Slate: You are a racist if you don't date other races

Attraction is up to the individual and is natural and often unpredictable.

Only the PC Police could come up with a stupid question like this.

Skin color on the brain. 24/7.

Last edited:

Typically, you failed to discuss the point.

The question is not one of attraction. It is of a conscious decision not to date outside of ones race. That would include people who make that decision in spite of having an attraction.

You know this....because you are not that stupid. But.....for some reason....you wish to pretend that you do not.

Honesty. Give it a shot!

Last edited:

The question is not one of attraction. It is of a conscious decision not to date outside of ones race. That would include people who make that decision in spite of having an attraction.

You know this....because you are not that stupid. But.....for some reason....you wish to pretend that you do not.

Honesty. Give it a shot!
It doesn't mean you are racist, I mean it could but other factors would have to be included as well.

It's a mind reading question that's lazy in order to create buzz.

Honesty. Give it a shot!
It doesn't mean you are racist, I mean it could but other factors would have to be included as well.

It's a mind reading question that's lazy in order to create buzz.

Precisely.

Most of us can understand that.

Life isn't as simplistic as some would like to believe.

Last edited:
If you consciously refuse to date people outside of your race that is by definition racist. :cuckoo:

It doesn't get more complicated than that.
Conscious refusal to date outside one's race would be categorical racism only if feelings of ethnic superiority, malice, or contempt is the motivating factor. But choosing to date only members of one's race on the basis of exclusive physical or personal appeal is a matter of natural impulse and should not be thought of as racism.

Actually both of those contexts are racist. Racism is defined by finding one or more races inferior in some context--attraction included. Malice is not necessary. We are talking about an objective defintion of a word. What is morally or socially acceptable does not have to be relevant.

MikeK was right and you're wrong. Personal preference is not racist. The premise of this thread is idiotic.

Conscious refusal to date outside one's race would be categorical racism only if feelings of ethnic superiority, malice, or contempt is the motivating factor. But choosing to date only members of one's race on the basis of exclusive physical or personal appeal is a matter of natural impulse and should not be thought of as racism.

Actually both of those contexts are racist. Racism is defined by finding one or more races inferior in some context--attraction included. Malice is not necessary. We are talking about an objective defintion of a word. What is morally or socially acceptable does not have to be relevant.

MikeK was right and you're wrong. Personal preference is not racist. The premise of this thread is idiotic.

If they don't scream "racist" two or three times a day their heads may explode.

Must have been a slow couple of days, so they came up with this.

:laugh:

You people are letting the negative connotations interfere with your understanding of the definition of racism. Whether or not it is morally wrong to only date your race or certain races is irrelevant. The defintion of racism is the belief that one or more races is inferior in some context.
For instance, even though I have nothing against the hispanic race in general, I still find black women more attractive than Hispanic women. That, by defintion, is racist.

But if a white person says that blacks are excellent basketball players, dancers and jazz musicians, that white person would be accused of stereo-typing and being condescending and patronizing.

Go figure.

Clearly there is a difference between REFUSING to date people of other cultures vs. not finding them attractive.

Excellent point. I agree.

This post is trying to manipulate the definition of the word "racism", the writer clearly didn't think it through. Or maybe they did and wanted drama, like the OP.

I found the article nuanced and well written. Read to the end, it argues the opposite of the title. For example it argues that intermarriage is less conducive to breaking down racist attitudes than "inter-dining". Maybe the author was being over-cute; but certainly not lacking in forethought. Clearly the author intended to be provocative to be able to make his point.

Clearly the question is will you refuse to date someone if they are a different color/tone based on their color/tone?

If you are questioning yourself on whether or not to date someone and color/tone comes into the question, you are a racist. And this is the point of the writer. If you are attracted to someone, color/tone does not and should not matter. "She is so fun and so awesome, but she is black and my parents won't accept me dating her!"....Racism.

Good point.

I had a rather unusual situation in that my father was a civil rights leader in the 40's and 50's until his death in the mid 60's. In the early 70's I got a job offer to teach at an historically black college and took it. It was a good job and I had saved the world when I was an undergraduate (actually the "organizer phase" lasted about two weeks for me and I was lucky enough that I didn't get anyone killed, for which I am eternally grateful). About halfway through the first semester I discovered that I was one of two white faculty members who didn't understand we were SUPPOSED to have white guilt. The other was Earnst Borinski, a German Jewish lawyer who fled to the US in the 30's after becoming the youngest judge in the Weimar Republic. So of course he became a sociologist. But I wander.

There was another faculty member who was a professor of social work. The hot topic for her was her desire to ban interracial adoptions. I liked Shani a lot, but we locked horns on this one; she was adamant that interracial adoptions, especially white parents adopting minority children, amounted to cultural genocide, producing lost children who didn't understand who they were. I disagreed.

But the issue had a wonderful clarifying quality. Interracial adoption is the same issue as interracial dating, without the sex. I think it opens the door to a better reflection on racism. Suppose someone is simply not attracted to members of other ethnic groups, but wants to adopt and instantly bonds to a child of another ethnic group. Are they racist?

Let me know what you think. Peace all.

Last edited:
Dishonest headline. Attributing this to "Slate" is extremely dishonest. Slate links to a multitude of opinion columnists - this was just one of them.

There's nothing racist about preferring to date someone whose race, culture, religion (whatever) is similar to yours.

If however you would not even consider dating someone with dissimilar backgrounds then yeah that's sorta racist, ethnocentric (whatever)

So what?

People have every right to have these kinds of preferences when it comes to how they're dating, mating or simple hooking up.

If she looks like this I would date her.
halle-berry-2009-26967.jpg

If she looks like this, no friggn way.

image4-600x349.jpg

What planet were you on when liberals were against interracial marriage.

I wasn't born when the passed them. So I was in the great beyond.

In December 1912 and January 1913, Representative Seaborn Roddenbery (Democrat of Georgia) again introduced a proposal in the United States House of Representatives to insert a prohibition of miscegenation into the US Constitution and thus create a nationwide ban on interracial marriage. According to the wording of the proposed amendment, "Intermarriage between negros or persons of color and Caucasians... within the United States... is forever prohibited." Roddenbery's proposal was more severe because it defined the racial boundary between whites and "persons of color" by applying the one-drop rule. In his proposed amendment, anyone with "any trace of African or Negro blood" was banned from marrying a white spouse.
Roddenbery's proposed amendment was also a direct reaction to African American heavyweight champion Jack Johnson's marriages to white women, first to Etta Duryea and then to Lucille Cameron. In 1908, Johnson had become the first black boxing world champion, having beaten Tommy Burns. After his victory, the search was on for a white boxer, a "Great White Hope", to beat Johnson. Those hopes were dashed in 1910, when Johnson beat former world champion Jim Jeffries. This victory ignited race riots all over America as frustrated whites attacked celebrating African Americans.[20] Johnson's marriages to and affairs with white women further infuriated white Americans. In his speech introducing his bill before the United States Congress, Roddenbery compared the marriage of Johnson and Cameron to the enslavement of white women, and warned of future civil war that would ensue if interracial marriage was not made illegal nationwide:
No brutality, no infamy, no degradation in all the years of southern slavery, possessed such villainious character and such atrocious qualities as the provision of the laws of Illinois, Massachusetts, and other states which allow the marriage of the negro, Jack Johnson, to a woman of Caucasian strain. [applause]. Gentleman, I offer this resolution ... that the States of the Union may have an opportunity to ratifty it. ...
Intermarriage between whites and blacks is repulsive and averse to every sentiment of pure American spirit. It is abhorrent and repugnant to the very principles of Saxon government. It is subversive of social peace. It is destructive of moral supremacy, and ultimately this slavery of white women to black beasts will bring this nation a conflict as fatal as ever reddened the soil of Virginia or crimsoned the mountain paths of Pennsylvania.
... Let us uproot and exterminate now this debasing, ultra-demoralizing, un-American and inhuman leprosy —Congressional Record, 62d. Congr., 3d. Sess., December 11, 1912, pp. 502–503

Anti-miscegenation laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right - well, here's the thing. If you have to time travel to make your point? Don't bother.

Yea right, time travel is only allowed when libtards like bd bitch needs to make a point.

The most compassionate people on the planet are white women, and blacks use that compassion against them

Is that really the stupidest thing you could think of? Surely you have the creativity to come up with something even a little bit more ignorant.
Who is it you think that feed the negro babies in Africa?

Good work. You did come up with something even more ignorant. You are very dependable.

I know of many black guys who tell white women they're racist if they won't date them.

Black guys use racism to guilt white women, I want white women to know you're not racist if you don't want to date blacks.
I don't believe the guilt gimmick would work on a White woman who actually did not want the attentions of a Black man. But I do believe some White women who wish to make use of Black men as animated substitutes for vibrators and dildoes might find the racial guilt factor to be a convenient justification.
The most compassionate people on the planet are white women, and blacks use that compassion against them

The majority of white women I've dated are the opposite of compassionate.

There should be some new college courses examing this issue that students must take to expand their politically correct awareness...to enlighten themselves...lol

Now that liberals have identified a new avenue of racism, they need to pass a few laws to correct it.

Forum List

Back