Should Churches be forced to accomodate for homosexual weddings?

Should places of worship be required to hold gay weddings

• Yes, Denmark does it, the Scandinavians are enlightened

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • No, I THOUGHT this was AMERICA

Votes: 198 81.8%
  • You are a baby brains without a formed opinion

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other, explain

Votes: 22 9.1%

• Total voters
The ceremonies aren't defined by the government. They are between the individual couples and the individual officiating the ceremony.

Some may have a simple non-religious exchange of oaths (same-sex and different-sex) before a Justice of the Peace, Judge, County Clerk or Notary in a city county building after getting a license.

Some may have a simple non-religious exchange of oaths (same-sex and different-sex) before a Justice of the Peace, Judge, County Clerk or Notary at a ceremony with close friends and/or relatives at a beach, forest setting, or while parachuting.

Some may have a religious ceremony by a Church, Temple, Synagogue or that organizations clergy member (same-sex and different-sex) before close friends or relatives.​

Same-sex couples can already have all the same ceremonies, that does not mean that different-sex couples can't have the same ceremonies anymore.

>>>>
Exactly...the government is changing the definition of that ceremony for no good reason...and without it being any of their business,

Churches, Temples, Synagogues or other religious organizations that perform same-sex religious weddings are not required to do so because of the government.

Same-sex couples have been getting religiously married in Churches for at least about 50-years even before the first State recognized their marriage under Civil law (which of course was Massachusetts in 2004).

That wasn't the government doing anything.

>>>>
The state should recognize their arrangement...their agreement...not their "marriage".

Getting back to
Are religions all separate but equal? Does that concept work?

What? That statement makes no sense.
It wasn't a statement. It was a question....one you evidently can't answer. I'm going to play racquetball...as all good christians do. Pax vobiscum.

It has to make sense in order to answer it.

You have to be intelligent enough to know what is being asked...

Okay, you break it down. What's he asking? Explain his concept of separate but equal.

I suspect he is saying something along the lines why do homosexuals insist on calling it "marriage", why not call it civil unions and enjoy (or suffer) the benefits of marriage? It's part of the "we have to appear normal" thing homosexuals desire and crave and the reality is roughly 50% of the nation doesn't accept it as normal. On the flip side heterosexual marriage is considered normal and accepted by the vast majority.

Exactly...the government is changing the definition of that ceremony for no good reason...and without it being any of their business,

Churches, Temples, Synagogues or other religious organizations that perform same-sex religious weddings are not required to do so because of the government.

Same-sex couples have been getting religiously married in Churches for at least about 50-years even before the first State recognized their marriage under Civil law (which of course was Massachusetts in 2004).

>>>>
The state should recognize their arrangement...their agreement...not their "marriage".

Getting back to
It wasn't a statement. It was a question....one you evidently can't answer. I'm going to play racquetball...as all good christians do. Pax vobiscum.

Okay, you break it down. What's he asking? Explain his concept of separate but equal.

I suspect he is saying something along the lines why do homosexuals insist on calling it "marriage", why not call it civil unions and enjoy (or suffer) the benefits of marriage? It's part of the "we have to appear normal" thing homosexuals desire and crave and the reality is roughly 50% of the nation doesn't accept it as normal. On the flip side heterosexual marriage is considered normal and accepted by the vast majority.

Really? You got all that out of "Are religions all separate but equal? Does that concept work?"

How? Seriously. How did you get that he was talking about civil unions with the above question?

Now that might be your pet peeve, but I don't see how it relates to the bolded question.

Now, let's address YOUR separate water fountain idea. Civil marriage is what ya'll straight folks set up. If you don't want it called a civil marriage anymore, you're more than welcome to get the name changed...for everyone. The idea that straights get marriage and gays get civil unions is the definition of separate but equal.

We have partnerships. We have relationships. We have families. We believe they should be afforded the exact same rights, benefits and privileges you and your husband enjoy. A majority of Americans actually agree with me, not you and a vast majority of Americans do "accept it as normal". Where have you been Rip Van Winkle?

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

n8rqf89e3usurhykma3vva.png

>>>>

Getting back to

If you review the exchange, his point was that marriage is a religious ceremony and therefore should be recognized by the government as such.

I pointed out that same-sex couples have been having religious marriage ceremonies for many decades , pointing out the faulty nature of his logic.

He want's government recognition of his religious ceremony, but wants to deny the same government recognition to another religious organizations religious ceremony and feels the government should be wasteful and inefficient by creating a whole separate but equal structure called something else.

He appears to also want to ignore that Civil Marriage is a function of secular law and that couples (same-sex and different-sex) can and do get Civilly Married without any religious component.

>>>>

>>>>

Getting back to

Gallup also claims Obama enjoys a 50% approval rating...sorry bu

Really? You got all that out of "Are religions all separate but equal? Does that concept work?"

How? Seriously. How did you get that he was talking about civil unions with the above question?

Now that might be your pet peeve, but I don't see how it relates to the bolded question.

Now, let's address YOUR separate water fountain idea. Civil marriage is what ya'll straight folks set up. If you don't want it called a civil marriage anymore, you're more than welcome to get the name changed...for everyone. The idea that straights get marriage and gays get civil unions is the definition of separate but equal.

We have partnerships. We have relationships. We have families. We believe they should be afforded the exact same rights, benefits and privileges you and your husband enjoy. A majority of Americans actually agree with me, not you and a vast majority of Americans do "accept it as normal". Where have you been Rip Van Winkle?

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

Gallup also says Obama is at 50% approval, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that isn't correct. Any poll can achieve any desired result

Getting back to

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

Gallup also says Obama is at 50% approval, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that isn't correct. Any poll can achieve any desired result

If the poll had supported your assertion you would be shouting it from the rooftops and using it as evidence of your position. Since it doesn't, you just dismiss it. You are entitled to ignore the numerous polls that show a majority of Americans support gays having access to marriage all you wish but the rest of us under no such obligation. The idea that roughly 50% do not support same-sex marriage is entirely inaccurate.

Getting back to

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

If the poll had supported your assertion you would be shouting it from the rooftops and using it as evidence of your position. Since it doesn't, you just dismiss it. You are entitled to ignore the numerous polls that show a majority of Americans support gays having access to marriage all you wish but the rest of us under no such obligation. The idea that roughly 50% do not support same-sex marriage is entirely inaccurate.

Again, any poll can achieve any desired result, I could put up polls that show an approval for SSM at lower than 50%...then you would scream about the poll, demographics, etc. Polls cannot be trusted

Over a decade ago (2000/2004 time frame, anti-gay General Election ballot initiatives/referendums passed with (IIRC) 23-76% margins of victory.

By 2008/2009, anti-gay General Election ballot initiatives/referendums squeaked by where a change of only about 2.5% would have changed the outcome.

In 2012 there were 4 marriages initiatives/referendums on the General Election ballot and all won by about 2.5%. And in one of those States it was a reversal of an initiative passed just a few years before in 2009.

Anyone with an ounce of sense sees that is actual election results showing a shift in views on same-sex civil marriage.

>>>>

Over a decade ago (2000/2004 time frame, anti-gay General Election ballot initiatives/referendums passed with (IIRC) 23-76% margins of victory.

By 2008/2009, anti-gay General Election ballot initiatives/referendums squeaked by where a change of only about 2.5% would have changed the outcome.

In 2012 there were 4 marriages initiatives/referendums on the General Election ballot and all won by about 2.5%. And in one of those States it was a reversal of an initiative passed just a few years before in 2009.

Anyone with an ounce of sense sees that is actual election results showing a shift in views on same-sex civil marriage.

>>>>

Sigh...once again...any poll can achieve any desired result

>>>>

Sigh...once again...any poll can achieve any desired result

Sigh...once again. Those are not polls, those are General Election Results.

>>>>

Getting back to

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

So, naturally, you can counter it with a poll that says differently? No...you just "know" it isn't right. Not even Drudge?

Getting back to

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

So, naturally, you can counter it with a poll that says differently? No...you just "know" it isn't right. Not even Drudge?

You people are stuck on polls, it's that desire to feel normal and accepted. For the last time, ANY poll can achieve ANY desired result. Furthermore I could put up a poll revealing a lower than 50% approval rating for SSM and your heads would spin and explode as you scream the poll is rigged. Get past polls and stay on point

I agree, we should stay on point.

Should churches be forced to marry homosexuals? No. A church can marry or not marry any couple as they see fit. The vast and overwhelming majority of the participates in this thread agree. I clearly support gays having access to marriage but I am entirely opposed to a church being forced to marry anyone against their wishes.

Again, any poll can achieve any desired result, I could put up polls that show an approval for SSM at lower than 50%...then you would scream about the poll, demographics, etc. Polls cannot be trusted

Then by all means do so. Provide us a current national poll that says what you claim.

Pew poll shows drop in support for same-sex marriage new trend or a blip News LifeSite

That link does not support your contention that support for marriage equality is below 50%. You probably didn't notice that your article did not link to the actual poll. Here, let me get that for you.

Pew: Same Sex Marriage

I agree, we should stay on point.

Should churches be forced to marry homosexuals? No. A church can marry or not marry any couple as they see fit. The vast and overwhelming majority of the participates in this thread agree. I clearly support gays having access to marriage but I am entirely opposed to a church being forced to marry anyone against their wishes.

Absolutely 100% agree. The government will never force a church to perform a ceremony against the tenants of their faith, as it should be.

The congregation doing the "forcing" is another story...:cool:

>>>>

Getting back to

Sigh.

In order to have the legal protections and responsibilities of marriage- same gender couples need to get married. For years 'civil unions' was pursued as a 'seperate but equal' option- but guess what?

a) Civil unions never had the same protections and responsibilities as legal marriage and
b) Conservatives such as yourself fought tooth and nail against 'civil unions' as an option.

Denver, Colo., May 11, 2012 / 09:13 am (CNA).- The Colorado Catholic Conference and the Catholic bishops of Colorado are urging voters to oppose Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper’s call for a special legislative session to vote on civil unions legislation.

I at one time thought that 'civil union's' if they were treated exactly the same as legal marriage was an option- I even told my gay friends that I thought that was the best route to take- that America was too homophobic to even attempt marriage equality.

But I was wrong- and they were right.

Same gender couples have every legal- and moral right- to pursue equal treatment through the courts- and I applaud their successes. They should be treated legally exactly as my wife and i are when it comes to marriage.

Getting back to

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

Of course- because you of course know what all Americans are thinking.

Unlike Gallup....who actually asks Americans.......

>>>>

Getting back to

Sigh.

In order to have the legal protections and responsibilities of marriage- same gender couples need to get married. For years 'civil unions' was pursued as a 'seperate but equal' option- but guess what?

a) Civil unions never had the same protections and responsibilities as legal marriage and
b) Conservatives such as yourself fought tooth and nail against 'civil unions' as an option.

Denver, Colo., May 11, 2012 / 09:13 am (CNA).- The Colorado Catholic Conference and the Catholic bishops of Colorado are urging voters to oppose Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper’s call for a special legislative session to vote on civil unions legislation.

I at one time thought that 'civil union's' if they were treated exactly the same as legal marriage was an option- I even told my gay friends that I thought that was the best route to take- that America was too homophobic to even attempt marriage equality.

But I was wrong- and they were right.

Same gender couples have every legal- and moral right- to pursue equal treatment through the courts- and I applaud their successes. They should be treated legally exactly as my wife and i are when it comes to marriage.

Cease with your projection, I never "fought" against civil unions and in fact I have no qualms about same sex people having a union. Just don't call it "marriage".

gay-marriage-trend2.jpg

You people are stuck on polls, it's that desire to feel normal and accepted.

Well please tell us where you got your 50% figure, other than pulling it out of your posterior?

You were the one who claimed:
the reality is roughly 50% of the nation doesn't accept it as normal.

So what was that statement based upon- if we can't trust polls?

Forum List

Back