Scott Walker On Evolution: 'I Am Going To Punt On That One'

I must admit that I don't believe in Evolution. It's a fantastic theory of course and is a very powerful way of understanding natural processes but when one asks most people about Evolution they usually talk about humans being apes. Shows a lack of understanding of both Evolution as a theory and the nature of Science in general. May as well ask "Do you believe in Newtonian Physics. Science is NOT a religion!!

Greg

If you don't believe in evolution then what do you believe created humans and all the life on earth?

He probably doesn't have a belief about origins because no one knows with any certainty and there is no good reason to substitute belief for knowledge.

One shouldn't believe in scientific theories because they aren't faith-based and, in the physical sciences, never be proved to be Truth.

I must admit that I don't believe in Evolution. It's a fantastic theory of course and is a very powerful way of understanding natural processes but when one asks most people about Evolution they usually talk about humans being apes. Shows a lack of understanding of both Evolution as a theory and the nature of Science in general. May as well ask "Do you believe in Newtonian Physics.

Greg
See now I know that I would not vote for you if you ever ran for President. So it's a great question to ask!

Actually, what gtopa1 has expressed is the most accurate way to perceive Science. One shouldn't believe in scientific theories because that changes Science into faithwhich it is not.

What gtopa1 is saying is that the modern theories regarding evolution are the best explanations of the currently observable and available information. Because theories in the physical sciences can never be proved to be True (capital T), all they can ever be are theories.

Science is not a belief system but a discipline which attempts to mitigate human error and bias in its search for aligning human perception as closely as it can to common reality.
Maybe. But I promise you that's not what was going on in Scott Walker's empty skull when he was asked that question.

I must admit that I don't believe in Evolution. It's a fantastic theory of course and is a very powerful way of understanding natural processes but when one asks most people about Evolution they usually talk about humans being apes. Shows a lack of understanding of both Evolution as a theory and the nature of Science in general. May as well ask "Do you believe in Newtonian Physics. Science is NOT a religion!!

Greg

If you don't believe in evolution then what do you believe created humans and all the life on earth?

He probably doesn't have a belief about origins because no one knows with any certainty and there is no good reason to substitute belief for knowledge.

One shouldn't believe in scientific theories because they aren't faith-based and, in the physical sciences, never be proved to be Truth.

Do you know what a "scientific theory" is? It's more than just a "theory"...

Evolution has nothing to do with trade. Liberals think hard hitting questions are the ones that ask the attorney general to quack like a duck.

The liberal wanted to derail the subject. Good for Walker not giving her the chance.
You said: Evolution has nothing to do with trade

Would you really want to do business with a tard?

I dont think you should have to answer that, at all, to become Pres

I do. If you don't grasp that humans evolved and that evolution is proven science....you don't get to be president.

There are no proven theories in the physical sciences and there never can be. The modern theories of evolution are extremely robust and seem very accurate but we can not know with certainty that they accurately describe the unobserveable past.

Belief in scientific theories changes science into faith. Please don't do it.

I do. If you don't grasp that humans evolved and that evolution is proven science....you don't get to be president.

There are no proven theories in the physical sciences and there never can be. The modern theories of evolution are extremely robust and seem very accurate but we can not know with certainty that they accurately describe the unobserveable past.

Do you think "carbon dating" is just a theory?

What if Scott Walker believes in Creationism? That would mean he's a fucking lunatic!

At least we have real data and observations for evolution. Evolution is probably near the top for creditability within science.
Actually classic Darwinian evolution is completely discredited.

No it isn't completely discredited. Some of it has been invalidated, but most of it has been expanded upon and revised leading to several theories working in tandem to become some of the most robust scientific theories ever produced.

Yes, carbon dating is a theory. It relies on many assumptions.

Greg

No, scientific theories are the current best explanations of the currently available information and subject to revision or rejection upon new information.

The only things that are more than theories are facts.

Yes, carbon dating is a theory. It relies on many assumptions.
Oh yeah? Does creationism rely on any assumptions?

Greg

No, scientific theories are the current best explanations of the currently available information and subject to revision or rejection upon new information.

The only things that are more than theories are facts.
Do you think there are no facts in science?

Broadly speaking, there are two methods of dating: relative dating (such as using strata to determine the age of a fossil), and exact dating such as carbon dating and other methods. Using what we currently know about molecular or atomic decay, the methods used in exact dating seem extremely reliable.

Of course, you never know, tomorrow some bright kid from MIT might figure out we were wrong all along.

It's best just to not believe in these things because open-mindedness and cautious skepticism are better for scientific inquiry than belief or dogma.

Even if a belief in evolution is information that a voter needs to decide where their vote should go, if the discussion is about trade the question doesn't belong.

Except that he also punted on the only question about trade that he was asked. So my question is why was he really there?

Forum List

Back