Rob Portman Reverses Gay Marriage Stance After Son Comes Out

I don't believe that it will hurt the GOP to stand with the will of the people. The matter has been addressed. Most Americans do not believe in same sex marriage and don't want it. Marriage belongs between a man and a woman. God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. Talk about confusion! No better word to describe the mindset of the homosexuals in this country.

I'm just wondering what happens when ALAC ( American Law for American Courtrooms ) gets turned back and Sharia law comes in full swing to the courtrooms. ( part of Obamas promise to MB on what he'd do for muslims in America ) All of you are on record demanding your rights as gays. The penalty for being gay under Sharia Law is death. Some of you are definitely not thinking with your heads here. - Jeremiah

The majority of Ameircans currently support same sex marriage.

While a majority of the citizens of some states may oppose it, nationally this is not the case.

You can't have it both ways.

You can't say that the majority of Americans support it then say that the majority of citizens oppose it.

A March Quinnipiac University poll found 47% support and 43% opposed among all voters.

A March Fox News poll indicated that 46% of Americans both support and oppose same-sex marriage.

Given the margin or error and the fact that in the Quinniac poll for example less than 2000 people were polled it hardly supports the contentioin that same sex marriage is widely accepted.

I don't believe that it will hurt the GOP to stand with the will of the people. The matter has been addressed. Most Americans do not believe in same sex marriage and don't want it. Marriage belongs between a man and a woman. God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. Talk about confusion! No better word to describe the mindset of the homosexuals in this country.

I'm just wondering what happens when ALAC ( American Law for American Courtrooms ) gets turned back and Sharia law comes in full swing to the courtrooms. ( part of Obamas promise to MB on what he'd do for muslims in America ) All of you are on record demanding your rights as gays. The penalty for being gay under Sharia Law is death. Some of you are definitely not thinking with your heads here. - Jeremiah

While a majority of the citizens of some states may oppose it, nationally this is not the case.

You can't say that the majority of Americans support it then say that the majority of citizens oppose it.

A March Quinnipiac University poll found 47% support and 43% opposed among all voters.

A March Fox News poll indicated that 46% of Americans both support and oppose same-sex marriage.

Given the margin or error and the fact that in the Quinniac poll for example less than 2000 people were polled it hardly supports the contentioin that same sex marriage is widely accepted.

I said the majority NATIONALLY support it, while the majority IN SOME STATES oppose it.

Simple concept.

Listen lady, there are people who are attracted to kids too but they don't act out on the behavior or they will go to prison... were paedophiles born that way? No and neither were homosexuals. I didn't say the attraction isn't there - it is quite clear that lust is a huge factor in homosexuals acting out their fantasies - whatever - but the fact is if you are acting on it you are going to hell. I didn't say that Romans 1 says that and so does Revelation 21 so as long as you are willing to go to hell for it - it is your decision.

One more thing about the conservative who flipped on gay marriage. What they did was they denied Jesus Christ and His Word by putting their childs perverse lifestyle above their own relationship and dedication to God and His Word ( The bible ) - Jeremiah

- Jeremiah

There it is......the "homosexuals = pedophiles" argument.

Please. There are far more heterosexuals that are pedophiles than gays. There are far more heterosexual deviants of all kinds (rapists, murderers, sadists, etc...) than there are deviant gays. Don't get me started.

If a man molests young boys, he's not a heterosexual.

Definition of HOMOSEXUAL
1: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex
2: of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between persons of the same sex

IMHO:
The government should not be sanctioning marriage of any kind... or forbidding marriage.
Marriage is a sacriment of the church.
If the government wants to offer benefits to couples, then fine. Do it without discrimination. But don't call it marriage ... "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Give unto God what is God's."

Listen lady, there are people who are attracted to kids too but they don't act out on the behavior or they will go to prison... were paedophiles born that way? No and neither were homosexuals. I didn't say the attraction isn't there - it is quite clear that lust is a huge factor in homosexuals acting out their fantasies - whatever - but the fact is if you are acting on it you are going to hell. I didn't say that Romans 1 says that and so does Revelation 21 so as long as you are willing to go to hell for it - it is your decision.

One more thing about the conservative who flipped on gay marriage. What they did was they denied Jesus Christ and His Word by putting their childs perverse lifestyle above their own relationship and dedication to God and His Word ( The bible ) - Jeremiah

- Jeremiah

There it is......the "homosexuals = pedophiles" argument.

Please. There are far more heterosexuals that are pedophiles than gays. There are far more heterosexual deviants of all kinds (rapists, murderers, sadists, etc...) than there are deviant gays. Don't get me started.

This isn't a contest. Gays want to avoid the truth. Men who pray on underage boys are sick freaks but they're still gay. Gays simply want to push away the stigma.

Truth is there are reasons unnatural sex should be discouraged. One reason isn't the cause. It's the unintended consequences that arise. Some Gays have long relationships but when they lose their partners it's sometimes difficult to find another because you're older, not into dating, not willing to put up with some of the nut-jobs you need to associate with just to get laid.

My sister used to be an athlete. Now she's an overweight, white haired grandma type with no children that drinks too much. Her life partner died so she's an alcoholic which led to a stroke at 50. Her life sucks and she doesn't associate with the family anymore.

I said the majority NATIONALLY support it, while the majority IN SOME STATES oppose it.

Simple concept.

You can look at all the polls and draw a conclusion but the facts are in the details. How many states have voted for and or against it?

Let’s look at states that have amended their state constitutions in such a way as to prevent the legalization of same-sex “marriage” in those states. Including North Carolina, there are thirty (30) states in which the definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman has been directly enshrined in the state’s constitution in explicit language.

I would argue that this fact is a clear indication that the majority NATIONALLY oppose same sex marriage.

351px-Samesex_marriage_in_USA.svg.png

Map Lengend and Source

Last edited:

Simple concept.

You can look at all the polls and draw a conclusion but the facts are in the details. How many states have voted for and or against it?

Let’s look at states that have amended their state constitutions in such a way as to prevent the legalization of same-sex “marriage” in those states. Including North Carolina, there are thirty (30) states in which the definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman has been directly enshrined in the state’s constitution in explicit language.

I would argue that this fact is a clear indication that the majority NATIONALLY oppose same sex marriage.

Map Lengend and Source

Its 2013.

Amendments passed and votes taken 10 or more years ago really mean nothing now, when it come to determining
national preferrence.

IMHO:
The government should not be sanctioning marriage of any kind... or forbidding marriage.
Marriage is a sacriment of the church.
If the government wants to offer benefits to couples, then fine. Do it without discrimination. But don't call it marriage ... "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Give unto God what is God's."

Republicans Urge SCOTUS to Support Gay Marriage -- Daily Intelligencer

Is a decision from the SCOTUS due in June?

eta: Hearings begin at the end of March.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under...ts-samesex-marriage-arguments-for-153517.html

The comments are interesting. Shamefully I do not know enough about the justices to make any predictions.

Last edited:

Simple concept.

Map Lengend and Source

Its 2013.

Amendments passed and votes taken 10 or more years ago really mean nothing now, when it come to determining
national preferrence.

Yea, I think it's pretty obvious where the national opinion is heading on this one. Much of the progress, too, has occurred in just the past 5 years so any sort of polls/graphs that are older than a few years are pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Every day I see more and more Conservative Congressmen/women coming out and saying that they support gay marriage. Why? Because (again) the tide is turning in that direction, and they don't want to be on the wrong side when it finally flips over permanently.

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) has reversed his stance on same-sex marriage two years after learning that his son is gay, several Ohio news outlets, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reported Friday.

In an interview with Ohio reporters in his Senate office, Portman said that his son, Will, came out to the senator and his wife in February 2011.

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said.

Portman said that his son, who is now a junior at Yale University, inspired him to reassess his position on same-sex unions. The senator also consulted clergy on the matter, as well as friends such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is openly gay. According to Portman, Cheney told the senator to "follow [his] heart" on the matter.

"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said.

It's a shame that it takes a conservative's child being gay to come to the realization that being gay is not some lewd choice made by an individual due to some sexual perversion.

While I'm glad he's come around to the correct side of history, this story is completely indicative of right-wing mentality: don't give a shit about anybody else until they're slapped in the face with their own experience and forced to wake up to reality. Right wingers can't think past their noses.

Last edited:

Map Lengend and Source

Its 2013.

national preferrence.

Yea, I think it's pretty obvious where the national opinion is heading on this one. Much of the progress, too, has occurred in just the past 5 years so any sort of polls/graphs that are older than a few years are pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Every day I see more and more Conservative Congressmen/women coming out and saying that they support gay marriage. Why? Because (again) the tide is turning in that direction, and they don't want to be on the wrong side when it finally flips over permanently.

Many thanks to the person who put up the map proving my point. State by State the majority of Americans voted clearly in favor of marriage being between a man and a woman ONLY! This was only recently so you would think homosexuals would respect the wishes of the American people but obviously not.. - Jeremiah

:eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

Then why did the majority of Americans vote against it? It was the will of the people to vote no. That is the reality of the situation.

Then let them handle it on a state by state basis but let the homosexuals know that by using slander, force, death threats, boycotts, destroying careers, getting people fired, using any method possible to force the issue they will one day come face to face with Islam here in America and will suddenly realise the stupidity of their actions. It started with Anita Bryant and it has led up to where we are today. - Jeremiah

Considering homosexuals make up such a small percentage of the population, you're certainly crediting them with a lot of power.

Muslims make up an even smaller percentage of the population yet we have sharia law being introduced in american courtrooms. In fact, it has become so bad that we have now had to introduce American Law for American Courtrooms. State by State they are introducing ALAC to stop Sharia law in our courtrooms. CAIR is fighting it tooth and nail. Probably something else you didn't realise was going on inside USA, eh? Bottom line? You don't have a point. Get it?

-Jeremiah

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) has reversed his stance on same-sex marriage two years after learning that his son is gay, several Ohio news outlets, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reported Friday.

In an interview with Ohio reporters in his Senate office, Portman said that his son, Will, came out to the senator and his wife in February 2011.

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said.

Portman said that his son, who is now a junior at Yale University, inspired him to reassess his position on same-sex unions. The senator also consulted clergy on the matter, as well as friends such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is openly gay. According to Portman, Cheney told the senator to "follow [his] heart" on the matter.

"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said.

It's a shame that it takes a conservative's child being gay to come to the realization that being gay is not some lewd choice made by an individual due to some sexual perversion.

While I'm glad he's come around to the correct side of history, this story is completely indicative of right-wing mentality: don't give a shit about anybody else until they're slapped in the face with their own experience and forced to wake up to reality. Right wingers can't think past their noses.

We are not the ones claiming that a 17 trillion dollar deficit isn't a crisis. That would be Team Obama.

Its 2013.

national preferrence.

Many thanks to the person who put up the map proving my point. State by State the majority of Americans voted clearly in favor of marriage being between a man and a woman ONLY! This was only recently so you would think homosexuals would respect the wishes of the American people but obviously not.. - Jeremiah

You just refuse to believe that public opinion is turning against your position, don't you?

That's OK though, because the same thing happened during the Civil Rights movement in the '60's as well.

Its 2013.

national preferrence.

Please refer to post #152 in which I state right wingers can't think past their noses.

Your point was so NOT proven. 5 years ago, the map would have been nearly solid red. That's called CHANGE dingbat. In a few years, perhaps even months, there will be NO RED, meaning gay marriage will be legalized in EVERY state. Get it now?

No doubt Portman has seen what happened to other politicians who have gay children but still kept their Christian faith and decided to take preemptive action. Portman has his own eye on a presidential run.

Please refer to post #152 in which I state right wingers can't think past their noses.

Your point was so NOT proven. 5 years ago, the map would have been nearly solid red. That's called CHANGE dingbat. In a few years, perhaps even months, there will be NO RED, meaning gay marriage will be legalized in EVERY state. Get it now?

Timeline: Gay marriage chronology - Data Desk - Los Angeles Times

stupid question--If SCOTUS rules in favor of same sex marriages --then what happens? Appeals--???

It is difficult to anticipate that my state, Georgia, will move quickly. Maybe they will?

Forum List

Back