Republicans really don’t understand poverty in America

1) The US has the widest income disparity in the world and its poverty is the worst among developed nations

2) Wages are way behind on inflation in this country.

3) Lower wage jobs - including skilled labor - greatly outnumber higher wage jobs. This means 10s of millions of people have NO CHOICE but to accept low wages.

4) Republicans, in their lazy mental shortcuts, think the only thing one in poverty must do is learn new skills and get a better paying job. The ignorance of this is profound. A) poor people do not have the time and money to learn new skills in the current economic climate. B) If everyone in poverty did this, who would be left over working all of those millions of vital low wage service jobs? Who will be left as the backbone of a corporation that pays poverty wages? Is a robot going to take over the front register at Burger King? That will probably happen anyway, but does that sit well with republicans knowing that? This is why the minimum wage must be raised.

The process of raising the minimum wage should have begun decades ago and raising it drastically now would agreeably be the wrong approach. It needs to start off small.

And I know some of you cons will say “well why didn’t Obama fix income inequality?!” Yes, he failed in addressing this issue, but obviously the problem of income disparity is still a major problem whether or not you want to deflect to Obama. Of course, as you may recall, he did try to raise the minimum wage.
Sadly, Billy000, even folks who might be undecided regarding the veracity or predominantly likely veracity of your central thesis -- Republicans don't understand poverty -- your OP presents a very uncompelling argument and thus is very unlikely to generate concurrence among such individuals. Obviously, among folks who agreed with the thesis upon encountering your OP will continue to do so, though some of them may be somewhat embarrassed by the nature of advocacy found in your argument/OP.

Why do I say that? Well, in recognition of the fact that sound/cogent (strong) arguments must have germane and accurate premises, along with a conclusion (thesis) that follows rationally from them, let's consider some of your premises.

The US has the widest income disparity in the world
Income inequality is, in isolation, irrelevant to poverty. Why? Because measures of income inequality identify the extent of difference in the income of earners at the top and bottom ends of the income spectrum.

Assume, for instance, the above figures portray a 198% difference between the average incomes of the highest and lowest earning individuals and that the ~$34K/year figure represents a poverty-level income for a one person household. The same measure income inequality, 198%, would exist were the average incomes of the lowest and highest earners $100,000/year and $19,802,310.​

Would there then be cause to gripe about income inequality in terms of poverty? It would not. It would not because poverty is a matter whereby how much more or less others make isn't what defines whether one is impoverished. Whether one is impoverished is a function of one's available money (current income and accumulated income, aka wealth) and the prices of goods and services one must buy (food, housing, clothing, transportation, information, fees and excise taxes, etc.) and that are not considered economic luxury goods and services. [1]

Because income inequality is merely a difference measure, if one is of a mind to use it in an argument pertaining to poverty and what someone else has overlooked, one must combine one's discussion of income inequality with a discussion about prices. That is so whether one chooses to approach income inequality from the standpoint of income growth or by citing temporally static observations of income.

Note:
  1. Economically, luxury goods/services are forms of a "product" that are, in one's local economy, optional. For instance, in D.C., transportation is not an economic luxury good, however, transportation via one's privately owned car is an economic luxury good. In other local economies, that may or may not be so.

in their lazy mental shortcuts, think the only thing one in poverty must do is learn new skills and get a better paying job.
Well, to rise above the poverty what the hell else must one in poverty do but get a better paying job?
  • It's not as though there's an abundance of "rich, dead uncles" having unclaimed fortuners.
  • A poor person may win the lottery, but the odds of that are very slim.
  • Theft is also an option, albeit an unlawful and unrecommended one.
The government offers assistance programs of which impoverished people can avail themselves to obtain resources by which to live and marketable skills they may sell to buyers of labor. I suppose the government could also offer resources that allow impoverished people to emigrate, but not since the 1840s have people proposed that approach, and even then it wasn't proposed as an explicit solution for poverty.

in their lazy mental shortcuts, think the only thing one in poverty must do is learn new skills and get a better paying job. The ignorance of this is profound. A) poor people do not have the time and money to learn new skills in the current economic climate. B) If everyone in poverty did this, who would be left over working all of those millions of vital low wage service jobs?

Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • How can poor people have no time to learn new skills?
    • Even if they work and raise kids, the fact that they are impoverished and don't want to be impoverished means they must find time to learn new skills.
    • If you clicked on the link just above and read the content at some of those articles, you'll have read about destitute individuals who parlayed their existing skills into profitable ventures. Quite simply, if one is of a mind to not be impoverished, one's first priority must be to do things that alter one's status as impoverished. Of all the things one might do with one's time, a use of it that one can be certain won't alter one's impoverished status is devoting so much of one's time performing a "dead end" job that doesn't pay enough to meet one's goals that one, in turn, has no time to invest any of it doing things that will alter that status.
  • How much money must one have to learn new skills?
    • College -- Far too few folks who are impoverished avail themselves of the fact that the priciest and most elite colleges and universities make it possible for qualified "ultra poor" individuals to obtain an education from them. That they do is one of the most significant and most easily accessed "field levelers" around. That such institutions meet 100% of demonstrated financial need prepares and enables "the least among us" to join the ranks of "the haves," and it precisely why a friend of mine who mentors young poor kids directs them to apply to the most elite private colleges and universities in the country. The money is there to be given out and those poor kids are most in need of it, so it's just flat-out stupid not to be a high performer in high school, apply to those institutions and, upon being accepted for admission, obtain it. For example:
    • Adult training programs
Simply put, if one is poor, the things one cannot afford is indolence, ignorance, insipidity and fatuity.

Is a robot going to take over the front register at Burger King? That will probably happen anyway
Do you truly not see the argumentative contradiction in asking that question, the answer to which is indeed that the function will be automated [1], by asserting that a robot will probably perform that job?

Note:
  1. Automation of that sort is already happening in stores where it's economically feasible to do so.

The process of raising the minimum wage should have begun decades ago and raising it drastically now would agreeably be the wrong approach. It needs to start off small.

That process did begin decades ago and has been going on for years, since at least 1938 in the U.S. You and others may differ normatively about the rate and incidence of minimum wage increases, but the process of raising it has been going on for decades.

I know some of you cons will say “well why didn’t Obama fix income inequality?!”
For the same reasons and in the context I indicated in my above discussion about income inequality, even if they do, it's an ingermane question to ask.

Why have I written the above remarks? Only to implore you, OP-er, to, if you cannot (or don't want to) present a sound argument, at least present a cogent/strong one. (See: Difference between argumentative/analytical soundness and cogency -- the difference between the two is in the nature of their conclusions, not that of their premises.) Frankly, I think many Republicans don't understand poverty period, be it in America or anywhere else; however, I cannot tick "agree" on your OP because the argument it presents in support of your central assertion/conclusion is too weak to agree with. I don't here expect folks to present perfect arguments, but my approbation nonetheless requires a stronger argument than you've presented. After all, one cannot be taken seriously in a discussion about public policy and have weak arguments for one's positions.

1) It’s pretty simple to understand why income disparity affects poverty. Productivity among low wage jobs has skyrocketed over the last few decades. Rather than these workers seeing a raise in their wages, their wages have gone up very little. Instead of these corporations investing in higher wages given the rise in productivity, they keep that money that was made off the backs of their low level workers. If the top 1% becomes bloated, it is because these lower wage people are not seeing any benefit in the skyrocketing profits of corporate America. These low wages are way behind on the rate of inflation while top earners’ pay is well ahead of it.

2) Christ dude lol. I’m not saying that it is pointless for poor people to learn new skills. I’m saying it’s stupid to suggest this is a cure-all for poverty itself. As you alluded to, it is extremely difficult for single parents to find the time and money to learn new skills. That is a reality whether you like it or not. And again, if every poor person did this and found better paying skilled jobs, WHO would fill all those millions of entry level jobs left behind that pay shit? Obviously corporations depend on this kind of labor. Also, you citing anecdotal stories as evidence of economics is a terrible fallacious argument.

3) My reference to automation was besides my point. I said it as a digression. It would have better had I not said it because I’ll admit it was confusing to add, but you wasting so much energy on trying to prove automation is already happening was pointless lol. I already know automation is currently happening.

4) Yes, the minimum wage has been raised over time in the past. However, my obvious point is that it hasn’t kept up with inflation. Obviously that matters.

5) Also, you are a pretentious, pontificating douche bag.

It’s pretty simple to understand why income disparity affects poverty. Productivity among low wage jobs has skyrocketed over the last few decades. Rather than these workers seeing a raise in their wages, their wages have gone up very little.

Okay...Did you not thoroughly read my post? If you did, clearly my attempt to explain the weakness of your argument in neutrally non-criticizing/non-castigatory terms didn't work, let me try a mildly derisive approach.

What is that it? That’s all you have to say? Also, I definitely adequately explained why income disparity is related to poverty. You just choose deny it.

income disparity affects poverty
Example of how cause and effect works:

• Action/Cause --> Person A earns a wage, A1. Person B earns a wage, B1.
  • Outcome/Effect --> Person A is impoverished/lives in poverty. Person B does not live in poverty.
Income inequality in the population comprised solely of persons A and B is merely |A1 - B1|. Income inequality is a measure, not a cause of anything, not something that affects anything, and the magnitude of that particular measure has nothing to do with whether one is impoverished or not.

it is extremely difficult for single parents to find the time and money to learn new skills. That is a reality whether you like it or not.
The difficulty is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that it's extremely difficult to do pretty much anything that is worth doing. I can assure you that very few people who crafted for themselves a career that later produced a fine income didn't work very hard to make that happen. What's easy is winning the lottery and letting things fall into one's lap. Making anything worthwhile happen is difficult.

My reference to automation was besides my point.
All the more why your argument in support of your thesis statement is weak. Your remark about automation is precisely the answer to the question you posed, and yet you consider it an ancillary factor in arriving at the answer to your question.
if every poor person did this and found better paying skilled jobs, WHO would fill all those millions of entry level jobs left behind that pay shit?
Throughout history, goods and service providers who do so for profit have performed essentially the same cost-benefit analysis with regard to the two most controllable factors of production -- that is, determining whether their business will obtain greater returns from capital or from labor. The fact of the matter is that when a firm's operating model for using low cost labor presents less profit than does the firm's model for using capital, the firm's managers will commence to pare back its use of labor and increase its use of capital.

Yes, the minimum wage has been raised over time in the past. However, my obvious point is that it hasn’t kept up with inflation. Obviously that matters.
If you truly don't see the substantive difference between saying that "minimum wage increases haven't kept pace with inflation" and what you did write...
The process of raising the minimum wage should have begun decades ago
....I think you and I should cease and desist right here. If you want to present an argument for a given stance, present a strong one or a weak one, but either way, at least state what you mean -- and with regard to points of observable fact such as for how long ago the "process of raising the minimum wage should have begun," what is indeed so -- rather than expecting your reader to know/infer that you aren't a nitwit, dissembler, ignoramus, lazy f*ck, or whatever who actually believes or didn't confirm the veracity of what you wrote.

I definitely adequately explained why income disparity is related to poverty.
And yet, whatever be that relationship has no bearing on whether or not your thesis statement -- "Republicans really don’t understand poverty in America" -- is mostly, likely, or even somewhat true, credible or plausible. Simply put, that...
1) The US has the widest income disparity in the world
...doesn't do a damn thing to show that "Republicans really don’t understand poverty in America."

As I stated before, and took the time to explain in detail, the problem isn't that I disagree with your thesis statement; the problem is that the argument you present in your OP is too damn weak to be construed as a cogent basis for agreeing with your thesis statement.
Frankly, I think many Republicans don't understand poverty period, be it in America or anywhere else; however, I cannot tick "agree" on your OP because the argument it presents in support of your central assertion/conclusion is too weak to agree with. I don't here expect folks to present perfect arguments, but my approbation nonetheless requires a stronger argument than you've presented. After all, one cannot be taken seriously in a discussion about public policy and have weak arguments for one's positions.

Aside:
While half of Trump's problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that he lies too damn much, the other half of it is that he daily makes claims for which either (1) neither he nor anyone else is willing to present a strong case for their (likely or actual) veracity, and/or (2) there simply is no strong case that can be made for the claims' (likely or actual) veracity.​

1) The US has the widest income disparity in the world and its poverty is the worst among developed nations

3) Lower wage jobs - including skilled labor - greatly outnumber higher wage jobs. This means 10s of millions of people have NO CHOICE but to accept low wages.

4) Republicans, in their lazy mental shortcuts, think the only thing one in poverty must do is learn new skills and get a better paying job. The ignorance of this is profound. A) poor people do not have the time and money to learn new skills in the current economic climate. B) If everyone in poverty did this, who would be left over working all of those millions of vital low wage service jobs? Who will be left as the backbone of a corporation that pays poverty wages? Is a robot going to take over the front register at Burger King? That will probably happen anyway, but does that sit well with republicans knowing that? This is why the minimum wage must be raised.

And I know some of you cons will say “well why didn’t Obama fix income inequality?!” Yes, he failed in addressing this issue, but obviously the problem of income disparity is still a major problem whether or not you want to deflect to Obama. Of course, as you may recall, he did try to raise the minimum wage.
"...
its poverty is the worst among developed nations ..."

Brazil -

3442511647_4bae033196_o-e1466092721751.jpg

Germany -

germany-poorest-since-reunification.si.jpg

UK -

f-venezuela-a-20160610-870x580.jpg

Sweden -

images

Skilled jobs can't find enough workers ... Americans are too lazy, and too content, to try to learn new skills. The liberal "welfare net" destroys incentive for working to transition out of poverty.

Poverty level in US - $24,600
FEDERAL benefits available to poverty - $28,000 (even if you're making $24K)
STATE benefits available to poverty - $17K (MS) to 49K (HI)

Your paragraph 4 ? Circular nonsense .. bitch and moan about low paying jobs, and then bitch and moan because people can work their way out of them, making room for the next generation.

You truly need to get out more ----- you are so out of touch with the real world.

Sadly, Billy000, even folks who might be undecided regarding the veracity or predominantly likely veracity of your central thesis -- Republicans don't understand poverty -- your OP presents a very uncompelling argument and thus is very unlikely to generate concurrence among such individuals. Obviously, among folks who agreed with the thesis upon encountering your OP will continue to do so, though some of them may be somewhat embarrassed by the nature of advocacy found in your argument/OP.

Why do I say that? Well, in recognition of the fact that sound/cogent (strong) arguments must have germane and accurate premises, along with a conclusion (thesis) that follows rationally from them, let's consider some of your premises.

The US has the widest income disparity in the world
Income inequality is, in isolation, irrelevant to poverty. Why? Because measures of income inequality identify the extent of difference in the income of earners at the top and bottom ends of the income spectrum.

Assume, for instance, the above figures portray a 198% difference between the average incomes of the highest and lowest earning individuals and that the ~$34K/year figure represents a poverty-level income for a one person household. The same measure income inequality, 198%, would exist were the average incomes of the lowest and highest earners $100,000/year and $19,802,310.​

Would there then be cause to gripe about income inequality in terms of poverty? It would not. It would not because poverty is a matter whereby how much more or less others make isn't what defines whether one is impoverished. Whether one is impoverished is a function of one's available money (current income and accumulated income, aka wealth) and the prices of goods and services one must buy (food, housing, clothing, transportation, information, fees and excise taxes, etc.) and that are not considered economic luxury goods and services. [1]

Because income inequality is merely a difference measure, if one is of a mind to use it in an argument pertaining to poverty and what someone else has overlooked, one must combine one's discussion of income inequality with a discussion about prices. That is so whether one chooses to approach income inequality from the standpoint of income growth or by citing temporally static observations of income.

Note:
  1. Economically, luxury goods/services are forms of a "product" that are, in one's local economy, optional. For instance, in D.C., transportation is not an economic luxury good, however, transportation via one's privately owned car is an economic luxury good. In other local economies, that may or may not be so.

in their lazy mental shortcuts, think the only thing one in poverty must do is learn new skills and get a better paying job.
Well, to rise above the poverty what the hell else must one in poverty do but get a better paying job?
  • It's not as though there's an abundance of "rich, dead uncles" having unclaimed fortuners.
The government offers assistance programs of which impoverished people can avail themselves to obtain resources by which to live and marketable skills they may sell to buyers of labor. I suppose the government could also offer resources that allow impoverished people to emigrate, but not since the 1840s have people proposed that approach, and even then it wasn't proposed as an explicit solution for poverty.

in their lazy mental shortcuts, think the only thing one in poverty must do is learn new skills and get a better paying job. The ignorance of this is profound. A) poor people do not have the time and money to learn new skills in the current economic climate. B) If everyone in poverty did this, who would be left over working all of those millions of vital low wage service jobs?

• Even if they work and raise kids, the fact that they are impoverished and don't want to be impoverished means they must find time to learn new skills.
    • If you clicked on the link just above and read the content at some of those articles, you'll have read about destitute individuals who parlayed their existing skills into profitable ventures. Quite simply, if one is of a mind to not be impoverished, one's first priority must be to do things that alter one's status as impoverished. Of all the things one might do with one's time, a use of it that one can be certain won't alter one's impoverished status is devoting so much of one's time performing a "dead end" job that doesn't pay enough to meet one's goals that one, in turn, has no time to invest any of it doing things that will alter that status.
    • College -- Far too few folks who are impoverished avail themselves of the fact that the priciest and most elite colleges and universities make it possible for qualified "ultra poor" individuals to obtain an education from them. That they do is one of the most significant and most easily accessed "field levelers" around. That such institutions meet 100% of demonstrated financial need prepares and enables "the least among us" to join the ranks of "the haves," and it precisely why a friend of mine who mentors young poor kids directs them to apply to the most elite private colleges and universities in the country. The money is there to be given out and those poor kids are most in need of it, so it's just flat-out stupid not to be a high performer in high school, apply to those institutions and, upon being accepted for admission, obtain it. For example:
Simply put, if one is poor, the things one cannot afford is indolence, ignorance, insipidity and fatuity.

Is a robot going to take over the front register at Burger King? That will probably happen anyway
Do you truly not see the argumentative contradiction in asking that question, the answer to which is indeed that the function will be automated [1], by asserting that a robot will probably perform that job?

Note:
  1. Automation of that sort is already happening in stores where it's economically feasible to do so.

That process did begin decades ago and has been going on for years, since at least 1938 in the U.S. You and others may differ normatively about the rate and incidence of minimum wage increases, but the process of raising it has been going on for decades.

I know some of you cons will say “well why didn’t Obama fix income inequality?!”
For the same reasons and in the context I indicated in my above discussion about income inequality, even if they do, it's an ingermane question to ask.

Why have I written the above remarks? Only to implore you, OP-er, to, if you cannot (or don't want to) present a sound argument, at least present a cogent/strong one. (See: Difference between argumentative/analytical soundness and cogency -- the difference between the two is in the nature of their conclusions, not that of their premises.) Frankly, I think many Republicans don't understand poverty period, be it in America or anywhere else; however, I cannot tick "agree" on your OP because the argument it presents in support of your central assertion/conclusion is too weak to agree with. I don't here expect folks to present perfect arguments, but my approbation nonetheless requires a stronger argument than you've presented. After all, one cannot be taken seriously in a discussion about public policy and have weak arguments for one's positions.

1) It’s pretty simple to understand why income disparity affects poverty. Productivity among low wage jobs has skyrocketed over the last few decades. Rather than these workers seeing a raise in their wages, their wages have gone up very little. Instead of these corporations investing in higher wages given the rise in productivity, they keep that money that was made off the backs of their low level workers. If the top 1% becomes bloated, it is because these lower wage people are not seeing any benefit in the skyrocketing profits of corporate America. These low wages are way behind on the rate of inflation while top earners’ pay is well ahead of it.

2) Christ dude lol. I’m not saying that it is pointless for poor people to learn new skills. I’m saying it’s stupid to suggest this is a cure-all for poverty itself. As you alluded to, it is extremely difficult for single parents to find the time and money to learn new skills. That is a reality whether you like it or not. And again, if every poor person did this and found better paying skilled jobs, WHO would fill all those millions of entry level jobs left behind that pay shit? Obviously corporations depend on this kind of labor. Also, you citing anecdotal stories as evidence of economics is a terrible fallacious argument.

3) My reference to automation was besides my point. I said it as a digression. It would have better had I not said it because I’ll admit it was confusing to add, but you wasting so much energy on trying to prove automation is already happening was pointless lol. I already know automation is currently happening.

4) Yes, the minimum wage has been raised over time in the past. However, my obvious point is that it hasn’t kept up with inflation. Obviously that matters.

It’s pretty simple to understand why income disparity affects poverty. Productivity among low wage jobs has skyrocketed over the last few decades. Rather than these workers seeing a raise in their wages, their wages have gone up very little.

Okay...Did you not thoroughly read my post? If you did, clearly my attempt to explain the weakness of your argument in neutrally non-criticizing/non-castigatory terms didn't work, let me try a mildly derisive approach.

What is that it? That’s all you have to say? Also, I definitely adequately explained why income disparity is related to poverty. You just choose deny it.

• Outcome/Effect --> Person A is impoverished/lives in poverty. Person B does not live in poverty.
Income inequality in the population comprised solely of persons A and B is merely |A1 - B1|. Income inequality is a measure, not a cause of anything, not something that affects anything, and the magnitude of that particular measure has nothing to do with whether one is impoverished or not.

it is extremely difficult for single parents to find the time and money to learn new skills. That is a reality whether you like it or not.
The difficulty is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that it's extremely difficult to do pretty much anything that is worth doing. I can assure you that very few people who crafted for themselves a career that later produced a fine income didn't work very hard to make that happen. What's easy is winning the lottery and letting things fall into one's lap. Making anything worthwhile happen is difficult.

All the more why your argument in support of your thesis statement is weak. Your remark about automation is precisely the answer to the question you posed, and yet you consider it an ancillary factor in arriving at the answer to your question.
if every poor person did this and found better paying skilled jobs, WHO would fill all those millions of entry level jobs left behind that pay shit?
Throughout history, goods and service providers who do so for profit have performed essentially the same cost-benefit analysis with regard to the two most controllable factors of production -- that is, determining whether their business will obtain greater returns from capital or from labor. The fact of the matter is that when a firm's operating model for using low cost labor presents less profit than does the firm's model for using capital, the firm's managers will commence to pare back its use of labor and increase its use of capital.

Yes, the minimum wage has been raised over time in the past. However, my obvious point is that it hasn’t kept up with inflation. Obviously that matters.
If you truly don't see the substantive difference between saying that "minimum wage increases haven't kept pace with inflation" and what you did write...
....I think you and I should cease and desist right here. If you want to present an argument for a given stance, present a strong one or a weak one, but either way, at least state what you mean -- and with regard to points of observable fact such as for how long ago the "process of raising the minimum wage should have begun," what is indeed so -- rather than expecting your reader to know/infer that you aren't a nitwit, dissembler, ignoramus, lazy f*ck, or whatever who actually believes or didn't confirm the veracity of what you wrote.

And yet, whatever be that relationship has no bearing on whether or not your thesis statement -- "Republicans really don’t understand poverty in America" -- is mostly, likely, or even somewhat true, credible or plausible. Simply put, that...
...doesn't do a damn thing to show that "Republicans really don’t understand poverty in America."

As I stated before, and took the time to explain in detail, the problem isn't that I disagree with your thesis statement; the problem is that the argument you present in your OP is too damn weak to be construed as a cogent basis for agreeing with your thesis statement.
Frankly, I think many Republicans don't understand poverty period, be it in America or anywhere else; however, I cannot tick "agree" on your OP because the argument it presents in support of your central assertion/conclusion is too weak to agree with. I don't here expect folks to present perfect arguments, but my approbation nonetheless requires a stronger argument than you've presented. After all, one cannot be taken seriously in a discussion about public policy and have weak arguments for one's positions.

Aside:
While half of Trump's problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that he lies too damn much, the other half of it is that he daily makes claims for which either (1) neither he nor anyone else is willing to present a strong case for their (likely or actual) veracity, and/or (2) there simply is no strong case that can be made for the claims' (likely or actual) veracity.​

1) This isn’t hard to figure out. If the top earners salaries only increase, it means the profits of the corporation do not at all affect the lower wages. Corporate greed causes poverty with wages behind on inflation for their low level workers. That is basic cause and effect.

2) You’re talking like some calendar with an inspirational quote. Sometimes a working person’s financial situation makes finding time and money for learning new applicable skills impossible.

3) Wait what? This is simple to figure out. Yes because minimum wage hasn’t kept up with inflation, the process of raising it should have started decades ago. How are you not seeing that connection?

4) Republicans don’t understand economics as evidenced by their dismissal of the significance of income disparity.

5) Whoa hold on lol. You’re saying that the answer to filling those leftover low wage jobs is with automation? What the fuck? You do know that if 10s of millions of impoverished people all learned new skills, the majority of them wouldn’t find jobs because those jobs are already highly competitive. The amount of people seeking employment would greatly outnumber the amount of positions available.

Last edited:

Note:

Note:

Aside:

1) This isn’t hard to figure out. If the top earners salaries only increase, it means the profits of the corporation do not at all affect the wages. Corporate greed causes poverty with wages behind on inflation for their low level workers. That is basic cause and effect.

2) You’re talking like some calendar with an inspirational quote. Sometimes a working person’s financial situation makes finding time and money for learning new applicable skills impossible.

3) Wait what? This is simple to figure out. Yes because minimum wage hasn’t kept up with inflation, the process of raising it should have started decades ago. How are you not seeing that connection?

4) Republicans don’t understand economics as evidenced by their dismissing the significance of income disparity.

5) Whoa hold on lol. You’re saying that the answer to filling those leftover low wage jobs is with automation? What the fuck? You do know that if 10s of millions of impoverished people all learned new skills, the majority of them wouldn’t find jobs because those jobs are already highly competitive. The amount of people seeking employment would greatly outnumber the amount of positions available.

No offense, my friend ... but you truly are a blight on the reputation of public education in this country.

You clearly have absolutely no idea about macroeconomics ... I'm not sure where you got your talking points, but whoever gave them to you is a damn fool and an idiot.

Note:

Note:

Aside:

1) This isn’t hard to figure out. If the top earners salaries only increase, it means the profits of the corporation do not at all affect the lower wages. Corporate greed causes poverty with wages behind on inflation for their low level workers. That is basic cause and effect.

4) Republicans don’t understand economics as evidenced by their dismissal of the significance of income disparity.

You just keep thinking that....

Republicans don’t understand economics as evidenced by their dismissal of the significance of income disparity.
That assertion about what Republicans don't understand is true only for some Republicans, apparently the ones to whose remarks you listen.
If one wants to reduce the incidence of poverty in the U.S., fine, advocate for policies that do so, but don't think that policies that are sure to reduce income inequality will necessarily result in a material diminution of the incidence of poverty. Income inequality is not a cause of poverty; therefore reducing it cannot materially reduce poverty. What reducing income inequality can do is either make some poor people less poor and make some people less rich, or both. In doing so, however, there's no guarantee that fewer people will be (or become) impoverished.

To wit:
Imagine a society comprised of 250M households and where poverty-level income is defined as "less than $30K/year in wage income" for a single-person household. Of those households, let 10M of them be single person households having income of comprised entirely of wage income less than or equal to $25K/year ($11.97/hour). Let's say that the society's government implements policies that raise by 20% the wage incomes of people earning $25K/year or less.

Questions:
  1. Does such a policy reduce income inequality?
  2. How many of the single person households would be elevated above the poverty level as a result of the government policy?
  3. If, in the above scenario, the lowest income earned by any single person household were $25K/year, after the policy's implementation, insofar as there would then be no single-person households in poverty, would you no longer see income inequality as problematic? Why or why not?
Answers:
  1. Maybe yes or maybe no. We cannot, given the information in the scenario because we have no idea of how income of the society's highest earners changed, quantify the extent to which income inequality changed.
    • Maybe yes --> If the highest earners incomes increased less than 20%, yes, the policy reduced income inequality because the lowest earning people will have realized a greater percentage increase in their wages than will have the highest earning people.
    • Maybe no --> If the highest earners incomes increased by 20% or more, no, the policy did not reduce income inequality.
    • Moral relativism conundrum: Let's just say that the highest earners in the society have wage incomes of $5M/year or more and that their incomes increased by 5% on account of their simply being given pay raises. That gives each of them at least $250K of additional income. Does the fact that they got a 5% increase whereas the lowest earners got a 20% increase make you feel any better about income inequality?
  2. However many of them, before the policy's implementation, earned $25K/year or more.
  3. [That is your answer to provide.]
Hopefully the above example illustrates for you why "attacking" income inequality is a sophistic tactic for reducing poverty. Initiatives to reduce income inequality may reduce poverty to some extent, but only immaterially so and not nearly to the extent that nor with as much satisfaction and durability as will initiatives that address (i.e, reduce the impactfulness of) the specific causes of poverty and let the Gini coefficient change accordingly.

Remember: what you want to change is the nature and extent of impoverishment among the citizenry; don't make out that income inequality is a proxy for poverty because it's not. If few to no people are impoverished, who gives a damn that some people make a "sh*tload" more money than do others?

Sowing social unrest and class resentment makes America weaker, not stronger. Pitting one group against another only distracts us from the true sources of inequity in this country—corporate welfare that enriches the powerful, and empty promises that betray the powerless.
-- Paul Ryan, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives​

Nonsense! This Republican has been poor most of his life and homeless twice. This Republican never took a government hand out but did make a killing in the stock market starting with one thousand dollars that I saved up. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

c288b7ee93f0c4f1af35ee71c5ddd84f.png

View attachment 174738

Donald and Hillary should get a room. There is a match made in Heaven.

View attachment 174738

Donald and Hillary should get a room. There is a match made in Heaven.
Even if Donald went full-snowflake Democrat, he wouldn't go from Melania to the Beast. Even politicians have their limits.

Aside from a few homeless bums strung out on crack or inflicted with some mental illness, we don't have poverty in the U.S.
I bet you've investigated every American in the USA to make that evaluation...

When we have this in our country, get back to me.

View attachment 174724
Get back to me when you stop having such a hard heart and no feelings for fellow human beings, but until then keep that thought..
image002.jpg

Aside from a few homeless bums strung out on crack or inflicted with some mental illness, we don't have poverty in the U.S.

View attachment 174724
Get back to me when you stop having such a hard heart and no feelings for fellow human beings, but until then keep that thought..
image002.jpg

Fuck them and hurrah for me! Losers will be expelled from the gene pool. Blame Darwin and not me.

View attachment 174724
image002.jpg

Fuck them and hurrah for me! Losers will be expelled from the gene pool. Blame Darwin and not me.
Darwin wrote a book, that is all..

View attachment 174724
image002.jpg

The Survival of the Species by Propagation of the Fittest is not the title of his book but cuts to the chase.

View attachment 174724
image002.jpg

The Survival of the Species by Propagation of the Fittest is not the title of his book but cuts to the chase.
Yet the country claims to be Christian in nature and Darwinist...

View attachment 174724
image002.jpg

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That is a deep thought question which ramifications on who created the universe which starts arguments in physics. God is the chicken and the egg is a random quantum mechanical event.

image002.jpg

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That is a deep thought question which ramifications on who created the universe which starts arguments in physics. God is the chicken and the egg is a random quantum mechanical event.
I'll take my quantum mechanics over easy..

View attachment 174724
You don't set the bar very high

We are the wealthiest nation on earth. Yet our healthcare is crippling the working class. Our roads are crumbling. Personal debt is increasing. Higher education is unaffordable

We just don't seem to have the money (we used to)

Exactly!!!

Which of course is why nobody from other countries ever want to come to America.

As it shoild. The US is a nation based on equality of opportunity, not equality of results. You can choose to try to make something of yourself or to do nothing with yourself. Different choices lead to different outcomrs.

2) Wages are way behind on inflation in this country.outcomes.

So what? The fact that employers are forced to pay a minimum hourly wage to workers who are often not even worth $7.25 an hour is stupid in my mind.

Higher paying jobs are less numerous becayse they require more technical skills, supervisory abilities and the capability to work with less oversight and assistance from others. If everyone could be a nuclear reactor technician, thzt job would pay minimum wage, jyst like a cashier at McDonald's does.

A. Minimum wage jobs were intended for people just stsrting out in life. They are intended to provide a minimal income whole one is still in school or until you can get your foot in the door at a company that can utilize the skills and talents you've refined in school. If a minimum wage job is your career you fucked up month before the first time you said "would you like fries with that?"

B. There will always be children, retirees, and the incompetent to fill those jobs. Many can (and are) being transitioned to mechanical or robotic systems. That's fine with me. I trust the robot to prepare my food with the special instructions I require far more thsn Roberta at the counter and Jose on the grill.

The process of raising the minimum wage will occur when A) the number of morons willing to take minimum wage jobs at $7.35 an hour dries up and B) the work those employees do brings their employers enough extra income so the added employment costs do not interfere with profit levels.

Forum List

Back