San Fransico Raises Min-wage to $15. Results in THIS:

Careful your gonna get broke going to McDonald.

The market will adjust. Gov't mandated higher wages will result in higher prices and fewer customers and jobs (not that people like you seem to care).

You base that upon that never happening with previous min wage increases?

The studies vary on the impact but they are all based on small min wage increases. However what is proposed is a doubling of the min wage. Given the technology currently available (and that sure to come) only a fool would argue that the supply of low skill jobs will not be diminished as well as the demand for low skill workers (but then, what do you care, eh?).

It has never been seen yet.

Yes, it has and the min wage has never been doubled in the face of technological alternatives like inexpensive automation. Be careful what you wish for.

"High minimum wages, however, particularly in rigid labour markets, do appear to hit employment. France has the rich world’s highest wage floor, at more than 60% of the median for adults and a far bigger fraction of the typical wage for the young. This helps explain why France also has shockingly high rates of youth unemployment: 26% for 15- to 24-year-olds."

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...-good-harm-they-should-be-set-technocrats-not

That is France. We have increased min wage here many times and it has not ever happened.

You continue ot revert back to the same lib talking points.
Tell ya what. How about you go ahead and start a business. Pay your employees whatever you like. Ignore the prevailing market rates for labor. See how long your business lasts. Get back to us. Until you do that, you don't get to say "pay a decent wage"....Because you can't define what is a "decent wage".

Do you want small government or not? Because your love of low wages will continue to make it grow. I think you may be the liberal.

Yanno, we could adjust the gov't standards for aid, forcing those part-time low wage earners to do what so many did before we began confiscating private wealth to pay our expansive (and expensive) gov't bennies ... get a 2nd job.
Those with a lick of pride still manage to get along without gov't help but forcing firms to automate to remain competitive will make those low-skill jobs disappear.

Yes you can do that. And then those people will be unhappy and elect people who will bring them back. You see we vote in this country. So if you really want small government then we need employers to take care of employees. You guys seems so stupidly oblivious to this fact.

Woo ... as often posted (and most adults understand) biz does not exist (nor is it their responsibility) to "take care of employees." Your life is yours ... make of it what you will but please stop the incessant whining.

So that is why the government keeps growing then. It seems high inequality is far more important to you than small government.

Once more for the Brain Dead: My concern is with gov't meddling in the labor market that will negatively impact those least able to adjust. Growth in gov't expenditures (not gov't) is a function of too easily available gov't freebies. Lower the freebies and those part-timers will get a second job.

The market will adjust. Gov't mandated higher wages will result in higher prices and fewer customers and jobs (not that people like you seem to care).

The studies vary on the impact but they are all based on small min wage increases. However what is proposed is a doubling of the min wage. Given the technology currently available (and that sure to come) only a fool would argue that the supply of low skill jobs will not be diminished as well as the demand for low skill workers (but then, what do you care, eh?).

Yes, it has and the min wage has never been doubled in the face of technological alternatives like inexpensive automation. Be careful what you wish for.

"High minimum wages, however, particularly in rigid labour markets, do appear to hit employment. France has the rich world’s highest wage floor, at more than 60% of the median for adults and a far bigger fraction of the typical wage for the young. This helps explain why France also has shockingly high rates of youth unemployment: 26% for 15- to 24-year-olds."

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...-good-harm-they-should-be-set-technocrats-not

That is France. We have increased min wage here many times and it has not ever happened.

Yes it has and when did we last double the min wage?

That's another bullshit talking point.

It is reality.
A reality created by the left wing. Their own reality. One in which they choose to immerse themselves to further a political agenda.

I'm pretty sure it is created by Walmart not paying very much while the Waltons make billions each year.

What the Waltons make is none of your biz and millions of Americans who depend on stock dividends to supplement their income as well as the millions who have jobs thanks to Walmarts and Target - not to mention the millions more who enjoy the low prices - are glad the Walmarts of the world exist. You, like most loony leftists, simply live to whine.

Well don't expect the government to shrink any time soon then. As long as they are making billions and collecting corporate welfare that simply will not happen. They are a huge employer and pay so little that employees are on welfare. That grows government dependence. We need good jobs where people can support themselves, not more inequality. That just slows our economy and increases government dependence. Just look at the current state of our country.

There are plenty of good jobs but American biz is forced to go overseas to fill them because so many American kids just aren't interested in education.
In NYC, for instance, over 1/3 of those who enter high school never finish.
HIGH SCHOOL!

Do you want small government or not? Because your love of low wages will continue to make it grow. I think you may be the liberal.

Yanno, we could adjust the gov't standards for aid, forcing those part-time low wage earners to do what so many did before we began confiscating private wealth to pay our expansive (and expensive) gov't bennies ... get a 2nd job.
Those with a lick of pride still manage to get along without gov't help but forcing firms to automate to remain competitive will make those low-skill jobs disappear.

Yes you can do that. And then those people will be unhappy and elect people who will bring them back. You see we vote in this country. So if you really want small government then we need employers to take care of employees. You guys seems so stupidly oblivious to this fact.

Woo ... as often posted (and most adults understand) biz does not exist (nor is it their responsibility) to "take care of employees." Your life is yours ... make of it what you will but please stop the incessant whining.

So that is why the government keeps growing then. It seems high inequality is far more important to you than small government.

Once more for the Brain Dead: My concern is with gov't meddling in the labor market that will negatively impact those least able to adjust. Growth in gov't expenditures (not gov't) is a function of too easily available gov't freebies. Lower the freebies and those part-timers will get a second job.

And again if you lower the freebies they will come right back when new politicians are elected. Get employers to pay well and government will shrink for good.

It is reality.
A reality created by the left wing. Their own reality. One in which they choose to immerse themselves to further a political agenda.

I'm pretty sure it is created by Walmart not paying very much while the Waltons make billions each year.

What the Waltons make is none of your biz and millions of Americans who depend on stock dividends to supplement their income as well as the millions who have jobs thanks to Walmarts and Target - not to mention the millions more who enjoy the low prices - are glad the Walmarts of the world exist. You, like most loony leftists, simply live to whine.

Well don't expect the government to shrink any time soon then. As long as they are making billions and collecting corporate welfare that simply will not happen. They are a huge employer and pay so little that employees are on welfare. That grows government dependence. We need good jobs where people can support themselves, not more inequality. That just slows our economy and increases government dependence. Just look at the current state of our country.

There are plenty of good jobs but American biz is forced to go overseas to fill them because so many American kids just aren't interested in education.
HIGH SCHOOL!

Link?

The fact remains a min wage increase has never done what you claim it does.

HIGH SCHOOL!

Link?

You do know how to access GOOGLE, right?

NYC's high school graduation rate jumps to 64 percent

Bullshit and as already stated, the min wage has never been doubled in the face of technological alternatives like inexpensive automation. Are you always this dense?

Not a wall. A hurdle. So what?....
And you'll have to dig for quite a while to find companies that no longer train workers for better positions...Stop it.

The jig is just about up. They are running out of stuff to whine about and are reduced to making shit up as they go along.

I have been here just about five years, people know I don't make shit up, asshole!
Why don't you point out something I made up. I'll wait.
Ahh...When caught, protest angrily and deny strongly....

I never said all companies aren't training employees, maybe I was too general in my comment.
But, the two Wall Street Journal and the Bloomberg articles (plus the thousand articles that are available) signify that it is certainly an issue. No?
In the time I've been posting here I have been one to throw shit on the wall to see if it sticks and when I have been wrong on an issue, I don't run away from admitting that I'm wrong. I research hard and try very hard not to use biased issues. I know for a fact that I have never used any hyper-partisan resources or talking points. I'd rather be credible.

And that is not only to your credit, it separates you from so many of the lefties here who simply fabricate their "facts." I too may have been a bit general when I responded to Spoon about that. I had been reading some of the loonier leftist posts and wasn't really talking about you. I have read you over the years and often find you credible if not a bit misguided. While some firms have cut back on perks - often in response to market forces and gov't actions (like regs and new taxes) - many still offer training and help with continuing education not to mention matching pensions and 401K contributions. I have noticed some corp reaction to O-care that bodes well for neither the company nor the employee. The heavy hand of gov't is definitely at work, perhaps resulting in unforeseen negative consequences.

HIGH SCHOOL!

Link?

Yes. Show me reason to believe there are lots of good jobs out there.

Bullshit and as already stated, the min wage has never been doubled in the face of technological alternatives like inexpensive automation. Are you always this dense?

Then link to something that says it has. You seem to be the dense one. We have a long history of min wage increases and I am right.

HIGH SCHOOL!

Link?

I GOOGLED "good positions go unfilled and got 460,000 results in less than 1 second. Rather than continuing to require me to open your eyes, perhaps you should quit being so freakin' lazy and open them yourself.

Three million open jobs in U.S., but who's qualified?

Only the right appeals to willful ignorance of the laws of demand and supply under Any form of Capitalism.

HIGH SCHOOL!

Link?

I GOOGLED "good positions go unfilled and got 460,000 results in less than 1 second. Rather than continuing to require me to open your eyes, perhaps you should quit being so freakin' lazy and open them yourself.

Three million open jobs in U.S., but who's qualified?

If companies couldn't find qualified workers wages would go up. wages are obviously stagnant:

Other economists say that the so-called "skills mismatch" is exaggerated. They argue that if businesses can't find the workers they need, then wages would rise more quickly. And if they were truly desperate, employers should be willing to perform more training of new hires, these economists say.

exactly; everyone knows how imprecise web based technology still is regarding human language.

It must be an information error since labor would be seeking employment at the appropriate wage level under any form of Capitalism according to the laws of demand and supply. If capitalists really wanted those positions filled, they would be paying to have them filled and someone in HR may even get a nice capital bonus for putting the right capital people in the right capital place at the right capital time.

In my opinion, this is a good issue for policy review. Why is there any capital gains preference if capitalists are unwilling to pay to have full capital employment?

The jig is just about up. They are running out of stuff to whine about and are reduced to making shit up as they go along.

I have been here just about five years, people know I don't make shit up, asshole!
Why don't you point out something I made up. I'll wait.

No problem:

"Not that long ago, companies used to provide training to their employees to upgrade their skills, that was back when companies used to invest in their employees.
So now a low paid employee must find funds to pay for training to upgrade their skills." - Kiwi

Companies still train and pay (or help to pay) for advanced education.

Oh?
Is On-the-Job Training Still Worth It for Companies? - Businessweek

Why Companies Aren't Getting the Employees They Need

Just Whose Job Is It to Train Workers?

As I was saying, I don't make shit up.

Cherry-picked silliness, none of which even comes close to proving businesses no longer train their employees, as you falsely claimed.
As already stated, you just make that whiny, sniveling, loony leftist shit up.

What?
I used non-partisan and respected resources that clearly proves you wrong. Any and everyone can see that you are incapable of admitting you were incorrect and you try to deflect your inadequacies by attacking me. The only person you are fooling is yourself. I'm sure glad I'm not you.
It is irrational to believe companies do not train employees for the purpose of improving the job skills of said Employees.....
Also, your articles discount the availability of tuition programs offered by employers.
The main concern for businesses is that for example Company A may invest in training its employees, while those workers are sending out resumes looking for employers looking for higher pay. Too often, employees will leave for other employers which may offer higher wages or better benefits. Another issue is when companies actively recruit workers from competitors. Bottom line....To some employers it is simply not worth the investment in time and dollars to train people only to have them leave taking their skills with them...
Now you seeing only one side of this will agree with this transient type of worker. If you support this, you cannot complain when companies decide to set their experience criteria to a higher level.

That's what you get when you raise the minimum wage to $15. What did you think would happen? You either raise prices, layoff staff or both.

Not in leftist la-la land and when the inevitable does occur they blame "the rich" or the Repubs or just slink away.

They will NEVER accept responsibility for their actions.

The hypocrisy is many of them actually own stocks or mutual funds - often through pension or other retirement plans - and would be the loudest whiners should a dividend be missed or the stock value fall due to higher gov't mandated costs.
dudes; laissez-fair capitalism is a myth; that is a problem the Right refuses to recognize.
No shit.....Anyone with more than two active brain cells knows this....Thanks, Captain Obvious

No problem:

"Not that long ago, companies used to provide training to their employees to upgrade their skills, that was back when companies used to invest in their employees.
So now a low paid employee must find funds to pay for training to upgrade their skills." - Kiwi

Companies still train and pay (or help to pay) for advanced education.

Oh?
Is On-the-Job Training Still Worth It for Companies? - Businessweek

Why Companies Aren't Getting the Employees They Need

Just Whose Job Is It to Train Workers?

As I was saying, I don't make shit up.

Cherry-picked silliness, none of which even comes close to proving businesses no longer train their employees, as you falsely claimed.
As already stated, you just make that whiny, sniveling, loony leftist shit up.

What?
I used non-partisan and respected resources that clearly proves you wrong. Any and everyone can see that you are incapable of admitting you were incorrect and you try to deflect your inadequacies by attacking me. The only person you are fooling is yourself. I'm sure glad I'm not you.

Perhaps you misunderstood ... none of your sources proves that American businesses no longer provide training as you falsely claimed.

Well it's obvious you didn't read the articles or have a reading comprehension issue. The articles back me up. I easily could have chosen from many resources via Google which also back up my statement.
Please. Your articles indicate a trend. Not an absolute.
Read my post on the last page. I explained why this trend continues.

Forum List

Back