmative action" nonsense with reparation PAYMENTS.

That's false and dishonest

NO Presidential candidates are talking about reparation payments. In fact they are simply responding to QUESTIONS.

As has been admitted previously by numerous posters...Republicans are trying to conflate some fuzzy "affirmative action" nonsense with reparation PAYMENTS.

And how are they responding to the questions on reparations, Lesh?????
Here's one:

Last week, on the popular radio show “The Breakfast Club,” Senator Kamala Harris of California agreed with a host’s suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address the legacies of slavery and discrimination. Ms. Harris later affirmed that support in a statement to The New York Times.

“We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities,” she said. “I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities.”
2020 Democrats Embrace Race-Conscious Policies, Including Reparations

Just what is the average Joe supposed to take away from that????

Here's one:

Last week, on the popular radio show “The Breakfast Club,” Senator Kamala Harris of California agreed with a host’s suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address the legacies of slavery and discrimination. Ms. Harris later affirmed that support in a statement to The New York Times.

“We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities,” she said. “I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities.”

Yup. Just what I have been saying. No mention of reparation PAYMENTS.

Thanks for the illustration

I repeat.

False and dishonest

Here's one:

Senator Kamala Harris of California agreed with a host’s suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address the legacies of slavery and discrimination.
You need to comprehend the English language, or is this how your masters taught to deflect?

Trump rode the wall to victory in 2016. Nobody cared about it before he mentioned it. Of course, it’s not about security or jobs or drugs or defining our nation; it’s a way to stick it to brown people.

Ten months away from Iowa; reparations won’t be part of the discussion. Anymore than the talk about ethanol that gets brought up every time there is a caucus and is forgotten by Super Tuesday.
The border fence was introduced into the Senate by Chuck Schumer in Senate bill S. 744 in 2013 and every Democrat in the Senate voted for it; so you must think the Democrats were trying to stick it to brown people three years before Trump became President. In fact, the Democrats didn't oppose it until President Trump said he wanted it, too. Why do Democrats hate brown people so much?

I agree with you that this ridiculous call for reparations is so embarrassing that glib idiots like Harris and Warren - who btw wants Native Americans to get some of that reparations money, presumably so she can get her share - will want to distance themselves from this issue once the primaries are over, but during the general election campaign they will be called on to clarify their disingenuous and idiotic positions on this racist proposal that white Americans whose ancestors get here long after slavery are being held responsible for what some other white people did.

I repeat.

False and dishonest
Oh I get it, anything less than putting an actual Bill on the floor is a cover for your excuse....got it

Just talking about Maybe doing something that Maybe would involve investment in black community's is not the same thing. not sure what Warren wants for native Americans. lots of talking points will be thrown out by both party's will see what sticks as election gets closer, right now am more interested in getting my new bedroom floor put in.

Just talking about Maybe doing something that Maybe would involve investment in black community's is not the same thing. not sure what Warren wants for native Americans. lots of talking points will be thrown out by both party's will see what sticks as election gets closer, right now am more interested in getting my new bedroom floor put in.

It's just this simple: " Vote for me and I'll give you money".

Here's one:

I can understand how embarrassed you must be to know you are going to vote for one of these idiots, but if you don't believe Harris and Warren mean payments, just what do you think they mean by reparations?

Here's one:

Senator Kamala Harris of California agreed with a host’s suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address the legacies of slavery and discrimination.
You need to comprehend the English language, or is this how your masters taught to deflect?
AGAIN...no mention of reparation PAYMENTS and it was the HOST'S suggestion

In the words of Dean Wormer "stubbornly stupid is no way to go through life."

Sure. We'll just need their tribe card. There's likely still some around who actually are ancestors.

But most blacks in modern America have more in common with a white guy from Flagstaff than an African. The term African-American is one of the most misused terms around.
Blacks are not Africans and are not from Africa so the term is stupid.
It's telling that your focus is on the African part not the American part. Lots of Americans refer to themselves or are referred to according to their ancestry - Irish Americans, Japanese Americans, Italian Americans just as a few examples that readily come to mind. But the thing that is consistent among all of the groups is that they are designated as Americans.

I don't know about the other groups but the phrase "African American" is a more concise way to indicate "an American of African / [fill in your ancestry] descent".

The most salient point of this apparent irritant to many whites though is that this designation was crafted by racist whites in their many statutes and court rulings, including the Taney SCOTUS decision in Dred Scott vs Sanford which stated that those of African descent had no rights which the white man was bound to respect

[African Americans] had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the white race, either in social or political relations; and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit. He was bought and sold, and treated as an ordinary article of merchandise and traffic, whenever a profit could be made by it.

The response to this opinion was immediate. Rather than settle the issue of slavery, it simply inflamed public opinion and divided the country further. Frederick Douglass assailed Chief Justice Taney's opinion, noting that the rights of African Americans derive not from any judicial pronouncement, but from natural law:

We are now told, in tones of lofty exultation, that the day is lost all lost and that we might as well give up the struggle. The highest authority has spoken. The voice of the Supreme Court has gone out over the troubled waves of the National Conscience, saying peace, be still . . . The Supreme Court of the United States is not the only power in this world. It is very great, but the Supreme Court of the Almighty is greater.
This understanding of Dred Scott has now become almost universal. During his recent confirmation hearings, Chief Justice John Roberts was asked about the Dred Scott decision. He characterized it as a deplorable act of judicial fiat, claiming that it is

[P]erhaps the most egregious example of judicial activism in our history . . . in which the court went far beyond what was necessary to decide the case. And really I think historians would say that the Supreme Court tried to put itself in the position of resolving the dispute about the extension of slavery and resolving it in a particular way that it thought was best for the nation. And we saw what disastrous consequences flowed from that.
Chief Justice Roberts seems to define judicial activism as the Court's officious resolution of an ongoing national debate. It is certainly easy to decry the Dred Scott decision, which is uniformly reviled, as judicial activism. If the Court had concluded that freed slaves were entitled to full national citizenship, though, would it be as easy to characterize that conclusion as judicial activism? In a recent episode of C-SPAN's America and the Courts, Professor Mark Graber expressed his sentiment on that issue, noting that “judicial activism is when the court makes rulings that I do not like . . . I think we would all be better off if we skipped the words the 'judicial activism' from our vocabulary.”

The Dred Scott decision is remembered as dividing the nation, precipitating the Civil War and ultimately being overturned by the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments. 150 years later, one might ask what the legacy of the Dred Scott decision is. Perhaps its legacy is seen most starkly in the war on terror. In a recent SSRN paper, Professors Jack Balkin and Sanford Levinson suggests that Chief Justice Taney's analysis of who is a entitled to the rights of citizenship is eerily evocative of ongoing debates over who is entitled to constitutional protections:

We get closer to understanding Taney’s logic when we think about the obligations we owe to suspected enemies of the state, and, in particular, how we should conduct what the Bush Administration terms the “global war on terror.” Surely the most dramatic example involves the Administration’s assertions of authority in a famous Office of Legal Counsel . . . memo to engage in torture—or “cruel, inhuman, and degrading” methods of interrogation—on those persons the President deems, often by fiat, potential enemies of the country. Torture, almost by definition, requires treating another person as if he or she has no rights that the interrogator is “bound to respect.”

"No Rights Which the White Man was Bound to Respect" | ACS

toomuchtime said:
How long can the Democratic Party survive without dealing with real issues?
Ten Years Ago
Same-Sex Marriage Wasn't On Anyone's Radar
So Who Made It A Pressing 'Real Issue' ??
...Media

Media Will Decide What The Issues Are
And Decide Who The Candidates Are
For You To Support

Straight Party Democrat Ticket
That's All You Need To Know

Last edited:

Here's one:

If you don't think they mean payments, then just what do you think they mean by reparations?

Here's one:

It was the host's suggestion and Kamala agreed, and doubled down on it with the NY Times.
What is a person to take away from that......LESH??????????????????????????

Forum List

Back