Scott Walker On Evolution: 'I Am Going To Punt On That One'

I must admit that I don't believe in Evolution. It's a fantastic theory of course and is a very powerful way of understanding natural processes but when one asks most people about Evolution they usually talk about humans being apes. Shows a lack of understanding of both Evolution as a theory and the nature of Science in general. May as well ask "Do you believe in Newtonian Physics. Science is NOT a religion!!

Greg

If you don't believe in evolution then what do you believe created humans and all the life on earth?

He probably doesn't have a belief about origins because no one knows with any certainty and there is no good reason to substitute belief for knowledge.

One shouldn't believe in scientific theories because they aren't faith-based and, in the physical sciences, never be proved to be Truth.

Do you know what a "scientific theory" is? It's more than just a "theory"...

No, scientific theories are the current best explanations of the currently available information and subject to revision or rejection upon new information.

The only things that are more than theories are facts.
Do you think there are no facts in science?

Well, I think that the only thing I know is: Cogito ergo sum. Anything else is up for debate.

But, there seems to be a common reality, and in that context, yes science uses facts as the foundation of its theories and predictions.

Science has had better results and greater success than any other discipline in the history of humankind - as far as we know as a species.

I must admit that I don't believe in Evolution. It's a fantastic theory of course and is a very powerful way of understanding natural processes but when one asks most people about Evolution they usually talk about humans being apes. Shows a lack of understanding of both Evolution as a theory and the nature of Science in general. May as well ask "Do you believe in Newtonian Physics. Science is NOT a religion!!

Greg

Human beings are, in fact, classified as anthropoid apes. Of this there is no ambiguity, no doubt. That you question this shows your lack of understanding of the facts.

Greg

Human beings are, in fact, classified as anthropoid apes. Of this there is no ambiguity, no doubt. That you question this shows your lack of understanding of the facts.

Actually there is little doubt, but not "no doubt". All the current evidence seems incontrovertible. It's hard not to be totally certain. But a truly skeptical mind will always have reason to doubt because belief is just a step away from dogma.

Because theories in the physical sciences can never be proved to be True (capital T), all they can ever be are theories.

Stop talking. You don't have a clue what you're talking about and sound like a damned fool.

Really?

Where am I wrong? Kindly point out my mistake so I may correct it.

The whole thing is wrong. Most especially that capital T bullshit.

In what ways, if I may ask?

Because theories in the physical sciences can never be proved to be True (capital T), all they can ever be are theories.

Stop talking. You don't have a clue what you're talking about and sound like a damned fool.

Really?

In the way which you are a damned fool.

Really?

Since you won't answer the question without resorting to insults, it seems that you must not have one.

I dont think you should have to answer that, at all, to become Pres

I do. If you don't grasp that humans evolved and that evolution is proven science....you don't get to be president.

There are no proven theories in the physical sciences and there never can be. The modern theories of evolution are extremely robust and seem very accurate but we can not know with certainty that they accurately describe the unobserveable past.

Belief in scientific theories changes science into faith. Please don't do it.

Do you think "carbon dating" is just a theory?
Yes, carbon dating is a theory. It relies on many assumptions.

Do you think it may be soooo wrong that it could be off by billions of years?

Greg

Actually there is little doubt, but not "no doubt". All the current evidence seems incontrovertible. It's hard not to be totally certain. But a truly skeptical mind will always have reason to doubt because belief is just a step away from dogma.

You mean like the Bible and religion?

Really?

Since you won't answer the question without resorting to insults, it seems that you must not have one.

Listen, fool, you're the one babbling about truth little t/truth capital T, and making up things about how science works. Your claims, your burden to prove.

Oh wait, you can't support anything you said because you're making it up as you go along and creating a hodgepodge slightly less coherent than a rambling schizophrenic on an acid trip. Don't blame me because you're a damned fool.

How is he wrong? Only a law can be proven without "doubt". Theories are more or less a broad agreement within the area of science it is attempting to explain.

Greg

Yes. Believing in something without sufficient evidence isn't rational, and adhering to it in the face of contradicting evidence and logic is dogma. Believing the Bible is the Word of God is insanity.

Greg

Yes. Believing in something without sufficient evidence isn't rational, and adhering to it in the face of contradicting evidence and logic is dogma. Believing the Bible is the Word of God is insanity.

Amen!

I dont think you should have to answer that, at all, to become Pres

I do. If you don't grasp that humans evolved and that evolution is proven science....you don't get to be president.

There are no proven theories in the physical sciences and there never can be. The modern theories of evolution are extremely robust and seem very accurate but we can not know with certainty that they accurately describe the unobserveable past.

Belief in scientific theories changes science into faith. Please don't do it.

Do you think "carbon dating" is just a theory?
Yes, carbon dating is a theory. It relies on many assumptions.

Do you think it may be soooo wrong that it could be off by billions of years?
Entirely possible.
It assumes that Carbon 14 deteriorates at a steady state. But what if that isnt true?

Evolution beliefs = Religious beliefs. It matters...
Reallly? Why? The Constittution states there shall be no religious tests for office. So it's pretty much moot.

The Constitution may not require it - but NaziCons do!
You're the one who seems to want to impose a religious test, asshole.

I don't want some retard who believes in Creationism to have access to the nuclear suitcase! Do you?

Evolution beliefs = Religious beliefs. It matters...
Reallly? Why? The Constittution states there shall be no religious tests for office. So it's pretty much moot.

The Constitution may not require it - but NaziCons do!
You're the one who seems to want to impose a religious test, asshole.

We want our president to support infrastructure, science and r&d! We want our president working to build America and demanding accountability!

We don't really care or want religion.

Forum List

Back