Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

Forget about the "other" taxes the poor do pay?

Yet you are the one that forgets about those very same "other" taxes that the wealthy pay on top of income tax.

Yep, the US tax code is BARELY progressive, and thos taxes the "wealthy" pay are MUCH smaller percentage of their incomes than the poor, why do you think you right wingers created the meme on INCOME taxes at the federal level about the poor getting a free ride? lol

Because the poor and even middle-class do get a free ride. They pay no actual income tax at all. How much more of a free ride do you want?

Actually, the free ride is limited to those earning less than $35,000/yr meaning the middle class - those making over $35,000 - do indeed help pull the train. I may have told you the source of my irritation with the current tax structure:
A long time friend - single mom with some college & 2 kids - works as much o-time as necessary to provide the kids with the little extras (hockey, dance) most of us want for our children. When o-time wasn't available she would take a 2nd job. She drove herself to have a life - nurturing, providing for & teaching her children, maintaining strong family & friend ties and working out daily - often at the cost of sleep.
She neither sought nor accepted gov't aid and always earned a bit more than the free-riders so that this hard-working, responsible mom annually paid at least some federal personal income tax which our gov't, in all its "wisdom and justice," used to supplement the income of those who couldn't or wouldn't match her effort.
She never expects or demands that society ("the rich") provide for her and hers ... she does what is necessary to be self-sufficient.

Weird, you'd think the "free market" would pay enough to live on AND be able to pay income taxes, why has the "free market" failed on this end the past 35 years AS Gov't policy has shifted the tax burden off the richest?

Yeah .. it can't possibly be that the non-contributors to our federal tax burden are just unwilling to make the effort. My friend has proven that thanks to the OPPORTUNITIES available to us ambition, pride, determination and grit can be enough to provide for ones family in America. Perhaps you hand-wringing Chicken Littles should stop playing Mommy to those who rather than make the effort are a drag on America. Frankly, she (and all who do produce) has paid a terrible price for our leech class.

Agreed.

This discussion reminds me of a couple I rent an apartment to. He works full time plus, and in spite of many illnesses, she works part-time. Neither make any real money; no skills, no education, no trade.

When he gets home from work, he quickly helps her load her car for her office cleaning chores. They both head out to clean offices until 7:30 pm when they return home. When she doesn't need his help, he runs around town collecting scrap metal which he turns in to the scrap yard during his lunch time at his full-time job.

He does pretty well turning in junk. All cash, no paper trail. Because he knows the people so well at the scrap yard, they save him bicycles that he buys from them. He fixes them up and sells them on Craigs List. When he's not doing that, he refinishes furniture he picked up out of the garbage and sells that too.

They are early with the rent every month by at least one week. They both drive new vehicles. Yes, they still have to watch their money, but they are the quintessential of real Americans in my opinion. You don't see younger people like that anymore.

It doesn't matter how little college costs or the fact that well-intentioned rich guys try to make a difference. You can't force disinterested people to accept a golden opportunity if they know a non-productive free-ride is the option:

June 19, 1987. On the stage in the hot auditorium of the Belmont Elementary School in West Philadelphia were 112 students, all of them black, all between eleven and fourteen years old, most from families on public assistance. For some reason unknown to them, their graduation from sixth grade was being recorded by TV cameras and attended by Philadelphia dignitaries. Diane Weiss, a woman they had never seen before, took the stage, threw a football at them, and announced in breathless, quivering tones that she and her husband, George, would send them all to college—free.

The students, for the most part, were baffled. But their parents and teachers were not. The room erupted in cheers and tears as they recognized the import of this extraordinary offer. Nothing seemed impossible at that moment—not even the notion that 112 children from this tragically blighted pocket of Philadelphia could beat the odds and go to college.

Twelve years later, George Weiss—who could not attend the announcement himself because of a bad back—has spent more than $5 million on these students, for tutoring, counseling, social services, and college expenses. By some analysts’ reckoning, what he’s gotten for his money—so far, eleven Bachelor’s degrees, two Associate’s degrees, and seven vocational certificates—isn’t much.

The $5 Million Lesson | Excellence in Philanthropy | The Philanthropy Roundtable

WTF does that have to do with anything? War zones suq?
Because the poor and even middle-class do get a free ride. They pay no actual income tax at all. How much more of a free ride do you want?

Actually, the free ride is limited to those earning less than $35,000/yr meaning the middle class - those making over $35,000 - do indeed help pull the train. I may have told you the source of my irritation with the current tax structure:
A long time friend - single mom with some college & 2 kids - works as much o-time as necessary to provide the kids with the little extras (hockey, dance) most of us want for our children. When o-time wasn't available she would take a 2nd job. She drove herself to have a life - nurturing, providing for & teaching her children, maintaining strong family & friend ties and working out daily - often at the cost of sleep.
She neither sought nor accepted gov't aid and always earned a bit more than the free-riders so that this hard-working, responsible mom annually paid at least some federal personal income tax which our gov't, in all its "wisdom and justice," used to supplement the income of those who couldn't or wouldn't match her effort.
She never expects or demands that society ("the rich") provide for her and hers ... she does what is necessary to be self-sufficient.

Weird, you'd think the "free market" would pay enough to live on AND be able to pay income taxes, why has the "free market" failed on this end the past 35 years AS Gov't policy has shifted the tax burden off the richest?

Taking on extra work to make ends meet is the free market. You are free to make as much money as you desire or need. In my younger days, I did it many times myself.

But if we taxed all the rich at 80%, how does that help the working middle-class? Would they see ten cents of that money government collected?
Who said anything about 80%, fool? Training, education, infrastructure- all ruined by Reaganists over 30 years. See sig for worst inequality ever, dipstick. Change the gd channel, perfect chump of the greedy idiot rich GOP.

Loony leftist BS.
Over 1/3 of NY kids don't finish high school. HIGH SCHOOL!
It's free.
It doesn't cost 'em a dime yet they don't care enough about themselves, their communities or America to even make the effort.
I did not work nor do I expect ANYONE to work to support those who refuse - by their actons - to make the effort.
Shytty jobs with dying wage, public college costs doubled just under W, guns everywhere. Great job! Speaking of PUB gov't getting out of the way.

It was in response to the mindless a-hole who claimed "Training, education, infrastructure- all ruined by Reaganists over 30 years." There's tons of opportunity for success in America but some, like the aforementioned a-hole, would rather waste his life whining about how "unfair" it all is.
Whining, sniveling loony leftist a-holes.

Last edited:

Taking on extra work to make ends meet is the free market. You are free to make as much money as you desire or need. In my younger days, I did it many times myself.

But if we taxed all the rich at 80%, how does that help the working middle-class? Would they see ten cents of that money government collected?
Who said anything about 80%, fool? Training, education, infrastructure- all ruined by Reaganists over 30 years. See sig for worst inequality ever, dipstick. Change the gd channel, perfect chump of the greedy idiot rich GOP.

Loony leftist BS.
It's free.
It doesn't cost 'em a dime yet they don't care enough about themselves, their communities or America to even make the effort.
I did not work nor do I expect ANYONE to work to support those who refuse - by their actons - to make the effort.
Shytty jobs with dying wage, public college costs doubled just under W, guns everywhere. Great job! Speaking of PUB gov't getting out of the way.

So what did Bush have to do with the price of college? Again, colleges are run mostly by liberals who are getting rich. Shitty jobs and dying wage? Who was the President these past near seven years? Bush? And who is responsible for "guns being everywhere?" I'll give you a hint.......................

Loony leftist BS.
It's free.

So what did Bush have to do with the price of college? Again, colleges are run mostly by liberals who are getting rich. Shitty jobs and dying wage? Who was the President these past near seven years? Bush? And who is responsible for "guns being everywhere?" I'll give you a hint.......................
Well they changed laws so their pals could run overpriced, over advertised online crap U's to soak returning GI's and leave them with BS- also let banks jack up loans to further screw them. Cut federal aid to state schools. Read something, Pub dupe.

Yep, the US tax code is BARELY progressive, and thos taxes the "wealthy" pay are MUCH smaller percentage of their incomes than the poor, why do you think you right wingers created the meme on INCOME taxes at the federal level about the poor getting a free ride? lol

Yeah .. it can't possibly be that the non-contributors to our federal tax burden are just unwilling to make the effort. My friend has proven that thanks to the OPPORTUNITIES available to us ambition, pride, determination and grit can be enough to provide for ones family in America. Perhaps you hand-wringing Chicken Littles should stop playing Mommy to those who rather than make the effort are a drag on America. Frankly, she (and all who do produce) has paid a terrible price for our leech class.

Agreed.

This discussion reminds me of a couple I rent an apartment to. He works full time plus, and in spite of many illnesses, she works part-time. Neither make any real money; no skills, no education, no trade.

When he gets home from work, he quickly helps her load her car for her office cleaning chores. They both head out to clean offices until 7:30 pm when they return home. When she doesn't need his help, he runs around town collecting scrap metal which he turns in to the scrap yard during his lunch time at his full-time job.

He does pretty well turning in junk. All cash, no paper trail. Because he knows the people so well at the scrap yard, they save him bicycles that he buys from them. He fixes them up and sells them on Craigs List. When he's not doing that, he refinishes furniture he picked up out of the garbage and sells that too.

They are early with the rent every month by at least one week. They both drive new vehicles. Yes, they still have to watch their money, but they are the quintessential of real Americans in my opinion. You don't see younger people like that anymore.

Sounds great, working like dogs all over town when 1 job should be enough to make them satisfied. Thanks GOP! at least now they have healthcare.

Loony leftist BS.
It's free.

Pubs who have obstructed Obama on EVERYTHING the whole time DUH, and their flog the nonrich and the country policies, Pub dupe. At least no corrupt bubble/world depression and dumbass wars anymore.

Agreed.

Sounds great, working like dogs all over town when 1 job should be enough to make them satisfied. Thanks GOP! at least now they have healthcare.

Yeah ... your 18 hr work week making fries at McD's should be more than enough to cover your needs. The idea of working for a living is clearly beneath your dignity and your compassion for those who pull their own weight is just as clearly missing.

Agreed.

Yeah ... your 18 hr work week making fries at McD's should be more than enough to cover your needs. The idea of working for a living is clearly beneath your dignity and your compassion for those who pull their own weight is just as clearly missing.
Jeebus what a brainwashed feqhead lol. BTW, I'm a retired teacher/businessman, and you appear to have brain damage lol...

Loony leftist BS.
It's free.

Pubs who have obstructed Obama on EVERYTHING the whole time DUH, and their flog the nonrich and the country policies, Pub dupe. At least no corrupt bubble/world depression and dumbass wars anymore.

No corrupt bubble? LOL! Certainly you jest.

You are correct, we do not have any wars. That's the rewards for giving up to your enemies. And while the ISIS flag flies proudly over Iraq, and the Cuban flag files proudly over the White House, remember that Iran is still working on nukes to bring about WWIII. But of course we won't be able to blame Hussein for it. He'll be long gone. That's the way his little contract with Iran was designed.

Agreed.

They are quite conservative and therefore, believe that people should support themselves if anyway possible. That's unlike liberals who believe in having only one job, and if the job doesn't pay enough, blame somebody else and get on a government program(s) to make up the difference.

And don't try to blame Republicans. People having two jobs is an old school thing that's been around for decades. Many times I've held two (or more) jobs and the same holds true of my parents. Of course back then, people had pride. Government handouts were for losers and only a failure would accept government assistance. Then again, liberalism is all about removing integrity from our country.

Agreed.

They are quite conservative and therefore, believe that people should support themselves if anyway possible. That's unlike liberals who believe in having only one job, and if the job doesn't pay enough, blame somebody else and get on a government program(s) to make up the difference.

And don't try to blame Republicans. People having two jobs is an old school thing that's been around for decades. Many times I've held two (or more) jobs and the same holds true of my parents. Of course back then, people had pride. Government handouts were for losers and only a failure would accept government assistance. Then again, liberalism is all about removing integrity from our country.

It's Walmart and companies like that who are pushing for welfare for people who don't earn enough.

Jeebus what a brainwashed feqhead lol. BTW, I'm a retired teacher/businessman, and you appear to have brain damage lol...

One job is usually enough if one gets an education or training. For those whose skills limit them to working a cash register, a 2nd job is required. For too many who are pampered by Dem gov't policies (in exchange for their votes), one part-time min wage job and gov't bennies - paid for by the taxes of hard working people like the single mom I described earlier - is good enough. Pathetic.
BTW, if one as ignorant as you was actually a teacher, it certainly explains how so many American children are failed by our education system and why only 65% of NYC kids graduate high school.
As for the biz acumen you've exhibited here...
:lmao:

Last edited:

Agreed.

It's Walmart and companies like that who are pushing for welfare for people who don't earn enough.

They are? Why would Wal-Mart have a care in the world about welfare? It doesn't benefit them. But I suppose you have evidence of this push for welfare Wal-Mart is involved in?

I didn't think so.

Agreed.

You forgot to include any support for your latest monumentally stupid statement because - drum roll, please - it is untrue.
BTW, as of this past April, Walmart's min wage average for a full-timer is $13/hr while part-timers on average get $10.
In February their pay will increase by another $1/hr.
That is well above the gov't requirement but nothing Walmart does would ever satisfy the whiny, sniveling loony leftists among us. NOTHING.

Agreed.

They are? Why would Wal-Mart have a care in the world about welfare? It doesn't benefit them. But I suppose you have evidence of this push for welfare Wal-Mart is involved in?

I didn't think so.

Walmart pays people so little that they can get welfare payments and work at the same time. This is why Walmart care, because without this they wouldn't be able to get such cheap labor.

For example, healthcare coverage. Walmart has a much lower proportion of workers on healthcare than other companies that are similar to Walmart. Why? They make it hard for them to get on the company health insurance plan.
A full time worker has to wait 6 months before they can get on. A part time worker 2 years.

This costs the US money because these people end up on state funded health care. We're talking more then 50% of the workers here. The average time at large companies is 1.3 months to get health insurance.

Also workers pay a lot of their healthcare costs. 16% is the average in the US, Walmart employees pay over 40%.

Walmart spent around $3,500 per employee on healthcare. The national average is $5,600.
Employees take some of this, the govt takes the rest.

California spend $20 million covering the cost of Walmart not paying people their healthcare. Walmart actively encourages its employees to seek funding for healthcare from the government.

Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay For Wal-Mart: Wal-Mart's Labor Record / CONGRESSMAN GEORGE MILLER / Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce / U.S. House of Representatives 16feb04

"
The Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee. Specifically, the low wages result in the following additional public costs being passed along to taxpayers:

• $36,000 a year for free and reduced lunches for just 50 qualifying Wal-Mart families.
  • $42,000 a year for Section 8 housing assistance, assuming 3 percent of the store employees qualify for such assistance, at $6,700 per family.
  • $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families, assuming 50 employees are heads of household with a child and 50 are married with two children.
  • $100,000 a year for the additional Title I expenses, assuming 50 Wal-Mart families qualify with an average of 2 children.
  • $108,000 a year for the additional federal health care costs of moving into state children's health insurance programs (S-CHIP), assuming 30 employees with an average of two children qualify.
  • $9,750 a year for the additional costs for low income energy assistance."

Basically Walmart costs the US loads of money.

Agreed.

You forgot to include any support for your latest monumentally stupid statement because - drum roll, please - it is untrue.
BTW, as of this past April, Walmart's min wage average for a full-timer is $13/hr while part-timers on average get $10.
In February their pay will increase by another $1/hr.
That is well above the gov't requirement but nothing Walmart does would ever satisfy the whiny, sniveling loony leftists among us. NOTHING.

Above government requirement? Hardly difficult. However it's not just the amount of money they get paid. See my post above.

rich people are rich because they are smarter, more industrious and network better than the whining losers who complain about the rich. No matter what the government, there are always rich, and there are alway scalded monkeys whining about them
Do I know you from another website (which shall go nameless) a long time ago?

Forum List

Back