Seattle Teachers on Strike, 6 Figures and 3 Months Off a Year Not Enough

Yes, like the 15 year-old freshman special education student I had whose parents withdrew to homeschool her, despite neither of her parents having a high school diploma. I'm sure she has her doctorate and is making 6 figures now.
Go ahead and cherry pick that one instance that isn't true.

If you read what I wrote, carefully, what I wrote is true. Naturally, in that instance, it is not. I have friends and relatives that are special education teachers, and I have no doubt about their special training and skills. However, for folks that have graduated from high-school with a high GPA, or have some college and university, they are more than capable of giving their children better education than any stranger ever could. It has been scientifically proven it only takes between 180 and 250 hours to transmit basic literacy and math skills, from there, anyone without learning problems, can basically self-educate with a library and/or the internet. If Abraham Lincoln did it, anyone can.

Parents know their child better, and their child, in kind, will respond better to them. You know this, I know this. So stop already.

I am not trying do denigrate what you do for a living, we need teachers in our society. I do not deny this.

We also need much more parental involvement, for without it, teaching becomes perilous, and these days, a hazardous pursuit, much like mountain climbing, completely free of ropes and other protection. One slip, and you have completely lost the children, the institution, and in some cases, the entire community.

That is because you are an ignorant piece of shit. Most teacher's unions do NOT have collective bargaining rights and are banned from striking. Those type of unions only function is to ensure due process for teachers being disciplined.
Disciplined?

They are there to keep incompetent teachers from being fired.

My kid once had a teacher that basically, COULD NOT TEACH, she was so ignorant.

The corner of our house had two PC's, set up side by side. Mid-way through a term that he was taking a typing class, (which he was getting an 'A' in, an every assignment and test came back A's,) I notice him, pecking away at the keyboard, with his two index fingers. ??!!??

When I confront his teacher at the parent teacher conference? All she tells me, is the only thing she cares about, is that the students type the assignment correctly. The "new," way typing is taught, they don't care about speed, only that students do it, "any way that they want," and that it "looks," correct.

I had him take the class so he could learn this;

He basically already knew what she was "teaching," him. It was a GD glorified study hall.

:rolleyes:

I go to the principle about this travesty and this nonsense? All she tells me is, "teacher's unions."

That is because you are an ignorant piece of shit. Most teacher's unions do NOT have collective bargaining rights and are banned from striking. Those type of unions only function is to ensure due process for teachers being disciplined.
Are you any relation to Tony Evers?

Pick and choose your students and REQUIRE parents to participate by con-tract.
Families generally DO sign agreements at the start of the year about how they will support their children's education. Not all parents adhere to said agreement.

For the record, I went to a parochial grade school and HS. Few of the teachers had permanent certification from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Some lacked a college degree. We had (and continue to have) among the largest percentage of National Merit Scholarship finalists in the state. Along with a few perfect SAT's. Virtually all go on to college.

How well would we/they do if the teachers were CERTIFIED? [about the same, I suppose].

For the record, I went to a parochial grade school and HS. Few of the teachers had permanent certification from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Some lacked a college degree. We had (and continue to have) among the largest percentage of National Merit Scholarship finalists in the state. Along with a few perfect SAT's. Virtually all go on to college.

How well would we/they do if the teachers were CERTIFIED? [about the same, I suppose].
How many of those National Merit Scholarship finalists had those teachers lacking a college degree? You don't have any way to know, do you?

About a fourth of the teachers had certification. It was not an issue. Some who lacked certification had advance degrees (Christian Brothers).

I never had a bad teacher in 1-12. Several in college, a few in law school. (I didn't go to kindergarten).

About a fourth of the teachers had certification. It was not an issue. Some who lacked certification had advance degrees (Christian Brothers).

I never had a bad teacher in 1-12. Several in college, a few in law school. (I didn't go to kindergarten).
A degree in religion doesn't help teaching calculus, dumbass!

You didn't have a bad teacher that you know about. Every post of yours demonstrates you had several of them!

Just have remote learning until the teachers decide to come off the picket line.

Brilliant. Only wrinkle is: who is going to teach the remote classes? Will they be able to underpay THEM?

Maybe bring in temporary teachers living Bangalore or Lagos who are willing to teach through Zoom technology in the mean time.

Because you want your kids being taught by folks in Lagos. Whatever it takes so you don't have to pay your fellow US citizens a living wage to take care of your rotting crotch fruit.

Hell, most educated parents educate their kids better than the schools can.

That's the problem.

1) there aren't that many "educated parents" to go around.

2) even the highly educated ones don't have the skills specific to childhood development which would be key in elementary education.

I have a ridiculous amount of education and I've taught at the college level, but I wouldn't even try my hand at teaching little kids stuff. It's too difficult. Specialized training in how to teach children how to function in the world and how to learn.

It's easy teaching at the university level: everyone coming in is assumed to know how to learn. Not so much for little kids.

Brilliant. Only wrinkle is: who is going to teach the remote classes? Will they be able to underpay THEM?

Because you want your kids being taught by folks in Lagos. Whatever it takes so you don't have to pay your fellow US citizens a living wage to take care of your rotting crotch fruit.

I'm only talking about asking our friends in Lagos teaching them until the US citizens come off the picket line- not permanently at all.

Forum List

Back