Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

Flat would be ideal, but just getting rid of all the exemptions, "incentives", and similar bullshit would be a fine start. And there'd be actual bipartisan support for such an effort.

A lot of the exemptions and deductions were put in place to justify higher rates. A change needs to involve reducing rates as well.

Linking the two issues isn't necessary and ensures gridlock. We should seize the opportunity for positive change, even if it results in higher net taxes for some. The argument for lower tax rates will be much more compelling when people are actually paying the rates in question.

Uh. Yes it is. Example. If you want to get rid of the mortgage deduction, then rates should be lowered for individuals.

If you want to get rid of depreciation on capital equipment as a deduction, then 100% of capital purchases should be eligible for deductions from income upon purchase.

We have a convoluted tax code because businesses and groups of individuals have quite rightly lobbied to offset high tax rates. You can't get rid of the deductions and leave rates high, unless you want to make the economy even worse.

the mortgage deduction is mostly just a favor for the real-estate lobby, it is a benefit renters dont get....it should be eliminated or severely cut back, with a cap.

businesses and groups have lobbied....you're right on that.

the pile up of debt is what will REALLY make the economy bad.....Eisenhower had a top MARGINAL rate of 91%.....we have since added even more to our debt....top rates should go back up to that.

Reagan stopped the credit card interest deductions, but left the mortgage interest deductions UNLIMITED and even for second homes? lol

END tax loopholes that benefit the rich, PRIMARY residence ONLY deduction AND cap it at $1,000,000 value (adjust it for inflation)!

I'd take the cap way way down to 250,000 ...if that.

Uh. Yes it is. Example. If you want to get rid of the mortgage deduction, then rates should be lowered for individuals.

If you want to get rid of depreciation on capital equipment as a deduction, then 100% of capital purchases should be eligible for deductions from income upon purchase.

We have a convoluted tax code because businesses and groups of individuals have quite rightly lobbied to offset high tax rates. You can't get rid of the deductions and leave rates high, unless you want to make the economy even worse.

the mortgage deduction is mostly just a favor for the real-estate lobby, it is a benefit renters dont get....it should be eliminated or severely cut back, with a cap.

the pile up of debt is what will REALLY make the economy bad.....Eisenhower had a top MARGINAL rate of 91%.....we have since added even more to our debt....top rates should go back up to that.

is there a rate that will pay for everything the Left is promising? would that 91% do the trick genius??

what has the left promised?............are you pumping up your straw man again.

WTF???

did you REALLY JUST ASK THAT?

straw man?

lol.............................

free college education

amnesty for 12 million, entitling them to billions in safety net benefits

thats just for starters idiot

im more with trump on immigration, but the cost of the folks already here in "safety benefits" is overblown by dunces such as yourself.

I dont believe anyone...not even Sanders is promising free college education....

dont be a dunce yourself leftard; show where those costs are "overblown" or STFU ok?

is there a rate that will pay for everything the Left is promising? would that 91% do the trick genius??

WTF???

straw man?

free college education

im more with trump on immigration, but the cost of the folks already here in "safety benefits" is overblown by dunces such as yourself.

I dont believe anyone...not even Sanders is promising free college education....

Democrats Are Crafting A Plan For Tuition-Free College
elitedaily.com/news/politics/democrats-plan...free-college/1134265/
Jul 22, 2015 - In the last two presidential elections, we have seen just how powerful young people can be when deciding the direction of the country.

WTF???

straw man?

free college education

dont be a dunce yourself leftard; show where those costs are "overblown" or STFU ok?

u r the asss that brought it up, you prove it.............or STFU ok

WTF???

straw man?

free college education

i already have idiot

lol

Obama's Amnesty Order Gives Medicaid And Social ...
downtrend.com/.../obamas-amnesty-order-gives-medicaid-and-social-sec...
Nov 25, 2014 - However, these legal illegal aliens will qualify for Medicaid, which is ... Under President Obama's new program to protect millions of illegal immigrants from deportation, many of those affected will be eligible to receive Social Security, ... will not be paying any income tax because they don't make enough ...

WTF???

straw man?

free college education

i already have idiot

lol

eligible....for social security......thats your worry..........they pay in....they get out............so...again...........STFU

Study: Qualifiers of Obama's Immigration Program Could ...
dailysignal.com/.../study-qualifiers-of-obamas-immigration-program-will...
Mar 18, 2015 - Based on that assumption, if 3.97 million illegal immigrant parents earn legal protection, ... They also immediately are eligible for two cash welfare programs: the ... “on the books” will add $7.2 billion per year in Social Security and federal ... to reapply for the program—to eventually earn health care benefits.

WTF???

straw man?

free college education

i already have idiot

lol

eligible....for social security......thats your worry..........they pay in....they get out............so...again...........STFU

NOT NECESSARILY YOU DULLARD

try again

We have the highest corporate taxes in the world and one of the slowest economies in the industrialized world. Does it never dawn on you selfish progressives that the two are connected?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
We went from being the country that manufactures for the rest of the world and everyone owed us money.

I can show you a million pork projects that could be cut but those are projects that go to the rich. End time first before you go after things like social security.

We aren't the superpower anymore. Let that shit go. Cut our military down to Australia or Canada levels.

And who owns the federal reserve? Private bankers. They love the debt. They own us. And there isn't a politician who will admit it except

Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders. So vote bernie

We made
Weve made lots of austerity cuts in the last 15 years. Hasn't made a dent in the debt. We need to cut military spending and corporate welfare

Cuts? Where at? The government is getting bigger budgets every year. We need some big time cuts. Corporate welfare needs to go. BofA, Wells Fargo, GE, GM, and Amtrak, need to be cut off. Then cut 15% across the rest of the budget. Raise taxes on everyone for four years, then cut them back. Get rid of tax exemptions for PACs. We need to also rein in all non-profit political organizations.
We spend more than the rest of the world combined on defense.

Didn't say we didn't, did I.
And you wonder why we're broke? Other countries aren't in debt because they don't spend so much on their military.

I heard the other day Norway has more money saved than their economy produces in a year. They saved their oil money from when gas was high because they knew it wouldn't last forever. So now they are using that money to help people. You would have given all the money to the rich and you would have never saved that money because your government doesn't do that.

Per capita, Japan, with no defense is more in debt than America. So are four other countries, including Greece. Are far as Norway, they carry a heavy debt also, I think you heard wrong. Tall tales is what you listened to. Reality what a concept.
Did you look at the link I shared about how much Norway has in the bank? Care to respond?

But then I notice you guys like to compare the USA to other economies until you don't like the results then you understand its not apples to apples.

We have large ghettos and prisons. Those things cost money. How do you solve that? More jobs and better schools and more police. In other words regulate industry better and definitely raise taxes on the rich.

Social Security Trustees Report: Unfunded Liability and ...
www.heritage.org/.../social-security-trustees-rep...
The Heritage Foundation
Aug 4, 2014 - Social Security ran a $71 billion deficit in 2013, closing out four years of consecutive cash-flow deficits as the program's unfunded obligations ...
That's a right wing conservative group of greedy rich people. F heritage.

great idiot. just remember you had nothing but to attack the messenger the next time you source HuffPo, or Factcheck.org, or Mother Jones, CNN, MSNBC.....ETC?>???????

Cuts? Where at? The government is getting bigger budgets every year. We need some big time cuts. Corporate welfare needs to go. BofA, Wells Fargo, GE, GM, and Amtrak, need to be cut off. Then cut 15% across the rest of the budget. Raise taxes on everyone for four years, then cut them back. Get rid of tax exemptions for PACs. We need to also rein in all non-profit political organizations.
We spend more than the rest of the world combined on defense.

Didn't say we didn't, did I.
And you wonder why we're broke? Other countries aren't in debt because they don't spend so much on their military.

I heard the other day Norway has more money saved than their economy produces in a year. They saved their oil money from when gas was high because they knew it wouldn't last forever. So now they are using that money to help people. You would have given all the money to the rich and you would have never saved that money because your government doesn't do that.

Per capita, Japan, with no defense is more in debt than America. So are four other countries, including Greece. Are far as Norway, they carry a heavy debt also, I think you heard wrong. Tall tales is what you listened to. Reality what a concept.
All Norwegians become crown millionaires, in oil saving landmark
Toddsterpatriot says what?

The Heritage Foundation
Aug 4, 2014 - Social Security ran a $71 billion deficit in 2013, closing out four years of consecutive cash-flow deficits as the program's unfunded obligations ...

great idiot. just remember you had nothing but to attack the messenger the next time you source HuffPo, or Factcheck.org, or Mother Jones, CNN, MSNBC.....ETC?>???????
I know what their position is. Are you rich? Then fine, heritage is the way to go. If you aren't rich, wake the f up.

Here's the difference. I can dig and find where this report is only half the story. Can you say huffpo stories are half truths like what we get with fox rush and heritage?

The Heritage Foundation

And it's true. The politicians borrowed from ss and we don't have enough workers to fund all the retired baby boomers. We know these things. It's what the heritage fund wants to do about it I disagree with.

Do you know what they want to do? You should if you are a spokesperson. Tell us what they/you are proposing we do about it?

As I stated, Republicans participated in all this, but were not the creators. Democrats started this mess. Now if you want to post one-sided stories, I can do the same if you'd like. I have dozens of them in my Housing Collapse folder if you'd like to take a look at.

YOUR inability to refute FACTS are noted Bubs

"Facts" from ThinkProgress.org, FactLeft.com, AmericansForTaxFairness, and WorkersParadise.com are suspect at best and a kind of loony leftist lunacy at worst.
You're a 1-trick propaganda robot, Princess, and considering how little positive response you get here, not a very good one.
:lmao:

Forum List

Back